• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Yes , fine... ok I'll admit it

linuxguygary

Ok,  I guess its time to come clean and admit my stupidity.

Earlier this spring, ALMOST the first ride of the season after a cold / bitter winter I had just washed and shined up my 2011 C14. My overly helpful next door neighbor wandered over to chit-chat. Now to my credit I had just cleaned up in the garage and moved two other street bikes around a bit, washing them too. I always put everything up on the centerstands because it so much easier to clean wheels etc. Now the other two bikes take a different approach than than the C14 does, for them I just grab the bars, while holding the front brake, get the stand centered and then after a small push/rebound of the forks, step down on the centerstand an pull the bike up. Now this approach works just great on those lighter narrower bikes.  But for the Connie, not so much.. While I was jockeying the bikes and washing supplies around the driveway I decided to put the C14 on the centerstand to finish up the wash-n-shine, and not thinking (I blame my neighbor for diverting my attention with his outrageous stories of craziness) I grabbed the bars, pushed the centerstand down to get it balanced on both legs gave a push and a yank and the black freshly cleaned, waxed and buffed beast came back to within 1mm of the balance point and then gravity took over and to my surprise the bike did not cam over on the centerstand, but sank back frontward on its wheels.  At this point I'm stretched out to reach the bars while standing on the left side of the bike, and have one foot on the centerstand arm.  So as you can imagine the direction all that weight decided to take the bike was NOT toward the left (which the side stand down that was still down would have caught), but away from me onto the concrete. My neighbor and I both said the exact same "OH $**t!" and quickly rushed around to pick up the bike. Thinking that the less time it was on the ground the less damage there would be.

Once it was back up, I quickly surveyed the damages. The mirror, lower fairing, mid fairing and the foot peg sensor bolt were all broken, the upper fairing has a large scuff of the edge and the CS One slip on touch and got a small scratch. I was so disheartened that I gathered up the bike & pieces , rolled it back into the garage and didn't even ride that weekend even though it was a perfect spring weekend to go.

So after ordering parts (Nearly $900 all said & done) I got it back together and can now say that I've already dropped it so I no longer have that first one to look forward to.

I believe this qualifies me for a CDA number?  :-[

I see some long-time members on the CDA list so I do not feel too bad about joining this not so exclusive club.

I am sure you will qualify.  Sorry, it is little reward for the worst day of the bikes life.  At least you were at home and had help there.  Try it over 1k miles from home at 6am in the hotel parking lot where it hits the truck next to you snapping the windshield off.  No fun but hey I have a story to tell.

it is little reward for the worst day of the bikes life.  At least you were at home and had help there.  Try it over 1k miles from home at 6am in the hotel parking lot where it hits the truck next to you snapping the windshield off.

AGREED!  That really would ruin the day,  and I am glad it was not worse or in a more public place!  :smiley_confused1:

Too bad these bikes go down so hard . My old KZ took a couple drops with no damage to speak of .

I put my bike on the centerstand today and for the second time I put a 2x8x12 board in front of the rear tire
and rolled it up onto the board.  It is so much easier to lift the bike onto the centerstand that way.

I know that won't help the past, but maybe in the future you won't have to push on the bars to help it up
if you decide to give the board tip a try.

I think that will be my standard practice from this time on.

Sorry to hear about your drop - not looking forward to the day that happens - at  least I now have Canyon Cages.  :great:

Yep, Canyon Cages cost a lot less than $900 and really do work well.  And yes, you do qualify for the CDA.  Glad you weren't hurt!

Glad to encounter another Linux guy too!  I'm running Bodhi Linux with the Enlightenment UI and the 3.x kernel.

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 558th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have yet another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:
0554 C10 David Lovelady
0555 C10 Paul Nosek
0556 C10 Michael Hotz
0557 C10 Dale McGinnis
0558 C14 Gary Hurley