• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Yikes - Tires Again!

Crashcup

Sheesh. Was all set to get Michelin Pilot GTs for my C10. Then found out they're backordered, and they don't expect delivery until Aug 25th. Well, my original front tire is cupped and starting to howl in turns, and my original rear is almost down to no center groove. I don't think I want to wait until the end of the month. My backup plan was to get Dunlop Elite 3s - in the same sizes I ordered the Pilot GTs: 130/70H18 ft and 160/80H16 rr. THEN... the parts dude at the shop says "well, both the Pilot GTs you have on order, and the Elite 3's are bias ply, and your bike's original tires were radial [true enough], and I wouldn't recommened switching to bias ply". He also asked twice "Are you sure this size will fit? It's not the original size." So.... I thought I had done all the reading here I needed to... sounds like dozens if not hundreds of C10 riders have used the "wing" size tires with good results. But, are you using bias ply? I *think* a lot of the tires I read about were not available in radial. Not much selection for the 18 and 16 in rims. Help - can you tell me if I'm okay going with the bias-ply tires before I start another search looking for radials? I don't want to go with the original tire -they're crap, and I've heard the Dunlop D205's are not the greatest option. Thanks!! 2005 Concours - "CRT" until I a better name reveals itself.

Yes, you're okay going with the bias-ply tire. The GT's are a little bigger than the OEM tire and you may have to deflate the tires or remove one side of the front fender attachment nuts to install the front tire but the tires will work and work pretty well. You will find the larger tire and rounder profile slows the turn-in noticeably and you will need to work a bit more in technical twisties but most riders who make the change to GT's like them. The E3's are available in radials as well as bias-ply in the GL1800 sizes (I don't know if the GL1500 uses the same sizes or not). I'm on my second set of GT's and I really like them. I've used the OEM tire and the Metzler ME880 and the GT's beat them both for wet and dry handling. The 880's win the tire mileage but loose big time on wet braking (especially in cooler weather). YMMV

Thanks Jim, I can't find the 160/80-16 Elite 3 rear in a radial, even on the Dunlop website. But, if i know the bias will work, I'll check around locally and see if I can find a place that has them in stock. 2005 Concours - "CRT" until I a better name reveals itself.

You mean there's a difference? :| Sorta like the time I chugged a qt of cooking oil and then a qt of polyunsaturated cooking oil, damn if I could tell a difference.

Hey Dude, I purchased a set from Murph, 7-12-09, before I went to Deals Gap for a week. I'm just getting around to putting them on and guess what? The shop Tech comes to me and says that the front is scrapping and doesn't fit! Any way I'm not able to retool/make it work. Be sure to get all the technical info before upgrading. I'm looking for a front tire as we speak! and The back may scrape center stand! RIDE SAFE!

If you've ever followed Ranger Jim through the curves, you will know that the Pilot GT's work! An other alternative is the Avon Venom in the 'wing sizes. It also a bias ply tire. I'm well into my first pair and am very happy with them. I have had no clearance issues. Just another option. Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

You mean there's a difference?
I assume this refers to bias ply versus radial. An interesting question. As a person who ran a set of Pilot GT's I was plenty happy with them. And not against them as a choice. This is of course to start a tire thread. In a recent thread where I was defending the GT's as a choice I got looking at Dunlop website and their FAQ. -- When it comes to size, which is often a argument for not using Wing Size tires, Dunlop says that if you have factored in proper fit on the wheel, clearances, etc. that going +1 size is generally ok. They do of course give CYA statement about getting MFG approval. But I read it as a CYA thing and generally say +1 is ok as long as it fits right and has clearance. However to answer the question above, they had an FAQ about switching to/from Bias and Radials. Here they claim there were a lot of changes to steering geometry and suspension to get the M/C out of the Bias Ply era and into the modern Radial tire era. They state if your M/C came with Radials stay with Radials, and visa versa. They were pretty much against any swapping from Radials to Bias Ply. Anyways the short answer to the question is there must be some difference for Dunlop to be just plain against going from Radials to Bias. Having said that of course, I was plenty happy with Pilot Gt's. Currently using D205's though. 2003 Concours, 54K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

.... The shop Tech comes to me and says that the front is scrapping and doesn't fit! Any way I'm not able to retool/make it work. Be sure to get all the technical info before upgrading. I'm looking for a front tire as we speak! and The back may scrape center stand! RIDE SAFE!
Are you sure he wasn't just talking about it scraping the fender mounting bolts as he was lifting it up in, I just put a set of Avon Venoms (Wing Size) on my 04 and the front did scrape the bolts going in I let some air out and rocked it a little and up she went. Once in there was plenty of clearance as the wide part of the tire is well above the bolt heads. If we're talking about a pre 94 then it's different and to tell you the truth I never paid much attention to those discussions. Russ Neal North Stonington, Ct Originally from Willsboro, NY 04 Connie 99 Yamaha Venture IBA # 32003 Venturers.org # 1774

While the dont rub once installed on the front. I am not too sure about the rear. Here is a pic of the rear of the bike with no rear tire, swing arm, etc. This was when I did the 7th gear unit. Notice the rear fender, front just above the swingarm, slightly off center. -- I have always wondered how that happened. http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/DSCN0306.JPG 2003 Concours, 54K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

They were pretty much against any swapping from Radials to Bias So I met them half way by running a radial 110 BT021 up front with a bias 150 Shinko 777 in the rear.

WOW...mixing radials with bias....I am surprised they let you do that but turn you away from bais altogether. As for the GT's, took off Avons because I burn thru tires pretty quickly and can't continue to afford the Avons....replaced them with GTs, Wing size. Couldn't be happier and yes, I can drag my pegs if that extra bit of adrenaline in needed. Let us know how the mixed tires work out...