• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

You've gotta shop around

Cap'n Bob

I always make it a habit of shopping around when I need to buy tires for the bikes. Well I decided to buy a set for the FJR since they will need replacing in the near future. I prefer to have them on hand ahead of time. So I went shopping on the web sites. Well this time, the place that has been the best prices the last couple of times was now the most expensive. The difference in price (to my door) between the cheapest and highest was a difference of  $87.04. (for a set of tires) That's a pretty big difference. And a pretty big premium to pay for not taking a few minutes to shop around on the web sites. I just thought I would pass this on for the folks who just buy without shopping. And I am not listing the companies because what is the cheapest or most expensive today, may not be tomorrow. Always shop around every time.  ;)

Good point, Bob, if you do all your shopping on line. But I want to point out an alternative. Buying local if possible.

No, it won't be cheaper than the on-line discounters, but it helps the local business man. Case in point - Zoom Cycles in Santa Clara. They've been in business since the early 70's, and had expanded over the years. This last year the owner, Dan, had to downside and renegotiate the terms of his building lease. Truth be told, he's hanging on by a thread. I, and a lot of other riders in the area, would hate to see this long time resource in our area go by the wayside because it's cheaper to buy on-line. I'm willing to pay the premium to help keep him in business. Dan's always been there for me, and I'll do what I can to be there for him.

Buy local if you can - help the small business owner.

I agree with that Jim. But in my case, my local shops want substantially more for the tires. And since I normally install them myself, I go the other route. Now if for some reason the bike was in the shop. I have payed the premium and gave them the work buying and having them install them. But with most of my parts. I try to buy through them first (with in reason).

I tried to stay local with my tire business but my they never have my sizes..C10 . They told me they would stock a couple for me but when I returned once again....no tires . Tried twice and won't try again .

JPavlis_CA said:
Good point, Bob, if you do all your shopping on line. But I want to point out an alternative. Buying local if possible.

No, it won't be cheaper than the on-line discounters, but it helps the local business man. Case in point - Zoom Cycles in Santa Clara. They've been in business since the early 70's, and had expanded over the years. This last year the owner, Dan, had to downside and renegotiate the terms of his building lease. Truth be told, he's hanging on by a thread. I, and a lot of other riders in the area, would hate to see this long time resource in our area go by the wayside because it's cheaper to buy on-line. I'm willing to pay the premium to help keep him in business. Dan's always been there for me, and I'll do what I can to be there for him.

I've been doing this for years. We have one (count 'em, one) good motorcycle shop in town. They are excellent in everything they do but have been hit hard by the recent downturn. I buy from them whenever I can and only go on-line if they are way too expensive or cannot get the part for some reason. I have them mount and balance as well since the shop needs work also (plus they only charge $20.00 per wheel, hand carried in).

Even though things are tight, they let me bring in valve adjustment shims to trade across the counter, no charge.

It's all good.

Dan

Bergmen said:
I've been doing this for years. We have one (count 'em, one) good motorcycle shop in town. They are excellent in everything they do but have been hit hard by the recent downturn. I buy from them whenever I can and only go on-line if they are way too expensive or cannot get the part for some reason. I have them mount and balance as well since the shop needs work also (plus they only charge $20.00 per wheel, hand carried in).

Even though things are tight, they let me bring in valve adjustment shims to trade across the counter, no charge.

It's all good.

Dan
Around here the MC shops are 50% HIGHER than On-line retailers AND charge $35-$60 per tire change...IF you buy their tires (much much higher if I bring my own). That IS NOT good Customer Service. If they charged $15 per (their) tire (carry in of course) I'd be more likely to support them. I have now found a guy that mounts tires for $15.00 a pop (carry in) and he does really good work. If I order On-Line I can ship straight to him and he will call me when they show up. I know where my business is going as far as tires go!
I'd like to buy local, and do as often as I can, but the dealers are pricing themselves out of business, and very few have even OK customer service anymore.
It's sad, and I want them to stay in business, but with the pricing that they have, they have only themselves to blame. Cycle Gear is going to be the "BIG" local place to go for anything, except the bikes, pretty soon.

I buy from Murph too!

JPavlis_CA said:

My local dealer will match online prices as long as it isn't below his cost.  He'd rather make $10 on a tire and have merchandise pass though the door than lose a sale to the internet.  If more locals thought that way their business would increase and they would lose the reputation of being a 'stealer' instead of a 'dealer'. 

I actually had one local dealer quote me prices that were higher than Kawasaki's MSRP.  When I pointed that out to them they said, "well, print that out and we will match it".  Sheesh.  Places like that should go out of business IMO.

I am all for supporting local businesses, but I work hard for my money and am not going to just give it to someone who is living better than I am.  That would make me stupid.

twowheeladdict said:
JPavlis_CA said:

My local dealer will match online prices as long as it isn't below his cost.  He'd rather make $10 on a tire and have merchandise pass though the door than lose a sale to the internet.  If more locals thought that way their business would increase and they would lose the reputation of being a 'stealer' instead of a 'dealer'. 

I actually had one local dealer quote me prices that were higher than Kawasaki's MSRP.  When I pointed that out to them they said, "well, print that out and we will match it".  Sheesh.  Places like that should go out of business IMO.

I am all for supporting local businesses, but I work hard for my money and am not going to just give it to someone who is living better than I am.  That would make me stupid.

Exactly! :beerchug:

I always shop the internet to see the best prices and also try to support the local shops.  In the past I have told them face to face that I would like to give them my business if they will provide a reasonable price.

One shop that declined (which is no longer in business) had prices that were what prompted me to change my own tires.

I would still be happy to pay $20 - $30 to have them done bringing in the wheel and new tire.  Around here, they typically charge about twice that!  Cycle Gear is reasonable, but they are about 60 - 70 miles away, round trip.  Considering the price of gas and time, the savings is negated!

Last time I was at the dealer, I asked about prices on tires, and they said they would be willing to sell me and mount a pair for about $50 - $60 above what I bought them for at that time.  Next time I need tires, I will consider getting them there.