• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ZG's full Ohlins setup and powder coat project

zg

Hey brutha's, thought I'd start this as a pic depository for me throughout install etc and also for future reference for others...

Just bought a full Ohlins setup for my 09 ABS, Concours 14 rear shock arrived yesterday and ZX14 full forks today!
crazy1.gif

I bought both of these from Dan Kyle at Kyle racing, really great guy IMO, a very smooth transaction, great communication, and fast shipping, an *ALLSTAR* vendor IMO!!
sdskja.gif

Total cost was just under $3100 shipped. (special thanks to Fred for setting up the current group buy discount on the rear shock, just tell Dan "COG")

Dan's website is:
http://www.kyleusa.com/

Here's some pics of the parts arrived to wet your appetite...
rockon.gif

And I even got to use my favorite Kawi blanket, green on one side and black on the other...  :great:

I'll keep posting more after install...
(which unfortunately wont be until the week after next due to some uncontrolled obstacles in my way....
mad.gif
)

28dbb7f5.jpg

0cc7c85e.jpg

f1de46e8.jpg

87d41a4a.jpg

5fc2e007.jpg

d505ca82.jpg

3784e7e9.jpg

e6aae3b0.jpg

ZG congrats on your new suspension set, they look awesome. I know you love black, but the contrast of those Ohlins with your ride will look pretty darn cool IMO.  Looking forward to see them on. CH.

Supreme coolness...
And lookit that 120nM spring!! No more Big Macs for you!  :beer chug:
I'm about to install the Traxxion AK20 kit, but now I'm kinda wishing I had just bought the whole Ohlins fork set... probably lots easier to just swap those babies out!
:great: :motonoises:

Thanks guys, yep I'm pretty stoked about getting them on!!  :)

While the Connie is semi-disassembled I'm going to have the handle bars, risers, triple clamps, swing arm, and some other parts powder coated black, unfortunately my powder coater is out of town on vaca next week so I have to wait for the following week to do this...
wait.gif

I think the gold of the Ohlins will pop even more when surrounded in the black of the triple clamp, bars and swing arm etc...  :great:

ZG,  If you haven't, think about bumping your insurance coverage up to include the "extras" on your bike.  I increased my coverage after adding the Ohlins forks on my bike to cover all the add-ons I have done to the bike.  It didn't cost much, and for me worth the piece of mind knowing I would not eat it if the bike is in a wreck or stolen by some gold stealing ring of thieves.  ;)

Loren said:
ZG,  If you haven't, think about bumping your insurance coverage up to include the "extras" on your bike.  I increased my coverage after adding the Ohlins forks on my bike to cover all the add-ons I have done to the bike.  It didn't cost much, and for me worth the piece of mind knowing I would not eat it if the bike is in a wreck or stolen by some gold stealing ring of thieves.  ;)

That's a good idea Loren, thanks! I'll give them a call tomorrow.  :beerchug:

Cap'n Bob said:
Very Nice Jay. They look sweet.

Mad River Marc said:
That sure is a lot of bling :)

Peter said:
Talk about "eye candy"  WOW!!

Waiting for the post installation pics :great:

mnofpeace said:
True works of motorcycle art  :great:

pleeeez provide pix once you have it all installed...

Thanks brutha's, will do on the pics after installation!  :)  :beerchug:

Ugh... My installer broke his foot, my taredown for powdercoating and Ohlins install now won't happen until the week of August 20th... The anticipation is killing me!  :mad:  :'(

Can't Wait!

Well, you have a few weeks. Hop on that there machine and ride out east and visit us guys who get up much earlier than you. By the time you ride out, spend a few days, then ride back. It will almost be here. Problem solved. I'll even buy the first round. I'll meet you in Virginia next week.  :)

Cap'n Bob said:
Well, you have a few weeks. Hop on that there machine and ride out east and visit us guys who get up much earlier than you. By the time you ride out, spend a few days, then ride back. It will almost be here. Problem solved. I'll even buy the first round. I'll meet you in Virginia next week.  :)

Sounds like fun indeed, if I didn't have to work the next 2 weeks I'd be all over that offer Cap'n!  :beerchug:

hahahahahah
those will be great with those new apehanger bars you just got.....

nicolhopper460.jpg

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Thanks MOB!  :beerchug:

I'm pretty stoked as well, the Ohlins install is next week, I think they're gonna go nicely with the new multi-adjust black bars!  :great:

Well I dropped off the GOLD and other parts today at the shop and I drop my bike off tomorrow, next week all the powdercoat work is getting done and the Ohlins install, the anticipation of this project getting done has been killing me!

>:D

Dismantling done, all the silver parts are now being powder coated black...  :great:

15B52304-3682-4922-8ABF-60599716F6E0-7733-0000072C2EC2EA74.jpg

32F50787-7748-4E4B-9ED5-2F7844109FBB-7844-0000073E652F5F0D.jpg

E59DA651-0818-497B-AD8D-8ED626122B70-7844-0000073F65CED8DD.jpg

3438D22E-4183-4A33-BF07-181A51461346-7844-0000073F9287F679.jpg

F51CC0A9-0195-4AD1-8F80-A6FF02D011E8-7844-0000073F1D2AC139.jpg

B0EB49BE-61B3-46AD-B3DA-5268BB9EB76C-7844-000007401B33B25E.jpg

ZG said:
Dismantling done, all the silver parts are now being powder coated black...  :great:

Absolutely insane, and I LOVE IT!! It's gonna be a scary good-looking ride.
I guess this means you're keeping the bike?? 
:))

ProfessorKonk said:
ZG said:

Absolutely insane, and I LOVE IT!! It's gonna be a scary good-looking ride.
I guess this means you're keeping the bike?? 
:))

;D ;D ;D

Thanks PK, yes indeed she's gonna look pretty sick with the all black and gold, anything worth doing is worth doing right IMO....  :great:

As for keeping it, indeed, I see no reason to get rid of her any time soon...  :49:

Supposed be all done and back together this coming Wednesday...  >:D

It's hard to wear them out when all your time is spent taking & posting pictures of your bike. At least you save money on tires!

Cliff  :beerchug:

Just Cliff said:
It's hard to wear them out when all your time is spent taking & posting pictures of your bike. At least you save money on tires!

:017:  Huh??

Doing a full Ohlins suspension has nothing to do with the oem suspension being "worn out" JC, it's making it a better ride bro...  :)

- nice pics , amazing amount of work being done there.

- hope to hear how the Ohlins behave.

- Mid corner bumps are a bit unsettling at speed (to be fair , it'll be the same for all bikes too) and would like to see whether these Ohlins help in those regards.

I realize the OEM is not worn out. I was making a joke in reference to ProfessorKonk's post about keeping the bike. Nothing ugly meant by it, I'll be quiet now!

Just Cliff said:
I realize the OEM is not worn out. I was making a joke in reference to ProfessorKonk's post about keeping the bike. Nothing ugly meant by it, I'll be quiet now!

No worries JC, forgiven, all good bro...  :beerchug:

dog said:

- nice pics , amazing amount of work being done there.

- hope to hear how the Ohlins behave.

- Mid corner bumps are a bit unsettling at speed (to be fair , it'll be the same for all bikes too) and would like to see whether these Ohlins help in those regards.

Thanks Dog.  :great:

Cap'n Bob said:
Your the man Jay. I can't wait to see it all together.  :beerchug:

Thanks Cap'n!  :beerchug:

Yep, I'm stoked about seeing her back together too!!  >:D

Progress...

Check out this 4 foot long torque wrench needed for the final drive!  :-\

okeeoroe.jpg

dhhseduweq.jpg

More progress... front and rear shaft drive housings together and installing the front one, looks much better black IMO.  :great:

sjdksad.jpg

Not gonna be done today, here's the end of day pics, will resume tomorrow...

Triple clamps, handle bars w/risers & wedges, and Ohlins forks are looking sweet!!  :great:

BARS.jpg

SIDE.jpg

FRONTSIDE.jpg

FRONT.jpg

ZG will not be riding it this weekend. He'll be cleaning it up and taking a bizillion photos of it.  :))

Looking good ZG.  :great:

Rear Ohlins getting installed...  :great:

SHOCK.jpg

Next up is the freshly powder coated black rear swing arm...  :)

SWINGARM2.jpg

Getting closer... swing arm, rear shock, forks, and bars are done...  :)  :great:  :beerchug:

3A75BE5F-B1C5-443F-8499-5DB4525C3A73-852-0000007F97E3D6E6.jpg

53CC663B-D1D1-4B8D-9FD0-31DF90F0CE4F-852-000000801015AB85.jpg

247E56FB-4EC0-4724-8673-0BDB8BBD5E53-852-000000801A0E4FF8.jpg

42F4EDEC-008C-426D-8104-2D799976465A-852-00000080260E0561.jpg

B16EA4F7-EA02-4724-AADD-E193296D3C8C-852-0000008039205DC5.jpg

B26E7D30-6A3C-42CD-92BE-EA37DA6C7249-852-0000008043B865C5.jpg

2D40F3D0-630B-4745-86A8-12F507D5457D-852-000000804DF3E2FD.jpg

EFCFBED2-8AE5-4645-AE33-AEAAD77181D6-852-000000805A213C26.jpg

salmonhead said:
I'm stopping by the shop tomorrow, mabey I'll get a chance to see it before you take off for the weekend.

Good seeing ya up there today bro!  :beerchug:

I like the carbon pipes and rear hugger combination. 
Looking forward to the "finished product" photos....
And the increased-insurance suggestion was excellent - you've got some serious coin invested in your ride.
She's beautiful (already was - even more so now).

That looks absolutely awesome. Even though I prefer the 2009 Diamond red over black. I think your bike gets my vote for the nicest C14 I've seen, bar none. And there are some nice C14's out there. Very nice Jay.  :great:

Thanks for all the compliments brutha's, much appreciated, I'm glad to hear you're liking it as much as me!  :beerchug:

She's all done!!! Turned out even better than I invisioned!  :great:

A very special thanks to Kandy and Stacey at my local shop "Hillsboro MotoSport", these folks know what they're doing and the quality of work is beyond superb!!
sdskja.gif

http://www.hillsboromotorcycles.com/

Also a massive shout out and thanks to Jamie at JD Powdercoating, the dude is amazing!!
sdskja.gif

Fast turn, great detail work (sorry for the 8 hours of taping bro...), and awesome prices!

Oh and the ride home was AMAZING!!!! I'm not kidding she rides even better than she looks!  :)
The Ohlins difference is beyond huge IMO, every little bad spot in the road is no longer noticeable, manhole covers I couldn't even feel em!  :great:

A special thanks to Dan and "Kyle Racing" for hooking me up with the Ohlins!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
sdskja.gif

http://www.kyleusa.com/

Ok, now for the final pics, as you all already know I'm a pic whore, sorry.... I hope you enjoy!!  ;)

IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_5689.jpg

IMG_5693.jpg

IMG_5690.jpg

IMG_5694.jpg

IMG_5696.jpg

IMG_5697.jpg

IMG_5698.jpg

IMG_5700.jpg

IMG_5701.jpg

IMG_5704.jpg

IMG_5707.jpg

IMG_5705.jpg

IMG_5709.jpg

IMG_5710.jpg

IMG_5712.jpg

IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_5718.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

IMG_5720.jpg

IMG_5721.jpg

IMG_5723.jpg

IMG_5724.jpg

Man, that sure looks sweet! Excellent job! You're gonna like that Ohlins suspension.

BTW, if you find that 120 n/mm rear spring is too soft let me know, I have a brand new 130 newton/millimeter Ohlins rear spring I'm not using.

Holy shnikies....that is nice! :)  The gold on the forks brings back memories of the old John Player Special F1 cars of yesteryear....great look!

Been watching the updates and thanks for the great photos and for keeping us posted....the ZG show is one to stay tuned for. :)

So how do you like the change with the Ohlins?

Wow, feeling guilty like i just went to a strip club. Heading directly to garage and reassure my babe she is the only one for me. I love you my completely stock 2012. Your my venus, the other girl ment nothing.

Man...if it wasn't for a new bathroom, flights home to Australia and several other priorities....I'd be ordering me'self some gold.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I'm glad to hear everyone is liking how she turned out!  :49:

Loren said:
ZG said:
$6500  :truce:

I feel so much better now.  LOL

Looks good Jay.

Ya, 35 hours of labor pulling everything off and apart for the powdercoating and re-assembly, but I just love how it turned out!  :great:

Thanks for the tip on the accessory insurance too Loren, I'm all set now with $15k of added accessory coverage and it only cost me an extra $50 a year with Progressive!  :)  :beerchug:

jkenny said:
Not too bad that bike was pretty much torn apart, lots of labor. Any issues after the rebuild?

Ya, lot's of labor indeed, 35 hours worth... Nope, no issues at all, runs and rides like a champ, I love it!  :great:

I thought the cost would be over 6500. Thats really not too bad.  It is a lot, but not as much as trading the bike in for a 2013. Plus, you end up with a custom, work of art machine.....hum......No, I cannot do this.....no way.

That is truly sweet Z. That gold really sets it off, wait, is that a scratch? :)) You be careful in that driveway Bro!

Old Man on a Connie said:
That is truly sweet Z. That gold really sets it off, wait, is that a scratch? :)) You be careful in that driveway Bro!

:):)) :))

Thanks OMC! :beerchug:

rcannon409 said:
I thought the cost would be over 6500. Thats really not too bad.  It is a lot, but not as much as trading the bike in for a 2013. Plus, you end up with a custom, work of art machine.....hum......No, I cannot do this.....no way.

Thanks RC!  :beerchug:

jkenny said:
Looks great, good luck with it.

Thanks JK!  :beerchug:

Cap'n Bob said:
That looks absolutely awesome. Even though I prefer the 2009 Diamond red over black. I think your bike gets my vote for the nicest C14 I've seen, bar none. And there are some nice C14's out there. Very nice Jay.  :great:

Aye Cap'n!  :beerchug:

I'll let you take her for a rip at the National next summer (just to motivate you to go... ;D), trust me, she rides even better than she looks with the full Ohlins!!  :great:

After riding her you'll go buy another...  :) >:D

You had that so apart, should have yarded the motor out and Turbo'd it at the same time!

Looks really good. Glad you're happy!

slidebite said:
You had that so apart, should have yarded the motor out and Turbo'd it at the same time!

Looks really good. Glad you're happy!

Thanks SB!  :beerchug:

Very nice looking.  Can I ask what brand the handlebars are?  Can't find them in the accessory thread.

Thanks, SB

That looks awesome!  Can I ride it?  :))  Gotta know where ya got the tinted windshield.  Now, where is that gold rattle can spray paint for my forks....

Bruce said:
That looks awesome!  Can I ride it?  :))  Gotta know where ya got the tinted windshield.  Now, where is that gold rattle can spray paint for my forks....

Thanks B!  :beerchug:

The shield is a Cee Baileys mini euro in dark tint.

I'll bump this thread for folks that are still trying to decide what they want Santa to bring them this year...  ;)

Ohlins, there is no substitute!  :great:

ZG said:
I'll bump this thread for folks that are still trying to decide what they want Santa to bring them this year...  ;)

Yeah Jay, more like you just want to show off and brag!  :))

Cap'n Bob said:
ZG said:

:rotflmao:

I think he has a script that automatically slams all his photos into any thread he posts in. Or maybe he does just want to show off.  :beerchug:

Cap'n Bob said:
ZG said:

:) >:D :beerchug:

I'm bumping this thread for a member that was asking about powder coating the swing arm... Here ya go bro, enjoy! :great: :beerchug:

BJ said:
Thank you, sir.  That sure is a gorgeous looking work of art.  Congrats again and enjoy!!

No worries Brian, happy to help ya bro, now that you have my gold wheels you've got instant street cred with me...  ;) :)

Now you need to get some Ohlins gold to match them wheels...  >:D

Take care!  :beerchug:

LennyK said:
Just saw this thread.......Wow bike looks awesome!!!!
What frame slider are you using?

Thanks LK!  :beerchug:

Yes, as Gumby said, they are from Top Block Racing.  :great:

Charly said:
What is the spring rate in the ohlins fork of your nice bike?

Thanks Charly.  :beerchug:

Sorry buddy, I don't remember what rated springs are in them, I had Dan Kyle put them in before he shipped them to me.