• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bead breaker

kzz1king

Think this would work? I am getting tired of standing on my HF breaker.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230718-175221.png
    Screenshot_20230718-175221.png
    529.3 KB · Views: 83
That would work just fine. Might take a lot of pumping in between repositioning a few times but without doubt fulcrum in the middle mega transfer of energy with little effort but pumping.

Note: Make certain the base extends to underneath the bead breaker and hold wheel flat.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

That would work just fine. Might take a lot of pumping in between repositioning a few times but without doubt fulcrum in the middle mega transfer of energy with little effort but pumping.

Note: Make certain the base extends to underneath the bead breaker and hold wheel flat.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
I think it would be harder to protect the rotor with this.

I bought a Rabaconda tire changer, and have a bead breaker available. I'm going to be letting it go to a good home shortly.

Chris

I bought a Rabaconda tire changer, and have a bead breaker available. I'm going to be letting it go to a good home shortly.

Chris
Take it you like the Ranaconda?

We are relocating and the favorable tire changing pricing (discount afforded at dealership for purchasing & mounting comes to nearly same cheapest price I can get online just for the tires) will be gone. See if I can find a comparable at our relocation otherwise I’ll likely be looking to start mounting my own.

There is clearly some significant markup in rubber…

By the way, last change a few weeks ago Dunlop also had a $100 rebate, felt like I was stealing the tires…. Would be nice to have that every time I went to the dealership. 🤪

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I haven't used it yet, just assembled it. I'm guessing I have another 1500-2000 miles on these Bridgestone T32s. When I saw their price was the same as it was a year ago...in other words, it hadn't gone up for inflation yet...and they weren't charging tax, I jumped on it. While I've been changing my own tires with just tire irons, I'm not getting any younger. And the dealership priced themselves out of my business.

I also like that the Rabaconda comes apart quickly and stores in a bag. Space in my garage is a premium.

Chris

Somebody got creative with that & it probably works fine for utility type tires as pictured. Even though it's probably a bit slow & awkward to do. I think it would be a real pain the a-- to use on a bike tire.

My homemade bead breaker is mounted to the wall & works well. At the bottom of this page is a thread titled 'Best Budget Tire Changer' & it shows mine. I would copy it here, but I'm not that smart.

Last edited:
Cliff can change a tire faster with his set up than I can with my HF tire changer.
So, I built a wood frame like his and now I mostly use that for tire changes.
NOTE: I haven't built his bead breaker yet, but need to and really need to get one of those yellow things he uses as it makes things a lot easier.. {forget the name}

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Cliff has lots of practice...

Cliff can change a tire faster with his set up than I can with my HF tire changer.
NOTE: I haven't built his bead breaker yet, but need to and really need to get one of those yellow things he uses as it makes things a lot easier.. {forget the name}

Ride safe, Ted

Approaching 300K miles I would expect so!

@Just Cliff remind us where are you on mileage? Getting close to the big 3 double 0?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Ride safe, Ted

The thing is actually called "yellow thing"🤣🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230719_103747_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230719_103747_Google.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 63
@Just Cliff remind us where are you on mileage? Getting close to the big 3 double 0?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Just 272,000 at the moment, the ride out to the Nationals added 7K. I pretty much quit riding in state several years ago & I've never commuted so it's pretty much only travel miles now & I typically have 1 - 2 other bikes that I'll travel on also.

I'll be making a few little 2K rides on it over the next few months, so It might hit 300K someday!

Somebody got creative with that & it probably works fine for utility type tires as pictured. Even though it's probably a bit slow & awkward to do. I think it would be a real pain the a-- to use on a bike tire.

My homemade bead breaker is mounted to the wall & works well. At the bottom of this page is a thread titled 'Best Budget Tire Changer' & it shows mine. I would copy it here, but I'm not that smart.
I found the video of it. Looks like it would best up the rims and rotors pretty bad.

I found the video of it. Looks like it would best up the rims and rotors pretty bad.
Yeah one has to be careful in designing items like this - just because it works doesn’t always mean we should do it.

If it were always the same size wheel you could build a centering mechanism to not beat up the rims and rotors. If multiple sizes then you’d need different length levers or or different fulcrum points.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

By the way, last change a few weeks ago Dunlop also had a $100 rebate, felt like I was stealing the tires…. Would be nice to have that every time I went to the dealership. 🤪

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Where was your deal and which Dunlop are you using presently?

Dunlop Roadsmart IV.

Dealership is Montgomeryville Cycle Center.

I think all dealers would offer similar discounts for repeat customers.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

My last two tire changes were completed with a cheap ole Harbor Freight changer. I put 4 anchors in the garage floor, then pull it out of storage, bolt it down and I am in business.

The first change was a challenge because of bad technique and no tire soap being employed. The tires since have been a breeze. Bike tires, ATV, and others have been a snap. No problems popping the bead, removing, installing the tire or seating the bead. It's 80 to 85% technique and 15 to 20% the equipment. I think the high end gear it more about a lack of technique or finesse when it comes to actually doing the work. Not slamming anyone, just sharing my own experience.

I was lucky and bought a complete No-Mar set up from a vendor at work. Even came with 3 of the yellow thingys.😝
I have it set up to when I need to use it, I bolt it to a plywood frame I’ve built and hold it down by backing my car over the base. Holds it down well and have saved $$ on tire changes.
Don’t have a garage at our rental and don’t feel like asking if I could drill into the patio floor

I was lucky and bought a complete No-Mar set up from a vendor at work. Even came with 3 of the yellow thingys.😝
I have it set up to when I need to use it, I bolt it to a plywood frame I’ve built and hold it down by backing my car over the base. Holds it down well and have saved $$ on tire changes.
Don’t have a garage at our rental and don’t feel like asking if I could drill into the patio floor
I hear you on that!

Yeah

Yes, we have an excellent relationship with our landlords and like to keep it that way. But we’ve always try to be the best tenants and always take care of our homes as if it were our own.
My parents had 12 in Louisville at one time. They would have appreciated you. They had lots of stories about rental properties. Most not good.