• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

what are the choices now??

tdbru

Well, with K seemingly dropping the Connie (though that's what was said in '07), and the big FJR gone, and the ST a distant memory, what are we left with for sport touring should my current steed eventually give up the ghost? Though if the connies are as reliable as you guys say at all the rallies, as long as I can keep from getting hit, I shouldn't worry about what to do about the next sport tourer (unless I get stupid bored and trade it off on a fleeting fancy)? Seems that the Nippon bike makers think we all don't mind chain maintenance. part of the reason for picking the connie in the first place was not having to maintain a chain. I'd be fine with belt drive as it's quite maintenance free as a shaftie is, but you don't find that in sport tourers currently in production that I'm aware of. of course there's the european sport tourers, but they've been making mechanics out of riders since they started. and the euro bikes are quite $$ compared to the big 4 from Japan. So will be left with the RT and K bikes from BMW and that's it?
-tdbru

I'd say if I had to pick something a little smaller to replace the C14, I think I'd go with the Tracer 9 GT. Not as much wind protection, and not as much power, but that CP3 mill is an absolute gem, very torquey motor, and the bike is quite a bit lighter than any of the big sport tourers (under 500 lbs). And the newer Tracers come with cruise control!

I imagine that putting a little money into the suspension on a Tracer to get it sprung for your weight, riding style, and handling preferences would go a very long way toward bringing the 'sport' component into its already good touring nature. It already has fully adjustable front and rear suspensions, so I don't even know that it would take anything beyond turning the dials for anyone in the 140-180lb range.

Brakes are very good on this platform, and AFAIK all US market Tracers have ABS and traction control.

With a 5 gallon tank I imagine range is decent, likely 200-250 miles.

But you do still have chain maintenance to worry about... Thankfully with modern o-ring chains, on a 1-2 week long trip that is mostly on-road, that just means a quick lube at the end of each day. I don't see a need to "clean" the chain until you get home, unless you're riding in dusty/dirty conditions.

Last edited:
I think Kawasaki still offers the H2-SX/SE in 2023?
Most can't afford one and few consider it a Sport "Touring" bike, but it is offered.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I stopped by Simi Yamaha since they just received a 24 tracer.
Good looking an in the showroom sitting on it felt good. Felt light and upright, so very little change for erconomics.
The seat looks good but felt like a wide dirt bike seat. I'll wait until they are not so new and the dealer needs to move them.

No question, shaft drive is great. However, it adds nearly 100 lbs. (my guess) to the bike's weight.

Larry

With the current chain technology, I don't really care whether it has a shaft or chain. There's something to be said for the ability to chain gearing easily. Chain doesn't eat power like a shaft either.

I've gotten the shaft so many times in my life time, I've gotten used to it.................

BUT

Besides my '95 Connie, I've also found love with my '02 KLR and '67 CL77 - the latter two being chain drive. Lube the chain, or lube the splines. Either is just a maintenance item that needs periodic attention.

My .02............

Last edited:
Tdbru, The used market is quite good on all 3 of your ST favs.

I'm too cheap to buy new, when slightly used will do. YMMV
I'm of the same opinion. I don't need to buy a new bike. In fact, I don't want to. I bought my 2014 BMW F800GT from a retired cardiologist. He sold it for just under the Kelley Blue Book price...with $3000 of accessories included. If I'd bought the bike new, I would've paid about 5-6K more, and still had to add the 3K of accessories.

It'll be a long time before the Kawasaki sport-tourers are extinct.

There's some good new models coming out. I think they have a lot of competition with the used market for people who are smart. My F800GT is all day comfortable. It weighs 470 lbs wet (probably minus the side cases). It has ABS, traction control, and a simple electronically controlled suspension. And a belt drive. My first belt lasted 53,000 miles. I have 106,000 miles on it now. If anything happens to it, I'll just buy another. The new bikes, have ride modes and cool electronic gadgets...and don't compare favorably with the older out-of-date bikes that all of us have.

Chris

Suzuki has the GSX1000GT.
Moto Guzzi has the V100 Mandello
Yamaha has the Tracer 9 GT

"Moto Guzzi has the V100 Mandello:
For some reason, Even with their known Italian character traits, Guzzi's have always piqued my interest. Have never owned one, worked on several older models, and ridden a newer Stelvio a few years ago over in WV that was owned by a former COG member. It felt industrial / agricultural, but I still liked it. Was seriously considering one, but the only local dealer was a jerk (since gone), and they came with some recall notice about a valve train issue. I passed.

Then recently, the Mandello V100 comes along. I watched the promo videos. Interesting bike, but far too late in the game to pose a serious threat for me.

Rats!

If I was in the market for a new bike (which I'm not), I still might give this one a serious look. It's unfortunate they still don't have a strong dealer network in this country, and that would probably be the only reason I'd have to pass. Guess I'm spoiled by the reliability and trust my '95 Connie has provided me over the 24 years I've owned it, carrying me all over hell and creation without my giving it a second thought.

Nice bike, clicks many, if not all, the check boxes for me, except, it's chain. Sorry, will never even consider it. Absolute deal breaker for me.

I think Kawasaki still offers the H2-SX/SE in 2023?
Most can't afford one and few consider it a Sport "Touring" bike, but it is offered.

Ride safe, Ted

One of my friends and riding buddies has an H2-SX. We swapped bikes once, and I don't think I got past 1/4 throttle. It's an absolute beast. More of a hyper sport with optional hard bags, but it's an amazing machine. The power is so smooth and linear it feels like an electric motor. The cruise control, quickshifter, and digital display is pretty sharp too. It also comes with a center stand, which makes the chain maintenance much easier, even on the road.

BTW, as fair as chain maintenance, I've switched to Dupont Chainsaver, which is pretty clean and doesn't build up much sort and gunk. When I'm going on long trips, I just bring a mini can of it and hit the chain with it every night. Even when I'm back home, I don't bother cleaning it unless it starts looking particularly grimey.

Don't forget the Ninja 1000SX.
My brother seriously considered one before he bought his C14. Three of the things took him to the C14: Looks, bag capacity and $$ (he bought a 2011 in VERY good condition with 19,000 miles).
He thinks seating position is about the same as a C14.

Don't forget the Ninja 1000SX.
My brother seriously considered one before he bought his C14. Three of the things took him to the C14: Looks, bag capacity and $$ (he bought a 2011 in VERY good condition with 19,000 miles).
He thinks seating position is about the same as a C14.
That's a very good point. I've not ridden one, but have heard good things about it.

My buddy with the H2-SX nearly got one, but decided that since he could afford the halo bike, he might as well go all-in.

I'm of the same opinion. I don't need to buy a new bike. In fact, I don't want to. I bought my 2014 BMW F800GT from a retired cardiologist. He sold it for just under the Kelley Blue Book price...with $3000 of accessories included. If I'd bought the bike new, I would've paid about 5-6K more, and still had to add the 3K of accessories.

No regrets. I'm more and more impressed each day I ride it. You can see the attention to detail and thought that went into this bike. It shows even in little things like the seat cover material. It looks like it'll be great to keeping you in place when cornering hard. My Airhawk seat cushion made my old bike, the F800GT, into an all day bike. Even though I have a "Low Seat" and the cushioning is less than the Normal seat, I'm finding it all day comfortable. And when I put the Airhawk onto it...there didn't seem to be any improvement.

The front view shows a very narrow bike with side panels coming out in various places. BMW must've taken the prototype to a wind tunnel. They divert the air around you without cutting through the air like a barn door. And the bike seems largely unaffected by side gusts.

Over on the F900 XR forum, we have two new members. Both had FJ-09s they didn't like. They liked the engine...but overall for the rest of the bike, it wasn't a keeper.

The chain surprisingly isn't a big deal. I did a lot of reading and attending YT University on the subject. The new O and X ring chains seem to stay lubed far better than the old style chains. The big deal now seems to be keeping it from rusting.

I switch between the "Road" and "Dynamic Pro" throttle modes. Road mode is linear and slower to react to throttle movements, whether up or down. That makes it easier to maintain a speed by feel. Dynamic and Dynamic Pro modes are incredible. Twice, I didn't think about how it would react and cracked the throttle open hard...only to be jerked back unexpectedly and my left hand was ripped off the handlebar grip. It'll surprise the unattentive.

Looks. I've had about six complete strangers come up to me to compliment me on the bike. There was even a guy at the drug store today who came over. As the rain started to sprinkle on us, he still wanted to talk about the bike.

Chris