• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

09 C14 Drag racing questions

bikefix

Big Wheel
Aloha,
I raced my 09 c14 (1/4 mile) all last year NHRA bracket racing. It's stock with delkevic slip on and pilot road 4 tires. I usually run 11.35ish. Best ET 11.13. Avg 2 sec 60 ft. I was consistent all year and took 1st place in the points.

This year I would like to get into the 10s. I added a delkevic header to match the slip on and getting a reflash also. Will this get me into the 10s? My 60 ft times are lackluster, any advice would be appreciated. I usually do a controlled launch around 5-6k, not too dramatic.

I've been thinking about a shinko hook up tire also. Although I enjoy never having to burnout while other turbo busas go crazy. Would I have to burnout with the hook up? Or can without? I've read 200/50/17 is better for drag racing. Any thoughts? I use the bike as a short commuter a couple times a week.

Mahalo for reading and appreciate your replies. I love my Connie 💙
 

viffer_pilot

Member
Member
I can't help you with your tire question or how to get in the 10's but your article reminded me of a SISF YouTube video I remember seeing on the Connie's Variable Valve Timing and why it makes the  Concours a poor platform for drag racing due to the potential for catastrophic failure of the large rotating mass connected to the engine.  It's your bike and I'd encourage you to do what makes you happy but I wanted to make sure that you were aware of this design feature that makes the mild tempered Concours different than a 'Busa or ZX14.  Recommend you take a look at the video or maybe Steve can chime in.

Best of luck with your performance goals.
 

HeavyRotation

Mini Bike
You need to "throw" the clutch, holding onto it is what's killing your 60 foot times. Mine launches best from about 6500 rpm and i just hold it there then throw the lever to full release while rolling it open to the stop. There was a great article about this in motorcyclist magazine around 2005 where the writer took a Ricky Gadsen class. If you're not floating the front wheel at all you're hanging onto the lever too long. Technique looks good otherwise. Are you lowering the front end with straps or dropping the clamps down the tubes at all? That can make a big difference as well.
 

troymba

Moped
I got 10.3 easy enough in the quarter and 6.7 in the 1/8th- you just have to get it rolling and not rev too high, it’s as good as any bike off the line but struggles at the far end of the strip. Here’s a little video Jeremy Reed did while we were there with Wayne Caylor- (world class cool guys)

https://youtu.be/geIV2Z_oN_o
 

santacruzrider

Member
Member
HeavyRotation said:
You need to "throw" the clutch, holding onto it is what's killing your 60 foot times. Mine launches best from about 6500 rpm and i just hold it there then throw the lever to full release while rolling it open to the stop. There was a great article about this in motorcyclist magazine around 2005 where the writer took a Ricky Gadsen class. If you're not floating the front wheel at all you're hanging onto the lever too long. Technique looks good otherwise. Are you lowering the front end with straps or dropping the clamps down the tubes at all? That can make a big difference as well.

I'm not understanding -- can you break this down for the less intellergent? Are you saying you rev to 6500 rpm with clutch in, at green light you keep revs at 6500 and rapidly release clutch (I'm assuming you don't "drop it") until clutch is all the way out, then accelerate to finish?

Is that right? Sorry if I'm slow (pun intended).
 

HeavyRotation

Mini Bike
SantaCruzRider said:
HeavyRotation said:
You need to "throw" the clutch, holding onto it is what's killing your 60 foot times. Mine launches best from about 6500 rpm and i just hold it there then throw the lever to full release while rolling it open to the stop. There was a great article about this in motorcyclist magazine around 2005 where the writer took a Ricky Gadsen class. If you're not floating the front wheel at all you're hanging onto the lever too long. Technique looks good otherwise. Are you lowering the front end with straps or dropping the clamps down the tubes at all? That can make a big difference as well.

I'm not understanding -- can you break this down for the less intellergent? Are you saying you rev to 6500 rpm with clutch in, at green light you keep revs at 6500 and rapidly release clutch (I'm assuming you don't "drop it") until clutch is all the way out, then accelerate to finish?

Is that right? Sorry if I'm slow (pun intended).
Yeah that's pretty much it, it's tough to just dump the clutch, your brain doesn't want to let you do it. But if you do it just right, it'll jump hard without wheelying too much. You're already super consistent though, so i don't know if you wanna relearn your launch for ET racing. The bike is absolutely capable of quicker 60 foot times though, 1.7ish is as good as I've managed. I run whatever tire i have on but drop the pressure to between 22-25 depending on ambient temps because im on a street tire. If it spins i drop it 5lbs at a time until it hooks. I have the fortune to run a very nice track with concrete pad, i don't do any burnout and avoid the water. I also like to run a full tank of gas because i think the added anti wheelie effect beats the weight penalty. Id be interested more in your experiences and set up given your success in bracket racing.
 

bikefix

Big Wheel
Thanks for the replies. I've spun my back tire a few times launching around 6500 rpm. Never had the nose pop up. I usually run 33 - 35 lbs in the rear. It's a bit of a distraction to see the red light flashing low tire pressure so I haven't dropped it down. I usually run around 1/2 tank fuel. I try to keep it simple and consistent. I usually shift at 10k indicated. I don't have straps or tie downs.

Any of you race with the bags on? It seems my times have been fairly close, bags on or off. Fellow racers have a good laugh when I leave em on. Excited to test out the bike in a couple weeks with full exhaust and reflash. I'll report back.
 

troymba

Moped
I’ve done a lot of passes with all the luggage on- it didn’t seem to be a huge setback, the wheelies were good when loaded and people love it so it’s pretty much a win!
 

HeavyRotation

Mini Bike
Ive always left the bags on, thats part of the fun. Higher tire pressures are best on the big end, if i could hook and launch hard at 45psi I'd run that for less rolling resistance. Anyone interested locally, the first tune and test of the season at Woodburn is Sunday March 8th. :)

 

bikefix

Big Wheel
Results from Test and Tune:  Rear tire 34 psi, front tire 42 psi

First 3 runs: (bags on)
        Reaction        60ft        1/4
1.      .027            1.99        11.13 @ 126
2.      .001            1.96        11.15 @ 125
3.      .064            1.92        11.00 @ 126
Next 3 runs: (bags off)
4.      -.001            1.916      10.87 @ 128
5.      .106            1.87        10.798 @ 129
6.      -.036            1.97        10.975 @ 129

6500 - 7000 RPM launch was giving me the best 60ft times.  Still working on a proper shift point, its nice to not have the engine cut out with the reflash!  I think shifting at 10.5k indicated gave me the best times.  I guess bags off....  I'm stoked to get into the 10's  : ;D
 

2andblue

Member
Member
bikefix said:
Excited to test out the bike in a couple weeks with full exhaust and reflash. I'll report back.

Bikefix, nice numbers!  Do you by chance have times before / after the full exhaust install and re-flash.

Obviously drag racing is a controlled event and not how we drive on the streets, most of us anyhow, still interested though to know the measured performance difference.
 
Top