• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2013 Oregon Rides

Gonna try and see if I can make it up, I have a competing option.  How long is the ride this month?  I have to figure my there-n-back since it's the end of the month...  :-[

The fourth Saturday in September is the weekend of a music festival in Prospect, off Hwy 62 on the way to Crater Lake from Medford.  Beautiful riding area and great roads.
Prospect Historic Hotel B&B - Motel and Dinner House has its annual 'Music In The Mountains' the last weekend of September every year.  Two days of Blue Grass, Country, Folk and Americana right there on the grounds.  Local bands, local music.  Great times, Great Food (BBQ Prime Rib Bones and French Dip Sandwiches and more) Local Beer and Local Wine.  :beerchug:  General admission is $20/day or $35 for 2 days.

How do I know?  I own it!! Well along with my wife (she lets me work there!).   

Special deal for COGers, Half price tickets!!!  Show up on your bike or show proof of ownership if your caging it!

Stop in on the ride, or camp in the area. Lots of sites around but it will be busy. 

Go to www.prospecthotel.com/bluegrass.html for more info  I still have a few bands to select but it is always a good time. You can see who is coming and link to our you tube channel to hear previous bands.

We also have a fantastic Dinner House where Prime Rib ("the best in Southern Oregon") is served every night! 5-9pm.

YES this is shameful promotion of our business - but it is for the benefit of the group.  :))

Dan, just so wont feel too lonely on your C10, my brother will once again join us this Sat. See y'all at Toms in Beaverton! I wonder if Jay will grace us with the green hornet?

Bruce said:
I wonder if Jay will grace us with the green hornet?

I can't tomorrow Bruce, we're having a big ol party for my wife's parents, it's their 50th wedding anniversary!! Way cool, kudo's to them, that's a really long time!  :beerchug:

I think me and Gumby are riding out to Damascas on Sunday though to meet MP, he and his wife rode his Connie up from the bay area and are here for the weekend I think.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=14413.0

50 years...that is a long time, no doubt. We celebrate our 25th on the 13th of Aug. Renting a house in South Lake Tahoe...but I digress. Todays ride was a good one...weather was wonderful. Thanks again to Dan for arranging it. Dan, do you have anymore info on the Grants Pass ride such as date and meeting place?

4th Saturday ride for AUGUST is near completion and posting. THEN, later this week, I'll get some posting done on the SEPTEMBER ride/gathering. They are always 4th Saturday so, I believe that makes Septembers on the 28th! Just checked. YEP!! There will actually probably be rides on Friday, enroute, Saturday AM and PM AND Sunday, on the way home for some of us.

Yes, we had great weather for our ride last weekend. Sorry that we lost Brian along the way though. At least Dave, of the four of us who made lunch, seemed to get his monies worth at the buffet at Spirit Mountain!  LOL

Thanks for making the trip up from Eugene, Bruce.

DamDan said:
4th Saturday ride for AUGUST is near completion and posting. THEN, later this week, I'll get some posting done on the SEPTEMBER ride/gathering. They are always 4th Saturday so, I believe that makes Septembers on the 28th! Just checked. YEP!! There will actually probably be rides on Friday, enroute, Saturday AM and PM AND Sunday, on the way home for some of us.

Yes, we had great weather for our ride last weekend. Sorry that we lost Brian along the way though. At least Dave, of the four of us who made lunch, seemed to get his monies worth at the buffet at Spirit Mountain!  LOL

Thanks for making the trip up from Eugene, Bruce.
You guys lost someone?  Geez, remind me to pack along my GPS if I'm traveling with you goons.  ;)

Lost! Well, he DID wave us on as we waited to depart Cape Meares State Park. LOL

OK. I have Augusts ride posted on the calendar and we MAY eat lunch at the historic Balch Hotel in Dufur. This cool old hotel was saved, owned and operated by our own Jeff and Samantha. What we do is up to you riders who sign up and show up for the ride and the lunch. PLANNING has to fit into this if we are to eat there. So, sign up AND show up so I can give Samantha a number for the meal as soon as possible. Otherwise, we'll eat at the local tavern!

Also, now that I have Augusts ride posted, I'll be doing more work on Septembers ride which will be more like a mini rally in southern Oregon. Watch the thread on Southern Oregon Gathering for more details on this.

A little bit late, but here are a couple of pics of our Saturday ride on July 27th.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 105
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 108
yep, this is lost Brian.  sigh.  i'm not the best map reader.  I thought it'd be easy to get caught up.  not.  Sorry Dan and Bruce.  I guess I should pre-ride the ride so I know where everyone is going before we go.  :truce: 

Thanks for posting the pics, Bruce! And for offering to "sweep".

Just a reminder here to "sign up" for this month's ride so that I can give Samantha a head count, as soon as possible, for lunch.

Thanks Dan for the reminder!  Dave and I will be on our Canada trip the 4th Saturday this month, so you won't have the pleasure of our company.  I am trying to talk Dave into the Grants Pass ride next month, and possibly the Idaho rally.  Catch ya later!

:))  I'll be in Canada the weekend after doing the "Selkirk Loop".  Have fun but don't tell them I'm coming.  :))

Just got back from Coast and Central Oregon yesterday. HOPE to pre ride most of this month's "4th Saturday Oregon Ride" tomorrow, tomorrow being Sunday.

Last weekends check of the Forest Service Road that I plan on using to get home on for this month's ride went really good! There are at this point, 4 members and 4 guests signed up for the ride this month. So, I am going forward with the plan on having lunch at the historic Balch Hotel in Dufur and will be working with Samantha Irwin on getting that set up. As I indicated earlier, She and her husband Jeff own and  operate this cool old hotel. I'll wait til next Monday to give her a head count for lunch so if you are considering on joining up, sign up or let me know by then. Anyone who signs up or contacts me will also get an attachment of the map of the planned ride. I'll have 5X7" copies available at the breakfast/meeting.

DamDan said:
Last weekends check of the Forest Service Road that I plan on using to get home on for this month's ride went really good! There are at this point, 4 members and 4 guests signed up for the ride this month. So, I am going forward with the plan on having lunch at the historic Balch Hotel in Dufur and will be working with Samantha Irwin on getting that set up. As I indicated earlier, She and her husband Jeff own and  operate this cool old hotel. I'll wait til next Monday to give her a head count for lunch so if you are considering on joining up, sign up or let me know by then. Anyone who signs up or contacts me will also get an attachment of the map of the planned ride. I'll have 5X7" copies available at the breakfast/meeting.
Man I'm so tempted to bail on my Hood to Coast Relay team after knowing this month's ride is coming to Dufur and our hotel.  Unfortunately I'd be lynched if I left 11 of my buddies hanging on H2C.  Hope you all have a great ride.  If the weather report holds, it should be a PERFECT day to ride.  Enjoy the roads out near Dufur and hope the hotel treats you well.  Someone please eat a cookie or 5 for me.  I'll be running 24+ miles on some nasty hills and will need the energy.  :great:

Well, with the ride within just a few days now and the weather forecast looking pretty close to perfect at this point, it looks to be a great day for a ride. I hope all who are coming have signed up since I'll be sending Samantha an email this AM about attendance, which stands at eight. Yes, Jeff, I'll have "a" cookie for you!  :)

PS: Best wishes on the HTC!

DamDan said:
Well, with the ride within just a few days now and the weather forecast looking pretty close to perfect at this point, it looks to be a great day for a ride. I hope all who are coming have signed up since I'll be sending Samantha an email this AM about attendance, which stands at eight. Yes, Jeff, I'll have "a" cookie for you!  :)

PS: Best wishes on the HTC!
Thanks Dan and to all the others that attend.  Have a great ride!

ZG said:
Aren't you guys heading out for the National this weekend?  ???
I am, but unfortunately Dan has a different ride scheduled that he's been wanting to do so he indicated that he's not going to the National Rally this year.

runnerb0y said:
ZG said:
I am, but unfortunately Dan has a different ride scheduled that he's been wanting to do so he indicated that he's not going to the National Rally this year.

Cool, see ya in ID Falls RB.  :beerchug:

ZG said:
runnerb0y said:
ZG said:

Cool, see ya in ID Falls RB.  :beerchug:
Looking forward to it and to seeing your bike in person.  Be safe, we'll see you in ID.  :beerchug:

Lots of reasons that I'm not attending the National this year but being committed to fulfilling the "4th Saturday Oregon Ride" series is one of them. Luckily, I see that we have eight riders signed up for this Saturday. Not everyone can take the time/money to attend Nationals. I've been a member for over ten years and have been to two. That's enough for me.

Hope you all have a great time though.

DamDan said:
Lots of reasons that I'm not attending the National this year but being committed to fulfilling the "4th Saturday Oregon Ride" series is one of them. Luckily, I see that we have eight riders signed up for this Saturday. Not everyone can take the time/money to attend Nationals. I've been a member for over ten years and have been to two. That's enough for me.

Hope you all have a great time though.
8 signed up so far.  Awesome news, hope you ALL have an excellent ride.

I'm looking forward to the ride for sure.

I spent last weekend in Madras at the CMA rally, and now this coming weekend with my fellow COG'ers!

Should be a blast!

-Jeff

dbu said:
runerb0y or ZG,
either of you leaving from the Portland area?
-Brian

I am, but I'm leaving Saturday with mama and heading to mama's sister in Caldwell ID, then I'm heading out Sunday from there to ID Falls while she stays in Caldwell for the week...

See ya in ID Falls though Brian, safe travels bro!  :beerchug:

dbu said:
runerb0y or ZG,
either of you leaving from the Portland area?
-Brian
Brian,

I'm leaving from Dufur on Sunday morning, provided I can even sit atop the bike.  I'll be 'recovering' from a Hood-to-Coast Relay that our team is scheduled to finish around 2:00 PM on Saturday.  Myself and a non-COG, non-Connie rider are heading on the slab from Dufur to somewhere east of Boise during our first day of travel.

Well, the weather may not be quite as good as forecast earlier in the week but it still looks to be a fair day for a ride so I hope that all who are signed up make it tomorrow. I know that Samantha, at the Balch Hotel, is excited that we are coming. Her husband, Jeff, will be finishing up the HTC as we sit down for lunch. Lucky us, we get his chocolate chip cookies!  LOL

Sheesh!! It's a good thing that Pat and Patti are back in the groove after spending some time in Arizona because the "rain" seems to have kept the C14 riders who signed up, at home. Them and the "guest" BMW riders who were scheduled to find out about "Sport Touring At It's Finest".  :motonoises:  We had a good ride up Klickitat Canyon (yes, Washington) and on south to Dufur where we had a late & lazy lunch at the Balch Hotel. Then, with a whiff of wild fire smoke, we headed on home via some USFS roads before cruising up and over the eastern and southern slopes of Mount Hood with great views.

PS: I got more bugs on my windscreen than raindrops! :))

Remember, next month's ride is in Southern Oregon!

Jay, Jeff, and Brian, have a good time.  I was hoping to get there, but other things came up. Perhaps next year!  You guys ride safe! :motonoises:

Well, after a great (overall) get together in Southern Oregon this past weekend for September's ride, we'll be back in the Portland area for October's ride. Watch for a posting on the calendar in the next day or two!

OK, this month's ride is posted on the "Events Calendar" now. As noted, if you are thinking of attending please sign up. Also, I see that it indicates that this is for "members only". Don't believe EVERYTHING you read. If you want to invite a guest, do so. I might! I have "issues" with the process of putting stuff on the calendar!

Had a fellow COGGER volunteer a favorite ride for this month's 4th Saturday ride and he and I rode much of it yesterday. If you like roller coasters you do NOT want to miss this one. LOL  Weather will dictate how much riding we do but his is route can be short cut fairly easily and it's not far to start with. Just fun. You won't want to eat a large breakfast at Elmers since lunch will probably only be 2-3 hours from departure. IF the weather is OK.

Weather forecast is for mostly sunny and 69 degrees and I'm the only one signed up for the ride on the 26th????????

My C10 has been mostly unreliable and offline since July.  Hoping to get it patched back together soon (electrical gremlins in the ignition system) but no promises.  Keep wanting to make it out for a tootle...

Sorry Dan, I just plain forgot!. I have since made other plans. Weather is supposed to be great all weekend

No problem, Bruce. We'll try to make do without you.  : )

Looks as though it will be pretty cool (but dry) tomorrow morning, so dress accordingly, kids!

you missed a fun rollercoaster.  and the loop de loops.  say... didn't we just go past that old gray tractor from the other direction 10 minutes ago.....  and of course DamDan thinks we're all whimps because we were cornering so slowly but I thought it was quite exciting to heel the connie over on a green (moss) road with pine needles on top, diving into a decreasing radius corner on a road you've never been on before.  yeehaw.  wonder if those Dunlop tire engineers have nightmares about the PNW roads in the winter....

Seriously, Dan did a great job again.  fun ride.  I just don't think I could retrace the route from memory.  we seemed to zigzag all over the place....
-Brian

DamDan would be hard pressed to re ride the exact route that we rode. Especially since Bryon led! Thanks, Bryon! Stay tuned for NEWS, shortly, on this month's ( yes, November) ride and possible Holiday Party afterwards.

OK. This month's ride is on the calendar. I'm still working at setting up an "Oregon Holiday Party" for the lunch stop that day but am awaiting info from both the AD and a couple of other "regulars" before forging on. I'll update this as soon as possible.

Well, since I've not had any response to my emails about COG support of the party and the ride is not much more that a week away, we'll NOT be having a Holiday Party at the end of the ride this month. I also noted that I'm the only one signed up for the ride although I'm pretty sure that at least a few others are planning on attending. With a poor turn out indicated, I'm less inclined to push for the party anyway. Looks as though if anyone really wants to party they'll have to ride to Seattle for Charlie's get together. So, plan accordingly.

Last email, on 11-5 was to nwad@cog-online.org 
I just forwarded that email to both of the addresses that I have for you. Recognize it?

DamDan said:
Last email, on 11-5 was to nwad@cog-online.org 
I just forwarded that email to both of the addresses that I have for you. Recognize it?

Yeah.  Memberize, our wonderful web host, has decided they will no longer forward e-mails to Yahoo or AOL accounts, so the one you sent was delayed by a long time.  I'm working up a response right now.

Signed up for Saturday.  Family doesn't need me for a change, it's on the right (left) side of PDX, and my bike is back together (we'll see by Saturday if the intermittent issue is resolved, rode today).

Look forward to finally meeting you peeps.

Pre rode much of the planned route a couple of weeks ago with a couple non COGGERS and the rest yesterday by my self. Was wishing I had worn my electric vest by the time I got to Timber! Since the weather forecast is for much of the same, dry but cold, I hope everyone dresses accordingly. I'm planning on taking the long way to breakfast tomorrow morning, via US30 and Cornelius Pass Road to insure that CP Road is OK to ride that early in the day. So, if I'm late to breakfast, you'll know why. LOL Am going to try to email the route to those who have signed up and will have copies with me at breakfast. When we return, anyone who wants to join me for a late lunch at Big Al's in Beaverton is welcome. The ride will include a visit to Fishawk Lake where we can view it's glory hole in over flow mode. Pretty cool. The ride overall is about 160 miles and 3 1/2 hours long, depending on how long we break at Fishhawk and then Elderberry Inn where anyone who needs a "break" can do so or get gas. Please come to breakfast with at least 100 miles worth of fuel.

Got a call from Charlie, late Friday, who came down with door prizes and met us for a late lunch (on him) at Big Al's in Beaverton AFTER a good ride of about 160 miles! Although various circumstances kept a few of the rides who had earlier indicated that they would be attending, we ended up with four of us riding my route to Fishhawk Lake to see it's glory hole. A first for the others, I gathered! Though there was a few "frosty" spots along the way, it was a pretty good day for late November. Thanks again to Charlie for making it down. Now all we have to do is convince him to bring his bike some time. LOL

Watch for NEWS on next month's ride!

Good ride last month for four of us ended with a late lunch with Charlie who had brought some goodies down. I'm thinking of only hosting a short ride after "lunch" on the 28th this month and am looking for input. I have a metropolitan route of less than 40 miles picked out that would include Portland's only covered bridge and Oregon's oldest dam before ending up at the Vietnam Memorial in Washington Park. The ride would be dictated by weather. I don't ride or condone riding on ice/snow and below freezing temps. Please let me know you thoughts on this month being a "lunch" start and short ride.

And, Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Bruce! Once Steve M gets back from wandering the great SW on a photo safari, I'm going to try to set up a lunch in Eugene, mainly to meet the two newest COGGERS in Eugene. I'll keep you informed, also.

Since no one has objected, the ride this month WILL be lunch @ Elmer's in Clackamas instead of breakfast. Then, a short ride to some scenic and historical spots in and around Portland that should only take about an hour. Check the "Calendar of Events" for more details. Hope to see you there.

Well, after yet another successful 4th Saturday (12th in a row) ride today, I can put a wrap on my 2013 reign as AAD for Oregon.  : )  Thanks to Bruce and Jarrod for attending today along with my invited guest Wayne who left his FJR at home and rode his little SU250. LOL Good thing we didn't have any real riding to do today. It's been fun meeting and riding with all of you who turned out for the eats and rides and prizes. More of the same next year. Or at similar. Watch for a new thread for this coming year under 2014 Oregon Rides. I'm cutting the frequency of the rides that I am hosting to every other month with the first ride in February and am open (as always) to suggestions on changing the day of the month for the rides and ride routes. So, let me know if you want change! 

Thanks for hosting Dan.  It was good meeting you, Bruce, and Wayne.  Turned out to be a great day for a ride and I put another 70 miles in on the way home.  Hope to attend several more in the future.

Thanks for doing this Dan.  Good to finally get on under my belt.  Fun to see some history and geography in the Portland I didn't know about.  I also rode some more that day...burned half a tank of fuel.  No bad weather, just bad gear!

Thanks for the posts, guys. Looking forward to some longer rides with you where we can "stretch our legs". LOL  I rode over to Newport yesterday. It was a lot nicer over there!

Bruce. I was riding my '98 (Windsor Green) on the trip to Newport and Corvallis. AND, my '06 isn't up for sale. Yet, anyhow. But, soon. I can't justify keeping both now that I'm retired and have the '98 back up and running good. The ride to the coast was a bit nippy but with the electric vest and newly installed "Hot Grips", I did just fine. Once at the coast I didn't want to leave!

See you in '14.

Oh, pass the word, Ramsey Waite Sports, here in Eugene has a '05 (gold color) with 8000 miles on it for sale.  Don't know how much though.  Looking forward to more monthly rides this coming year!