• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2013 SW regional Rally

Newby question: Having never attended a COG event of this scale -- what's the typical schedule?

My guess is Friday reg and social/planning; Saturday ride, followed by dinner and wrap up;and then Sunday get the heck out of town. Is that about right, or are there events on Sunday?

Only asking because there now appears to be the narrowest possibility that I won't be traveling cross country this weekend and that I could jump on the bike Thursday evening, slide east to the rally and still be back in San Jose by Monday morning (could be late morning)  :great:

Thanks for any info,
Dan

SantaCruzRider said:
Only asking because there now appears to be the narrowest possibility that I won't be traveling cross country this weekend and that I could jump on the bike Thursday evening, slide east to the rally and still be back in San Jose by Monday morning

Dan - that's pretty much the schedule. Keep in mind that Cedar City is 10+ hour ride from San Jose going the short way - 5 south over to Bakersfield, 58 to Barstow, 15 to CC. Alternatively you can go across 120 through Yosemite and pick up 6 through Tonopah and then down 375 and across to CC. About 11 to 12 hours. If you'r planning on being back Monday, the northern route back would make for a nice ride.

I'm in north San Jose, but haven't decided whether to go down Thursday or Friday. Maybe we can hook up. Ping me off-line and we can talk options.

Oh, and I do hope you mean July, not this coming weekend.

Jim

Hey Jim,
Let's talk Saturday. Yeah, I was referencing the rally weekend -- I'll see you in Hollister "this" Saturday.

Sure would love to make Cedar City work. I have a huge blocker if work needs me to be in Chicago "that" week, but otherwise am hoping I'm unneeded and can think about squeezing in a Utah weekend. I agree that the distances are a bit daunting for someone trying to avoid using vacation days, especially while I still have a son in school.

Talk to you soon,
Dan

JPavlis_CA said:
SantaCruzRider said:
Only asking because there now appears to be the narrowest possibility that I won't be traveling cross country this weekend and that I could jump on the bike Thursday evening, slide east to the rally and still be back in San Jose by Monday morning

Dan - that's pretty much the schedule. Keep in mind that Cedar City is 10+ hour ride from San Jose going the short way - 5 south over to Bakersfield, 58 to Barstow, 15 to CC. Alternatively you can go across 120 through Yosemite and pick up 6 through Tonopah and then down 375 and across to CC. About 11 to 12 hours. If you'r planning on being back Monday, the northern route back would make for a nice ride.

I'm in north San Jose, but haven't decided whether to go down Thursday or Friday. Maybe we can hook up. Ping me off-line and we can talk options.

Oh, and I do hope you mean July, not this coming weekend.

Jim

June, though...right?

You pretty much dinged it Dan. I'm working on a schedule of activities now and will be sending out to all attendees. Last ride back from Fresno I came through Porterville over the mountain to Johnsondale, Kernville, Barstow to Vegas. About 9 hrs but purty and until Ridgecrest stayed in the hills and away from slab and Bakersfield. Another twist if time permits is hit Ridgecrest, turn left and then right and come across the top of Death Valley to Pahrump NV and over. Nice ride but more miles. If there is interest let me know and I can give lodging recomendations for a Thursday night or Sunday night stay in the Vegas/ Henderson area. Thurs. and Sun. are very inexpensive here. I also spoke with Rally Central and they have added another block of rooms but 2 queen bed rooms are limited FYI. Also, If anyone would like route downloads in Garmin or Tom Tom formats PM or email me. I have not converted them yet but expect to in the next few weeks.

Old Man on a Connie said:
......  but expect to in the next few weeks.

Next few weeks.... NEXT FEW WEEKS!?!?

Hell - I'm already starting to pack!  New luggage on the way, new pump and plug kit already here.  Route planned, hotel reservations made, and co-riders lined up!

Can we move this thing up a few weeks?  :))

(Just not the end of April - okay?  Don't want to impact my Cancun vacation....)

notsluggo said:
......  but expect to in the next few weeks.

Next few weeks.... NEXT FEW WEEKS!?!?

Hell - I'm already starting to pack!  New luggage on the way, new pump and plug kit already here.  Route planned, hotel reservations made, and co-riders lined up!

Can we move this thing up a few weeks?  :))

(Just not the end of April - okay?  Don't want to impact my Cancun vacation....)
We gotta get you off the mountain dew and red bull  :)) :)) :)) Although to give credit where credit is due I think NotS was the official 2nd registered and has veeerrryyyyyy patiently watched this evolve. :great: :beerchug: C U in CC

Still have this penciled in on my calendar and was looking at possible routes...  My preferred route (up thru Flagstaff to Page along southern UT and up to Cedar City thru Dixie Nat'l Forest (south of Cedar Breaks) looks like it won't happen...  :'( According to http://www.azdot.gov/us89/, 89 from the turn off to Jacob Lake (89A) to Page is closed for the foreseeable future until the road is repaired!  Just thought I'd let the folks that might be thinking of coming up that way (from AZ or NM or even southern CO) to be aware and to keep an eye on the website for updated news of re-opening...  Not that going thru Jacob Lake is a bad way to go...  :)

Lady Di - we'll have four riders coming through four corners Thursday AM if you'd like to ride in with us from there.  We'll be finishing the day in Torrey, UT (having begun it in Ouray, CO.).  Friday - an easy 250 miles (or so) into CC from Torrey.
At least that's the plan right now.....  >:D

Thanks for the offer notsluggo!  :)  If you were going the southern route from Ouray thru Durango, Kayenta and Page, I'd have hooked up w/ you in Kayenta or just west of there... but going the northerly route (thru Torrey) is just too many extra miles for me at this time...  Not sure how much time I can get off as it is.  :mad:

Just for comparison's sake, I plugged it into Google Maps...  http://goo.gl/maps/ctlMV 

LadyDi said:
Thanks for the offer notsluggo!  :)  If you were going the southern route from Ouray thru Durango, Kayenta and Page, I'd have hooked up w/ you in Kayenta or just west of there... but going the northerly route (thru Torrey) is just too many extra miles for me at this time...  Not sure how much time I can get off as it is.  :mad:

Still fine-tuning the route - but if we met ya in Cortez the morning of day 2.....  Your miles from Cortez to Torrey, UT would total about 270 or so...

Day 1 – Wednesday, 6/5/13 – Approximately 300 miles
• Meet @ the Willow Ridge Manor (just N of 285 where goes north 8 into Morrison)
• 285 S to Salida - ~ 122 miles
• 50 W to Gunnison - ~ 65 miles
• Lunch & gas in Gunnison
• 50 W to Montrose - ~ 65 miles
• 550 S to Ouray - ~ 37 miles
• Overnight at the Ouray Victorian Inn (970.325.7222) 2 Qn Room - $113 each w/tax
• Walk into town (couple blocks) for dinner and beverages

Day 2 – Thursday, 6/6/13 – Approximately 400 miles
• 550 S to Durango - ~ 71 miles
• Breakfast in Durango
• 160 W to Cortez - ~ 46 miles
• Gas up in Cortez
• 160 SW from Cortez to Four Corners – obligatory tourist stop - ~ 40 miles
• Backtrack to 41 NW - ~ 6 miles
• 41 / 162 NW to 262 N - ~ 27 miles
• 262 N and W to 191 N - ~23 miles
• 191 N into Blanding - ~ 15 miles
• Lunch & gas in Blanding
• 191 S back to 95W - ~ 4 miles
• 95 W and N to Hanksville - ~ 122 miles
• 24 W from Hanksville to Torrey - ~ 48 miles
• Dinner & overnight at Austin’s Chuck Wagon Motel (435.425.3335)

Day 3 – Friday, 6/7/13 - Approximately 210 miles
• Breakfast in Torrey
• 12 S from Torrey through Bryce (possible detour into the park) to 89 S - ~ 124 miles
• 89 S to 14 W - ~ 21 miles
• 14 W to Cedar City - ~65 miles

You're welcome to join us, but if not - hope to see you in CC!

I sure hope these other guys I'm riding with can deal with a 400 mile day!  :motonoises:

My longest day so far was a 418 mile day from Denver to Rapid City SD.  I can do it again!  I'll make sure I get a few long ones in before we leave for Cedar City.  :motonoises:

Notsluggo,  I'll certainly keep that in mind and I'll let you know if I can get the requisite days off.  :great:

MrSkydriver said:
Anybody want to ride out with me?  I'm in Santa Rosa.

Gregg - I'm meeting up with Dan for the Pinnacles Ride Saturday, and we'll be discussing riding out. Maybe leave Thursday and stay in Tonopah, or Friday and burn all the way on the slab. What were your thoughts?

jp

JP, I've scheduled to be off work Wed. 6/5-6/11 so I'm pretty open.  Thought since I was taking so much time off, I'd also be a tourist........ :rotflmao:
Gregg

MikeB said:
Just thought I'd drop some info down for the Triple R.  Our "Big Ride" option for Saturday, June 8th is a loop that encompasses HW12.  Found this New York Times article from 10 years ago about this Scenic Byway.  All still true today.

http://tinyurl.com/cnjcvrr

Can't wait!
:motonoises:
Great article, looks like a super ride.  Going to Google hybrid maps next.

Thanks,

Bert

MikeB said:
Just thought I'd drop some info down for the Triple R.  Our "Big Ride" option for Saturday, June 8th is a loop that encompasses HW12.  Found this New York Times article from 10 years ago about this Scenic Byway.  All still true today.

http://tinyurl.com/cnjcvrr

Can't wait!
Ok, think I got it on Google.  14 East to 89 North to 12 East 24 North West to 62 South to 89 South back to 14 and the barn.

How many miles?

Bert

Sorry, should have posted this in the beginning.  It's on the registration page along with 3 other routes and it comes in around 360 miles.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209771733868082526036.0004d2923b780aaaf9c7c&msa=0

Looks sweet on the map.  Looking forward to it as I was going to include 12 in my route to the national.

CaffeineMan said:
Looking forward to it as I was going to include 12 in my route to the national.

It is on my route to the RRR!  And I've ridden it before - so it'll be even better the 2nd time!  :motonoises:

Rally Agenda and Banquet Menu. Let me know if any questions or suggestions. C U in CC. :beerchug:

Attachments

• Rally Agenda.pdf
    255 KB · Views: 123
Bob said:
I'll be going up from Orange County. Looking forward to it!

Bob Sullivan
Where in Orange county do you live? My wife and I are planning on going and we live in Trabuco Canyon. Maybe we can join you.

Rally Agenda and Banquet Menu. Let me know if any questions or suggestions. C U in CC. :beerchug:
Looks like a fun agenda Mark and I like the menu!  :beerchug:  :motonoises:

I'm looking at coming and I would like to share a room ( I seen a post here or somewere that someone was looking to split a room but I can't find it now ). If anyone else is thinking the same way PM me and lets talk.

Dave

Stubby said:
I'm looking at coming and I would like to share a room ( I seen a post here or somewere that someone was looking to split a room but I can't find it now ). If anyone else is thinking the same way PM me and lets talk.

Dave
I think DGOLD was asking in case the CFO couldn't make it.

Me (Arizona) and my Brother in Law (Utah) both registered but staying just a half mile away at the Hilton Garden Inn. Using my Hilton points for free stay beats even the reduced rate at the host hotel and we can walk or ride over easily.
We both did a preview run last year and the riding is fantastic out there!

Mike , excellent article. Hwy 12 is my favorite. I've been on it many times but never tire of it and always seem to find something new to see.
Notsluggo, you have a awesome route planned to get to the rally, we also have some other rides planned so that if you want, you can ride different awesome roads. ;D

postrucks said:
Notsluggo, you have a awesome route planned to get to the rally, we also have some other rides planned so that if you want, you can ride different awesome roads. ;D

Notsluggo, your route has been Postrucks Certified!  :great:  He knows that area like the back of his hand.  Nice to let us know you're still alive there Jim.    ;D

MikeB said:
postrucks said:

Notsluggo, your route has been Postrucks Certified!  :great:  He knows that area like the back of his hand.  Nice to let us know you're still alive there Jim.    ;D

I'm all a titter!  Thank you gents for your rousing endorsement of my ability to navigate Google maps in an effort to turn a one-day semi-fun ride into a three-day exploration of some of the finest vistas this country has to offer!  :bravo_2: :wee_hee: :1rij: :13: :allhail: :Woot_Emoticon: :08:

I Think Ill Sign Up Also, Question Is CouldOr Should One Route Include The Beautiful Grand Canyon Two Years ago I Rode Down To The North Side Of The Grand Canyon Just 60 Miles South Of knab

Cboothe said:
I Think Ill Sign Up Also, Question Is CouldOr Should One Route Include The Beautiful Grand Canyon Two Years ago I Rode Down To The North Side Of The Grand Canyon Just 60 Miles South Of knab
Give us your route Charlie. We'll work it up and put it in.  :beerchug:

Cboothe, it would be awesome to go to the north rim, I especially like the Cape Royal road. I'm worried that it will be to long of a ride, I'm thinking that it would be at least 400 miles round trip from Cedar City or 8 to 9 hours on those roads.
Hey Mike :great:

yea could be a little long but from cedar city through knab  highway 14 to 89 down to the north rim of grand canyon is about 160 miles each way i maped it on google but not sure how to post a route but a round trip is about 320+ and depends on the weather it could be good temperature or ive known it to be 100+ on some years, in 2010 we went down through flagstaff and sedona, and havasu and back through vegas to slc the first couple of days were great, 70-80 degree the last two were brutal  going through vegas was 109+ the worst part was in vegas somebody had heart attack so they closed the road we had to sit on the hot freeway for an hour waiting for lifeflight  either way I think im getting excited sounds like a good time no matter where we ride

:))

Cboothe said:
yea could be a little long but from cedar city through knab  highway 14 to 89 down to the north rim of grand canyon is about 160 miles each way i maped it on google but not sure how to post a route but a round trip is about 320+ and depends on the weather it could be good temperature or ive known it to be 100+ on some years, in 2010 we went down through flagstaff and sedona, and havasu and back through vegas to slc the first couple of days were great, 70-80 degree the last two were brutal  going through vegas was 109+ the worst part was in vegas somebody had heart attack so they closed the road we had to sit on the hot freeway for an hour waiting for lifeflight  either way I think im getting excited sounds like a good time no matter where we ride

If you laid it out in google maps clink on the chain link lookin' thing, copy the url and paste here. Maybe somebody could tie it in on a in or out route.  :beerchug:

great I found out how to post your route here is an option see what you think
thank

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=North+Rim,+AZ+86052&daddr=U.S.+89A+N+to:U.S.+89+S+to:37.1971794,-112.3784602+to:S+Main+St+to:U.S.+89+N+to:W+200+N&hl=en&sll=37.534777,-112.59201&sspn=0.59132,1.352692&geocode=FWqHKAIdoBRS-SlDkHK3sRIzhzEKxcXAAl3LqA%3BFfQYNQId4wFL-Q%3BFTsjNQIdHlpN-Q%3BFXuVNwIdpD1N-SlxDdN3-CY1hzHpfteF48scxA%3BFVNtOQIdteVJ-Q%3BFd8HPAIdmTFL-Q%3BFev2PgIdxrVC-Q&mra=mi&mrsp=6&sz=10&via=3&t=m&z=10

Nice Charlie. May be a tie in for our AZ and CA friends. I'll see if I can get it worked in. Is a haul for a day ride with pit'ure takin time added in.

Mr. Hamilton from the Valley. If your following this please PM me. Got your reg for 3 and tried to email you but was returned. Your good to go but want to touch bases.
Mark

The route CBoothe posted is awesome.  Done it many times (except the part between C&D, I usually just stayed on 89 but then I was in a car and trying to make time up to Panguitch).  For those that don't want to go quite so far as the north rim of the Grand Canyon, they could check out Coral Sands (amazing "pink" sand dunes) or Pipe Springs (if you are into history more than natural beauty, although the area is pretty also)...  Been to both and both are worth the stop.    ;)

After meeting so many fellow COGers at the Oatman: Burros and Tall Tales ride this weekend, I definitely need to get in my reservation for RRR and get my time off from work booked!!    :beerchug:  :motonoises:

Just a reminder and to keep it on the radar for all you folks waiting to pull the trigger. Early registration savings ends on 5/7. Rooms are locked until 30 days prior. We have 33 registered. When was the last time you saw 33 folks turning out for a SW event? This is really turning into a Do Not Miss. Any questions or problems PM me. C U in CC.
Mark Hartman
COG/SWAD

:iagree:

In fact, I registered this afternoon!
:great:  :motonoises:  :celebrate: :dance: :13: :1rij: :08: :06: :wee_hee:

???  Uh... TECHNICALLY, it's only 9...  the guys doing "The Wave" are all one...  And I figured it was cool... I only added 2 more than

notsluggo said:
I'm all a titter!  Thank you gents for your rousing endorsement of my ability to navigate Google maps in an effort to turn a one-day semi-fun ride into a three-day exploration of some of the finest vistas this country has to offer!  :bravo_2: :wee_hee: :1rij: :13: :allhail: :Woot_Emoticon: :08:

:rotflmao: :beerchug: :rotflmao:

55 days away. Just trying to give everyone a heads up. Room rate ends May 7. Early Registration ends May 15. Have some folks that have reserved rooms but haven't registered for the Rally yet. Just trying to keep it on your radar. C U in CC.  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :)

MikeB said:
Sorry, should have posted this in the beginning.  It's on the registration page along with 3 other routes and it comes in around 360 miles.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209771733868082526036.0004d2923b780aaaf9c7c&msa=0
Thanks for attending the BTL-OATMAN Ride.  We'll be arriving in CC on Thursday the 6th.  Morning of the 7th Reta & I are riding your loop.  I'm anticipating a 10 hour total ride ride time with a little under 8 hrs saddle time and 2 hrs to eat and smell the roses.  Does that sound like a reasonable time frame?

Bert

Thanks for being a great host Bert!  It was a wonderful 4 day weekend for me.  Enjoyed it very much.  I'm thinking that your estimate is right there in the ball park Bert.  I'm going to see if I can't have Postrucks chime in and give you his opinion as he's more familiar with that area and probably the loop itself.  It's really his loop. :)

Really looking forward to this.  I can't get there on the 6th, but I have Friday the 7th off.  Since I've never ridden in the area before my plan is to try to bag 3 out of the 4 listed routes:

- On my way up Friday from LV I'll hit the Zion/Cedar Breaks route (minus the Kolob Reservoir part)
- Saturday the big loop on SR-12 from postrucks/Mike.
- Sunday home via Snow Canyon.

Seems to maximize the fun in the 3 days allotted.  :motonoises:

CaffeineMan said:
Really looking forward to this.  I can't get there on the 6th, but I have Friday the 7th off.  Since I've never ridden in the area before my plan is to try to bag 3 out of the 4 listed routes:

- On my way up Friday from LV I'll hit the Zion/Cedar Breaks route (minus the Kolob Reservoir part)

Brian, now I see why they call you the "Caffeine Man".  Do you plan on riding or sleeping at night?  :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Bert

BertL said:
CaffeineMan said:

Brian, now I see why they call you the "Caffeine Man".  Do you plan on riding or sleeping at night?  :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Bert

I need to get in shape for the National :rotflmao:

Pahrump is not that far from Cedar City and I am cheating, skipping the I-15 parts of both loops on the way up and the way back.  ;D  That makes the trip up 309 miles and the trip home 289 miles.  360 miles on Saturday.  Plenty of time for sleeping, eating, and :beerchug:  Of course :coffee2: helps in the morning and on the trip. ;D

Seriously, I'm no iron butt and the amount of the riding for the National concerns me slightly.  I've done 400 miles/day for 4 days in a row a few times (9-11 hours in the saddle per day), but I'm toast after that.  For the National my plan is to ride up over 3 days (300-350 per day), then rest Sunday, ride Mon-Thurs (no clue how long yet), resting Friday, than hammering back in 2 days, giving myself another rest day before I have to go back to work.  That'll be the most dense-packed riding I've ever done.  :eek:

Just registered!!  My wife and I will be coming to the rally! Made reservations also at the Best Western! Looking forward to it. Now we need to find some bikes from California we can travel with to the rally! See you all there!  :motonoises:  :beerchug:  ;D

Rusty said:
Bob said:

Bob Sullivan
Where in Orange county do you live? My wife and I are planning on going and we live in Trabuco Canyon. Maybe we can join you.

I live in Aliso Viejo; cell is 949-636-4169; I'm planning on stopping somewhere in/near Las Vegas on the way up & possibly back?

What else will you see at the Red Rock'n Rally? Check the cover of the new issue of the Concourier for a shot of Jim P.'s bike in Escalante. Nice shot Jim.  :great: :motonoises: :beerchug: :)

The rug rat stuffing rally packs. Great stuff from the UT dept of tourism. Just the begining.  Tick Tock, watch the clock.

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 114
I am slightly embarrassed to say I will be towing the Big Boy to Cedar City. The wife had a Full Knee Replacement and the last weekend ride was at her limit. So I have planned to leave Thurs. June 6  (in the early evening) from L.A. and will be spending the night at Buffalo Bills (easy in and out and to bypass Vegas traffic and parking with a trailer). That way I should get to CC early Friday and still have time for a good day of riding. Anyone planning something similar? Caravan? Alternate ideas?

I'm just glad your making it DG! Just a reminder about that evil thing called time. Room block close in about a week. Early reg closes in about 2 weeks. Shirts are being ordered and the deposit check went out to the caterer. Raffle prizes are piling up and the rally packs are packed. Banner is in hand and route map is being printed as we speak. Thanks to all of our sponsors: Advanced Sport Touring, Twisted Throttle, Aerostitch, White Horse, Baldwin, Riders Of Kawasaki, ROK Straps and of course SWCOG/COG. I'd also like to thank my Friend Mario with LD Comfort. Please use these fine folks for your gear needs. They are all great supporters of our Hobby, Life style, fun. Great Job done by the rally elves. This is what can happen when a few folks have a vision and don't let uphills slow them down. Don't miss this event. At the next Rally will you be able to answer the question "Were you at the Triple R"? Really looking forward to meeting everyone and a great weekend in the RED ROCKS. C U in CC.
Mark Hartman
COG/SWAD

Just so that everyone knows. I heard a rumor about a parking lot gremlin that will be cruising around the rally turning all the heated grip controllers to high while people are asleep. You won't know it until you feel it, then wonder WTH? So double check before leaving for your ride or suffer hot paw. Just wanted to give a heads up.  :)

Bob said:
Rusty said:
Bob said:

Bob Sullivan

I live in Aliso Viejo; cell is 949-636-4169; I'm planning on stopping somewhere in/near Las Vegas on the way up & possibly back?

Bob just noticed your comment......We would like to join you up to CC if it works out. As we get closer we need to call each other.  :motonoises:

I think me and my wife have to go there!
Just a little jump over the pond :)
I think you can make us "guests of honor" and give a little discount :)
It is that why we are Dutch :)

See you all then.

Harry and Coty
Netherlands

Dirty Harry said:
I think me and my wife have to go there!
Just a little jump over the pond :)
I think you can make us "guests of honor" and give a little discount :)
It is that why we are Dutch :)

See you all then.

Harry and Coty
Netherlands
Harry and Coty, You make it I'll have a little somethin' for ya. Here's the rally elves getting ready to work on the route map and the little stickies for the the registrants. Every reg gets 2 as well as a shirt. Proud to be COG/SW.

Attachments

• IMG_0204-1.jpg
    IMG_0204-1.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0203-1.jpg
    IMG_0203-1.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 112
I just registered for the Rally and hotel.  I am really excited because I love this area and I have a new riding partner - my 20 year old daughter is going to accompany me (riding pillion)  This will be her first tour.  We are coming from Orange County, CA.  Plan on making the long trek on Friday to Cedar City.  :great:

Harry and Coty, You make it I'll have a little something' for ya. Here's the rally elves getting ready to work on the route map and the little stickies for the the registrants. Every reg gets 2 as well as a shirt. Proud to be COG/SW.
[/quote]
Wow, that,s nice.  I think to make some folks jealous by wearing my "old" National Rally shirts and should not forget to pack those.

Harry's gonna be there???  HARRY'S GONNA BE THERE! WITH COTY! ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!    :1rij:  :allhail: :allhail:  :allhail:

Been a few years my friend, and I look forward to seeing you and Coty.

Time to break out the big guns - who's got the older shirt?  I'm gonna have to go digging in the history closet.  :)

Now I just have to figure out how to convince Linda to ride across the desert in summer.

Jack_Provda_CA said:
I just registered for the Rally and hotel.  I am really excited because I love this area and I have a new riding partner - my 20 year old daughter is going to accompany me (riding pillion)  This will be her first tour.  We are coming from Orange County, CA.  Plan on making the long trek on Friday to Cedar City.  :great:
We have 3 persons for sure that are leaving from Orange County along with you and your daughter that makes 5 if we ride together to CC (only if you want company ;D).

Who else wants to join us?  :motonoises:

FYI for folks coming in or returning through Vegas. Just stopped by Carter Powersports to pick up some gift cert's for the Rally.  http://www.carterpowersports.com/ Greg, G.M. told me to spread the word that anyone coming through, Mentions the Rally and shows their COG membercard will get a discount on parts and service. Which also reminded me whenever you go to your local shop ask for a COG discount. You may get a blank look which in turn gives you the opportunity to explain who and what we are. After a few folks start asking the peeps in the shop may see a light bulb go off and it helps spread the COG word.
C U in CC

Rusty said:
Jack_Provda_CA said:
We have 3 persons for sure that are leaving from Orange County along with you and your daughter that makes 5 if we ride together to CC (only if you want company ;D).

We would be up for riding with the group.  I guess it depends on when everyone wants to leave. I was currently planning on leaving very early on Friday to beat some of the desert heat, but could be talked into leaving on Thursday. Last time I did this ride I left at 5 am and was in Cedar City by noon.  It was a really hot ride. 100 degrees in Vegas at 8:30 am.  I strongly suggest cooling vests and mesh gear for crossing the Mojave.

Don't forget your Camelback - and wear it under your riding gear. Fill it ice and water and wear it under your jacket, presuming yours can be worn as a backpack. This will keep the jacket/backprotector off your body allowing air to circulate, and the cool bag against your back will help regulate your core temp. Plus you'll have nice cold water to drink (for awhile). Refill as necessary.

Check this link from my Friend Mario at LD Comfort. http://www.ldcomfort.com/productuse.HTML  (who was also kind enough to contribute some items for the rally raffle). I've used this technique and can vouch it's effectiveness (as well as his products). Desert travel is a challenge but can be dealt with comfortably. BTDT.  :) Jim's suggestion is also a good one. Key is to stay hydrated. Drink BEFORE you get thirsty. Also check his rally page where you will see our rally displayed.  :great: :beerchug:

JP, that's a great idea... I'll have to try that.  :great:

It's already heating up here in the Valley of the Sun-stroke and on my ride yesterday, I made sure that I watered down the inside of my helmet (so awesome to find out that those vents really DO do something!  When there is something to evaporate - it was almost COLD inside my helmet!!) and I also poured water on my t-shirt (front/back and sleeves) and on my gloves... What a difference.  Of course, as I wasn't riding w/ just Connies, we had to stop for petrol more often than a Connie group would so that gave me plenty of time to dampen up again...  Good for about an hour/90 minutes on the wet t-shirt under the mesh jacket but the helmet went longer, which was awesome, as that is where I find I really need the coolness... I can take my arms/legs, etc, being warmer but if my head starts to get too warm, it'll give me headaches and/or affects concentration/thinking...  Which is contra-indicated, especially on a bike.  ;)

Just rec'd another mail in reg.  :great: Early reg closes today. Also just confirmed Harry and Coty for the Rally. Great participation from the SW area. You Folks Rock! Really looking forward to this and the future of the SWCOG.  :beerchug: :)

I recently threw a promo for RRR out on the SC COG forum to try to entice some of those folks (that I know from SC) to participate.  Not THAT far for them.  We'll see!!

Randy

HEADS UP SENIORED C.C.CITIZ.ZENS.  We will be playing in or near three National Parks as I count on all my fingers and unfrozen toes...I had a public school education.

Senior Annual Passes are available at the entrances to the National Parks.  Cost is $10.00 and provides access to all National Parks on an annual basis.  As an example we were recently at the Grand Canyon.  The standard vehicle entrance fee is $25.00.  We purchased the Senior Annual Pass for ten and now have access to all National Parks....you can't beat it.

Something to think about if you are seniored...62 or older and a citizen or permanent resident.

BertL said:
HEADS UP SENIORED C.C.CITIZ.ZENS.  We will be playing in or near three National Parks as I count on all my fingers and unfrozen toes...I had a public school education.

Senior Annual Passes are available at the entrances to the National Parks.  Cost is $10.00 and provides access to all National Parks on an annual basis.  As an example we were recently at the Grand Canyon.  The standard vehicle entrance fee is $25.00.  We purchased the Senior Annual Pass for ten and now have access to all National Parks....you can't beat it.

Something to think about if you are seniored...62 or older and a citizen or permanent resident.
Very Much +1. It will pay off for the national too. For the less age challenged a year pass will pay for itself between these 2 events.

Email just went out to all registered. Attached are the rally agenda and draft ride sheet. Were Rollin'. Can't upload excel. I'll figure a different way to get it out.  :beerchug:

Attachments

• Rally Agenda.pdf
    255 KB · Views: 118
:whoo:  Just got word today that the sig. other will be joining me!!  He'll start his 4000+ summer trip to his [Yamaha] Raider Rally at our event!  >:D

Now I gotta go get him registered... Can I add him to my registration or do him as a separate and not worry about room stuff?

OMC - I've been meaning to suggest this for a bit - wont take much additional effort...
What about arranging for chair massage to be available on Friday afternoon.  I'm sure a number of folks (me included) would probably enjoy a good back / shoulder massage after a long day's ride.
I had two attend the first afternoon of a national VTX rally i helped coordinate a few years back and they were both kept very busy.
Just a thought...

notsluggo said:
What about arranging for chair massage to be available on Friday afternoon.  I'm sure a number of folks (me included) would probably enjoy a good back / shoulder massage after a long day's ride.

Great idea Bill!  Mark and Bill, check your email.

I'm not thrilled with my Kawasaki gel seat, so I hope to see what everyone else has at the rally.  I think I don't weigh enough to take advantage of the gel seat - 155 lbs.  and I would prefer a lower seat since my inseam is 30"...or I could wear platform shoes... :rotflmao:

Also, I have the Corbin trunk that I would like to sell for $500...they are $899 new and mine looks new....'08 Neutron Silver.  I could deliver it to you at the rally.... :great:

Gregg

Rusty said:
Jack_Provda_CA said:

Rusty - are you trying to coordinate the riders from Orange County?  You can contact me direct at provdajack@earthlink.net or 714-812-7907.  Thanks.

Anyone in my area, Santa Rosa, want to ride up together?  I'll probably leave on Thursday 6/6 and return Monday 6/10.
Probably taking the route through Las Vegas.  :motonoises:

Gregg

LadyDi said:
:whoo:  Just got word today that the sig. other will be joining me!!  He'll start his 4000+ summer trip to his [Yamaha] Raider Rally at our event!  >:D

Now I gotta go get him registered... Can I add him to my registration or do him as a separate and not worry about room stuff?
Di, Awesome, you should be able to add as guest to your reg. Lemme know if I can help. Did you get your cards? Bill, looks like Mike is on your suggestion like cold on snow. The hotel has a very nice indoor pool and hot tub.

T-23 and counting folks. For those following this thread and freinds that may be involved. Please register as soon as possible. We need final counts for dinner, shirts etc. very soon. The rally team does not want to plan on 50 meals and have 55 show. We don't want anyone walking away without one of these Kick A$$ shirts or the value packed rally envelope because of late registers so please register asap. We have currently 45 registered. Original best guesstimate and ordering number was 50 so the line is ready to be crossed. Please help us help you! The membership of the SW area has really stepped up and shown enthusiasm and willingness to participate. Very proud! Really looking forward to this.
C U in CC
Mark Hartman
COG/SWAD :motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :)

MrSkydriver said:
Great job Mark and friends!!  :great:  Very much looking forward to my first COG event.. :motonoises:

CUINCC,
Gregg
Without letting too much of the cat out of the bag, our sponsors have been AWESOME!. Word to the wise................leave a little room in the luggage for the ride home. :)

As the rally gets closer I would like to offer any help I can to those traveling. I'm the feet on the ground as mark calls it, I live in cedar city. If anyone has questions at all about lodging, food ,beer, directions,anything at all please feal free to ask. If you need something done before you get here let me know and I will do my best to help,looking forward to the rally and meeting everyone