• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2016 South Central Wildflower Regional Rally

fred-houston

COG Membership Officer
Registered!!!!!    ;D

Looking forward to this again.  :motonoises: :great:

Here is some video on FM 337 from a few years ago. This is in 920P resolution and is in 4:3 instead of 16:9 aspect ratio.

https://vimeo.com/117981955

This will be a great rally!

Craig

kv5e said:
Registered!!!!!    ;D

Looking forward to this again.  :motonoises: :great:

Here is some video on FM 337 from a few years ago. This is in 920P resolution and is in 4:3 instead of 16:9 aspect ratio.

https://vimeo.com/117981955

This will be a great rally!

Craig

Ah yes I remember that truck passing in the curve very well. I wish the camera could have gotten a picture of my eyes when I saw the truck on my side of the road.

Haven't been in a few years but definitely going to try and make it this year. Although it was light rain the year I went, I had a blast. Nice hotel and good riding.

Mo :) :)

Registered.  Working on getting a room soon.  Looking forward to it. 

The Margarita Ninja will be present, locked, and loaded.

Any Wildflower I get to without crashing is always a good one. LOL
I look forward to seeing all of yous guys too.  :motonoises:

Rev Ryder said:
connie_rider said:
Bringing the turbo?  :sign0098:

Ride safe, Ted
That's anybody's guess at this point.  I have no clue what the future holds right now.

Maybe, just maybe I will get to finally ride the turbo this year. Heck if worst comes to worst I guess we could put it on Ted's trailer and I could sit on it while Ted drives down the road about 80mph and I can make some cool whistling exhaust sounds.

Rev Ryder said:
I could probably slap the old one together fer ya as a nekkid in a coupla weeks. LOL

Nah I was just messin' with ya. I don't really need to ride the turbo, remember I used to race a tricked out H-2 so I know what it feels like to do 140 with your hair on fire.

Anyone care to share a room. I'd like to do this, as I have a little time in between rallies, but being retired and on the road for all of April has me watching my money.

Hey Al,
I would be glad to share my room if you like. Not sure if I have a room with extra bed or not, just know that I have a reservation. PM me or call 903 918-4014.

Hey Al, hope you make it.  Great to see you there. 

If you did not know this event has a Hx of weather.  I mean every year we have weather of some kind to deal with.  See if you can bring the best weather yet.  Even though killer floods do may life interesting on a bike.  Also I would say that only about two out of ten years we hit the wildflower season dead on and can enjoy floating on a colored clouds as you roam.

Hi Bob, its been some time buddy. Being out for all of April, I think my chances are pretty good for some rain now and then. Likely will hit snow when I'm in IL. I've got some pretty good stories involving lots of rain and road water crossing. Hope I don't have to add another. Looking forward to seeing you and Leslie, and all my other COG friends from the south central area, which may or may not include Teddy.

What happened to all the chatter about this rally?
Any cigar smokers in this crowd? How about Bourbon with a good cigar? How about Bourbon, a good cigar, AND sitting around a fire with some COG friends?

( cleverly disguised bump )

NO cigars for me or the wife......and please stay downwind.

A lot of folks are not forum chatterers Al in the SC, it will pick up in a week or two.

As for libations, I have quite a wine cellar, so I bring a couple of bottles. Chuck, Troy, and the wife and I are definitely more on the single malt Scotch side of the fence.

Ted brings some of his home made "corn squeezins", but I prefer to use that to clean the wheel rims.

Cheap 14 hour old whiskey with Atomic Fireball flavoring is not in vogue either, although up in AR they don't know any better and suck that execrable swill down like it is water from the rock after Moses struck it with his staff.  :D

But Fireball is CHEAP, so drink it if that "floats your boat"!

What is in vogue at the Wildflower are Chuck's margaritas!!!!!!!!!!!!

bb9.png

Ciao baby,

gr33nmAn

Ted brings some of his home made "corn squeezins", but I prefer to use that to clean the wheel rims.

I guess it is useful then; at least something about you is clean.  :??:

NOTE, we like the Fireball.
          We just drink it with a different finger in the air than you. (when ya drink yer fine wine).
          admittedly; Our Al's finger gesture is less refined, but it's more to the point..  :nananana:

See ya at the River Inn soon...  :great:

Ride safe, Ted

I just called the River Inn and confirmed my arrival day. (Thursday April 14)

Was told there are still 10 rooms available and they can be arranged at the COG price ($85.00 for a single)
But, you have to call.
http://www.riverinnresort.com/contact

So, if your interested in; staying at a great Motel (River Inn),
                                    riding the Twisted Sisters {and other great Hill Country Roads},
                                    lie swapping with your COG buddies, (yes, even Al)
                                    and {best of all} picking on kve5 /gr33nmAn / Craig.

Call and sign up now!!!  1 800 841-0501

PS: Al and Craig are actually a good friends of mine. (Don't tell them I sed that).

IMPORTANT: Also go to the COG Calendar/South Central and register.
    http://cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=227329&mo=4&tDate={d%20%272016-04-12%27}

Ride safe, Ted

I will be bringing a bottle of Canadian Hunter in case of snake bites. Ted I may have to get you to help me find some snakes when we get there.

Good plan.
I understand there is a bar down the road that has a lot of snakes in it...
We kin look there.  :great:

NOTE: I won't tell yer wife if you don't tell mine?

Ride safe, Ted

Margaritas
Margaritas
Margaritas
Margaritas
Margaritas
Margaritas
Margaritas
Margaritas
Margaritas
Margaritas
Margaritas
Margaritas
Margaritas
Margaritas
Margaritas

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Happy to wake this thread up.
When the key to the bike is put away, I might have a couple of Tequila shots with my Black & Tan's.
See, we do speak a universal language after all :)

IronButtAl said:
Happy to wake this thread up.
When the key to the bike is put away, I might have a couple of Tequila shots with my Black & Tan's.
See, we do speak a universal language after all :)

Looking forward to it Al!!!  :motonoises: :great: :motonoises: :party0036:  :06: :campfire:

Craig

C'mon ya'll. There is always room for more riders.
Come ride with us!!!!

Ride safe, Ted

(uh, Did someone say Margarita's)?  :34:

im in chuck ! 

Looks like Joshua is going to get to join me as well. 

Hope you get to ride a little more this year.    ;)

Robert, I'm going up on Monday so I should get in plenty of riding.  I'm tickled Joshua is going too.  Should be good times.  :)

Hi, wanted to introduce myself to y'all as probably the newest COG member in the South Central Area.  Excited to attend my first event and start meeting folks.  I live in San Antonio and planned to drive up on Saturday and then back after we finished the ride.  But on second thought, I could be properly initiated  :beerchug: if I stayed and spent the night. 

Is anyone available to split a room with me?  Been spending my all my spare cash on farkels so looking to cut costs.  ;)

And let me know if there is anyone I should be careful around, on the bike and off.

Simple answer, as always.
Watch out for Rev!!!! (and Jim, and Craig, and Marty, and etc etc etc).....

I'd be glade to split a room with ya, but my wife would be highly pissed!!!

Ride safe, Ted

SATXRIDER said:
Hi, wanted to introduce myself to y'all as probably the newest COG member in the South Central Area.  Excited to attend my first event and start meeting folks.  I live in San Antonio and planned to drive up on Saturday and then back after we finished the ride.  But on second thought, I could be properly initiated  :beerchug: if I stayed and spent the night. 

Is anyone available to split a room with me?  Been spending my all my spare cash on farkels so looking to cut costs.  ;)

And let me know if there is anyone I should be careful around, on the bike and off.
Steve, my wife isn't going on this ride, so I can share my room with you. I'll be arriving on Thursday afternoon and leaving on Sunday morning. Other folks are arriving on Thursday, too, so we can get in more riding time.

A few of us Northerners are coming down from MN on the 6/7th to watch the MotoGP in Austin.  Then headed down south of Kerrville for the week to enjoy those roads.  Looks like I'm going to miss your fun, but I'm sure we'll find some for ourselves.  Whiskey of many flavors will be enjoyed.  Have fun guys!  Loved the video.  Reminded me of going there about 4 years ago.

Cold Streak,
Come early, stay late. No need to miss out on my world "infamous" Margaritas or the campfire evenings alongside the mighty Guadalupe.  :great:

Well, I wish it wasn't so, most of my friends are retired, but I better be careful what I wish for ...

Damn, I do like a good margarita though.  :beerchug:

Fred/Martin,
I am a bit confused about a Friday meal.  Your newsletter made it sound like the meal on Friday would be on location at River Inn but the event listing on the calendar said something like an optional dinner at a nearby restaurant.  I am just trying to figure out whats what, where and what to bring.

smithr1 said:
Fred/Martin,
I am a bit confused about a Friday meal.  Your newsletter made it sound like the meal on Friday would be on location at River Inn but the event listing on the calendar said something like an optional dinner at a nearby restaurant.  I am just trying to figure out whats what, where and what to bring.

Plans that were made after the event was posted.  We will be having a meal at the River Inn on Friday.  I will email all attendees with some more information early next week.

I'll be heading up to Kerrpatch on Tuesday to spend a couple of days helping Hub with the nitro car to sort out a chute problem.  Then I'll be at the River Inn Resort Thursday afternoon or  evening and the old, fat boys "Bucket List" crew will be off to run somewhere or another I suspect.
https://www.facebook.com/BucketListFunnyCar

Someone needs to fix the weather forecast.  It takes all the fun out of riding when its wet.  I will still enjoying seeing everyone but...  I think out of the 15 years I have been doing this none were actual rain outs but 100% had rain at some point in the weekend.  I was hoping this year would be the year LOL

Bob, come early on Thursday like several of us are, to ride on Friday, too. The weather looks to be good on Friday.

Thursday AND Friday look to be good so far.  The rest of the week looks mighty soggy on and off.

Fixing to ride to Fred's house and will be shopping rain gear on the way since it's already raining here. LOL

Wound up buyn nothing.  Don't care for frogs. Rubber doesn't work.  But I can swim. Ill be fine.

We will have to hit it hard on friday and get some riding in, in case it rains saturday. I'm with Bob and can't believe how many times it has rained at the WF ride.

Bigfoot_16 said:
Bob, come early on Thursday like several of us are, to ride on Friday, too. The weather looks to be good on Friday.
Yea I wish, some of us have work on Thursday.  I may take as long and flowery a ride Friday coming out as I can. 

There is still a chance I will not make it at all.  Mike needs surgery but just is to scared to schedule it.  He may get so bad any day that he can not wait anymore.

Originally, Pamela and I had planned on arriving Thursday, but that was before the Dallas Stars won the Central Division and became the number one seed in the Western Conference. As luck would befall us, the Mavericks had a scheduled regular season game on Wednesday night, so the NHL scheduled the first playoff game Thursday night for the Stars. We are going to that game. (season ticket holders)

We will drive down Friday and join the festivities and it will be great to see everyone!

Ride free,

Craig

rained lightly on me much of the way today.  Rarely too much more than a sprinkle, but fairly consistent the first three hours. After SA it was cloudy, but no rain. Rained cats and dogs this evening, but should clear early tomorrow through Friday. C'mon.  :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

Had a major hail storm come thru San Antonio last night.  Glad it did not happen while we had our "pride and joys" sitting out in the hotel parking lot on Saturday night.  Weather forecast looks to be trending dryer, at least for Saturday, so keep our fingers crossed. 

SATXRIDER said:
Had a major hail storm come thru San Antonio last night.  Glad it did not happen while we had our "pride and joys" sitting out in the hotel parking lot on Saturday night.  Weather forecast looks to be trending dryer, at least for Saturday, so keep our fingers crossed.

The western trough in the last several GFS and Euro runs has trended slower. Additionally, the PWAT or precipitable water amounts are lower for the Saturday period. What was suggested earlier was several rounds of heavy rain, now maybe a single pulse later in the period is more likely. Definitely more favorable for riding on Friday and at least part of Saturday.

Craig

I kicked butt yesterday and today and think I will have the Thursday work done today.  I called the venue and I can get the room a day early.  We should be there Thursday evening now. 

All I can say is that today was an awesome day in Hill Country. Temps from 65 to  79 depending on where I was. Nice!!! Y'all better hurry up and get here.

Robert said:
Friday looks nice for the ride up but coming home on Sunday is another story !    :??:
I bought a new rain suit today... Hasn't rained since. Blue skies here in Kerrpatch USA

Rev Ryder said:
Robert said:
Friday looks nice for the ride up but coming home on Sunday is another story !    :??:
I bought a new rain suit today... Hasn't rained since. Blue skies here in Kerrpatch USA

Thanks for buying a rainsuit! Maybe that will stave off the rains until after the dinner Saturday!!!!! :campfire:

gr33nmAn

Al stayed with us last night.
Got on the road for the rally at about 9:00 AM.
Should be there around 1:00 or 2:00..

We're leaving Houston now.
Have to make a side trip to San Antonio.
See ya'll this afternoon.

Ride safe, Ted

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Doesn't look like I'll be able to make it this year, sorry guys.  Have fun and ride safe.

Sorry Fred.......I know you will be missed.  :beerchug:

Craig

Well an uneventful trip up from San Antonio that is until I get 5 miles from the River Inn on 39 and a herd of about 30 Fallow and Sika deer run across the highway. Glad I was in the truck and not on the bike. Would have taken an hour with a steam iron to get the pucker spot out of the seat.

I took Pamela on her first long trip to the WF in 2004 and Sunday morning we left very early to get back. It was still dark and we happened to leave behind Brian Depew. As we quietly putted up TX 39 toward Ingram it was misty and drizzling and there were scores of deer along the road side with eye shine and some were up so close I think I could have reached out and touched noses. We just kept putting along quietly and once we were past Bee Branch there were no more!!!!

It was very unnerving, but I just followed Brian and kept the bike as quiet as possible!!!!!! :-\  :truce:

Craig

Jim Snyder said:
Oh and I have video from my phone to prove it.

Only your testimony is needed............ :rotflmao:

I got home to Plano ok. Rain was very light most of the trip until I got just east of Alvarado. Then it was heavy from there through Dallas. I watched cars in front of me hit puddles so I knew where not to ride in my lane on US 67, I-35E and US 75. I hope everyone else has a safe ride or drive home.

Pamela and I are home. Greg and Kate turned off at Alvarado went went North.

We had a great time and some day rides will be coming up in the next month.

Ride free,

Craig

Got a lot of use on the way home out of the new rainsuit I purchased at Destination Cyclesports in Kerrville (shameless plug for Bob and Sarah Kee and my man Chuck in parts).

Anyways, we made it home and had a great time all week.  Sure is always good to get to see my good friends and fix em a Rita or three.  Good times.

The riding was good, but, as always, the camaraderie was even better. Thanks to Farty Marty, fred-houston, and his buds Doug and Dan for putting together a great rally, lots of great food, and a great time.  Thanks also to Al Norcross for coming cross country to spend time with us and to Troy for his special contributions to the fun.  And thanks to all the great folks who always make the Wildflower the ride to make in April.  You guys and gals rock!!!  Can't wait to catch up to a bunch of ya AGAIN in Helen.

We made it home about 4pm. Hit some severe rain north og Austin and drove several times at 20mph with the 4 way flashers on. Saw one bad wreck and a few hydroplaned cars in the shoulder grass. But back home safe. Sure wish we could catch two days at Wildflower without rain. But got to visit with my COG family and consume some adult beverages and tell a few lies.

We're home too. (Houston).
Only 1 hard rain as we traveled home. The heavy lasted only about 10 minutes, then very light another 30 minutes.

Al called, was in Pensacola taking a break. Still trying to get home today.
Said it's been beautiful most of the way..

Wow!!!!

Jim Snyder said:
We made it home about 4pm. Hit some severe rain north of Austin and drove several times at 20mph with the 4 way flashers on. Saw one bad wreck and a few hydroplaned cars in the shoulder grass. But back home safe. Sure wish we could catch two days at Wildflower without rain. But got to visit with my COG family and consume some adult beverages and tell a few lies.

YIKES!
I too had a pickup right in front of me (actually right beside me except that I got on the skids hard) at 70 mph on 1604 going around SA that lost control and went wall to wall on the highway several times.  It lost three of the four wheels and LOTS of debris.  I skidded pretty good but didn't go down trying to stay out of the way.  Dolores was a few cars back and didn't realize I was right there when they lost it.  Glad she didn't see me sliding around.  But I was fine.  There were several children in the truck (Chevy) and it didn't appear anyone was buckled in.  I don't think anyone was hurt more than just bruised up though.  We wound up just mosey-ing on when they seemed OK and there were plenty of folks on the scene rendering aid before I could even get my helmet off.  Lots of mess on the road though.

Thank you to everyone that was at the wildflower rally. It was our first one and although there was a little rain we had an excellent time. We met great people and we are looking forward to the rally in Helen.  :great:
See you all soon,

Kevin and Cristy,

This was the first wild flower for me.  I really wasn't looking forward to it all that much as I was behind at work, behind on preparing the bike and myself for the ride.  And lastly I didn't really enjoy the last South Texas ride I took.  Well was I wrong.  Great people (willing to put up with me), great food, interesting conversation (mostly lies) and , well never mind about the weather.  Glad I trailered though without a doubt.  Warning to all I plan to come back again and again to see how long you folks will put up with me.  Thanks to all that created this opportunity.  Ride safe.  And dry when you can.

Snip {good food, interesting conversation (mostly lies}

Keerection,,,    We NEVER lie!!  We just "enhance" the truth.

Warning to all I plan to come back again and again to see how long you folks will put up with me.

OMG!!!  :-\  There goes the neighborhood!!!!  :-[

Ride safe, Ted

I wanna know who keeps leaking the dates to Ted so he figures out when we're gonna be there? He keeps showing up every year.  Someone has some 'splaining to do.  :nananana:

This Turkey guy has promise I tell ya... Ted, meh...  ;)

Was my first COG event and I had a great time.  Even though the weather was iffy, still appreciate Jim and Greg heading out with me for a ride on Saturday.  Enjoyed hearing all the stories (and I am sure a few lies) :)  But truly great people.  Really looking forward to Helen where we can crank it up a notch or two.

Nice area riding, and meeting the typically great folks of COG. Putting faces to forum names is always a bonus for me, and making a few new friends is just the best. Good conversations with Troy and Craig, and Rev's Margaritas hit the spot. My thanks to Fred and Marty for all the work they put in to make this event successful. I know what it takes to get it done, and I'd like to come back next year. Maybe better weather is the only way to improve on this rally.
Looked at the weather channel early Sunday, and made a decision to beat the rain closing in on the area. Got to I-10 and hammered the first tank to put the cloudy sky far behind. When I cleared Houston, I knew the rain couldn't catch me, and didn't need to stay over with Ted. That worked out well, considering the flooding that ensued for that area. Wind in east TX and west LA was pretty bad. Hanging off the right side of the bike and running the right stripe in the right lane, I was barely ably to stay in my lane, and a few times almost crossed over into the passing lane. Took a lot out of me trying not to get run over in an abrupt lane change. Late Sunday night arrival at 1200+ miles, I was glad I packed my heated vest for the trip. Saw maybe 50 deer that night, but my Hella deer finders make travel more safe than without them.
Nice meeting everyone, and thanks for your hospitality. Fun ride............

We made it home with no real rain or problems.  I guess getting on the road at 6am paid off.  I was able to help Al find I 10 and off he went out of site.  We planned 16 to Kerr and 290 home and it was light before we got to 16.  I was home by 8:30 when some of you were just getting up :).

Thanks all.  I know some of you worked hard and we appreciate it.  Even though I gained a week of weight back eating it all.

another great time  :great:      Dan and I made it back safely.  we had only a few spots of rain and certainly nothing bad.

Kevin and Christy it was nice talking with you.    :beerchug:  hope Joshua did not bore you too much with the videos and pictures.    ;)

and Steve I look forward to the ride to national.  :motonoises:

That wild turkey man (Robert B. ) is awesome!  Little did he know that a few months ago he was booking a room at the host hotel for Dan and I. 

sure was nice of you to get 2 rooms !    :great:     

See yall at Helen, GA.