• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Announcing: Rolling Rally in the Alps II

connie_rider

In 2016 about 8 COGgers joined our sister club (GCE /GTR Club of Europe) and attended their Rolling Rally in the Alps.
I was one of the fortunate 8...  :great:
It was the best ride I have ever gone to!!!

I got word recently that their gonna do it again in 2018.
  (I and several of the Lucky 8 have already signed up.)

If this interests you, go here, read the info, and  "WATCH THE VIDEO"!!!
https://sites.google.com/site/gcerollingrally2018/home

https://sites.google.com/site/gcerollingrally2018/home/event-presentation-video

After that, post here {or talk to one of the Lucky 8}, and we'll help answer your questions.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: First question is always, "what will it cost"?
      Second is "how much time do I need"?
      Here is a kinda/sorta guestimation,, {Intentionally a bit high on the questimate}
            "approx.". $5000 for 1, and $8000 for husband/wife..
      I suggest 3 weeks to truly enjoy Eu, but could be done in 2 weeks.

I had a great time! But I went with the Edelweiss Motorcycle Tours package deal. I went with Jim Pavlis back in 2004 to celebrate our 50th birthday.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here is the entire tour posing at the end of the trip...

ry%3D400

The only thing I could find to complain about was having to ride a Beemer for a week!

:))

Kay & I have signed up and are looking forward to this Alpine adventure.

We plan to arrive the week before and stay a few days in Bichlbach Austria an do day trips out of there. Then arrive in Zell am See a few days before the start.

That's the plan for now, it's over a year away so things can change.

I know it's a long time until the ride.

I started the post; in the hopes of stirring interest and doing some discussions.
ie; Answering questions for folks that think they might be interested.

Anyone thinking about it, that has questions??

Ride safe, Ted

This is starting to intrigue me a bit.

I would want to spend about six-eight weeks in EU and Scandinavia. Seriously considering shipping my bike over as the rental would add up to be pretty ugly.

I would be looking at eastern EU as well as the Italy/Croatia area followed by running up the coast of Norway.

Air Canada out of either Toronto or Montreal seems to be the ticket with Montreal working out a bit better. I can spend some time with Canadian Steve and Canadian wifey in Ottawa before and after the flight.  :great: I haven't zeroed in on where to arrive/depart the EU.

I would be camping and/or hosteling, most likely, for the rest of the trip with maybe a bit of couch surfing, hopefully.

Ted, when the room chart says half board what exactly does that mean?

Does everybody ride crazy fast through the twisties or can a person be OK riding at a moderately brisk pace?

Thanks.

I did it for under $3k on a gs800 - but that was just me and a fuel efficient bike.

If you have a good gps or app and can upload the daily routes you will be able to go your own pace. We had three ride groups, which changed regularly, and it was whatever you wanted every day. If you were late to the final destination that was a bummer/people worry - so we just communicated well and had no problems.

Gas was high high high - it made a difference gassing up once a day vs twice for the bigger bikes.

Shipping your bike is cheaper, faster and easier if you can go from Canada - SteveJ is all over that one.

My biggest fear was getting my wallet emptied - aside from a few tolls and expensive beer in Switzerland it was pretty cheap to get a snack or coffee or something from a drug store.

The roads blew me away. The pre planning was amazing. The hotel breakfasts and dinners were great. Mika had parking figured out - he had it all dialed in nicely. Was really a cool trip.

Just adding - hope it helps

:beerchug:

SteveJ. said:
This is starting to intrigue me a bit.

I would want to spend about six-eight weeks in EU and Scandinavia. Seriously considering shipping my bike over as the rental would add up to be pretty ugly.

I would be looking at eastern EU as well as the Italy/Croatia area followed by running up the coast of Norway.

Air Canada out of either Toronto or Montreal seems to be the ticket with Montreal working out a bit better. I can spend some time with Canadian Steve and Canadian wifey in Ottawa before and after the flight.  :great: I haven't zeroed in on where to arrive/depart the EU.

I would be camping and/or hosteling, most likely, for the rest of the trip with maybe a bit of couch surfing, hopefully.

Ted, when the room chart says half board what exactly does that mean?

Does everybody ride crazy fast through the twisties or can a person be OK riding at a moderately brisk pace?

Thanks.

If you go then please go! It was an amazing 16 days that my friend Attila and I enjoyed. Made new friends too! Like Fais and Ted above! I agree with what Ted and Fais have described. Mika and the team out in Europe organized a fantastic trip. Half Board means two persons per room  so that would be your cost if you were rooming with another rider. We rented Yamaha MT-09's.... ran perfectly! Attila and I plan on going in 2018! Hope you can too! BTW if you go watch out for crazy fast Ted and Fais!

:motonoises:    :motonoises:  :great:

Steve, half board is breakfast and dinner included in the hotel rate.

Anyone know any discounts available for moto rental in Germany??

This is what I wanted to see!!

Others have already answered the Half Board question. 
I'll add; At each Motel, breakfast and Dinner were included, at a cost of about $50 a night. {Beer was extra}....

The guys that rented bikes can help hook you up on where to get a good price on a bike.
Their already in the discussion, so Rusty/Fais can assist from there.
Others rented, and can join in too.

If you plan to make an extended trip. I feel that shipping your bike is definitely the best option.

I borrowed a bike from Bernd, so my rental was the best rate of all.  :great:
  All I had to do was let him use my bike when he was here, and help Hans host "OtP" for the past 14 years....

On the speed, there were 3 basic groups. Sightseeing/playing/OMG.
With me on Bernd's BMW LT-1200, I sometimes felt we were near the OMG, but were actually at the playing pace.
A lighter bike would have been more manageable in the tight stuff, but the LT was a pleasure in the rain/cold we occasionally hit.

Don't believe Rusty. He's been known to lie. 
      I was the Old slow guy... {I admit, I occasionally I had a wild hair.}

The good news is you ride your own pace, maps are given out every day.
    If the pace is too much, back off and navigate yourself, of talk with others that are same minded and form another group.
    Also discuss with Mika. He is the organizer and will help work things out.

NOTE: This ride is not for a novice. The Tight Twisties "WILL" definitely test your riding skills.
          It's not all about speed in them either. It's about getting around that tight *&^% 180* turn, (and then do 50-100 more).
          All of this is done in beautiful scenery on the best roads I have ever done!!!

I'm not going to blow a lot of smoke.    I won't say that everything went perfectly.
As in any event, occasional head butting occurred..
But, in every case,,, it was settled and hands were shook.

I totally enjoyed the folks we made the trip with.
Would ride with any of them again, "anytime"...

Ride safe, Ted

Here is how I estimated cost.
NOTE: I intentionally estimated high so folks could anticipate higher costs.
Fais/Russ/others,,, post thoughts on a more accurate estimate?

Rooms are shared, cost about $60 ea. per night. x 10 {nights} = $600  (w/Wife $1200)
Gas will probably be about $40 a day.                      x 10 = $400  (w/wife  same)     
Food/beer guestimate; $40 - 50 a day.                    x 10 = $500  (w/Wife $1000)
If you travel coach, expect about $1000 for flight.              $1000  (w/Wife $2000)
Bike rental; (guestimate) $1000-$2000 I Assumed highest  $2000  (w/Wife same) 
Passport/international license; $100 approx.                        $100  (w/Wife $200)
Travel insurance; $50                                                          $50  (w/Wife $100)
Trinket's and shirts; $200                                                  $200  (w/Wife $400)
Phone; (we made an arrangement thru Verizon)                    $40  (w/Wife $80)

Total; $4890  (w/Wife $7380)

Ride safe, Ted

Ride safe, Ted

Ping::: Yoohoo,,, is anybody interested?

Watch this!!    https://sites.google.com/site/gcerollingrally2018/home/event-presentation-video

Ride safe, Ted

Yes, I am very interested. But I can't commit right now, the date is too far away. I won't know until Jan 2018 if I can get the time to attend.

I will be watching this thread carefully and want to be there.

Thanx,
Cdawg

I understand that.
Just looking to see who is interested...
I'm hoping we can get about 10 from the USA/Canada..
Wanted discussion so we can spread the word.

I semi-registered, but not totally sure myself. (75% sure at this point)
  Sent Mika a note and he posted my name... Haven't actually filled out the registration form..
  No $$/deposit's will be exchanged until next year..

Ride safe, Ted

We have been talking about visiting Europe for a couple years and it looks like it is time to pull the trigger with this trip.

Most of my questions  for now are concerning bike rental.
Where? Can drop off and pick-up locations be different?  A ton more .  Would like to discuss, at a convenient time,  this with someone who has done  it.

Several rented. I did not.
They can give details...
Are you saying we, meaning the wife will be with you?
Or does we mean, you and a Buddy?

The trip costs I guestimated, included bike rental..

Ride safe, Ted

Ted,

Yes, my bride will  accompany me to keep me out of trouble. ;D ;)  ;D

I've traveled extensively in Europe (on business, not on a bike). She figures the only way to get me back there is on two wheels.

http://m.motoroads.com/motorcycle-rentals-milan-malpensa-airport-motorbike-hire-italy.aspx

I rented from these guys. Had a great trip. Maximized the included breakfasts and dinners and didn't spend much else except around lunchtime.

If my lady had been with me it would have cost me at least $2000 more in: double hotel rooms, larger rental bike, 2 tanks a day vs 1, nicer lunches, cocktails and desserts in the evening, double the everything and etc.

If I were going 2-up my instinct would be to rent a convertible instead. The meat and potatoes of this trip are the passes - extreme mountain passes. Ewa would have had to wait with the luggage while I went back to hit the passes again 'light' before continuing on. I got addicted to the sound of my GS800s center stand jingling on the asphalt  :motonoises:

Mitch, 2 up will take a bigger bike, but keep it as light as possible.
The turns are definitely do-able 2 up,,, but many are TIGHT!

Like you, I had traveled Eu several times, prior to the Bike trips. (ie; Fly Navy)
  Being on a bike (and riding with our Eu hosts {and Fais}) made it a completely different trip.
      The routes will be 95% backroads and mountain passes. Very little Autobahn.
      Scenery is awesome!!
      (On a scale of 1-10, required skill level is about 8.  I think the others agree?)

Ride safe, Ted

Mitch, are you going to be at the National?
If so, several that went to the Alps in 2016, will be there.
Look us up.

Ride safe, Ted

All; Here is a video I found of Stelvio. {a BMW-1200 and a Suzuki-650, both are 2 up}
NOTE: Took some looking to find a youtube video of people riding up Stelvio at a normal pace.
Most youtube video's at Stelvio show folks driving as fast as they can...
In all honesty, I ain't saying we were always this docile, but we were closer to this, than racing up.
Pay particular attention to how tight some the turns were. {The ones in this video are NOT the tightest we rode}.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3yE05lkIyQ
Also: note that the 650 has plenty of power.

Here is another video that gives you an idea of the great scenery, and how narrow some of the roads are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMHQTD3vJ4Y

NOTE: All of the roads are not like these 2. I'm posting them so folks can see the roads that require the highest skill level.
          Many of the roads are almost as twisty as the Dragon, but they are a lot longer.. Most roads are twisty, with beautiful
          scenery. Very little (probably no Autobahn)..
          Mika's video shows what most look like...

I wanna go back!!!  :mad:

Ride safe, Ted

Only 400 days to go!!  You just gotta go! Attila and I rented our bikes at great place in Landshut, Germany not to far out of Munich. I will send out the information soon.

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

Thanks guys for all the information. Just got off  the phone with Ted who gave me the skinny on  the trip from his perspective. Will share some of his insights with Lisa to give her a better understanding of expectations.

If I had the means, the best of both worlds would be two trips: (1) Sightseeing with Lisa in a cage  and (2) this trip solo.

Decisions, decisions......

I was able to do the Edelweiss tour with Jim Pavlis, and without my wife because I told her it was for my 50th birthday present. The downside was when her 50th birthday happened, she went on a cruise with her best friend.  :great:

No, seriously, we take separate vacations all the time. We are secure enough to not be joined at the hip all the time! It'll be 29 years married in a couple weeks from now. Yeah, I'll be home from the national in time for our anniversary, but there has been many times when we spent our anniversary apart... with me gone on a road trip.
:beerchug:

If you can do both, that's how I'd do it. If not, I'd sell it as a "once in a lifetime 50/60/70 birthday trip". Or something...    ;)

Separate vacations work in our house too.  Vicki is in Las Vegas this weekend with her girl friends.  But we also have plans to attend the COG Dog Days Weekend in Staunton, VA together the end of July. 

If I had ever been selected to be the OTP Traveler that would have been a once in a life time trip that Vicki would have wanted me to go on.  But for me to go to Europe on my own dime requires me to first take Vicki on the vacation to Italy that I have owed her for years.  I will need a major improvement in my financial situation to do both in the next year.  :(

In repayment
Code:
[s]for me getting to go [/s]
Judy allowing me to go last year,, I'm taking her on her special vacation in August. (Alaska)  Assuming, I get over that big ding, I'll be there in 2018.

Here is a C-14 near the top of Stelvio at a bit more speed.
The upper section is the tightest, and the narrowest roads...
Yahoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbctOOvhwPI

Ride safe, Ted

Heard about this from the OTP Travelers last week in Kiefersfelden. I'm just finishing up 2 months in eastern Europe on my F800GS which I shipped from Toronto. I'm leaving the bike here (Sister's house in Athens) for further travels next year so might be able to join in this ride!

For those interested in air freighting the bike, the Air Canada "Fly Your Bike" program is dead simple and went very smoothly for me this year. I flew Toronto to Frankfurt May 1. Cost was exactly $1000 CDN (about $750 us) one way. Here's a link to my Blog. Scroll back to the first couple posts for a description of  shipping procedure.
vehoridingeurope2017.blogspot.com

Brian Jordan (Currently In Romania)
COG480, Cambridge Ontario

Yup, this will probably be cheaper than renting a bike for two or three weeks for alot of folks.  Thanks for posting the info Brian.

Go here,,

Select Registration Form.
Fill in the blanks.
Then send ted $200 for posting the info.. <evil grin>  ;)

Later on; {6-8 months from now} you send Mika $$ for down payment on hotels etc...

Any questions; Post them here, and the past travelers will try to answer them.

Ted

Douglas said:
Who can recommend a good shipper for bikes from Florida to Venice?

Brian_Jordan_ON said:
Almost forgot.....Further info on the Air Canada Experience (Mine and others) is on this Horizons Unlimited Post....

horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-transport/air-canada-cargo-killer-deal-80707-10

Brian Jordan
COG480

There are other links from SteveJ on tbe 1st page. Canada is cheap and easy both ways. Shipping a bike back into the US is expensive and annoying.

Douglas said:

Thanks for the info Doug.

Wasn't aware of Google Flights.
When I went, I did it the hard way;
    developed where/when was the best flight for me, then checked daily until the price dropped.
Both years, their was a short price drop and I grabbed it. (Saved over $400 both times)

Dan and Mark just got back from their "OtP" trip.
I think they found an even better deal.
  Will talk with them and see what they discovered.

NOTE: On one of my flight legs, I opted for non stop.
          That long flight, {without being able to do a good stretch} was miserable.
          If I'm able to go in 2018, I "will" do a layover both ways.

Ride safe, Ted

This would be AWESOME to do again but to soon  :'( We booked flights into Amsterdam through Condor/Thomas Cook into Manchester UK then Flybe to Amsterdam. Just around 800 bucks rd trip. Thomas Cook was impressive. Nice airline. The trains in EU are pretty awesome and I bet you could run down to Austria for a few bucks and have a nice trip. The Alps are astounding! Practice your neck stretching exercises each morning as you find yourself looking over your shoulder around the hairpins looking up the road. About half way through I started practicing the cone technique MC Leos use for tight low speed turns of turning the bike in and kinda sitting on top of the bike instead of leaning the body in. Seemed to work well. If you do this trip it is awesome and worth it. Don't follow Ted! Have a blast muchachos. OMC endorsed.

I didn't see a forum on the site. Maybe they can start one?

Will we have a chase vehickle for our luggage? I have a friend in Ft. Lauderdale that may want to come and drive a minivan and be our chase vehicle. Any thoughts?

I'm a no go on this. Interesting to think about, though.

On TDY near Eureka Mt heading to Nelson/Creston BC tomorrow. Yeehaw

Douglas said:
...Will we have a chase vehicle for our luggage? I have a friend in Ft. Lauderdale that may want to come and drive a minivan and be our chase vehicle. Any thoughts?

That's a thought.  Car rentals are not that expensive, here in Europe.  Not certain about vans, though.  As for me, though...I will only bring what I can carry on the bike (I live in Germany.)

AmphibSailor said:
[snip]
...I will only bring what I can carry on the bike (I live in Germany.)
If you live in Germany why are you listed as South Central Area?  Unless things have changed, COG members in Europe are Northeast Area.

AmphibSailor said:
Douglas said:
...Will we have a chase vehicle for our luggage? I have a friend in Ft. Lauderdale that may want to come and drive a minivan and be our chase vehicle. Any thoughts?

That's a thought.  Car rentals are not that expensive, here in Europe.  Not certain about vans, though.  As for me, though...I will only bring what I can carry on the bike (I live in Germany.)

Anyone who has ridden the area will tell you ....driving a chase vehicle there would suck. A little Lotus would be nice; but still. But a van? After the first set of switchbacks I bet your friend has an emergancy back home and bails out. The ground we cover woukd be nauseating in a van. Just sayin'. We see vehicles on the road but they aren't going as far.

Just sayin ....

We change motels about every other day.
So you can do 1 day with minimal gear, and another with all your gear as you go to the next Motel.

Pack as light as possible. But don't forget anything..  <grin>
  I took waaaaay to much with me last year...

Any idea's have to go thru Mika. {ie; it's his rally}
  They use Facebook, not Forums..

The idea of this discussion; is to talk, discuss, and get some idea of who may go.
    Great discussion!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Only 320 days to go before this Alps Rally 2 starts! Needs a bump! Still planning on going with Attila and hopefully at least a couple of more here in Southern California!

Gonna be awesome....especially the fun spots we go to before the rally starts!

Top, 2018 hasn't started yet.
I assume the contribution links are locked for now.
I'll ping Jorge and see what's going on.
Hope to see you at the Rolling Rally...

Ride safe, Ted

Well I registered for next years trip! Really looking forward to going again!

Less than 8 months to go!! WooHoo! 240 days to the start! Just a friendly bump up! If you are interested I would tell you this is one awesome adventure and you will have the time of your life on a motorcycle with people that love to ride and in an area that is beautiful with great carving roads!

:motonoises:    :motonoises:    :great:

I just looked at the Participants List and 21 are already signed up.
12 of those are from USA/Canada.  :great:

This event is limited to X number of people. (I'll try to find out that number}

So if your interested, don't wait.

Ride safe, Ted

Again; Look here for more info and the Video.

https://sites.google.com/site/gcerollingrally2018/home

Merry Christmas All! Only 200 days to go to the start of the Alps II Rally! Woohoo!

meanwhile i can show you some photos from an earlier ride in the Dolos...

Attachments

• 3 zinnenPanoramica1.jpg
    3 zinnenPanoramica1.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 116
  • a_Sella06.jpg
    a_Sella06.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 112
  • berghang.jpg
    berghang.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 116
Hi Ralf, Great pictures! Looking forward to meeting you and riding those fun roads!

I was looking for other video's in the area Mike posted and came across a trip that others made last year.
    Unlike some of the other video's we've posted, these are not all "blitz and go".

These have lots of scenery and (if you watch the differing conditions) it will give you an idea of many things that you will see/experience.
NOTE: These are pretty long so bounce around if you get bored....

On the 3rd video; pay particular attention to the narrow road's and 180* switchbacks.
Those of us that go <GRIN> will definitely test our skills on roads identical to these!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh7BpiH9KEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyXikwD75aQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arK89N21Xik

Enjoy!!
  Ride safe, Ted

Great Links Ted!! 177 days to go till the start! Woohoo! Does anybody have any experience riding on this road in Romania- Top Gear selected the Transfagarasan Highway the best road in the world and our group may try to ride it before the Rally as we go to visit Hungary first! Love to hear from any riders on this and any great roads (back roads) to take from Munich to Budapest on the way! Thank you!

:motonoises:    :motonoises:  :beerchug:

Important; Binding registration must be sent in prior to January 31st 2018.

I just looked at the participant list and see there is 1 opening (in a shared room)..
  {NOTE: I am not sure this has been updated recently}

I suggest; If you wanted to go and thought it was full,, send Mika a note immediately!
                Because;  there might still be a chance for you to go.

Ride safe, Ted

I came across some photo's of Passo Stelvio.
This one is a test of everyone's skills.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=stelvio+pass&FORM=hpbap1

Grossglockner........
Supposed to be beautiful.
  We didn't get to see this one when I rode it the first time..
      It was so foggy we could barely see the tail light of the bike in front of us! (at about 20-30')
        We had to turn on our 4 ways so we could see the bike we were following.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Grossglockner&FORM=RESTAB

Ride safe, Ted

Just received a note from Mika.  :Woot_Emoticon:
  He's working on finalizing room costs/assignment's.

NOTE: "When we go",  Everybody be sure to thank Mika.
            {He does a great job of organizing, & this is REALLY a lot for work for him and his Boss [err wife]!!}

Bottom line; We're getting closer to D-Day!!!  :13: :dance: :victory: :clap:

"Soon",, he will send us info on; how much/when/& *how to send in our down-payment $$.
    ** Last time, we did the D-P via paypal.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Don't tell Russ, as he tends to get {err} "a bit" over excited...  :67:
      {unless you consider riding you bike around in your front yard "necked",,, as "normal" ?}  :motonoises:

Oops, I just remembered that Attila is going. {He thinks that behavior might be "Normal"...}  :nananana:
        Oops again, I just remembered that Doug is going. {For him,,, that behavior "is" "Normal"...}    :17:

Gee, "Somehow" I suspect we're gonna have a blast with this bunch!!!!   :pDT_Armataz_01_37:

Hi Capt'n.
Won't be far behind you.

Just saw my note from Mika.
Will send mine in shortly.

Yahooooooooooooo, we're getting closer!!

Ride safe, Ted

**Update; Payment sent..

150 days to go!! Woohoo!! Hotels are now paid! Looking forward again to meet great people and ride some fun roads! 6 coming from California! Watch out!  :)

Rusty said:
150 days to go!! Woohoo!! Hotels are now paid! Looking forward again to meet great people and ride some fun roads! 6 coming from California! Watch out!  :)

:great:

Yes we all are going to have a great time! Ted and Patrick I am not sure you knew or not but Rob just spent 12 days in Colombia riding a rental motorcycle through the mountains and jungles with a couple friends..... They may be the same ones coming to the Alps from Canada! Very cool!

Good Morning all, 4 months to go till the start of the rally today! Woohoo again! Just need to pick up a International Driver's License and a few nik naks and will be ready to go! Gonna be so much fun! Thank you Mika and the team for putting together the routes and hotels! See you all soon!

Geez, you already have everything ready?
I've hardly started getting things ready.

My main plan is take a lot less than I did last time!!

Ride safe, Ted

Justa thought here; If anyone that is reading this is interested in the ride,,, there might be a chance you could go.
                              ie; Everyone has sent in their $$ for rooms etc, but someone might have to cancel.
                              If so, Mika might be looking for someone to take that place.
                              Bottom Line: if your interested, send Mika a note, or contact me and I'll give you the info to reach him.
                                                  It never hurts to ask..

Ride safe, Ted

Woohoo!! In 100 days our group will be landing in Munich on July 7th, then we pick up our rental bikes in Landshut and head to Hungary and then back for the Rally start on July 13th!! Going to be a great trip before we even start with the rally! We now have 6 of us heading to Hungary on the 7th. More information down the road. Ralf a OTP traveler this year sent me a couple of possible routes coming and going. They look super!

I'll be arriving Frankfurt on July 6.
Tentative plans are to meet with Bernd {others?} there, and do a pre-Rolling Rally excursion to Dunkirk, and Normandy.
If we can work it out, Boomer {first "OtP Traveler} may meet us for a day or so.
After that,, "The Alp's"!!

Ride safe, Ted

Hi Ted, That sounds like a lot of fun too....I know you wanted to check out Normandy and I must admit after watching the movie Dunkirk that would a very interesting place to visit too! I know we will keep in touch as the days gets nearer. The Rally will be excellent!

3 Months till the start of the Rally!! Have everything ready! Should be awesome!!

Now it is 2 months from today when the group from Southern California flies into Munich! We are heading to Hungary and areas nearby before we head to the Rally start! Should be Epic!!  Getting close now!

Just received this from our Rally Master.. Mika
      Yahooooooooooooooo!! 

Hi all participants,
Enclose you find a program sheet concerning our upcoming event.
The program includes guidelines, what/where/when, for our nine days adventure 😊

Greets,  Mika

Are any of you {that [sadly] won't be with us} interested in seeing the program sheet/schedule?

Ride safe, Ted

Hi Ted, Yes I received that email from Mika this morning....Getting more excited...Are you going to order a shirt? I think it would be cool to post what is going on each day of rally. That way persons that are interested get a feel of what the rally is and where we are going.

Maybe see you at the National...I am still on the fence on whether I am going all the way there with the two travelers.

Do come. We'll talk to anyone.
Ordered my shirt yesterday.

It's a shame others can't go to Ride the Alp's II with us... {All the spots are taken}
Gonna be great!!

Have any of you {that are reading this} ever rode in Eu?
If yes,, where?
If no, is it a dream?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Do come. We'll talk to anyone.
Ordered my shirt yesterday.

It's a shame others can't go to Ride the Alp's II with us... {All the spots are taken}
Gonna be great!!

Have any of you {that are reading this} ever rode in Eu?
If yes,, where?

Ride safe, Ted

I would love to do that but I don't know when.  It's on my bucket list.

Irene

Only way to check it off the bucket list is to "do it".

I had that dream, and "OtP", "COG", and "GCE" {GTR Club of Europe} are what made this possible.
Hopefully others will be able to got to a GCE Rally in the future.

NOTE: Next year, we will be sending a COG Member {or 2} OtP to ride with GCE.
            They are selected by votes from COG/GCE members.
          Many don't realize that a Tag-a-long can sometimes travel with them..
            "Think about it"..

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Only way to check it off the bucket list is to "do it".

I had that dream, and "OtP", "COG", and "GCE" {GTR Club of Europe} are what made this possible.
Hopefully others will be able to got to a GCE Rally in the future.

NOTE: Next year, we will be sending a COG Member {or 2} OtP to ride with GCE.
            They are selected by votes from COG/GCE members.
          Many don't realize that a Tag-a-long can sometimes travel with them..
            "Think about it"..

Ride safe, Ted

I'm going to have to pass for next year as a tag-a-long.  My granddaughter beats out everyone and she'll be in Niger.  But just keep reminding me Ted.

Irene

if i will guide the OtP - Travellers next year, i cannot go to the GCE-Arctic Rallye II, but if i participe at the Rally, i cannot guide OtP - what shall i do?

i have not enought vacation days from my job for both events...

maybe, once if i will be retired, i could do it...

Decisions, decisions. Hard to know what to do.
A simple solution might be; They will come during the GCE-Arctic Rallye II...
Sounds like a good plan to me!

Lastly. I wasn't aware of the GCE-Arctic Rallye II.

Tell us more!!!

Ride safe, Ted

PS:  Irene, on your Bucket List, I am now reminding you about this!!

60 days to go till the Alps 2 Rally starts!! Woohoo!! Still need to get my International Driver's License! Maybe I will get it done this week!

It's going to be awesome!!

Mika posted the kml files for the ride routes.  I already converted them and uploaded onto my TomTom Rider 410. :motonoises: :motonoises:

AmphibSailor said:
Mika posted the kml files for the ride routes.  I already converted them and uploaded onto my TomTom Rider 410. :motonoises: :motonoises:

Garmin files are now available...

The "BIG" 50!! No not my age...I wish  ;) It is 50 days till the start of the RALLY! Getting more excited! Weather is warming up in Europe and it's almost time to start revving up the engines! See you all there! The Californians are coming! The Californians are coming!

One month to go before the Rally starts!! Close to having everything I need to make this a very special trip! Having the OTP travelers stay with us the first couple of days, traveling with them and others and the upcoming last couple of days with them has got me very excited about our upcoming travels!

Will be awesome!!

Woohoo!! We fly out of LAX in 3 weeks from today to Munich to get an early fun start, before the beginning of the Rally! 5 Crazy Californians flying that day with another flying out 4 days later! Gonna be awesome!!

OMG----Two weeks till departure to Munich, Germany to start our ride before the rally and three weeks before the start of the rally!! WOOHOO!! Time is going fast now!! See you all there!!

I will depart Houston July 5.
Others??

Talked to Bernd yesterday. Bikes are ready...
He's planning a heck of a side trip to and from the rally...  :motonoises:

Ride safe, Ted

Hi Ted, Let's hear about the side trip...I know you will be going to Normandy and possibly Dunkirk...what else does he have planned and when do you start your journey? We may not be going to Hungary now...so if that happens we will likely hang around the Alps area and hit some passes before starting the rally!

Bernd likes to keep the actual agenda secretive to surprise me, and I enjoy the surprise too.
We'll be riding in Europe, so "alle ist gut"!  yahoooooooooo.

We start from Frankfurt. (We prefer back roads, & will mostly stay off of the Autobahns)..
May go as far west/north as Belguim to see Gee/Marc/Daan and other Eu's we met on the other rides.
  NOTE: Several of them rode with us at OtP, XIV and Alp's Rally #1,,,
Plan is Dunkirk, Dieppe, Normandy/Omaha Beach, and then probably ride thru Paris to the Rally start..
Plan was to stay one night in France at a special motorcycle Only Motel. {But Boomer sed it may now be closed}.
{Probably after the Rally} I think we'll see Ralf in Austria and Hans Peter in Switzerland, and ride a bit in those area's with them.

After the Rally,,, it's anyone's guess how we'll get back to Frankfurt..  >:D

I just sent him a note to send me/you the planned routes.

Talked to Doug and he has another route planned. May be picking up his bike at same place as you?
Fias, may also meet us..

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I really wish more COGgers were going with us..  :motonoises: