• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Announcing: Rolling Rally in the Alps II

I've been gathering things for the trip and packing for 2 weeks.
      But, everything I take, has to go on the bike
  After I get it all together, I then removed the non essentials, and downsized..
      Followed by changing my mind and adding it again.
        Mebbe you can help?

Being me, I have a lot that I think I have to take so I'm trying to get it right....
              Must haves; Camera, riding gear, moonshine, glasses, GPS, phone, beer, Texas Flag, Texas hat, Texas stickers, more riding gear, etc etc etc.

So, I'm down to what I think I have to take and 1 pair of pants, 1 shirt, 2 underwear, and 1 pair of socks...
  {May have to cull the 2 back to a 1}  :great:
        Thoughts??

Ride safe, Ted

Good Morning All, 7 days before we go and 14 days before the rally begins!! Woohoo! Looks like we will be staying in Northern Italy and riding the Dolomite passes for 4 days before the rally with maybe a day to Slovenia and Lake Bled mixed in!! We will be very experienced on our bikes by the time the Rally starts!  ;)

Most everyone in our group (5 crazy Californians) is packed though I have not started yet.  :-[ I know from participating in the rally in 2016 that less is more. I will have the quick dry underwear, shirts and pants that makes packing light pretty easy. All the motorcycle/camera stuff goes in my checked bag along with some other stuff and I try to keep that well under the 50 pound limit.  Pulling the suitcase out in the next couple of days! I have a little more riding to do here at home before I clean my over pants and mesh jacket and pack it.

It's going to be a great adventure with a bunch of fun people! Any suggestions on packing or anything else are always welcome!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

On our first trip, the Airline lost my wife's suitcase.  {With all her riding gear!} :mad:
  So , we bought/borrowed some before starting the ride.
    {Mucho thanks to Richard/Ria for their assistance!!}

Sooo, my "carry on" will include my helmet/boots/gloves/riding jacket!!  :Woot_Emoticon:

Ride safe, Ted

I suggest that you put all that gear into a "carry-on complaint" bag to be sure it will all fit. I know you're a pin-head but ... . :great:

Ranger Jim said:
I suggest that you put all that gear into a "carry-on complaint" bag to be sure it will all fit. I know you're a pin-head but ... . :great:

Checked and done {except riding jacket wouldn't fit/replaced with rain gear}...

Ride safe, Ted

I took out all armour from my riding jacket and pants, so they would fit in a suitcase easier. I stacked the armor so it packed better...

AmphibSailor said:
I took out all armour from my riding jacket and pants, so they would fit in a suitcase easier. I stacked the armor so it packed better...
Now that is a great tip! :great:

I bought some of the roll-able Vacuum Storage bags to reduce the size of my jacket etc....
No vacuum needed, just place the article inside and roll em'' flat to squeeze the air out.
  Worked so good I put everything in the bags..
Unfortunately {since I had room, I added a few "needs"}... and it now weighs about 100 lbs.  :sign0137: 
      But I got ta admit,,, everything is nice and compact.  :great:
            hmmmm, Guess I need to "cut back" on the gear (I think) I need? :smiley_confused1:

So, until departure, the "packing and unpacking" continue's...    :16:

Ride safe, Ted

Hi Ted, I think you leave tomorrow! Have a great trip and I will follow along! Our group from SoCal leaves Friday afternoon! I finished packing today and I think I did pretty well! Probably will take one last long look of what I am bringing too....Remember less is more! If you have 100 pounds of stuff I think you can leave some at home!  ;)

Safe travels!

Getting ready to head for the airport.
Solved my problem; As I'm adding a room to my home while packing, I mixed things up..
                                  Removed Hammer, nails, saw, and saw horse from my bag.
                                                  Alles ist gut!!  :great:

See ya there.

Ride safe, Ted

Yes! See you there!! Have a great time on your route!!

:motonoises:    :motonoises:    :great:

connie_rider said:
Getting ready to head for the airport.
Solved my problem; As I'm adding a room to my home while packing, I mixed things up..
                                  Removed Hammer, nails, saw, and saw horse from my bag.
                                                  Alles ist gut!!  :great:

See ya there.

Ride safe, Ted

I can't wait to hear about your adventure and see pics.  Have a fun trip and be safe. 

Irene

Hello All, Well the day has come!! WooHoo!! We have our bags packed and 5 crazy Southern Californians are flying out this afternoon to our destination in Munich Germany with another flying out early next week!! Be there tomorrow afternoon travel to Landshut and pick up rentals from a super shop Motorrad Maier! Stay the night and head to the Dolomites for some great riding before the rally starts in 7 days from today!! Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Rally Hotel in Zell am See on July 12th to get ready for the Alps 2 rally that starts the next day! It is going to be a blast!!

:motonoises:    :motonoises:    :great:

Returned home yesterday with 4 other Southern California riders! All I can say is this was a Great Rally! Kudos to Mika and anyone else on the planning team! Weather overall was super. Passes and points of interest were awesome! Our group spent 4 days in the Dolomites prior to the start of the rally and enjoyed ourselves immensely! Made some new friends while hanging out with old friends! Ate and drank a lot! Enjoyed the Locals! Try to get some pictures out in a link in the next few days! Spectacular Scenery! If you an opportunity to do a trip like this please do not hesitate! It is sooo worth it!!  We left on July 6th and returned July 23rd!

I arrived home last night.  Wow, what a trip.

Bernd/Anette had to force me to go to the airport.
    {They sed something about needing to go back to work and tired of feeding me?}  :??:

After we left the Rally we had 2 rainy days, but otherwise all was beautiful.
Last few days we rode Germany and went to see castles and visited/rode with other GCE friends.
Finished the trip with 5996 klms on the odometer of the little 600.. (I think that's about 3700 miles?)

If any of you get a chance to go to the Alps... "DO IT"!!!!

Ride safe, Ted   

connie_rider said:
I was browbeat so badly about not using Facebook, that I finally started.
Pic's are there.

Ted
Browbeat or Mustache beat?  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Which then explains the drop in stock prices. It was TED I tell ya!  :beerchug: ;)

Glad yer home safe Ted and gladder that ya had fun.
Wish I could have joined y'all in the Alps but too expensive for me.
Was great to finally meet up, albeit pretty briefly.

That was quite a shock when we met "Boomer".
I had given up that it would take place. Had no idea that you woul d meet us!
Thank you!!!

To those that don't know, Boomer's trip to the USA is what we used to develop "OtP"..
So we refer to him as "OtP 0"...
Guy Young was our first traveler and is "OtP 1".

We've been trying to meet for 17 years..

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Being computer illiterate, I wasn't able to attach photo's, so I sent some to Ron and begged him to post them for me.
      Hopefully they will be here soon.

Almost forgot; {to "the Boss"/Jaana, and Mika}
                        Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!
                      We really appreciate all the work "you" and Mika did!
                                                                  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

PS; Aww, I was just funnin'.
        Thanks Mika. You did good!!!

Ted will add captions and color commentary. (Welcome home Ted - I think.... :D  )

MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

Ted "the Great", in clever disguise at Gross Glockner (sp?) tourist store.
    {Yes, I bought the hat}...….

MGalleryItem.php

Ted "the Great"  near edge of road in the Mountains.
    Yes, no guardrail. Note lower roads below...

MGalleryItem.php

Ted "the Great" with other COGgers at top of Gross Glockner (sp?).
  Note: Texas flag and COG sticker on the sign.

MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

Ted "the Great" at the edge of another Mountain Pass road with no guardrail.
    NOTE: More mountain roads below and great scenery.
      Ignore: Wet spot on the ground.

MGalleryItem.php

Ted "the Great" and Russ "the Magnificent" at Passo Stelvio.
  NOTE: Texas stickers on sign post from our 2016 trip and this 2018 trip.
                  Important, COG sticker was also added.
            Also note that there are a few more twisty roads and switchbacks waiting for us to ride down (and back up)..
            PS: The next sign (behind photographer) had a COG sticker on it that Mark and Dan had placed during their 2017 "Over the Pond" ride.

You mostly see Attila, with Rob and Prostur in front of him. I took videos of a few other passes, but realized too late that I should not have used my waterproof housing on the camera as it produced a glare and fogged up going up near the top of Stelvio and in Grossglockner; so the quality is not as sharp as would have been otherwise. :-[  I do have some other segments that turned out, but haven't tried to post them yet.

Well it has been a month since the Rally ended! I still miss the great fun we had before, during and after the Rally! Still trying to get used to the local awesome roads here in Southern California! The roads in the Alps are like nothing you will see here in the states. That is not a knock on our roads because we have some unbelievable roads that I have been lucky to ride here....it is just different! If you have a chance to visit the Alps please do!! You will enjoy it sooo much!!

I still want to see a video from Jack or Throstur going "up" Stelvio or other similar.
Yoo hoo,,,,, jack are ya'll out there?  <evil grin>

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
MGalleryItem.php

Ted "the Great", in clever disguise at Gross Glockner (sp?) tourist store.
    {Yes, I bought the hat}...….

MGalleryItem.php

Ted "the Great"  near edge of road in the Mountains.
    Yes, no guardrail. Note lower roads below...

Oh my... this was running around Europe loose? with NO muzzle?  ;)
Sounds like you had a blast Ted!

Oh my... this was running around Europe loose? with NO muzzle?  ;)
Sounds like you had a blast Ted!

Yupp, I wuz loose with No Muzzle and little supervision.

I had a blast, and I did it flogging a poor little Honda 600.
            Loved the little/light bike!

NOTE: Some folks felt bad for me on the little bike, and would ask why I didn't have a bigger bike.
              I told them I didn't need a bigger bike. 
                    I sed I had an advantage over the guys, and had to give them a edge.
  Of course, {they would step right into my evil plan},, and ask "what was my advantage".. >:D

I always replied;  [size=14pt]{My advantage is} "I'm from TeXaS"...  :13:

[/size]Ya'll shoulda gone!!!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I never lie. I just enhance the truth... :hee20hee20hee:

Been just over 2 months from the end of great Rolling Rally in the Alps! Great experience!! Wish all that went a very happy day!! Time to check the Alps pictures again!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :beerchug: