• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Brake Lights

Amotek

Lowered the rear brake pedal and decided to check brake light function. They didn't work, the bulbs look good and neither the front brakes or rear brake being actuated will cause the brake lights to come on. Is there a fuse that is the culprit?

I'd check the fuses before moving on to the next step. there are front and rear brake switches that can go bad, but it would be very unusual that both switches would go bad at the same time. did you have to disconnect any wiring to do your modification? If so I'd check those connections first to be sure they're secured.

No , it's not a fuse problem.    :'(    Didn't do anything to the rear brake light switch just did the mod to lower the pedal.

Check to see if you have power at the conections under/behind the seat.  I had a n intermitent tail light and it was in those conections.

Yeppir, The tail light lights up fine! There are two plugs behind the seat, one to the license plate light and one to the tail light, which has three wires, red, blue and black with yellow stripe.  Pretty strange that neithe brake switch works and/or that both bulbs are fubared, though they look fine.

Amotek said:
Yeppir, The tail light lights up fine! There are two plugs behind the seat, one to the license plate light and one to the tail light, which has three wires, red, blue and black with yellow stripe.  Pretty strange that neithe brake switch works and/or that both bulbs are fubared, though they look fine. Think I'll run into town and grab a couple of 2357s to replace the 1157s.

The tail light and the horn/stop circuits are on different fuses. So just because your tail lights work, doesn't mean your brake lights will work. Press the horn button. Does the horn work? the brake lights and horn are on the same power circuit. If the horn works, maybe bad bulbs. If the horn don't work, you probably have a power problem. Again, check the 10amp horn/brake light fuse. Remember it's separate from the tail light fuse.

Did the pedal move actually make the rear brake stay on all the time now so hitting the front does nothing?  Make sure the rear switch is adjusted right.

As snowlover has pointed out. Are your sure that your brake light isn't on all the time?

If neither brake light switch is working an you have power to the horn. Well it is more likely that you have a bad connection. (unless of course you have two bad brake light switches. But what are the odds?
    The blue wire is your brake light +12 volt wire. Black and yellow is the ground or -12volt wire. Red should be your tail/running light + wire.  More than likely you have a bad connector. There should be two connectors back by the tail light. (which you already have found) One for the tail light and one for the licence plate light. (again as you already know) But there should be another connector, connecting that rear section (tail light, directionals, licence plate) from the wiring harness. But to be honest, I don't know or at least don't remember where it actually is. Maybe someone will pop on and let you know exactly where it is.
  A multimeter or test light would be helpful here to see if you have +12volts going to the blue wire/connector/tail light when the brake light switches are on. But hey, although unlikely, may two bad bulbs.  :)

An easy way to tell if it's on, if you're standing at the front of the bike and can tell that the light is on, then your brake lights are active. I would say that, unless you adjusted the rear switch after adjusting the pedal, your B.L.s are on. Try unplugging the rear switch and then see if the front brake activates the light. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to check it this way (including removing the side panel).

6 you hit it on the nose. Took the lens off again when I put in the new bulbs and turned on the light and could see both filaments were lit. I then snapped that it had to be the rear brake switch, unplugged it and the secondary filaments went out, ht the front brake and they came on. Needed to adjust the rear switch in to make contact with the brake lever. It's working now, Thanks to All and the COG just flat ROCKS!  :)) :)) :))

6 Riders said:
An easy way to tell if it's on, if you're standing at the front of the bike and can tell that the light is on, then your brake lights are active. I would say that, unless you adjusted the rear switch after adjusting the pedal, your B.L.s are on. Try unplugging the rear switch and then see if the front brake activates the light. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to check it this way (including removing the side panel).

My Brake light was on full time this morning. Had to go to work so I just rode her that way. Got home and did a quick search to help me figure out why.
Thanks 6er, the brake switch adjust worked for me too.