• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C10 Backrest - Pics

emeofficer8054

Evening all,

Looks like the chance of finding a passenger backrest for my 2005 C10 are slim to none.....could I ask a favour? Could someone post the pics of one? showing how its mounted ? Looks like my fabrication skills need to be put to the test!

Thanks

Here you go
IMG_20230726_170854_345.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230726_170916_907.jpg
    IMG_20230726_170916_907.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20230726_170928_544.jpg
    IMG_20230726_170928_544.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 87
Evening all,

Looks like the chance of finding a passenger backrest for my 2005 C10 are slim to none.....could I ask a favour? Could someone post the pics of one? showing how its mounted ? Looks like my fabrication skills need to be put to the test!

Thanks
Haven't seen it done but if you remove the cover on the little factory rack you could probably fabricate some kind of backrest that would attatch where the little rack mounts .

Haven't seen it done but if you remove the cover on the little factory rack you could probably fabricate some kind of backrest that would attatch where the little rack mounts .
Cheers, from what I've read the bolts will pull through as they a re only mounted in plastic.....yet to be confirmed!

My 54 liter Givi back case mounts to the 4 tapped holes - those have taken a lot of punishment as the Givi hangs mostly unsupported by anything else than those 4 bolts. The weight limit on the back plate is very low - I've exceeded it without any problems so far. The factory back rest that attached to the back rack was attractive and functional. Even back in the day those racks/backrests weren't all that easy to find.

My 54 liter Givi back case mounts to the 4 tapped holes - those have taken a lot of punishment as the Givi hangs mostly unsupported by anything else than those 4 bolts. The weight limit on the back plate is very low - I've exceeded it without any problems so far. The factory back rest that attached to the back rack was attractive and functional. Even back in the day those racks/backrests weren't all that easy to find.
Thanks for letting me know about the Givi, would you happen to know what factory mounting rack number you have ? Is it an E128 monolock? seems those are discontinued too. Or did you just drill holes in the case to match?

I've got the monolock. When I bought it 2013? there was a mount for the C-10. I didn't have to drill any holes. I've never trusted the setup though - too much play. I also installed a rack on top of the Givi case where I strap a Chase Harper bag. I only put things in the top case that I can afford to lose on the road. It has always hung on there despite the play. Hope this helps...
givi rack 1 001.jpg

I've got the monolock. When I bought it 2013? there was a mount for the C-10. I didn't have to drill any holes. I've never trusted the setup though - too much play. I also installed a rack on top of the Givi case where I strap a Chase Harper bag. I only put things in the top case that I can afford to lose on the road. It has always hung on there despite the play. Hope this helps...
View attachment 36512
Thanks for the info, sadly cant find one of these mounts anywhere....I guess Givi thru in the towel on the C10

Here the specs on the universal mount I have. The bolts mount thru any of the holes.

My buddy had it mounted on his c14 and didn't like the flex with it, so he got a rack from phils racks. Gave me his extra stuff when he sold the c14.

Attachments

• 16905526653175741816124083758197.jpg
    16905526653175741816124083758197.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 16905526902811702777544349852975.jpg
    16905526902811702777544349852975.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 16905527099207560183409706064271.jpg
    16905527099207560183409706064271.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 16905527426081449728046982002536.jpg
    16905527426081449728046982002536.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 16905527633657498331917912138364.jpg
    16905527633657498331917912138364.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 50
Here the specs on the universal mount I have. The bolts mount thru any of the holes.

My buddy had it mounted on his c14 and didn't like the flex with it, so he got a rack from phils racks. Gave me his extra stuff when he sold the c14.

I have the same Givi rack on my C10. But it also came with a metal Givi plate that mounts under this one. It’s pretty solid

I bought another one of these units from a former COGer, he sent pictures showing how he had it mounted on his C10. He had a couple couple of square metal tubes bolted the bike with this unit on top of it. It “looked” pretty solid
If I can find that picture I’ll post it here

Well I think back on my set up on my c10 it was just like greenness official givi diagram. I can remember the offsets under the solid place and the joy of tightening down the top plate on the solid one with the square washers bolts..

I might be overthinking the play in the Givi top case; maybe that play is like the wingtips of some commercial jets in flight. Proof of the design for me is over 20,000 miles of Mexican roads (6 trips) with the Givi top case still hanging in there. Attempts to brace the rear of the top case to reduce play would most likely transfer stress to a place it isn't designed to handle it. The 7 pound weight limit on the rear plate is hard to understand though.

On the factory backrest care should be used in tightening the castings that clamp on to the motorcycle. That casting can break if tightened unevenly or too much.

Another possibility...some Corbin seats have provision for using the Corbin backrest.
I believe the Corbin backrests will fit any Corbin seat with the backrest mount, so if you can find a Corbin seat with the backrest provision, you will be able to get a matching backrest.

I got what bowtie has but a different pad from a company I can't remember, they were in CA? Offered 3 different sizes. J&R rack was brilliant, a cantilevered design that was quite strong. Get one if you find one. Kawasaki also made a 3-piece bar that bolted to the side grab rails I used when I did not have the J&R rack on. Those are nice too, get one if you find one.

That's an OEM piece that's not the easiest thing to find. Post a wanted ad in the classified section and pray.

Another possibility...some Corbin seats have provision for using the Corbin backrest.
I believe the Corbin backrests will fit any Corbin seat with the backrest mount, so if you can find a Corbin seat with the backrest provision, you will be able to get a matching backrest.
Yes, just about every Corbin seat I'm aware of used the standard square bar backrest mount that they still sell. I think there may be a few oddball ones from the early days, but it's been a standard system for a long time, and the backrests they sell now should fit anything with the square receiver.

I found a complete used one on eBay a couple months ago. The tough part is setting up the search notifications with the right part no or name, as sellers aren't great about listing them correctly.

The factory accessory backrest and luggage rack was sold as an assembly with three part numbers. The mounting kit was the loop that clamps to the grab handles, and the backrest and luggage rack mount to that and can be used independently or together. If you have the mounting kit, you could use a more generic backrest pad with it.

Here's the part numbers I've found:
Mounting kit: K53021-083A
Backrest: K53043-052 (052 matches the 86-93 seat cover and 052A matches the 94-06 seat cover, but both are otherwise dimensionally the same)
Luggage rack: K53020-083A

There is a mounting kit on eBay now, but it's not clear from the photos of the bottom half of the clamps are still with it:

Last edited:
Seth, it does not look like the bottom clamps are included.
My recollection is that the bottom clamps are what would break more frequently, but someone with the right tools might be able to replicate them since they are comparatively simple.

Seth, it does not look like the bottom clamps are included.
My recollection is that the bottom clamps are what would break more frequently, but someone with the right tools might be able to replicate them since they are comparatively simple.
That's a good observation. Perhaps this listing is one that someone used the clamps from.

Yeah, you could even cut and file the bottom clamps from solid aluminum stock by hand if you were patient.

Note that the clamps on each side are not the same, though. They're the same size and outline shape, but the diamond notch that fits around the grab rail is at a slight angle to the clamps, since the grab rail is at a slight angle relative to the center of the bike. I believe it is a mirror of the notch in the upper bracket, though, so if you were missing just the clamps, you could make them using the top bracket as a pattern.

Last edited:
View attachment 36512
Sir do you know the part number for this mounting bracket? I need those two pieces right there for my trunk so badly lol

I still have the Givi box it came in... E128 EANN 13 (guessing that was a date code) and 11346 Kawasaki GTR 1000 GIVI E128 is the part you want to search for - nothing on evilbay I could see now but maybe if you save it as a search on EBay one might show up on occasion.

I'm not so sure everything you will need is in that universal fit system.
If you go back to post #11 (above) the plate I speak of is #1.
There is a Givi steel plate that attaches to the rear mounting surface with 4 holes that correspond with four tapped holes on the bike when the original plate is removed. It's held higher by 4 1/2" spacers and then the universal fit kit attaches to that. Maybe the universal fit kit attaches to the original steel rack - I'm not sure how it would though. Clicking on the link provides no additional information.

It's been some time since I mounted a trunk on my C-10.
I think I was able to attach the Universal Mount directly to the bike.
ie; I used the 4 holes that holds the stock Connie plate on the bike.
I removed the stock plate, and used washers as spacers.
NOTE: I used more washers at the back to level the Universal mount.

Ride safe, Ted

Yes, you need something to space the trunk baseplate up above the factory mounting bolts on the rear subframe. There are a variety of homebrew ways to do it.

One of the more elegant ways is to bend (or weld) some flat plate into a Z shape brackets, which are bolted down to the factory holes, with the trunk baseplate mounted onto it.

Here's photos of Z brackets that Murph used to sell for Shad brackets. If you have a bench vise, cutting tool, and drill you could make these from some plain steel or aluminum. https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/trunk-bracket-search.56866/