• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Clock resetting on its own

bobct

Hi, before I go chasing this electrical problem, in my last couple of rides I noticed at some point in the ride that the clock had reset back to 1:00 or 12:00 like when you disconnect the battery. I didnt notice any interupption in engine power on the rides. It did it once when parked and I came back to the bike to look at the time. Not totally sure that it didnt do it while I was riding.
Has anybody else had this problem and found a solution. I am thinking a faulty connection in the power going to it.

I had that problem, someone on here pointed out it was blown fuse.

I can't remember exactly which fuse, "accessory" maybe.....

Check the fuses. There are 2 circuits that feed power to the clock. Sounds like the one that is on all the time is blown.

Thanks for the replies. I did a search and found that it maybe fuse 1.
When I get a chance I will check that fuse and its connection.
https://forum.concours.org/index.ph...-power-with-ignition-off-solved-thanks.25390/
It is weird that it keeps time when it is not running.

Yeah, that is weird. I didn't catch that when I first read your post.
My problem was different. The clock kept resetting any time the bike was turned off / it did NOT keep time while bike was turned off.
It kept good time while the bike was running.

The contacts in the connectors can oxidize and become intermittent.
I spray em with wd40 or electrical contact cleaner and re-seat em couple times. it usually helps.
Best Regards
Bob

It was certainly the accessory fuse, or it's connection. That fuse maintains the clocks memory when the ignition is off.

fuses-S.jpg

Haven't chased it down yet, thank you all for the feedback.

The weird thing is that it maintains time when the bike is off, from what I can tell it usually resets to 1:00 while riding. I do not think it happens right when the bike is keyed on. I am not used to looking at the clock at all unless I have to be somewhere at a certain time and then it is still not part of my start up routine. But I have been looking at it while it is sitting in the garage and it is keeping time when the bike is off.

I am no expert with electrical but from what I see in the schematic I don't see a "change-over" dropping the power source that maintains the time when you turn on the ignition switch, maybe in the j-box. Although somehow the clock gets triggered to allow you to set the time when the bike is keyed on. So I may be dropping that (bike on) power feed intermittently because it does keep time starting after the 1:00 reset time; ex. at the end of the ride it may have 1:45 on the clock. And it doesn't do it on every ride.

I will post if I figure it out but cleaning and resetting multiple connnections to fix an intermittent problem may not show what the root cause was if it gets fixed unless I find a probable connection problem. I will start at the fuse panel and clean all the fuse connections and reseat all the wire connectors as a preventative action as it has been years since I cleaned them while upgrading and reflowing the solder points.

Haven't chased it down yet, thank you all for the feedback.

The weird thing is that it maintains time when the bike is off, from what I can tell it usually resets to 1:00 while riding. I do not think it happens right when the bike is keyed on. I am not used to looking at the clock at all unless I have to be somewhere at a certain time and then it is still not part of my start up routine. But I have been looking at it while it is sitting in the garage and it is keeping time when the bike is off.

I am no expert with electrical but from what I see in the schematic I don't see a "change-over" dropping the power source that maintains the time when you turn on the ignition switch, maybe in the j-box. Although somehow the clock gets triggered to allow you to set the time when the bike is keyed on. So I may be dropping that (bike on) power feed intermittently because it does keep time starting after the 1:00 reset time; ex. at the end of the ride it may have 1:45 on the clock. And it doesn't do it on every ride.

I will post if I figure it out but cleaning and resetting multiple connnections to fix an intermittent problem may not show what the root cause was if it gets fixed unless I find a probable connection problem. I will start at the fuse panel and clean all the fuse connections and reseat all the wire connectors as a preventative action as it has been years since I cleaned them while upgrading and reflowing the solder points.

I assume you have either had your Jbox refurbed or did it yourself at some point ? Sounds like one of those strange Jbox problems .

I assume you have either had your Jbox refurbed or did it yourself at some point ? Sounds like one of those strange Jbox problems .
When I bought the bike 15 or so years ago, the PO gave me the receipts, one of which was a new Jbox. Probably about 5 years ago as preventative maintenance I pulled the jbox and had my electronics guru buddy put in the higher capacity/reliable relays and re flowed all the solder connections.

As I said before it is not high on my have to do list but this weekend I may take a closer look at the clock wiring and pull the Jbox and pull all the fuses and clean the fuses contact points and the wiring junctions into the jbox plugs and sockets. I looked at the wiring schematic in the manual and it is hard for me to determine the trigger for when the clock goes from bike not on, with power to bike running power with the ability to set the time, or if it even does cut the bike off power to the clock when the bike is on.
The last two days of riding and the clock kept time.
Those dam electron gremlins running through the wiring. diverting or cutting the flow intermittently always get you, at least there not cutting any real necessary power to keep me from riding, lol.