• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dog Days, down & dirty

gsjay

Ok guys....

We're returning to the Marlinton Motor Inn in Marlinton Wv in August 2012 for another Dog Days weekend!

Format is going to be simple and cheap! Details to appear on the calendar of events soon!

Dates are Aug 9th -12th, 2012

Mark your calendar.

Goat Path Pat Sprauge & Back Road Kurt Nordstorm are working on both paved and unpaved routes and will have both paper and GPS files avaliable.

Next years riding schedule is coming together nicely.

See you soon,
Jason
COG #62

What happened to the Boyer campground? There were rumors that it was going to change hands, shutdown, etc....

gMitch said:
What happened to the Boyer campground? There were rumors that it was going to change hands, shutdown, etc....

The stability of Boyer is an unknown quantity at this time, and we can not put our eggs in that basket.

Jessirr, boys n gurls, as Jason said, coming together niecly.

Back to the Mountain State at a nice venue and great riding in ALL directions. I'll be over there early that week if anyone has more time and would like to sample some roads.

There will also likely be some "route proofing" going on in the spring. Will post such stuff here for those interested in joining in.  ;D

The first dog days I went to was in Marlington. Rode in with my wife on the back and she had a cast from her knee to her toes where she had dropped her bike and it landed on her foot.  :-[

(WV) Dog Days Weekend Down & Dirty
COG NE returns to Marlinton Motor Inn in Marlinton WV to escape the dog dogs of summer in the cooler WV mountains the weekend of AUG 9-12.

The Marlinton Motor Inn is on route 219 just north of Marlinton WV. They have a restaurant & lounge on site and have a very nice outdoor pool. There is a convenience store next door where adult beverages and fuel are available. Town is just a short ride south with more shopping opportunities.

50 rooms are blocked at the Marlinton Motor Inn for Concours Owners Group (COG). Room rate is $69.95 includes tax, 2 people. Rooms will be held until July 23rd then released. Call for reservations 304 799 4711 or 800 354 0821

We plan to have a campfire unless there is a burn ban in effect due to dry weather.

Local Tourist info: www.pocahontascountywv.com

Local motorcycle ride routes: www.pocahontascountywv.com/motorcycle_touring.aspx

Nearest Campground:  www.watoga.com

S Smith said:
gMitch said:

The stability of Boyer is an unknown quantity at this time, and we can not put our eggs in that basket.

To all,

I attempted to organize / do the Boyer thing for 2012.  After talking with the facility, finding out it's up for sale, no restaurant facility in 2012, the gas station/store/restaurant across the street is for sale (both are owned by the same family, brother & sister).  Frank that owns Boyer is very sick, it is too much for the rest of the family to operate.  Even with all the negatives I booked the standard 2nd week in August for an event.

I sent information to Steve to post on the calendar only to find out others were working on a regional rally in WV, after discussing all the options with everyone, it made sence to have the Down & Dirty in Marlinton.  Sorry it didn't work out, iIf Boyer does happen to get purchased and the facility gets updated we will then re-think that area for a future event.

BUT the good news..........I was in Marlinton back in the 1st week of June with 139 ADV Riders, we had a great time, the hotel was great, the police (both local & state) and mayor made special stops each night to make sure we were having a good time and that no one was borthering us. 

WV is looking for tourism to keep their economy going, when we are there everyone should support the town and restaurants, BTW there is beer right next door  :beerchug:

connieklr said:
I'll have to see if I can get off......................    :))

Hmmmmmmmmm, not sure you will have been in business long enough to have any leave built up, Moma might let you off with leave without pay  :D :D :D

Has anyone other than Pat tried to book a room?

If you have or when you do, let us know if everything went smoothly............

Always good to know if the property has everything set up correctly.

BOOK THOSE ROOMS!

Jason

I booked mine. No problem, but the desk person had to put me on hold to find out what the heck I was talking about. When she came back on the line, she had all the information.

Vacation time scheduled, route made and transferred to GPS.

Check, check, check.

COME ONNNNNNNN Summer

Yes, bumpety bump!

I'm finishing up four dual sport routes for this event now. Great roads, just need riders!  ;)

Three of us were over in WV last Saturday on dirt roads-----58 F in the Mountain State in January!-----Saw no other bikes, just deer hunters and trout fishermen. It's snowing here now, man, that window closed quickly, but it won't be long before it's open again.

Book your room!  :motonoises:

I might try to make this event after all. Things are not working out this year as i was hoping already. Plans may be changing already! But this may be something good comeing out of something bad.  :mad:

I just checked in at the Marlinton Motor Inn and so far only 7 rooms have been booked out of our block.

I know it's early but it's time to start getting your riding plans in order for the new year! My Calendar if filling up fast, how about yours?

So, lets BOOK THOSE ROOMS!

jason

I booked already. So I must be one of the seven. ::)    Although it's not definite that I can make it yet. But it's looking good.  :)

Cap'n Bob said:
I booked already. So I must be one of the seven. ::)    Although it's not definite that I can make it yet. But it's looking good.  :)

Me too, got my confirmation number email and all. Unless my bike is down, I'll be there.

While you guys are dual-sporting, I'll be zoom zooming around on the fine asphalt in the region.  :)

Online registration is OPEN....................

No i haven't registered yet! I'm not working right now so I'm conserving cash. But I'll be there! 

BOOK THOSE ROOMS & get Registered!

jason

Johnnylunchbox......................
Long time no post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see you are still upright and typing.

Looking forward to seeing you and Sue.

Jason

klrider said:
Yes, bumpety bump!

I'm finishing up four dual sport routes for this event now. Great roads, just need riders!  ;)

Three of us were over in WV last Saturday on dirt roads-----58 F in the Mountain State in January!-----Saw no other bikes, just deer hunters and trout fishermen. It's snowing here now, man, that window closed quickly, but it won't be long before it's open again.

Book your room!  :motonoises:
Pat,
Now that my hips are fixed up I mught just be ready for some Dual Sporting on the GS!

No water crossing though as my legs are still SHORT and the GS is still heavy!

Book Those Rooms.

Jason

Sue and I are in  ;D ;D

Room booked and registration fees are paid

We're looking forward to some asphalt surfing and DS riding, it just don't get any better than the mountains of WV.

Now that my daughter wedding is behind me I can really concentrate on the route sheets for the asphalt surfers.

I'll likely be going over to the Marlinton area the weekend of April 28 to proof some ds routes, unless a frog strangler is predicted. Anyone wanting to ride over there that weekend, please stay tuned.  ;D

Guys n gurls,

I will be over near Marlinton, WV on Friday 27 April 2012 for the weekend, scouting roads for the COG Dog Days Down & Dirty rally.

For the weekend of 27-29 April I'll be camped at the Riverside Campground at Watoga State Park, just south of Marlinton.  http://www.watoga.com/
Hoping that this very nice but quite unseasonable weather continues.

Of course, will also be scouting out some nice restaurants for lunch and one day the riding will definitely be west of the Droop mountain area. Much to see and do and great riding in the Mountain State. Hope that some of you can join me in April.

Best rides,

Pat

Mmmmmm, might be able to make it .......................... depending on when our new grand daughter is born, she is due on the 15th.  If she hasn't come into this world by the week of the 23rd Sue isn't going to let me out of the house  :( :(  Hopefully though juniorette will have been hatched by then and I'll be  :motonoises:

Might give me a good excuse to try out my new tent before Willville in the fall.  ;D ;D

kwn306 said:
.....Might give me a good excuse to try out my new tent before Willville in the fall.  ;D ;D

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
TENT?  TENT?bwaaaahaaaaaaaaa
when exactly WAS the last time you slept in one of those?????????

MAN OF BLUES said:
kwn306 said:
.....Might give me a good excuse to try out my new tent before Willville in the fall.  ;D ;D

TENT?  TENT?bwaaaahaaaaaaaaa
when exactly WAS the last time you slept in one of those?????????

Willville in 2009................. :p :p :p  I could pull down the land yacht and sleep next door in the RV campground though  :) :) :)

Wow, sounds great, Kurt!

Can you make coffee in that land yacht?

And can we park our bikes under the awning??  ;)

Cool! Sounds like we have another CSV (COG Support Vehicle) here!  8)

Ok, it's almost May..........

I just registered Joanne & myself for the Dog Days rally.

$20.00, what a deal!

I also just called the Marlinton Motor Inn to check on rooms. We only have 12 rooms booked as of today!
Lets go guys, time to BOOK THOSE ROOMS!

You know you're coming so why wait? Call today 1 304 799 4711

See you soon,
Jason

We had a great weekend over in WV, scouting some ds roads for the Dog Days. Paul Vangellow, Trevor Angel, and I left OWO Friday afternoon for Watoga SP and met Andy Martin over there. A very nice Friday afternoon, Andy already had a lodge room at Watoga, the remaining three musketeers stayed at a cabin there. Very nice! I can see why they book up a year in advance after Memorial Day.  8)

With the forecast of rain we left the tents at home. The weatherman wasn't wrong, this time.
Saturday AM we rode the 14 or so miles down to Marlinton for brekkie at the Riverside (?) restaurant and had a great feed. All the better as the rain poured down outside, so we supped more java. A big canoe/bicycle event was going down the same day and the town was crowded, but no fears, there was plenty of food and pretty quick service. They postponed the canoe start because of lightning over the river. No sense of adventure, eh?

After wiping down the bikes (I was surrounded by three Super Teneres, but the Tiger prevailed), we headed back towards Watoga to do my south to west route.

Very small, tight paved roads more or less followed the Greenbrier River southward. Traffic on this road was ZERO. We crossed over at Renick at took a dirt road over to Richwood, then proceded on Route 20 to our turn to the Williams River road. Very scenic, even in the rain. It turned into almost a frog strangler before we got back to Edray and the Marlinton Inn, where we had a great supper. Friendly, fast service, and delicious.

Back to Watoga, but first, Trevor even managed to find whipping cream in Marlinton. After getting a nice fire going in the fireplace, there was even a whisk(!) in the cabin, and we had Irish coffees to celebrate our day.  :beerchug:

This route will be one of the four on the Dog Days ds routes. The other three I'm quite familiar with but may have to check them out once more.  ;)

The ride back to VA on Sunday was under pristine blue skies, sunshine, clean roads, and over some favourite back roads. Sweet!

So, everyone please just register (costs less than a tank of gas!) an book those rooms, so Jason can kick back and relax a tad.  It's almost MAY already!! 8)

Pat

OK, I double checked my reservations and finally registered for the event. I will probably make a week out of it and hit Virginia for a few days on the way down. Anyway, are there routes already in the library from Marlington, or will there be? I do not plan on putting them off until the last minute like I did for the spring fling last weekend.  :))

First things first, I asked for the time off from work.  Next I have to reserve a room.  Looks like I'll be there.

Cap'n Bob said:
OK, I double checked my reservations and finally registered for the event. I will probably make a week out of it and hit Virginia for a few days on the way down. Anyway, are there routes already in the library from Marlington, or will there be? I do not plan on putting them off until the last minute like I did for the spring fling last weekend.  :))

There are routes in the library for Boyer Wv. These would be a good place to start. Pat Sprague was working on some new routes that may appear soon.
jason

Myself and Mr. Lunchbox are registered and reserved a room for Thur & Fri night.  I was actually glad to see there was no group dinner.  That will allow us to leave on Saturday and take two days to get back to NY.  If there was a dinner I would have felt obligated to stay and we would have been in more of a rush to get home on Sunday.

Also, there were no issues making the reservation, they held the special room rate even though we only booked two nights. 

I think we are going to extend our trip down there and leave early in the week.  Time to start figuring things out.

BMW SUE said:

Now that you have a new motor I think it is time for you to change your screen name from BMW SUE.  How about SUZI SUZUKI  or SUZUKI SUE instead?  :)

Mike - You are absolutely right.  I have been meaning to change the user name.  So here is it.  I am now Sue Zookey.

Thanks for the reminder.

SUE Zookey said:
Mike - You are absolutely right.  I have been meaning to change the user name.  So here is it.  I am now Sue Zookey.

Thanks for the reminder.
  :bravo_2:  8)
Just goes to show why you are in Advertising and I'm not.  Your choice of name is better than anything I suggested by a lot.

Okay i'm registered just need to get the room locked on.  How can you pass up ridng in West by God Virginia?!?  Plus I haven't had my annual ration of abuse from Jay regarding my past riding indiscretions! ;)

i was just down in the area over the weekend, lots of new pavement on 219  and all of the other roads we rode on were in excellant shape ( gotta love a mild winter )  went by the hotel must have been another group there lots bikes in the parking lot, excellant area for riding, if you have been here you know what i am talking about if not you need to make this weekender  :motonoises:  see yinz all soon.

Good to know re: new pavement. Should be some good riding. Anyone going to post gps routes?

I am guessing I will arrive at the Marlinton Motor Inn sometime mid-afternoon on Thursday 9 August, and will roll out Sunday morning.

That should be enough time to explore.  :motonoises:

I booked my room today,  will have to get in Wed (can't get any more time off ;(  even though I'd LOVE to make a week out of it :) )

Joe_Cyprych_PA said:
i was just down in the area over the weekend, lots of new pavement on 219  and all of the other roads we rode on were in excellant shape ( gotta love a mild winter )  went by the hotel must have been another group there lots bikes in the parking lot, excellant area for riding, if you have been here you know what i am talking about if not you need to make this weekender  :motonoises:  see yinz all soon.

Thank you Sen Byrd!!! :)

When you are there, make sure you check out "Smoke Hole Road"    I prefer it to the Dragon :)

Smoke Hole Road is indeed a great peice of pavement!

I also enjoy Back Mountain Road and Snow Mtn. Road.

So many roads, so little vacation time.

BOOK THOSE ROOMS!
jason

Well I've never been to WV but I got the time off and booked my room so I'm all set.  Now I can't wait till August.

Gigantor said:
Well I've never been to WV but I got the time off and booked my room so I'm all set.  Now I can't wait till August.

Boy, are you in for a treat, road-wise.

the wife and I are kicking this rally around.  By August I should be fully recovered from my colon surgery two weeks ago, my vacation renews on Aug 7th and we have been to three DD rallies in the past and love the area.  The first one was at Marlington, the other two at Boyer Station.

I will know for sure in July and hopefully my son can ride up with us.

COGnosticat0r said:
the wife and I are kicking this rally around.  By August I should be fully recovered from my colon surgery two weeks ago, my vacation renews on Aug 7th and we have been to three DD rallies in the past and love the area.  The first one was at Marlington, the other two at Boyer Station.

I will know for sure in July and hopefully my son can ride up with us.

I care more about your health and recovery than I do about you attending, but if you feel healthy and the doctor agrees, then I feel very happy if you can attend.  :)

JR said:
I care more about your health and recovery than I do about you attending, but if you feel healthy and the doctor agrees, then I feel very happy if you can attend.  :)

Thanks JR, the Dr told me 4-6 weeks before I could ride, by the DD rally it will have been 11 weeks so I should be more than ready but there will be another ride or two before DD just to make sure  :motonoises:

COGnosticat0r said:
JR said:

Thanks JR, the Dr told me 4-6 weeks before I could ride, by the DD rally it will have been 11 weeks so I should be more than ready but there will be another ride or two before DD just to make sure  :motonoises:

Excellant plan!

I go to VA Medical Center this afternoon to get steroid shots in my knee sockets. Which is actually good being so close to riding to the National, my legs and back (it affects more than the knees) will be feeling good. The Chief of Orthopedic surgery wants to replace both knees but I'm holding them off until November so I don't miss any more riding.

So I feel for you, already know what its going to be like, a friend did it too.

Anyway, glad your recovery is going well, and if the test rides work out, come say hi to the beat up old vet who walks with a cane and has a handicapped license plate on his Connie.

I've told Blaise he needs to get to this- not a bad ride from Durham, NC and I think he'll love the rides and have a blast with the people attending.  :beerchug:

Marlinton, WV is close enough to that members in the Southeast and North Central COG areas can get there in a one day ride.  This a great, low cost event.  As Chris points out, the riding there is awesome.

What Steve said!

And, the reason we named this Dog Days is for the cooler temps up in the Mountain State.
:great:

Cool temps, cool riding.  :motonoises:

Hope to see a bunch of you there!!

Pat

Still going, afaik, still have room reservation, etc. Got to get through Kalyumet 13-15 July, National Road 27-29 July, first.

Hoping to attend this, anyone looking for a roommate? I'm living in NC now, and would love to plan a trip that includes the BRP and Skyline Dr. Not sure about time off, but I do have days left and should be able to get the days in August.

BBroj said:
Hoping to attend this, anyone looking for a roommate? I'm living in NC now, and would love to plan a trip that includes the BRP and Skyline Dr. Not sure about time off, but I do have days left and should be able to get the days in August.

I'd recommend skipping Skyline Drive.  Why pay to ride a road in Virginia when you can be using that time to enjoy the country roads of West Virginia?  In my opinion the views on Skyline Drive are not as nice as the BRP and the lower speed limit makes for a long ride. 

Btw, they very actively enforce the 35 MPH speed limit in Shenandoah National Park as I found out on my ride home from Arkansas.
:-[

I know Pat has got so awesome dual sport routes laid out for those that like the path less traveled.  :)

Sue and I on the other hand are putting the finishing touches on the asphalt surfing routes, should have 3 to 4 ready within two weeks.  I guarantee no chicken strips will be left on your tires, if there are chicken strips left you have been drinking too much beer in the parking lot  :beerchug:

kwn306 said:
I know Pat has got so awesome dual sport routes laid out for those that like the path less traveled.  :)

Sue and I on the other hand are putting the finishing touches on the asphalt surfing routes, should have 3 to 4 ready within two weeks.  I guarantee no chicken strips will be left on your tires, if there are chicken strips left you have been drinking too much beer in the parking lot  :beerchug:

Great! Where will I be able to download these routes from please?

Well, we could send them to Steve to throw out on the library or if you are Garmin equipped I will be able to load on site.....at least the asphalt routes.

kwn306 said:
Well, we could send them to Steve to throw out on the library or if you are Garmin equipped I will be able to load on site.....at least the asphalt routes.

If possible I'd like to get them in advance so I can see them in MapSource / Basecamp.

If you don't mind, you could file attach them in an email to john dot hamilton @ myactv dot net

wayne_jenkins_CT said:
anyone camping for this? if so were at? Trying to save some $$$ and like camping.

Hey Wayne....split a room with Blaise (BBroj)......he's looking to ride up from Raleigh....

kathybrj said:
wayne_jenkins_CT said:
anyone camping for this? if so were at? Trying to save some $$$ and like camping.

Hey Wayne....split a room with Blaise (BBroj)......he's looking to ride up from Raleigh....

Vicki is having some minor surgery on Monday of that week so I have to find out if she wants me home during her recovery or says I can go.  If she gives me the okay and Wayne is not going to do it, I believe I would be interested in sharing a room with Blaise.

COG-528 said:
kathybrj said:
wayne_jenkins_CT said:

Vicki is having some minor surgery on Monday of that week so I have to find out if she wants me home during her recovery or says I can go.  If she gives me the okay and Wayne is not going to do it, I believe I would be interested in sharing a room with Blaise.

Sounds good to me, keep me posted!

Let me hold off until Monday, 7-2 2012, on sharing a room ,I have to clear up some things,but I will let you know on Monday.  thanks

The Old Clark is a great place,  VERY motorcycle friendly. 

I'm staying at Rally Central just because I like to be in the middle of the action :)

Mad River Marc said:
The Old Clark is a great place,  VERY motorcycle friendly. 

I'm staying at Rally Central just because I like to be in the middle of the action :)

In your high heels?

By the way, does WV have any dry counties? I don't recall any. NW Arkansas was funny, making people drive 8 miles north across the border. Where sits the biggest alcohol store possible, with like 6 people at the long counter to wait on Arkansas patrons. LOL.

I'm doing tequila and whatever...

connieklr said:
Personally, I'm staying at the Old Clark Inn, in town.  Less bux.

Vicki has given me the all clear to attend so now I just have to figure out about lodging since Wayne is going to share with Blaise.  After looking at the website for the Old Clark Inn I'm very tempted to join Guy in staying there.  It looks like a really nice place that caters to motorcyclists with covered parking for motorcycles and a nice porch with rocking chairs for enjoying après-riding activities. 

Btw, that Saturday Snowshoe Resort has Blues, Brews and Barbeque and features an evening concert by John Mayal.  Unfortunately it is a bit pricey to buy tickets unless you only want to attend the concert.

COG-528 said:
connieklr said:
[size=11pt]
Vicki has given me the all clear to attend so now I just have to figure out about lodging since Wayne is going to share with Blaise.  After looking at the website for the Old Clark Inn I'm very tempted to join Guy in staying there.  It looks like a really nice place that caters to motorcyclists with covered parking for motorcycles and a nice porch with rocking chairs for enjoying après-riding activities. 

<snip>

That's a good idea Mike. I think you should stay there and keep Guy company. That way he doesn't have to feel like he's by himself. Your a good man Mike Aldea! :great:

We had a 5 day trip planned for before the 4th to Staunton Va, & Mingo Wv.

Had to change all of our plans due to power outages in both states from a storm Friday night.

Marlinton was without power for several days as was Stauton. Trees down everywhere one looked!

We where going to stay at the Brazenhead Inn but when we got we found Will sitting on the porch, no power and none expected for at least 7 days!

Should all be cleaned up by the time we get there next month.

BOOK THOSE ROOMS.
Jason

I've stayed at the Old Clark before, it's a great place...  But me and my high heels will be staying at the MML LOL

And no Marlinton is not a dry town, the restaurant in the hotel when I was last there did have Yeungling ;)

Cap'n Bob said:
COG-528 said:
connieklr said:
[size=11pt]

<snip>

That's a good idea Mike. I think you should stay there and keep Guy company. That way he doesn't have to feel like he's by himself. Your a good man Mike Aldea! :great:

Not to worry. I will be socializing up at Rally Central. Besides, there's always good company staying at the Inn. Last time I was there, there were some folks from my birthplace up in Western PA. The front porch always has a nice group of people willing to share their day's ride experiences with those just hanging out. Looking forward to it.

Ok, we're like a month out and there are only 26 people signed up for this event!

Really? Who's coming that hasn't registered yet?

Why aren't you coming? It's a great weekend! Some of the best riding in the east coast.

You can ride the WV/Va Alps, Routes 250 & 33.
Oh, and don't forget route 39 through the Goshen Pass or Back Mountain Road from Marlinton to Durbin.
Or the road up to High Town! Oh and lunch at the Dinner in Monteray Va.

Motel has a great pool!

BOOK THOSE ROOMS and Register!
jason