• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ECU reflash fine tuning at Guhl Motors

h2oplayer said:
nando said:
I ask these questions also:
(seem like no one answers though)

I ride a lot in traffic and congested city flow. I shift at 25-30k quite often. I hear and see increases in torque occur at 35k.

I don't know what Concour you have but under 4k I am already hitting 70mhp.

Does this reflash makes low-end rpm smoother? I am interested in my bike running more efficiently, longevity and making the bike run better....I am not interested in doing 155 mph in 5th gear.

Has any non-hot-rod driver made good use of this reflash mod?

I did a full area P on my 2012 and went with the Guhl relash for a full system While this woke the bike up at the top end and some in the mid I felt like it was lacking at the small throttle openings. I added a pc5 and paid for some dyno time. We were able to work it up at theWOT and we really worked on the small throttle opening response. I can see a marked improvement staring at 2.5k the bike is really waking up by 3.5k and by 6k it is fully awake and charging hard 10k comes on quickly. One of these days I will down load the map and send it over to Guhl.

Base run with Guhl flash
154.27 hp
95.95 tq

After dyno mapping on dyno jet dyno
159.55 hp
101.8 tq

Area  P seems like the most conservative sounding slip on...but wait, you mean to tell me you had your ECU reflashed, then had to pay extra for a PC and dyno in order to get the bike runing well in the low rpm?...uhmm! that does not sound like a good deal.

nando said:
h2oplayer said:
nando said:
I ask these questions also:
(seem like no one answers though)

I ride a lot in traffic and congested city flow. I shift at 25-30k quite often. I hear and see increases in torque occur at 35k.

I don't know what Concour you have but under 4k I am already hitting 70mhp.

Does this reflash makes low-end rpm smoother? I am interested in my bike running more efficiently, longevity and making the bike run better....I am not interested in doing 155 mph in 5th gear.

Has any non-hot-rod driver made good use of this reflash mod?

I did a full area P on my 2012 and went with the Guhl relash for a full system While this woke the bike up at the top end and some in the mid I felt like it was lacking at the small throttle openings. I added a pc5 and paid for some dyno time. We were able to work it up at theWOT and we really worked on the small throttle opening response. I can see a marked improvement staring at 2.5k the bike is really waking up by 3.5k and by 6k it is fully awake and charging hard 10k comes on quickly. One of these days I will down load the map and send it over to Guhl.

Base run with Guhl flash
154.27 hp
95.95 tq

After dyno mapping on dyno jet dyno
159.55 hp
101.8 tq

Area  P seems like the most conservative sounding slip on...but wait, you mean to tell me you had your ECU reflashed, then had to pay extra for a PC and dyno in order to get the bike runing well in the low rpm?...uhmm! that does not sound like a good deal.

Just to be fair here the Guhl flash was not specific to the area p full system (not slip on) it ran well but I wanted it dialed in across the throttle range as I rarely am at wot. The improvement from stock to re flash was quite notable and drivable. I am sure if Guhl had built their map with the full area p system I would not have gone through the dyno run and tuning.

I guess next riding season I'll ride the hour or so over to Guhl and get mine done finally.

Leaving the stock exhaust on, I love the quiet when I'm listening to XM stereo in my helmet.

Besides, I had enough fire-breathing 200+ HP motorcycles (several of which could hit 200 mph) over the past 40-some years of motorcycling, and don't need that kind of performance anymore.  :rotflmao:

No the reflash does not affect the traction sys...trust me, I am an expert at asking questions about the reflash

Ocean said:
does the reflash effect the traction control system?

Pulling the flies affects TC, but the re-flash just changes the data in the secondary throttle butterfly table in the ECU. So TC doesn't see anything it can't override.

Egodriver71 said:
Ocean said:
does reflashing void the warranty?

For the ECU.

Not entirely true.  The dealer may void the warranty on ANY part they can prove, and they only need to state in writing it's their opinion, that the failure of the part was caused by the modification.  If you change the tune, pipe, air filter or anything else and the motor or trans goes south the dealer or manufacturer can void the warranty on those parts and any others THEY believe the modification was the reason it failed.  I said they CAN, not WILL, and it doesn't mean they'll get away with it, before you attack.  Once it's put in writing, and they void it, it's now YOUR problem to prove them wrong.  Been down this road and you're looking at a probable court fight to resolve it, and they have a lot more money and resources then you do.  Not trying to discourage anyone from modifying, just giving you a heads up as to what could POSSIBLY happen.  Be honest:  If you made a product that I purchased and modified would you incur the costs of repair or replace if it failed?  No way.  I'm not on their side, and don't like this reality any more than you do, it's just the way it is.

Russ said:
Egodriver71 said:
Ocean said:
does reflashing void the warranty?

For the ECU.

Not entirely true.  The dealer may void the warranty on ANY part they can prove, and they only need to state in writing it's their opinion, that the failure of the part was caused by the modification.  If you change the tune, pipe, air filter or anything else and the motor or trans goes south the dealer or manufacturer can void the warranty on those parts and any others THEY believe the modification was the reason it failed.  I said they CAN, not WILL, and it doesn't mean they'll get away with it, before you attack.  Once it's put in writing, and they void it, it's now YOUR problem to prove them wrong.  Been down this road and you're looking at a probable court fight to resolve it, and they have a lot more money and resources then you do.  Not trying to discourage anyone from modifying, just giving you a heads up as to what could POSSIBLY happen.  Be honest:  If you made a product that I purchased and modified would you incur the costs of repair or replace if it failed?  No way.  I'm not on their side, and don't like this reality any more than you do, it's just the way it is.

True for anything the ECU affects.

I'm saying if you flash the ECU and it fries for some reason and they find out it was tampered with, it is no longer covered under warranty.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
LancasterC14 said:
Any progress on the plans of sending the software and interface cable to prospective buyers rather than sending the ECU to have reflashed?

I've not heard any new progress reports on that portion of it. But I'll warn you up front, it probably isn't going to be cheap to go that route. I'd guess it's going to cost at least twice what it would to send the ECU in to be reflashed, or possibly more. I paid about $800 for an EFI Live tool to program the ECU in my car. So just be prepared in advance to pony up if you want the programmer tool, and I suspect it will only come with a license to do one ECU.

On My Triumph it was just a $10 cable plus download the TuneEcu software or $50 to flash the ECU at a dealer?

Okay, so I want the very most hp out of my 2009 that I can get without opening up the motor.  Do I want a full exhaust, a re-flash and a PCV?  Also, I'm in Houston, is Guhl the only place to get this done?

If I bought an ecu off eBay would it plug & play on my bike or is there software that needs programing to my specific bike. Was thinking I could buy another ecu & send that to Guhl to be reflashed leaving my original stock if I ever needed warranty work.

Mad dog. Just get the complete kit from fuel moto with the Area P full pipe, BMC air filter, and PCV with map installed. You will be very happy with the results. That will get you right around 160 RWHP. If you want to max it out, install ZX14 Throttle bodies and it should make over 160 RWHP, and will not fall off before the rev limiter. Mike.

Turbo said:
Mad dog. Just get the complete kit from fuel moto with the Area P full pipe, BMC air filter, and PCV with map installed. You will be very happy with the results. That will get you right around 160 RWHP. If you want to max it out, install ZX14 Throttle bodies and it should make over 160 RWHP, and will not fall off before the rev limiter. Mike.

The BMW air filter will give exactly 0.1 extra HP in perfect conditions. Per Brock Davidson of Brock's Performance who has dyno-ed these things to death.

So why bother?

I like the BMC air filter. First of all it can't hurt anything, and I like to be able to clean it real quick, and reuse it. It will last forever, and I never have to buy another one. Mine gets dirty quickly as I only do backroads riding, and we have a lot of bugs around here. Mike.

Zarticus said:
If I bought an ecu off eBay would it plug & play on my bike or is there software that needs programing to my specific bike. Was thinking I could buy another ecu & send that to Guhl to be reflashed leaving my original stock if I ever needed warranty work.

ECU needs to be programmed with KiPASS.

You cannot swap back and forth unless you are reprogramming KiPASS each time. :mad:

Egodriver71 said:
ECU needs to be programmed with KiPASS.
You cannot swap back and forth unless you are reprogramming KiPASS each time. :mad:

I guess this makes sense, because something has to control it....  However, if that's the case then couldn't someone with an ECM and matched up KiPASS FOB swap the ECM on a Connie and just drive off and doesn't that make KiPASS seem a bit less effective and the little seat locks even more important?  :(

Zarticus said:

You could if you had the KDS3 programmer tool. There is a unique ID number in the ECU that has to be "registered" into the KIPASS ECU and steering lock. Each one of these three components has a unique ID, and the ID for each one has to be registered into the other two for them to communicate with each other. So all three components of the KIPASS system (engine ECU, KIPASS ECU, and steering lock) are "married" to each other. If you replace any one of them, you have to "remarry" all of them back together. And I'm sure you know how expensive and complicated weddings can be....

By the way, one of the services Guhl Motors provides is a free re-flash back to stock if you ever want it. All you have to pay for is shipping.

I have had three done by guhl and they were great on the Concours but I had my gold wing done by him and it did nothing, no help at all.

rcannon409 said:
I think I will send mine in. I'm slightly concerned about a warranty issue, but not concerned enough to live with the stock map for two more years.

I want the extra low end torque.  I am at at an altitude of 4500-7000 ft and the bikes lose a significant amount of power at altitude. 

Plus, the low end response. If the bike had carbs, I would have bought jets by now. I suppose this really is not that much different.

Did you get a new bike :beerchug: