• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Engine miss, only bike in World with problem

GaryW

Bicycle
Hi - been lurking and researching on COG since picking up 11 C14 6 weeks ago - really helped dial it in quickly and obtaining aftermarket solutions (seat, pegs, windscreen, et al).  Put 3000 miles on it first 30 days, pretty much lives in dealer shop now.  According to Kawi, it is only bike in the world with problem....

The engine has intermittent missing, occurred about 7 times to date.  Sometimes after fill up, sometimes half tank, sometimes days without an issue.  The history:

- bike break in revs followed per manual, no over revs
- tank never filled into neck, per EVAP warning sticker
- dealer blew out EVAP lines, charcoal canister, and ran the bike trying to bypass all the emissions junk, none fixed issue
- Kawi rep had dealer check coils, spark plugs, no issue
- Dealer states no trouble codes from computer (hence, no code =no issue...), the techs can disassemble, replace, reassemble, but not diagnose
- I ran the bike for the dealer with all cowling removed and a small clamp to block off the blue or green EVAP lines to see if that would ID a potential fix; alas, the issue did not occur during a 140 mile test

The actual issues as occurred:
1- ~1500 miles on bike, 95 degrees, riding around town, occurred after fill up to bottom of neck and bike parked in sun for 20 minutes immediately after filling tank.  Resolved itself after 20 miles.
2- ~1800 mi, 85 degrees, occurred 20 miles after fill up, in open desert, flat road, solved itself in 50 miles
3 - ~2100 mi, almost identical to #2, resolved in 20 miles
4 - ~2500 mi, 90-100 degrees, 50 miles after fill up, did not resolve during 40 mile ride home, resolved overnight
5- ~2800 mi, 75-80 degrees, 80 miles after fill up, did not resolve in 170 miles or overnight, resolved as pulling into dealer next day
6- ~2900 mi, 80 degrees, picked up at dealer (could not replicate issue) rode 5 mi, filled tank to 3/4" below neck, immediate issue, returned dealer, they agreed, problem.
7 ~3100 mi, today, 85 degrees, 54 miles after fill up, did not resolve during 60 mi return to dealer.  Dealer has no idea what to do, calling Kawi again.  No code, no problem, except they agree there is a problem, but, gee, no code....

While riding when issue occurs, it feels like only 3 cylinders operating, has about 2/3 power, vibrates in all gears (feels like riding constantly over Bott's dots), dropping a gear or two and running hard to 10k revs does not "purge" the issue, venting the tank with engine off or running does not solve the issue, bad gas does not appear to be problem as I occurs after multiple stations and all brand name, swearing at or complimenting bike has no effect.

So, that is the basic history, have not found anything similar on COG or elsewhere. If it gets resolved, or if a new bike is the result, I'll advise here.

It is a special feeling to have bike 1 of 1 .....

Gary

Wow...sorry to hear about your woes on the new bike.  :'(

I wish I could offer some insights but unfortunately I'm a shade tree mechanic at best. I had a Hyosung GV650 which had a similar (not exactly the same) issue and the dealer/Hyosung was unable to definitively determine the cause. Eventually they replaced the gas tank and yanked all the California Evap stuff and I never had the issue again.

Keep us posted on what the dealer and Mama Kawi say.

From your symptoms, my first guess would be that your fuel tank is not properly venting and is causing your fuel pressure to drop because a vacuum is forming in the tank that the fuel pump can't overcome. This would be very easy to troubleshoot. Just leave the spare key in the gas tank lid, then fill the tank and ride it till it exhibits the symptoms, and when it does, reach down and pop open the lid and see if this makes the engine run normal again. If it does, then you have found the problem. The next step would be to find out why it isn't venting properly.

That was my thought.  Plugged/pinched vent lines. Or maybe a bad Power Commander, if it had one. But he didn't mention one and it seems pretty new!

Hi guys - thanks for the input.  I have tried venting (opening cap) with engine running and off, no change to issue.  No Power Commander installed.  The dealer looked at all lines (fuel and vent/EVAP) at tank and states no issue. Puzzling for them, me, Kawi.

Gary

I'm still leaning toward a fuel problem. There is a fuel pressure test outlined in the manual (page 3-42) as well as a fuel flow rate test. If your fuel filter is clogged or your fuel pressure regulator not working, or the fuel pump itself bad, this may be the problem. If they are sure it isn't a venting problem and the dealer doesn't have the gauge tool to test the pump, I'd probably just recommend they replace the fuel pump and see if that fixes it, assuming they can get Kawsasaki to cover it under warranty.

Thanks, Fred, I agree it is probably a fuel problem.  I'll discuss your recommendations with the service manager tomorrow as I know they have not explored the fuel pump.

Gary

Did the dealer pull and inspect the spark plugs when this problem was actively happening (or right afterward)? 

I would not rule out intermittent issues with the ignition system.  Even though the ECU can record error codes for failing coils, there's no guarantee it will for a intermittent problem.  Also, if it is fuel supply, all cylinders should be affected the same (all plugs would have same burn color), where as just one cylinder (misfire due to failing injector, failing plug wire, failing spark plug) should appear different then the rest.  At least that should help narrow the search for the cause.

Isn't "arm chair troubleshooting" fun?  :)

The dealer pulled the plugs immediately after shutting down while the issue was occurring.  The plugs were all similar in color, minor variances.

It has been my experience that arm chair troubleshooting is way more fun troubleshooting other people's vehicles.....it is my hope that I will soon rejoin the fun side of trouble shooting.....

But, in the meantime, this will eventually add another resource for people searching COG for info should they enjoy similar issues as my C14 demonstrates. Love the bike, hate the bike, repeat. 

I believe there was another report of bad fuel pump, but I don't remember all the details. If you could mount a fuel pressure gage on the bike and ride it till the failure duplicates, you could then check the fuel pressure while it is in the failure mode and see if it is the cause.

Here is another thought. Is there any chance you have some water in the bottom of the tank or bad gas? You might consider totally draining the tank refilling it with good gas.

I'll ask the dealer to consider the gas issue and drain the tank, if they will not, I will when I receive the bike back.  The water would have to come from Chevron or Shell stations.  The tank has been run down pretty low a couple times, although never emptied.  Bike has never seen rain.... Not a lot of wet stuff in Las Vegas so far this year . . .

Thanks for the research and thought on the issue.  Just signed up for full COG membership, appreciate the info available on the site and the quick responses to this issue.

Gary

If you need any more help let me know. I'd probably recommend giving the dealership a chance to see if they can work it out on their own, but if they are unable to, I can contact the Kawasaki tech dept and try to get them engaged.

GaryW said:
The dealer pulled the plugs immediately after shutting down while the issue was occurring.  The plugs were all similar in color, minor variances.

It has been my experience that arm chair troubleshooting is way more fun troubleshooting other people's vehicles.....it is my hope that I will soon rejoin the fun side of trouble shooting.....

But, in the meantime, this will eventually add another resource for people searching COG for info should they enjoy similar issues as my C14 demonstrates. Love the bike, hate the bike, repeat.

Given that, it should rule out an individual cylinder causing the problems, and just leaves things common to all cylinders.  As Fred stated, fuel pressure is the next likely cause.

As this bike has been doing this since basically new, they should be looking for an assembly error (factory messed up something during assembly), or a defective component from the factory (infant mortality / factory defective part).  This may require a slightly different mindset for troubleshooting than the typical misfire.  It also means that all components are on the table, including the ECU, wiring harness, wiring connectors, & ground connections.

Sorry to see you not getting the most enjoyment out of your new bike, but you gotta love that special feeling you get from being unique in the world.

Seriously, I hope they find a solid cause, and don't just mysteriously make it go away.  That would just leave you with an empty feeling, like wondering when your activator switch might stick again, right Bob?

Thanks to all for the input and advice.  I agree with Fred to allow dealer to see what they can do.  I summarized what Fred and C1x suggested in an email to dealer and will follow up with a call this morning, and then let the magic occur between dealer and Kawi.  Already 3/4 of way to lemon law compliance, and would just prefer a fix. Too much time and money invested dialing this one in, would prefer not doing everything again so soon.  Just want to ride again....

Hang in there. It will probably turn out to be a fairly simple fix once they get it properly diagnosed.

What about a poor GND or +12V connection to the fuel pump?

I had a 1978 Volvo that wouldn't start one day because the screw for the fuel pump GND wire was loose.

Check out where the fuel pump GND connects to the frame or it could be an inadequate crimp connection somewhere bewteen the battery, fuel pump and GND.

Update: dealer still on no code, no problem. Checked lines, pressures, power connectons, all seem OK. Kawi rep visiting late next week, will check catalytic converter.  Dealer heat gun is malfunctioning, so rep is bringing gun to see if cat is over heating and plugged. 

Interesting. I hadn't thought about clogged CATs, but that could definitely cause it if they are. Though I don't know why they would be clogged on a bike this new.

They are going to your theory of possible water contamination, which apparently causes clogging.  The dealer said I could replace the exhaust system with after market system and eliminate the cat, or wait for the rep to arrive at end of week. Interesting pitch, I declined, already too much money spent on dialing in a bike teetering on triggering lemon law. Prove the cause, then fix it, then we can look at spending more....

GaryW said:
They are going to your theory of possible water contamination, which apparently causes clogging.  The dealer said I could replace the exhaust system with after market system and eliminate the cat, or wait for the rep to arrive at end of week. Interesting pitch, I declined, already too much money spent on dialing in a bike teetering on triggering lemon law. Prove the cause, then fix it, then we can look at spending more....

I agree with you. Don't throw any more money at the bike. It's Kawasaki's problem. Let them find and fix it. Talking you into spending more money for aftermarket parts isn't the right way to solve the problem.

if it turns out to have ultimately been caused by water in the fuel, will kaw deny any wrongdoing and who would have to pay for all the work thus far? 

tjhess74 said:
if it turns out to have ultimately been caused by water in the fuel, will kaw deny any wrongdoing and who would have to pay for all the work thus far?

Good question. But if fuel is suspect, they probably should have tried it tight off the bat, when they had no codes! Pull the tank and empty the tank into a bucket or something. Then try new fuel after they inspected everything under the tank. Why all this wasting time, when all this could be completed in short order!  ;)

I do not know the answer to the question about who pays, although I will find out if it is the issue.  Dealer stated "this is all covered by the warranty" ..... But memory is a fickle thing at the end.

Since this first started 1700-1800 miles ago, 8-9 fill ups have occurred. If there WAS water from a fuel station, it seems like it would be pretty much used up by now. I can think of at least 12 stations I have visited in NV and CA since acquiring the bike 6 weeks ago.

It could just be a bad part, that is my company line....

This is certainly an interesting problem. I think it is time for some diagnostics although most people would rather guess and change parts it seems, especially mechanics (that is not a 'dig', just an observation).

The fuel pump pressure monitoring is a good idea.

Another very helpful thing to know would be the exhaust temperatures of each cylinder. As the problem seems to last for a while, it should be fairly easy to stop the bike while it is misfiring and check all four header pipes for temperature; if there is a significantly cooler or cold one, that cylinder is the source of your problem. If it is one cylinder it is more likely to be an electrical / ignition problem than a fuel delivery problem.

I agree that you have a bad 'part' somewhere on the bike.... the problem seems to be finding it. Sorry to hear that this has been torturing you and the very best of luck getting it resolved.

Brian

GaryW said:
I do not know the answer to the question about who pays, although I will find out if it is the issue.  Dealer stated "this is all covered by the warranty" ..... But memory is a fickle thing at the end.

Since this first started 1700-1800 miles ago, 8-9 fill ups have occurred. If there WAS water from a fuel station, it seems like it would be pretty much used up by now. I can think of at least 12 stations I have visited in NV and CA since acquiring the bike 6 weeks ago.

It could just be a bad part, that is my company line....

Thinking about this, I don't understand why the dealer or the Kawi Rep would even consider a plugged Cat as a possible explanation.  Them saying the Cat may have been damaged by water in the fuel, causing it to get plugged up, might make sense if the problem was not intermittent.  Since it is intermittent, I would say that alone rules it out.  It would be interesting to hear their reasoning for this (if they have one).

I still think you're searching for an intermittent electrical connection somewhere.  Wiggling wires while the bike is running may put it into the failing state.  Since several of your failures happened after shutting the bike off for refueling, my guess would be under or in front of the tank somewhere, since the engine will heat soak that area a lot right after shutting it off.  Of course, that's just a WAG.  Temperature changes will cause things to expand or contract, which will eventually cause a marginal connection to fail.

You said they checked the plugs when the problem was occurring, but if they didn't let it run long enough in the failing state, then the plugs may not show anything significant.

Brian's suggestion of checking the header pipe temps (just use an IR non-contact thermometer) would be a much better way to rule out a single cylinder problem.  If they don't have one, they can get them pretty cheap.  You're not looking for exact temperature reading, just one pipe that's noticeably different than the others.

Here are 3 relatively cheap ones (got a email advertisement today, and noticed the first one) :
http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/infrared-thermometer-93984.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-pocket-thermometer-93983.html

Hmm, this waiting is tedious.  Where's the little popcorn eating emoticon when you need it?

I am going with a plugged fuel filter.... Please, prove me wrong, change it.... Good luck sir..

Thanks Brian, C1x  and ddtmoto.  I'll discuss with dealer when Kawi rep arrives Wed.  You are right about the waiting...I took a week off to do a tour and the bike was in the shop the entire week. While on hold while calling dealer during vacation their commercial message asked, "going on vacation?" Yep.  "Buy a 2012 Honda Goldwing and tour the country." Now they tell me....

Hard to imagine a GW vs the fun of a C14, really do love the bike, so much fun, intermittently. For now, I live vicariously through the folks on COG...

ddtmoto said:
I am going with a plugged fuel filter.... Please, prove me wrong, change it.... Good luck sir..

The C14 doesn't have a conventional fuel filter, as it's built into the fuel pump.  The FSM states it is not serviceable and can't be cleaned (2010 FSM 3-49).  You have to replace the fuel pump if it's plugged.

Doesn't rule it out, but given the input screen on the pump has a pretty large surface area, there would likely be noticeable amounts of crap in the tank before it gets plugged.  Visual inspection of the pump should show it.  Or maybe there's something like a piece of paper in there, that once it covers the inlet screen, is held in place by the suction of the pump?  Fueling would move it around, changing its location.

I once stopped at a Shell station with my 1Ton truck while hauling a trailer to the southern Oregon coast.  I was rewarded with 3 tanks full of rusty crap with my purchase (truck has 3 fuel tanks).  Spent the next several years changing fuel filters every couple of months, and finally put a sediment bowl inline to save me some time and trouble.  It could be something like that happened to you.

Certainly worth asking them to pull the fuel pump and check the tank for contaminates.

In case the problem is caused by water, either because you got a slug from a gas station, or the inherent ethanol problems, have you tried using some ethanol free gas or additives made to get rid of water laying in the bottom of the tank?

I started using Phillips 76 gas.  Only local gas that has no ethanol.  I have also used Heat (red bottle) and Amsoil "Quick Shot" occasionally as a preventative.  Maybe a combination of an additive and then different gas would help.

Reason I say this is that a bunch of local bikers had issues with "missing" or downright quitting here, and the problem was traced to a popular local gas station with water in it's tanks.

I will discuss fuel pump and tank contaminants with dealer.  I have not tried Heat or similar additives yet.  If the dealer or Kawi rep cannot determine issue, will give it a shot when I eventually receive possession of the bike.  I have used so many gas stations in both metro areas and cross road towns with only one station within 30-60 miles it could be hard to narrow any potential culprit, if indeed moisture or contaminants is an issue. 

Thanks for the additional input, gents. I should run a contest to see who can determine the correct issue....

C1xRider said:
Gary, surfing around this afternoon, I spotted this post, and thought of you  ;D

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=95.msg21902#msg21902

It sounds like a bad wiring harness has been diagnosed before.  You might want to contact the person who posted it and see if you can get more information.

Received feedback from the rider with the electrical harness issue, edited info is below.  Although the symptoms are dissimilar, the info might be helpful to someone searching the forum in the future.

"Our problem with police bike was mostly wiring with the symtoms being blown fuses.  First it was with the emergency lighting and then with the head, tail and brake light system.  We could not keep them going.  The wiring problems were all tied into the aftermarket harness and how it was tied into the Kaw harness along with a computer board that had been reworked.

We did not have any symptoms as you describe.  One thing to look at, if your bike is an ABS.  Look at the area that the ABS wires channel.  I heard that the original design was probably for a non-ABS model.  That area may be a little cramped.  I don't know if that would yield your problems, but like I said, I am no mechanic."

Update: Kawi rep looked at bike 7/6, could not replicate issue, not sure what causes problem.  Dealer mechanic started bike 7/7, issue apparent immediately. Kawi emailing a code to dealer to read ECM for some type of super secret access.  Kawi leaning toward electrical issue, and hoping that their special code will reveal an issue with ECM.  Dealer expecting to test bike 7/8 morning.

Update as of 7/9: Kawi's secret access codes did not yield a result.  Kawi decided to send new Throtlle Position Sensor and Air Intake Sensor to see if that solves issue. New parts arrive Tuesday.  Dealer thought that if either sensor was bad it would yield a code already, but speculates Kawi knows something they are not aware of locally.

I'll be on business in Canada, return date sometime by end of week, still open, so road testing is likely 8-10 days from now...presuming they are satisfied this solves issue and return bike to me.

So, the waiting continues....

Update as of 7/14: Throttle Position Sensor and Air Intake Sensor appear to be fine.  Kawi supplied additional guidance to dealer and dealer believes they have narrowed the issue to cylinder #2, either a fuel injector malfunction, ignition malfunction or possible wiring harness fault. Dealer is starting with the injector this morning, and will continue through the ignition, and if necessary, tracing down harness issues.  Dealer hopes to determine the final resolution this afternoon, and then order the replacement pieces.

rockgate said:
So have you asked if Kaw will give you a new bike if the next "let's try this" doesn't work?

I did have a brief discussion about that a few weeks ago.  The situation is 3rd out of 4 required visits in progress, and/or about 20 out of 30 required days in shop until the lemon law is hit.  Until then, they will keep plugging away.  So I have owned the bike 55 days, and 36% of that time it has been in the shop.  And still counting.....

Rather just get this one fixed, since the dealer will probably be of little assistance if I have to deal with Kawi.  They would be just as happy to sell me another bike, Kawi's problem, not their problem.

GaryW said:
I did have a brief discussion about that a few weeks ago.  The situation is 3rd out of 4 required visits in progress, and/or about 20 out of 30 required days in shop until the lemon law is hit.  Until then, they will keep plugging away.  So I have owned the bike 55 days, and 36% of that time it has been in the shop.  And still counting.....

Rather just get this one fixed, since the dealer will probably be of little assistance if I have to deal with Kawi.  They would be just as happy to sell me another bike, Kawi's problem, not their problem.

That is painful, and I would also be voicing discontent.  However, what else can you do but wait and grumble?  :(

Hopefully since it sounds like they are homing in on something, it wont be long now.

Update 7/16: Dealer states ignition sticks swapped and did not resolve issue.  Looked at injectors and 1,3,4 are slightly clogged, 2 is clogged.  Trying to clean, and will order replacements if necessary on Monday.  Dealer asked if I ever put diesel in tank, as clogging appears similar to what diesel would do.  No, not on my watch.  Dealer speculates that perhaps a fuel station had contamination.  Guess we will find out on Tuesday if the injectors were the issue.

GaryW said:
Update 7/16: Dealer states ignition sticks swapped and did not resolve issue.  Looked at injectors and 1,3,4 are slightly clogged, 2 is clogged.  Trying to clean, and will order replacements if necessary on Monday.  Dealer asked if I ever put diesel in tank, as clogging appears similar to what diesel would do.  No, not on my watch.  Dealer speculates that perhaps a fuel station had contamination.  Guess we will find out on Tuesday if the injectors were the issue.

Wow, if it turns out to be a station messed up and put some diesel in their gasoline tanks, that would be bad.  After all this, how could you determine which station it was?

If it does turn out to be a clogged injector, I still don't get why it's so intermittent.  Seems like once it's clogged, it would either stay that way, or clean itself up (from cleaning agents in the fuel), then be good to go, all the time.

Update #2 7/16- dealer cleaned injectors, issue persisted.  While fiddling with FI, technician looked at harness plug.  Main fuel injector plug has about 25 pins.  One pin was 1/16" pushed back and making minimal contact.  Dealer repaired pin, reinstalled and engine is running smoothly.  Dealer believes it is bike assembly error in the FI harness. 

Does not explain clogged injectors, but if they are clean, and if the pin was the issue, then I'll pick up the bike Monday morning and hopefully be in town for a while next week to test.  Not dancing yet, but am debating between tap or soft shoe for later in week.

Makes sense, when contact is made the fuel flowed thus opening and cleaning the injector, when there is no contact the fuel will not flow therefore drying out and clogging the injector.

Sweet!  There's hope for it after all.  ;D

I vote for tap, then everyone knows what you're doing, just not why...

C1xRider said:
Sweet!  There's hope for it after all.  ;D

I vote for tap, then everyone knows what you're doing, just not why...

Yes, I am leaning towards tap, in all the riding gear, of course.

Hopefully it works out, and that then this thread will assist someone down the road, the main reason for starting it.  You, Fred and the thread participants offered good troubleshooting info and links.  So, even if the intermittent  problem being searched via Google or within the forum is not directly caused by the harness, the other tips could get someone on the road more quickly.

Of course, if the engine starts missing again next week, I might join a building demolition forum to learn the correct use for small amounts of blasting materiel....

So, off to shine the dance shoes.  Will advise test results after a few hundred riding miles.  Thanks to all!

Update 7/18: After 19 days on it's 3rd service visit, picked up bike today and did ~135 miles of desert and 8000 foot mountain riding, and some minor surface street stop and go, 70-103 degree temps.  One fill up 1/4 way into ride.  So far, smooth running engine, normal power.

Previously, even when the engine ran well, between it's bouts of only three cylinder power, I experienced numb hands after about 20 miles over 50 mph, and then ongoing for duration of 50+ riding.  On today's ride, the bar resonance appears to be diminished, and most of the ride the hands were in good shape, just a little numbness during a 70-75 mph run over 20 miles or so.  So, it looks like a positive byproduct of fixing the harness plug.

Hopefully, this is the final update on the issue...

GaryW said:
Update 7/18: After 19 days on it's 3rd service visit, picked up bike today and did ~135 miles of desert and 8000 foot mountain riding, and some minor surface street stop and go, 70-103 degree temps.  One fill up 1/4 way into ride.  So far, smooth running engine, normal power.

Previously, even when the engine ran well, between it's bouts of only three cylinder power, I experienced numb hands after about 20 miles over 50 mph, and then ongoing for duration of 50+ riding.  On today's ride, the bar resonance appears to be diminished, and most of the ride the hands were in good shape, just a little numbness during a 70-75 mph run over 20 miles or so.  So, it looks like a positive byproduct of fixing the harness plug.

Hopefully, this is the final update on the issue...

Great news!

As for your comments about hand numbness (a subject near and dear to my heart), I've been very suspicious of fuel mixture as a possible cause for excess vibration for some time.  From your comments, it sounds like after all the work the dealer did, yours is now smoother (less buzz / vibs in the bars) at speed than it was when delivered from the factory?  I'm wondering what, of all the things the dealer did, would have improved that.

Did they provide a list of everything they did or touched in the process of diagnosing the bad connection?  You said earlier they swapped coils among cylinders, and cleaned and / or swapped the injectors?  Did they just rotate the injectors among cylinders, or did they actually replace some of them?  Any info about any adjustments they made would also be of interest.

As for your comments about hand numbness (a subject near and dear to my heart), I've been very suspicious of fuel mixture as a possible cause for excess vibration for some time.  From your comments, it sounds like after all the work the dealer did, yours is now smoother (less buzz / vibs in the bars) at speed than it was when delivered from the factory? 
--- That is correct, noticeably smoother that as delivered, not perfect, and certainly something I have not experienced on any bike I have owned from mini-bikes on up to today. 
--- There really is not a noticeable vibration, other than the excessive vibration caused when the engine was missing. Just what I can only describe as persistent resonance, very light, but with summer weight gloves and some miles and hours, eventually worked from hand numbness to eventually weakening the arms.  For the first hour after a long ride, the arms were just dead.  And I am in pretty good shape top to bottom.  Hellooo, ladies..... I digress. After today's ride, noticed the effects minimally, but nothing like during the first 3100 miles.

Did they provide a list of everything they did or touched in the process of diagnosing the bad connection?
--- No, I meant to request that detail, but got involved with having a backup small FOB programmed, key cut, and some other stuff, then got excited to see bike and roared off.  My bad.

You said earlier they swapped coils among cylinders, and cleaned and / or swapped the injectors?  Did they just rotate the injectors among cylinders, or did they actually replace some of them?
--- They swapped coils among cylinders, but did not replace the coils, and my impression is they put all back to original position.  They pulled the injectors to clean them, did not replace.  In a discussion on Saturday, it sounded like the injectors went back to home locations so they had a same/same comparison.

Any info about any adjustments they made would also be of interest.
--- I was pretty much in the loop with what they were doing, and adjustments were not in the vocabulary.  Disassemble, clean, reassemble.  And look for codes, man, they looked deep for codes.  They did blow out all of the evap lines and similar things noted on page one or two of the thread.  Syncing injectors, fuel maps, etc. were not part of the equation.  The only adjustment was pulling the pin in the harness out until it clicked in place, 2nd pin from left, top row.  The solution was discovered by chance. Adjustments were pretty much what ever might have occurred due to disassembly, cleaning, reassembly.