• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Installed LED headlights and turn signals

big0red4224

Bicycle
Forum Subscriber
TJK, I have not done the rears yet, but I do have them to install this weekend. I'll do the same pic with the hazards on to show both. The same bulb fits.

Rich, yes. It was a straight swap. I made sure I found bulbs that were direct replacements, and allowed the use of the OEM headlight boots and connectors the way Kawasaki designed it. Some LED bulbs use remote drivers or big fans, which don't seal up the same with the OEM boots, and can allow water into the housings.

I rode it from Mesa, AZ to Las Vegas and back this weekend. Non-stop except for gas both directions. No ill effect on the headlights. If they will run for 5 hours straight, twice, I have no reason to believe that there will be any heat issues as a daily driver.

big0red4224

Bicycle
Forum Subscriber
No problem, sir. The turn signals were a bit on the expensive side, but they really are excellent. And the design works perfectly with the shape of the C14 lights. The head of the bulb is sort-of a projector and shines really brightly ahead, and the LEDs around the circumference really shine to the sides as well.

Riding to and from Vegas really made it evident how much better the new lights are. Many people who were dawdling in the left hand lane moved over without me ever having to tap the passing lights.

rexter

Moped
Forum Subscriber
Here is my solution:

F060-CA52-B14-E-4-FD2-BA80-D68-F21-E8-B661.jpg

The factory tail/brake and signals are now red running lights.

big0red4224

Bicycle
Forum Subscriber
Those look nice. I'd probably do that if I had kept my rear fender. I emailed B2W to see if I could work with something. I may disassemble my original light and work some voodoo on it.

rexter

Moped
Forum Subscriber
It’ll work with a fender eliminator. The Whelen lights are mounted on a flat plate that goes behind the license plate. There are ears Tonkin the lights.

skiee

Newest PY21W BAU15S LED Car Bulbs, Amber Yellow 25W 12496 7507 PY21W BAU15S LED 2641A Bulbs for Turn Signal Lights with Build-in Load Resistor Anti Hyper Flash for Blinker Bulb (Pack of 2) https://amazon.com/dp/B08DHMNDF2/

AUXITO H4 9003 LED Headlight Bulbs, 12000LM Per Set 6500K Xenon White for High and Low Beam Hi/Lo Plug and Play, Pack of 2 https://amazon.com/dp/B07TQLK6SH/
Thanks for the link to the LED turn signals!
Direct plug n play units! These things are freakin' bright, buddy!
They would only let me order 1 pack at a time but well worth the price in my opinion!

Norm

big0red4224

Bicycle
Forum Subscriber
Glad they worked out for you, Norm. Put a full set in my buddy’s ZX14R. Had to put a new flasher in his, since his uses a different, 2-wire flasher. Otherwise, direct for those too.

horsenuts123

I installed the headlights last night replacing some LEDs I put in a couple years ago. Cut off on the low beam is much better than what I was running and the high beams light up road signs for a couple miles! Installation was a snap too because of their size. The units I just pulled out had a huge heat sink that sat behind the bulbs. The picture is the same brand I was running before, but the H4 that they don't stock anymore.

Attachments

• old led lights.jpg
    old led lights.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 15

texas.devops902

Howdy. Nice writeup! I had swapped out the front lights and location lamps with LEDs too and they work much better. Also noticed that the license plate lamp is 1980's style and I'd like to replace that with an LED. Have you swapped out yours already, and if so which lamp did you opt for?

Thx, AB

texas.devops902

I installed the headlights last night replacing some LEDs I put in a couple years ago. Cut off on the low beam is much better than what I was running and the high beams light up road signs for a couple miles! Installation was a snap too because of their size. The units I just pulled out had a huge heat sink that sat behind the bulbs. The picture is the same brand I was running before, but the H4 that they don't stock anymore.

Just want to confirm, for any who may have doubts about these lamps, that they are WAAAAY brighter than the LEDs I previously had installed. Haven't seen them coming at me, but from the way the road lights up out front I'm guessing these are pretty hard to miss! And then the high beams, wow. Just WOW.

My next thought is to swap out the turn signal lamps for the switchbacks. Saw a thread about them the other day. Not sure I'm a big fan of pulling off the body panels to string the wiring though. The video that was shared gave an overview, but didn't get into nearly enough detail for me to feel comfortable plunging in.

At this point I think I'll just swap out the front turn signal lamps for the LED ambers, which appear to be super bright based on the number of surfaces. Only concern might be that they could get super hot. I'll try these and report back once installed.
1621531005394.png

big0red4224

Bicycle
Forum Subscriber
At this point I think I'll just swap out the front turn signal lamps for the LED ambers, which appear to be super bright based on the number of surfaces. Only concern might be that they could get super hot. I'll try these and report back once installed.

I haven't had any issues with heat, and it's been pretty warm here.

aulton.andrews8948

Big Wheel
Forum Subscriber
Glad they worked out for you, Norm. Put a full set in my buddy’s ZX14R. Had to put a new flasher in his, since his uses a different, 2-wire flasher. Otherwise, direct for those too.
What flasher did you use in your buddy's 14R? I have a 2012 ZX14r. Did you change out his headlamps?

big0red4224

Bicycle
Forum Subscriber
What flasher did you use in your buddy's 14R? I have a 2012 ZX14r. Did you change out his headlamps?
For the flasher relay, went with the CustomLED guy. Worked great. https://www.customled.com/products/elfr-1-electronic-led-flasher-relay

For the headlights on his 2018 ZX14R: https://www.amazon.com/H11-H8-H9-Conversion-Waterproof/dp/B08LKLV4DX

They work AWESOME. It is how the bike should have come. The pure white lights are SOOO much better than the OEM incandescents. The highs and lows are the same bulb. On the 2018 anyway. And the passing light button on the ZX makes it look like a damn strobe. Not that he has to use it. The same city lights above work for the ZX, too. They're even the same color temp as the linked headlights.