• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Locked posts

gsun

COG# 9127 CDA# 560
Why are some threads being locked with no explanation? One was a review of Steve's flash and was locked immediately. Another was someone saying it was a test to see if his posting went OK. Maybe some other people would like to try that too. What's up????

Please review the guidelines of the review section. Replies are not allowed for reviews per policy.

Last edited:
Wow! That's really messed up. No discussion, no negative reviews. Reviewed by staff before it actually gets posted. ???????????

And the guy that was testing his first post? Why was that locked?

gsun,

I appreciate your questions and concern and that a moderator replied quickly. Please expand on your objections as I understand you are stating that the rules have been violated.

I (the locking of the "first post") came off to me as Heavy Handed by a mod.
The post (to me) didn't appear to violate any rules.
In all organizations there must be checks and balances, so @gsun was just doing the right thing by asking.
So, please have the mod who locks a thread to add the reason/rule for why the thread was locked.

Those guidelines were in effect on the former forum as well. Work through your AD if you want the policy changed. The BoD were the ones who set the policy.

Last edited:
Regarding the "first post" I will make inquiries as to which moderator locked it and why.

I responded the "review" question because the reason it was locked is clearly spelled out in the sections guideline. As stated previously, this is not new and the reason why is clearly noted in the guideline.

Why are some threads being locked with no explanation? One was a review of Steve's flash and was locked immediately. Another was someone saying it was a test to see if his posting went OK. Maybe some other people would like to try that too. What's up????
the Reviews threads, have always been a "locked upon post" system, ever since it got out of hand with spiteful wars..
it's all outlined in the Terms for that thread...
Now, as it's progressed, it works fine; any single person can feel free to type a review, and if so desired a comparison withing that review, on things they used as milestones for the review they type.. it's not "open to discussion", nor need it be, it's a review by a single person. pretty simple..

as for the "test" post, no idea about that one, other than if it was a "test", they could go "back" and erase it if it was not locked.. within the 30 day limit. As long as nobody else posts to the test post..

So why can't one post a negative review? A review is a review. I would like to know if something was not good in someones opinion.

So why can't one post a negative review? A review is a review. I would like to know if something was not good in someones opinion.
who said you couldn't? A review is just that, be it positive about something you bought, or voicing your dissatisfaction with it as purchased... nobody said you can't.... you just write your review, and post it... and then it is locked; for a reason that this is not a point of discussion, just a review.. saves space, and prevents all the b/s about "my xxxx is better than your xxxx..." back and forth angry ranting.

You have a point, but remember when we had all the "whose flash is best" drama on the forum? IIRC it got pretty heated.
who said you couldn't? A review is just that, be it positive about something you bought, or voicing your dissatisfaction with it as purchased... nobody said you can't.... you just write your review, and post it... and then it is locked; for a reason that this is not a point of discussion, just a review.. saves space, and prevents all the b/s about "my xxxx is better than your xxxx..." back and forth angry ranting.
What Rich said.

I quote from the rules:

Any direct or comparative review posted is to keep in mind the honorable nature of the club, emphasizing the positives rather than the negatives of any product.

That's talking about comparisons.

"I bought X and here's why it's awesome" is okay

"I bought Y and here's why I didn't like it" is also okay

"I bought X and it's way better than that piece of garbage Y" is NOT okay.

That's talking about comparisons. Not only. "Any DIRECT or comparative review"

"I bought X and here's why it's awesome" is okay. Yes, this is OK.

"I bought Y and here's why I didn't like it" is also okay. Not Ok according to the rule. Read it. "emphasizing the positives rather than the negatives"

"I bought X and it's way better than that piece of garbage Y" is NOT okay. Correct, but it should be OK.

Not sure what I think about the language of the reviews that are allowed, but I support having individual reviews being standalone posts and have no issues with them being locked. That part of the policy was always clear to me. Previous reviews devolved into flame wars and I don't think that serves any purpose.

"I bought X and it's way better than that piece of garbage Y" is NOT okay.
I was just reading this morning a thread on another forum where the OP had to restate at least four times what the original purpose of the thread was. It came down to something very similar to what I quoted above. The members who had a better idea than what the OP was asking about, almost completely drowned out the discussion of what the original post was about. I can see reviews going the same way easily.

I may be a "moderator", (or whatever title shows up when I post this), :D , but I follow the same philosophy below on whatever forum I'm posting at. Each forum makes up the rules. If I don't like it...tough. As one church member was overheard telling his kids, "'Fair' is only found in the dictionary and Puyallup". Only someone from Washington State would understand that one.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: