• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Looky what I gots!

I never noticed anything different about the handling or steering input throughout all the twisty riding.

You have twisty riding in Fl.? Things must of changed since I last lived there.

TimR said:
I never noticed anything different about the handling or steering input throughout all the twisty riding.

You have twisty riding in Fl.? Things must of changed since I last lived there.

Noooo I was at the RWTW rally in the N georgia mtns - THEY have twisties!  :motonoises:  Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
  Noooo I was at the RWTW rally in the N georgia mtns - THEY have twisties!  :motonoises:  Steve

Dude, I can't wait for you to come to Arkansas and see the twisties we got here. 

Sport Rider said:
I'm not surprised Steve.  Anything to reduce vibes on these things is a GOOD thing.

Question for you.  I'm getting ready to do a ZRX replacement on the front.  The risers are mounted with rubber cones top and bottom.  I'm expecting that to help with vibration, but any experience with that setup?

Thanks!

I temporarily used a different set of risers on my ZRX front end, I felt an immediate change from the conical bushing risers. Wasn't that bad though but then again my bike must have been built on a monday as I do not have much vibration as compared to some of the other connie's I've ridden.

could be the different engine internals on my bike (ZRX rods, ZX11 pistons) Or was it the other way around?

Got to see this 1st hand at the last RTE.  Very Cool.  Though Murph's Buzz free
has done a fairly good job containing the buzz, Steve's new mounting system
will give the rider a lot more comfort options.

Personally I look forward to have the 1st Connie with Ape Hangers (that don't buzz)  :motonoises:

Nice work Steve!!!  :beerchug:

SISF,

Please take my money for the vibration gizmo.

OK, that doesn't sound right.

I mean the anti-vibration gizmo.

Thanks.

RJS

you guys are a riot sometimes. I'm workin on it, I promise! waiting on my prints and parts I ordered, need to find a couple shops to quote pricing - which is why i need my prints - Steve

A word of encouragement for you Steve! GO STEVE!

Heck I am still plotting my SISF Upgrades (7th gear/2min mod/cams/overflow) and now you are working on the next big thing!

You Rock! and I love the giddy forum excitement your post has created...I hope you don't make them all wait TOO long! 

OK, I'm starting to get some pricing, this is preliminary, but it looks like the price will be in the 250.00 range. This would be for the isolated bar mount assembly, but not bars, etc... Of course this will work if you have tube bars or heli's already...

So my question is if there's still interest at that price point? If there's not, there's no point in me continuing on. I could probably get it done less expensively if I went out of the US, but we're going to keep this in the US ... we need americans working.

please post up if this is doable or not - thanks - Steve

Steve, based on what I've seen in this post, you're going to have a ton of interest, even at that price.

Count me in.

:bravo_2:

^-^

If you are selling an affordable schmooshy gizmo to dampen the vibes to the grips, I'm in the market.

$250 is a tad steep in my world.  I'd find $200 somehow.

If this is $250 for Step One of many, I'm out. 
:truce:

I am not too cheap.  Just too broke.  Simply no money for new handlebars, etc. 

I can put you in line with my five grandchildren if you can wait a decade or five.
:)

Hope my response is unlike the rest.

RJS

Vibrations?  I have to say I'm not in the market. Murphs' hand grips and bar risers helped. But with SiSF's 2MM and Exhaust Cam gear plus the 7th gear and I do not have a problem with vibs until about 85-90 mph. After that "performance awards" get real expensive and could cost me from getting any more farkles!!  :beerchug:

I have yet to find ANY bargain priced Farkle.  Especially one
straight out of development.  The parts are likely well worth the
money, especially those that lean more towards the Touring in Sport Touring
and having long term comfort a necessity.

What would 'hold me back'?

Just the mounts leaves a lot of less experienced shade tree DIYers in the
dark with a lot of related issues.

Of course changing out the stock bars means finding aftermarket bars...
...seemingly daunting, and what is close to stock?  If I install new bars, do
I need all new hydraulic lines?  Will attaching reservoirs/controls be more
of an added expense?  What's a likely estimate on total cost of installation
from 'bone stock' bars?

If $250 is just the 'starting point' of this mod, then I'd say it may get pricey
for those that do not have 'spares' laying about to make it work.

I'm not familiar with this kind of project... obviously.  There it is through my eyes...  :eek:

Mcfly said:
What's a likely estimate on total cost of installation from 'bone stock' bars?

Good questions. If you choose a set of bars that approximate the stock hand-grip position, then you won't need to replace hoses cables or wiring. But, I suspect many will take advantage of the wide range of aftermarket bars available, and some will install higher and/ or wider bars. Just like adding risers, you might be able to reroute to gain the extra length, if you are not going too far from stock.

Of course changing out the stock bars means finding aftermarket bars...
...seemingly daunting, and what is close to stock?  If I install new bars, do
I need all new hydraulic lines?  Will attaching reservoirs/controls be more
of an added expense?  What's a likely estimate on total cost of installation
from 'bone stock' bars?

Hi Marty. Dunno if you noticed the bars on my bike at O'steens RTE, they are "ATV bars from Yamaha".  I had to get a new choke cable and new brake lines. The throttle and clutch cables/line had to be re-routed. It was a good idea to replace the stock brake lines at the time anyhow.

As an aside, and on topic for me, I'll not be purchasing this Shoodaben mod as my bike is already fairly smooth. I have no issues doing 7-900 mile days as is.

I've just gone for new SS brake lines, and I have the Buzz-less kit, so
making all I've invested so far a 'wasted expense' is a bit disheartening.

If I weren't so far along on this path, the new mounts would seem much
more attractive.  I'm going to get my carbs to SISF a top priority for now.

Thanks for the info guys.

Well, this is what I need to see - there can be alot of interest in a farkle, but if it doesn't meet the price there's no point in doing this.

Keep in mind any machining done in small quantities is fairly expensive.

also keep in mind that if you already have tube bars, this will be an easy replacement; one that actually damps vibes.

since this would be an reasonably expensive project for me to invest in (several thou $$$) , I need to hear everyone's comments on the price.

Tube bars go in the 25 to 30.00 range, but they offer REAL comfort  options. steve

My vibes have dropped quite a bit with SISF's torque cam, 2MM and 7th gear so I'm not sure how much better it's going to get. I guess maybe as smooth as with the engine off?  :)

I think I'm personally at the point of diminishing returns with all the repairs, mods and upgrades I've done to my bike so far.

It would be nice to try it out to see the difference, although I don't know if that's a possibility without driving someone else's bike. Of course, if Steve does make it and it sells well, word of mouth may convince others on the fence to go for it. It would probably tip me as did all the good press that his other stuff got.

Steve,we are talkink about the bars or adapter and not just the rubber right.  Count me interested as well

it's the mounting bracket that goes from the bike to the bars. doesn't include bike, doesn't include bars. Includes the bar clamps. 250.00 for rubber would be pretty steep! Steve

It's nice to know my stuff is trusted, but this one is going to be a substantial cash outlay on my part, so I need to test the water first.. Steve

At 250, for me it will be way down the list... after all the other goodies, like your latest jet kit, the cams, etc...

Now I just have to figure out how to split my direct deposit between you and Murph...  :truce:

I'm just sayin, In terms of touring, supposed before all the other mods where done you just isolated the vibes in the bars. Makes a good used bike great.

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
OK, I'm starting to get some pricing, this is preliminary, but it looks like the price will be in the 250.00 range. This would be for the isolated bar mount assembly, but not bars, etc... Of course this will work if you have tube bars or heli's already...

So my question is if there's still interest at that price point? If there's not, there's no point in me continuing on. I could probably get it done less expensively if I went out of the US, but we're going to keep this in the US ... we need americans working.

please post up if this is doable or not - thanks - Steve

Steve,
  I have done MANY group buys and have had MANY one off items fabbed up that "everyone wanted" before I invested my time and money. Here's what I learned, you should learn from this. All those who say "I would buy it, or I want one, or I would take one" Have them pony up.

Basically say you need 25 buyers to preorder the item before it goes into production but let them know it may not be an overnight thing, which is never is. Then, and only then, will you see just how much interest is in the item you are trying to make.

Steve,

If this were a simple mod that would fit on the handlebars I have, as I thought, I'd shoot for it.

Screwing around with buying new handlebars and maybe new cables and reattaching everything -- not knowing what the final cost would be -- was the deal breaker for me.

But ... if you ever concoct a gizmo that would soften the vibes from the OEM bars, I would be interested, once again.

Even if the bike didn't come with it for $250.

RJS

Because of the layout of the stock bars, that will never happen. And alot of connies already have tube bar conversions, it's the only way to get the bike to really fit alot of us. Tube bar mounts / adapters aren't new for the connie, but fully rubber isolated, like mine are, is something new. Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Tube bar mounts / adapters aren't new for the connie, but fully rubber isolated, like mine are, is something new. Steve

Not really.  :nananana: It's a pretty old and simple trick to get fully rubber isolated bars. First you have to find a wrecked ZRX1200, or 1100. Then hope it's front end is alright, then buy the forks, upper and lower triple clamps, ignition is nice, fender, wheel, brake system and new 17" tire. Then find a machinist you trust with your life to enlarge some holes. Simple.

It's a pretty good deal since you not only get get a free handlebar adapter with it but it's also rubber isolated!

Gitbox said:
Steve, any updates on this?

I'm bringing it (riding with it) to the national, and I'll gauge interest there. I have a couple machinists that are expressing interest, so that helps. I do have a bit of wonderment on some of the feedback I've gotten as to price; one person pointed out that the storz is around 200.00 and that's where my isolated unit should be priced (or even less). I guess they figure a non - isolated and isolated unit are the same, or that the superior design will be less expensive to produce than the solid mount that has less pieces, etc. Trust me, if I can trim price, I will, and If i can get to or below 200.00 I will.

I even had one fellow PM me and state that nobody is going to put this kind of serious money into any c-10, as they're all dated and old.

The bottom line is going to be finding reasonable production prices. I'll want to see how folks receive it at the national, too - Steve

200 bucks ain't bad for something like this . Not like its a mass produced item . I'd be interested for sure when its ready .

Late to the party here.
Steve, if still looking for feedback, the $250 price point throws me out of the mix  :(
I've learnt other methods to manage what little of the vibes, but it would be nice having a one stop fix.

Those do look sweet though.  I'd love to have them just for the bling factor alone and 67% increase in gas mileage (oops, wasn't supposed to mention that yet, huh?)  ;D

And I'll offer for those "concerned" about the rubber isolation, shoot, Honda did it from the factory on a lot of the vertical twins up into the '80's, Yamaha 750 Maxim and Virago's I rode had them. Never know the difference rolling down the road, carving the curves.  Yeah you could "feel it" shoving the bikes around in the garage, but other than that, golden.

From everything I've heard about you your stuff works I'll pay to test, my Dr. wants me to give up the bike as it aggravates my arthritis. this my keep me in the saddle.

Steve's rubber handle bar gizmo looks pretty good to me at $250

Seriously, what are the options.

1. Stock bars that are only comfortable for thirty minutes before the pain begins.

2. K B type risers which are better than stock but cost about $100 and still result in pain.

3. Heli type bar conversions at about $200 but without rubber

BTW Steve, from a marketing standpoint is your product only able to be used on C10's or could it be used on other makes and models of bikes?

I have ridden SHOODABEN with the first prototype isolator, and it pretty much eliminates vibration in the bars (much more than just reducing it). The bar vibration that you used to estimate speed (at what ever rpm your vibration gets intrusive) won't work anymore and you will find yourself headin for triple digits way to easy :motonoises:

I have Murphs bar weights, and HELI bars and my bike is not a BAD vibrator but, still makes my right hand feel like its on fire after a 3 or 400 mile ride. I am on the unofficial waiting list, and think the 250 price is a great deal if you consider the cost of all the things that improve but do not eliminate the problem. One stop/ gitRdone. Hope it dosen't make it as boring as a ST. >:D :))

To All, The old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind here. Steve's products and service stands tall in today's take the money and run world. All of his followers will attest to that. Quality products that meet or exceed expectations is rare. The price of $250.00 sounds expensive at first, factor in quality and performance, true customer service & the price is right.

To Steve, Have you considered a package deal. After researching what it would take to convert over to your proposed/not available yet bar anti-vibration system may have some people lost. I am sure you have thought of all this and have to get production costs in first. I would love to have a package deal where it is a one-stop shop. Even at the $250.00 dollar price range it is still a bargain IMHO. Thanks for all you do Steve and have a great day. Say thank you to your family for time away from them so you can help all of us  ;D. Have a great fourth of July and enjoy the ride.

I'm in & I would need to change my handle bars & god knows what else. Yes it's expensive but I really feel the numb right hand thing after an hour. So I'm in & will send the check when I know how much & when! Thanks Steve! Gary p. Newbie

Greetings, I purchased my '02 Connie in Aug. of last year. One of the thing I notice is that I'm constantly gripping the grips with 2 fingers only, the other 2 are on the bar weights. I will be getting a bar conversion kit from somewhere and getting it soon. Steve if you could please push your machinists, I will gladly purchase these from you. Yes $250 is a little on the steep side, but I will be spending close to that on the Storz kit, so for a few more bucks I'll get vibration reduction as well.

In short, count me in.

$250 puts this out of my "buy it now" plans, but definitely on my wish list.

That said, I do think it's a good deal. My Concours has HeliBars on it, and I like the nearly endless adjustment possibilities, but they still buzz. Of course, HeliBars aren't available new for the C10 anymore; neither are Storz adapters. So, what other options do we have? We've got Steve's adapters at $250. Or we could use the $145 KB adapters from Murph, but they don't have the rubber isolators. Then we can add the isolators from Rox Speed FX, but they cost $165, so that puts us at $310 to get pretty near the same effect that Steve is offering at $250.

Expensive? Yes, for my budget; but less expensive than the other options.

BUMP    :-\

What ever happened w/ these?  The thread just kinda died...  Steve, are you still contemplating them or?

I have been uni-impressed with what the cost appears to be, and the initial feedback I';ve gotten suggested that the demand wouldn't be great at what projected cost would be. If folks really start wanting them, even at 300.00. I might try to find a way. Steve

I would gladly ante up, Steve. I always thought if you could kill the buzz on the C10 you wouldn't be able to find a used one for sale anywhere. Probably the single biggest con or Achilles heal to a great bike. I have spent tenfold on three different C10s with three different levels of vibration. Good work.

I don't have the buzz 'til I get to 5 grand. I don't NEED the 5 grand. I have SiSF's 7th gear mod. Rev's don't get to 5 grand until about 90 mph. I have Murphs' risers and grips that help. I also run Steve's jet mod and torque cams. With the torque cams I don't need to get above 5 to 6 to get the bike to MOVE!!
  Now I will say that before all these mods I had the buzz at 5 grand. Murphs' risers and Murphs' grips helped quite a bit on my bike. The 2 minute Mod helped also. The best was the 7th Gear Mod and the most $$ but it keeps me out of the 5 grad and above at highway speeds.
  I have had this bike ('94) since new and right now it is the best that it has ever run. It was good before but now it's better. I really like this bike even after 99,000+ miles and 19 yrs of riding it. :) :)

Thanks Steve.

Chalk it up to riding styles. I see 9k in each gear multiple times every day. (no need to mention my recent "get off" thanx). My bike isnt too buzzy but whats cooler than stuff no one else has. Hmmm.... Nothing. Im game but I liked $250 better :))