• Forum Subscribers and COG Members, please be aware of policy changes put into effect due to action of the COG board of directors based on input from members. The new membership system makes it possible to implement these changes.

Forum Subscribers – Forum Subscribers get a six-month limited feature trial forum membership. Forum Subscribers Read the Details Here.

Members – Your full forum access is only in effect while your membership status is active. Members Read the Details Here

• FORUM NAME - If you are a COG Member and your user name does not match your name in the old forum or you just want a new one, you can now change it on your own. Read the Details Here

• *READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * If you are a current COG Member or Forum Subscriber and this is your first visit to our new site and forum, please go to www.concour.org and follow the instructions at the top of the page to activate your account and gain access to your site and forum.
  • READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lowering links.

mattgarr57

I’ve been searching and reading on this.  Is there general advice?  I know lowering links will affect side stand  and center stand. Any advice on brand etc?  I know you can get an adjustable side stand, but what are the center stand options?  Thanks for your help!  I am looking for advice on the lowering links, the good, the bad, the ugly.

Just Cliff

I can't help with your answer as I've never used lowering links, lucky to have long legs. Hit Ted (connierider) up though, pretty sure he's tried several different ones & I think even made some.

mattgarr57

Just Cliff said:
I can't help with your answer as I've never used lowering links, lucky to have long legs. Hit Ted (connierider) up though, pretty sure he's tried several different ones & I think even made some.

Thank you!

connie_rider

I originally had the Muzzy Lowering Links.
Actual drop {measured axle to frame} was about 1 1/2"-1 3/4" 1 1/4".
Was too much drop for me.
After I tried them, I opted to buy some ZX-14 links and modify them to the drop I wanted.
  I now have 3/4" drop and happy with that.
  NOTE: I don't recommends the build your own as it was not EZ to get right.
1 Company makes Lowering Links that drop similar to the Muzzy's.
Probably your best option. if 1 1/2-1 3/4 1 1/4" will work for you.
T-Rex Racing:
https://www.t-rex-racing.com/Lowering-Links-Concours-14-s/710.htm
I suspect there are other Companies that make Links the same way, but don't know the names..

Some companies sell Links with multiple amount of drop. {have several holes}
Don't like them as they start at about 2" drop and go lower.
We've had multiple reports on the Soupy adjustable.
  Some say they work with the center stand, some say no.
    I think they will work ok.
  Do a search on this Forum to find out more.

On the side stand, no need to buy shorter.
  Just heat the lower section red hot and bend it outwards slightly.
    1 EZ method is to heat and lean the bike and allow it to bend. Just be careful and don't over bend.
        If you go too far, re heat and bend it back.
On the center stand, almost impossible to get a 14 on the CS without shortening it.
  I can send you photo's of where and how much to cut/reweld.

Ride safe, Ted

mattgarr57

connie_rider said:
Actual drop {measured axle to frame} was about 1 1/2"-1 3/4".
After I tried them, I opted to buy some ZX-14 links and modify them to the drop I wanted.
Probably your best option. if 1 1/2-1 3/4 will work for you.
T-Rex Racing:

1 EZ method is to heat and lean the bike and allow it to bend. Just be careful and don't over bend.
On the center stand, almost impossible to get a 14 on the CS without shortening it.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks! I would appreciate photos.  mattgarr57@gmail.com

mattgarr57

connie_rider said:
Actual drop {measured axle to frame} was about 1 1/2"-1 3/4".
Probably your best option. if 1 1/2-1 3/4 will work for you.
T-Rex Racing:

Ride safe, Ted

Also, do you lower the front the same amount as the rear?

connie_rider

On mine, I lowered and set the sag 3/4" on both ends.

If you lower more at the rear, there is not clearance {fork tubes to hitting the bars} to lower the front an equal amount.

I made an error in my first note.
I think the Muzzy's lowered the bike 1 1/4".

For accuracy; That 1 1/4" is measured {before and after the Lowering Links are installed} from the axle to the bike frame
                        with the bike on the center stand.
                    The difference in the 2 measurement's tells you how much you actually changed the drop.
                        Due to sag, a ground to seat measurement will not be the same.

Ride safe, Ted

mattgarr57

connie_rider said:
On mine, I lowered and set the sag 3/4" on both ends.

If you lower more at the rear, there is not clearance {fork tubes to hitting the bars} to lower the front an equal amount.

I made an error in my first note.
I think the Muzzy's lowered the bike 1 1/4".

For accuracy; That 1 1/4" is measured {before and after the Lowering Links are installed} from the axle to the bike frame
                        with the bike on the center stand.
                    The difference in the 2 measurement's tells you how much you actually changed the drop.
                        Due to sag, a ground to seat measurement will not be the same.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Ted!  At 3/4” drop, did you have any issues dragging the nose of the lower plastics when going over bumps, etc?

connie_rider

Even with the Muzzy's I've never had a clearance problem.
But, with the Muzzy's I did drag foot pegs and the center stand *push down/perch at a Track Day.

** Not sure what the correct name is?

I installed shorter pegs, decreased my amount of lowering {with my home made Link}, and raised the Center stand slightly,,,,  and all was better.  :great:

NOTE: When the side stand push down/perch drags at 100++ in a sweeper, it scares the s___ out of me!
                                            Immediate  :c002:      and then,,  :86:  8)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Just saw this on the other Forum..
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=24617.0;topicseen

mattgarr57

connie_rider said:
Even with the Muzzy's I've never had a clearance problem.
But, with the Muzzy's I did drag foot pegs and the center stand *push down/perch at a Track Day.

** Not sure what the correct name is?

I installed shorter pegs, decreased my amount of lowering {with my home made Link}, and raised the Center stand slightly,,,,  and all was better.  :great:

NOTE: When the side stand push down/perch drags at 100++ in a sweeper, it scares the s___ out of me!
                                            Immediate  :c002:      and then,,  :86:  8)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Just saw this on the other Forum..
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=24617.0;topicseen

Thanks Ted!