• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

mirror replacement

I have some experience with this one...

it will depend on if you want to replace the mirror assembly only, or if you want to replace the outer fairing mirror-bodywork (too).

The mirror itself is actually connected to a frame-attached piece of metal.  on the underside of the mirror you will find a large circle/hole, about the size of an old silver dollar.  Here, you can fit the small allen wrench onto the three bolts that connect the actual mirror to the bike.  remove these three bolts the the mirror comes out pretty easily.

However, if you are looking to remove and or replace the bodywork piece, its a MUCH tougher job.  This piece is connected to the frame from the underside of the segment from behind where the instrument panel is.  To remove the screws connecting it, you will have to remove various segments of fairing, the windscreen, the instrument panel, and the respective inner segments of plastic that cover this side of the bike.

I know this because i have damaged the screws on the fairing portion of my mirror.  Now it is very loosely connected and slightly wobbles in the wind as i ride.  the saving grace is the mirror itself is connected to this metal framework portion individually, and is solidly still connected to the bike.  It has a slight vibration to it that the other, undamaged, mirror has during normal riding.  i have been informed that replacing the unit will run me into the hundreds due to all of the manhours it will take to replace it...not to mention that the entire portion would need to be replaced.

I hope this helps some...

mnofpeace said:
However, if you are looking to remove and or replace the bodywork piece, its a MUCH tougher job.  This piece is connected to the frame from the underside of the segment from behind where the instrument panel is.  To remove the screws connecting it, you will have to remove various segments of fairing, the windscreen, the instrument panel, and the respective inner segments of plastic that cover this side of the bike.

I'm not exactly sure of everything that you said,  ???...however it sounded much worse than it actually is. To replace the whole left or right mirror assy., only the top cover needs to come off on which ever side you are replacing. The windshield only needs to be in the raised position (not removed) to facilitate a push pin plastic rivet removal at the top front of the cover. Once the cover is removed you'll have access to the 3 nuts that hold the mirror assembly to the bike.
Unless I'm reading it wrong it seems Ron Ayers wants $137.94 for the mirror assembly. I don't think it's all that hard to do. The recent work I did on my mirrors (LEDs) the hardest part was holding on to it while I had it off. Seems all the edges are all curved and I almost dropped it on several occasions. If only the outer portion is damaged, then mnofpeace is correct there are three torx screws on the bottom that holds the moving or folding part of the mirror and no cover would need to be removed for that replacement. If you just need to replace the actual glass mirror I have no info on that, even though I came very close to needing the same thing.  :-[  I currently have the covers off mine so if you need a picture (mine will have wires going to the LEDs) let me know.

+1 to what Marty sez... in more detail:

First remove the three bolts securing the black thing on the top of the gas tank. you need that out of the way so you can unhook a fitment tab that secures the side fairing cover.

1 plastic push rivet reachable with a hook-type tool or bent piece of coat hanger, and three bodywork bolts to remove the right-side top fairing cover (the black piece of plastic). The left-side fairing cover (on 2010s and later) has more stuff attached that you need to disconnect -- wiring connectors for the grip heat controller and the locking glovebox solenoid. Additionally, there is a bolt in the bottom of the glovebox that needs removal in order to remove the fairing panel/glovebox assembly.

The pix below are what I have on hand -- the first one shows (poorly) the subframe spar that the mirror assemblies attach to. In the second shot you can just see the rearmost mirror attachment bolt in the upper right corner (what the horn mounting bracket is secured to), all accessible with those top fairing covers off. No other bodywork has to come off... unless you are replacing the broken subframe spar, something that can happen if the bike is allowed to roll over for a nap.

Good luck!

Attachments

• ZG1400_SubFrameDamage-3.8.jpg
    ZG1400_SubFrameDamage-3.8.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 177
  • MotoFarklesC14-7.jpg
    MotoFarklesC14-7.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 164
ProfessorKonk said:
... unless you are replacing the broken subframe spar, something that can happen if the bike is allowed to roll over for a nap.

OK, now in the above case, what mnofpeace said makes much more sense, perhaps that was what he was referring to.
Yeah I did kinda leave out the part about the tank cover in the middle. Still, all in all, the mirror assy. replacement isn't
all that bad, a... once the part is paid for that is.

The red arrows point to the three nuts that hold the mirror assy. to the bike. (disregard the wires) The red circle is where the bracket may break
in a fall. If that bracket is broken then the description given by mnofpeace sounds pretty accurate, unless you find a method to mend it..

All good points made by the Prof. K'.

Good luck!