• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

need help fabricating dropdown bracket for Delkevic exhaust

hammerash

I am installing BW headers and 18" Delkevic CF muffler on my 2015. There aren't instructions in the box. Pretty straight forward and I have installed aftermarket mufflers on all my bikes. But decided to check Delkevic website to see if any special instructions. Also since I noticed what looks like baffle in muffler and I didn't remember it coming with one. Anyway, there is mention of a dropdown bracket, that connects to the muffler mount bolt on top and the strap that goes around the muffler on the bottom. I can't find it anywhere in box? It is listed on packing list. I am headed to Skyline Drive this weekend, so time is of the essence. I guess I'm going to have to make one. Anyone have picture of bracket? center to center distance between the holes?

regarding the baffle, I guess just that one bolt on bottom removes it? No mention on Delkevic website on this. Steve, I think I saw on Two Brothers mufflers the baffle makes a big difference in performance. Do you know if the same with a Delkevic 18"? Probably just leave in for now as Skyline Drive speed limit 35 and will likely be very busy this weekend so don't think will matter much, LOL. Most fun is coming off the Drive and getting back on. Those roads can be a lot of fun!

wow. I sent email to Delkevic and they responded in 15min, at 10:00PM EST. Told me where to look for it, said they do have that in warehouse and wanted me to let them know if still can't find. I looked at can't find, so just replied that. Asked for measurements to fab one till they can get me one. waiting to hear back, but still would help if anyone knows how far it drops the mounting hole?

The bracket (Delkevic) that I got measures ~ 1.5 in center to center.

The bracket from BW measures ~ 1.3 in center to center.

Originally had the BW muffler and switched to the 18 in Delkevic. I ended up just using the same hardware from BW (strap and drop down bracket) when I put on the Delkevic muffler.

Thanks. I found a piece to use. Zinc plated steel, 1/16" thick. Delkevic responded back. They thought maybe I got wrong link pipe but I don't think so. I sent picture of it and sticker on bubble wrap around link pipe said GTR 1400.

Attachments

• 20231003_000305.jpg
    20231003_000305.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20231002_234740.jpg
    20231002_234740.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 57
Yes that looks like the link pipe I got as well. It didn't come with the rubber bumper though, had to use the one on the stock pipe.

I did use the link pipe from BW though since it was already installed.

Bracket thickness from them measures ~ 1/10 in and looks to be stainless steel.

That does look like the correct unit. One temporary idea could be to use a heavy duty cable tie to mount while you wait for the bracket. If you wrap the contacting surface in electrical tape… you do not risk scratching the pretty carbon fiber surface. You also eliminate the need to bend the metal bracket to match the shape of the unit diameter. Just a thought.

So after sending picture of link pipe and wrapping that was around it, they confirmed it is correct one. Here was their response-at 1:15am EST.

"It appears you have the correct pipe. We will get the drop bracket and screw over nighted. It won’t ship until Tuesday"

Pretty good service!

Reactions: Bud
If your photo is showing all the pieces you received, you're missing at least 3 pieces.

1) The clamp that goes on the muffler
2) the flat steel drop down bracket
3) the SS Hanger w/rubber pad that wraps around the muffler.

If your photo is showing all the pieces you received, you're missing at least 3 pieces.

1) The clamp that goes on the muffler
2) the flat steel drop down bracket
3) the SS Hanger w/rubber pad that wraps around the muffler.
No, I have those parts. The picture was just for them to identify that I had correct link pipe. I included muffler just for sizing comparison.

The hanger sure does seem to be bent strangely? Oh, I have my reducer ready to go!

Attachments

• 20231003_170852.jpg
    20231003_170852.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 35
Yeah, the dB reducer on the Delk is massively restrictive. Also...when you take out the screw that is holding it in, put it back in after you remove the reducer. If you don't, that little hole makes a weird noise believe it or not.

Did you get the part?
You can modify the baffle, to greatly reduce the restriction and keep it quieter than having no baffle.
Jim S has the info posted.

Ride safe, Ted

Did you get the part?
You can modify the baffle, to greatly reduce the restriction and keep it quieter than having no baffle.
Jim S has the info posted.

Ride safe, Ted
Here is the link to Jim’s post. Extremely helpful.

I put Two Brothers mufflers (joke, straight pipe with fiberglass along the inside perimeter), :rolleyes:

on ZX14 headers, small tubes 82.5 cu in. Since 2012, they have had big tubes 87.9 cu in

It was too much noise, so I installed their inserts and drilled many 1/8-inch holes, which worked for me.

Steve upgraded my ECU flash. And it's a beast, At this years Jennings GP race school, I was turning the fastest laps I have ever clocked,

1697075688063.png

Last edited:
For some reason I am not getting email notifications of any replies eventhough I have that checked?

Yes I got the part. great customer service from Delkevic. But my Buddy canceled trip due to potential of rain. It ended up being nice. Scheduled to go next weekend instead ( 20-22)

Got exhaust all installed. Tight near oil cooler ( i can probably get pinky in there). So should not touch any fairing on right. Looks great with the 18" carbon fiber muffler! Hopefully no leaks. I have radiator off so cleaning it up and unbending fins. Maybe tomorrow get it installed and start it up. Will leave radiator loose ( hang with wire ) in case of leaks in header or collectors and just to re torque header nuts. Not sure if even able to do that with radiator loose. May have to come back out.

Will fill with distilled water and run engine and then flush several times as suggested by the FSM. Or is there some other product to clean/ flush system with? Then I will fill with coolant. I have thread saved that has Steve's coolant mixture in it, but don't know if want to be worrying about freezing temps. I'm in MD and the one year we had like a week of around 10 degree temps. Steve's mixture didn't have the same freezing point depression of 50-50 mix. have to review what it was. I guess going to get the Kawasaki coolant cause I hear about avoiding silicates, phosphates. Then I may dilute that some with distilled water and water wetter, but maybe not to dilution Steve suggested.

I have read that if leave screw out of muffler ( the screw that held baffle) that it whistles. I gotta find a nut to fit it I guess. And I'll look over the thread on modifying baffle, in case without too loud.

And trying to get to air valve connection to disconnect and put wire loop to trick ECU into thinking still connected as suggested by Steve in old thread.

Thx everyone.