• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Helmet, New Experience

mike2411

Road Bike
I bought a new "Kabuto Ibuki" modular helmet on Friday after reading about it and listening to the "2015 helmet reviews" from Revzilla. The helmet I was wearing before this new helmet was the "Shark Evoline 3".

Prior to buying the Ibuki I was having all kinds of trouble trying to find a quiet, turbulent-free spot on my bike but really couldn't, no matter what I tried and I went through 7 different windscreens that proves I was looking for that place without success. I was trying windscreens because I was convinced there was no way the helmet could have been that bad. Well, I was wrong! To make things worse, I sold 4 of the best windscreens thinking they weren't doing their job when they weren't the problem!

I rode for the first time this weekend with my new Ibuki modular and first thing I noticed was how smooth the wind felt traveling around my helmet and how quiet it was! I was shocked and so surprised. I lowered my windscreen while doing 90 mph on the freeway and the wind was smooth...like butter! I couldn't do that with the Shark because it was way too rough and loud! I can barely hear the Delkevic slip-on with the "Ibuki" whereas I was hearing it all day with my Shark helmet on, even with my molded ear buds in (which I wear all the time). The Ibuki is more comfortable, smoother, quieter, lightweight (quite a bit lighter than my Shark) as it comes in at just over 3.5 lbs, and the venting...it vents so well! I couldn't feel the air entering the vents in the Shark which made that helmet hot to ride with. This new helmet vents so well! Opening the top and rear vents allow soooo much air to travel through the helmet making it much cooler to ride with! The padding in the helmet is "Cool Max" and is very comfortable! The fit of the helmet is great! There was a "hot spot" in the forehead of the Shark but the Ibuki's fit is "right on the money"!

This new helmet is amazingly quiet, smooth, comfortable and lightweight. I'm extremely satisfied with it and it has made riding the Connie so much more enjoyable because I no longer battle the roughness and noise of the wind like I did before! It is kind of a pisser because, like I said earlier, I sold off my windscreens and am sure that one of them would have been PERFECT with this helmet :mad:!

If you're looking for a new helmet and want to go modular I would take a serious look at the Kabuto Ibuki...great helmet for $450!

Hi,
        Thanks for the review!

Funny how these helmets look a lot alike but act different!

Here's a pic of your helmet so people know what you are describing!

Don't worry about past windscreens!

You look cooler with the MRA Vario anyway! >:D

Attachments

• 66666666.jpg
    66666666.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 226
Hi,
      If my cheap HJC ever gives out. :-[

I'm looking at this BELL Bullit as it is just so retro! ;D

Don't know if it is any good, but goes for $400! :-[

Attachments

• bell_bullitt_helmet_detail.jpg
    bell_bullitt_helmet_detail.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 122
Very nice right up Mike!!  I am sort of looking to replace my 9 year old Arai profile,,, I am def. gonna look this Kabuto up and check it out,, Question though... Do you know what snell rating it is? 

I had a Bullitt for a little while, but had to sell it after one ride...it was just too round for my oval head. Trying in on around the house, I thought it was gonna break in and work, but with wind pressure it pushed into my forehead much harder. Instant headache. FWIW, I wear a Bell RS-1, which fits me very well.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's really worth $400, but it's a nice helmet. Biggest selling point, apart from style, is the visibility, which is excellent. Close to a 3/4 helmet.

pechorin75 said:
I had a Bullitt for a little while, but had to sell it after one ride...it was just too round for my oval head. Trying in on around the house, I thought it was gonna break in and work, but with wind pressure it pushed into my forehead much harder. Instant headache. FWIW, I wear a Bell RS-1, which fits me very well.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's really worth $400, but it's a nice helmet. Biggest selling point, apart from style, is the visibility, which is excellent. Close to a 3/4 helmet.

Hi,
        Thanks for the info!

Admittedly the Bullits only pulling me because of looks and I to think it is a little high for what it is!

The Bell RS-1 looks more modern!

Attachments

• ffffff.jpg
    ffffff.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 126
I've been very pleased with the RS-1. Admittedly, haven't compared it against higher-end helmets...but it has some nice features and it fits me well. Also, if you're willing to buy non-solid colors, you can usually find them on closeout for anywhere between $150 and $250 (rather than list of $400).

Good looking helmet.  Many of the features look virtually identical to my Neotec (which is the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned).  The internal sunshield activation lever, the windscreen hinge and removal system, the front ventilation scoop all look just like the Shoei.  I've never heard of Kabuto; I wonder if they are related to Shoei? 

I like the sweeping curve along the side of the helmet, and the helmet looks like it has superior posterior venting to the Shoei.  And at $450 compared to $589, I'm going to have to give the Kabuto a real hard when it's time to replace my helmet. 

Hi,
      Here's a question.

When do you guys deem a helmet needing to be replaced? :(

Attachments

• 1203188762.jpg
    1203188762.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 172
ZG said:
seagiant1 said:
Hi,
      Here's a question.
5 to 6 years IMO.

Yeah; I usually go between 4 and 5 years; both from a safety standpoint, and improvements in technology or features.  I replaced my HJC with the Neotec after only 3 seasons mainly because I wasn't very happy with the HJC.

Unless, of course, the helmet ends up protecting your noggin during an incident.  Then, you replace whether it "looks" okay or not.

Solomookie said:
ZG said:
seagiant1 said:
Hi,
      Here's a question.
5 to 6 years IMO.

Yeah; I usually go between 4 and 5 years; both from a safety standpoint, and improvements in technology or features.  I replaced my HJC with the Neotec after only 3 seasons mainly because I wasn't very happy with the HJC.

Unless, of course, the helmet ends up protecting your noggin during an incident.  Then, you replace whether it "looks" okay or not.

Hi,
    Hmmm...good info ! Thanks!

Admittedly when I finally pulled the trigger and bought my C14, I just bought a "cheap" HJC from the Dealer!

Just wanted to get on the bike and go at that point! >:D >:D >:D

I'm going to get the goody out of it,  but next helmet is probably going to be the Bell Bullit.

I guess if you order a helmet and it does not fit you can return it for another size. ;D

Attachments

• tumblr_nvv590Jbyz1tq5811o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nvv590Jbyz1tq5811o1_500.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 204
seagiant1 said:
I guess if you order a helmet and it does not fit you can return it for another size. ;D

That depends. Some places won't accept a return after you've put it on your head. You know, lice and such. Cycle Gear is a good place to try out a helmet. They give you 7 days to decide if you like it. If not, return it and get another one.

I have been very happy with my RS-1. I am a self proclaimed helmet whore and for the money I dont think there is a better one. I have the Transition shield and it works fantastic too! I have worn everything under the sun except an Arai, they just do not fit my head. Next in line is Shoei, I have had a Quest and Rf1100 and the Bell is just as good.

Bigfoot_16 said:
seagiant1 said:

That depends. Some places won't accept a return after you've put it on your head. You know, lice and such. Cycle Gear is a good place to try out a helmet. They give you 7 days to decide if you like it. If not, return it and get another one.

Hi,
        Thanks Gentlemen! :great:

Some good info here! ;D

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 223
Talk about timing.....I looked at the Kabutos this past Sat and tried on the Ibuki.  Very nice helmet and it fit well.  The sales guy may be full of it, but he claimed the Kabuto rep told him they do a lot of research and design now for Shoei and actually own the wind tunnel Shoei does all their testing in.

I plan on picking one up this week....just gotta decide on the color........

Fais said:
Kawi Ken said:
These Kabuto Ibuki's are on close out now at Revzilla for $359.Just ordered one. :)
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kabuto-ibuki-helmet

Shoes has all metal clasps and latches in the modular action. Others have plastic. Is this a modular with metal hardware? I'll have a look later. My Neotec is loud loud loud....

:beerchug:

Yes that sucks the neotec is loud, I think every report I read said they were pretty quiet, im almost deaf and mine is loud.

I have a Vega modular helmet with sunshade and I love the features, but like Fais - it's really loud.  I wear ear plugs only some of the time.. so I just broke down and bought a new helmet last week myself.  Another modular, the Bell Revolver EVO Segment Helmet.  It was $200 - so looking at upgrading my comm too - got the Sena SMH10R and going wireless w/bluetooth.  Hopefully it works out and I'm happy with them both!  Another reason for the bluetooth is so I can do bike-to-bike with one of my good riding buddies.

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 101
I bought the Kabuto Ibuki from Revzilla a few weeks ago and was able to get out last weekend with it.. I love helmet, it was an ease to attach my Sena 20s and my GoPro. I really liked the lever to flip up the helmet was on the side and not in the front like most helmets so this did not interfere with the GoPro.

Attachments

• IMG_7354.jpg
    IMG_7354.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 135
Randy Z said:
I bought the Kabuto Ibuki from Revzilla a few weeks ago and was able to get out last weekend with it.. I love helmet, it was an ease to attach my Sena 20s and my GoPro. I really liked the lever to flip up the helmet was on the side and not in the front like most helmets so this did not interfere with the GoPro.

Yep...like I said when I first got it and I'll say it again, the helmet is AWESOME! Everything is solid, it vents really well and is really comfortable!

talcon said:
I have a Vega modular helmet with sunshade and I love the features, but like Fais - it's really loud.  I wear ear plugs only some of the time.. so I just broke down and bought a new helmet last week myself.  Another modular, the Bell Revolver EVO Segment Helmet.  It was $200 - so looking at upgrading my comm too - got the Sena SMH10R and going wireless w/bluetooth.  Hopefully it works out and I'm happy with them both!  Another reason for the bluetooth is so I can do bike-to-bike with one of my good riding buddies.

I have the Sena 10R, I really like its svelte profile. I haven't used its bike to bike feature, but driver to passenger and COM from my phone work well. The only thing is I'm not sure you can get music AND D-P COM both at the same time, but I really need to do my homework more- of course Me and my passenger would like to listen to music and converse.... I'd love to run into Sena at a motorcycle expo- I was looking for them at Americade last summer, but they did not attend as far as I know.

NYbiomed said:
Well, I'm intrigued by this Kabuto, so I search for the hi-vis Yellow in MED and found this:

https://www.2wheel.com/kabuto-ibuki-modular-helmet-grp_100563.html

Seems like all colors and sizes available.
$248.82
FREE shipping
I couldn't resist, bought.... :-[
Never heard of this outfit, but They even gave me $10.00 bucks reward cash towards my next purchase.

Nice link NYB. Ordered and even was able to use my $10 immediately. Revzilla has it for $100 more and they say it's $100 off?

Hey Mike, this better be a great helmet :)  :))

Fais said:
NYbiomed said:
Well, I'm intrigued by this Kabuto, so I search for the hi-vis Yellow in MED and found this:

$248.82
FREE shipping
Never heard of this outfit, but They even gave me $10.00 bucks reward cash towards my next purchase.

Nice link NYB. Ordered and even was able to use my $10 immediately. Revzilla has it for $100 more and they say it's $100 off?

With so many comparisons to the Neotech and it's "made in Japan" DNA, my curiosity did the Vulcan neck pinch to my wallet. I got the MED which is most likely to fit anyway, But I hate manufacturers that use a single shell/mold for everyone creating the bobble-head effect for average sized noggins...besides, it only seems logical that a larger helmet would produce more turbulence and noise. Kabuto does utilize 2 sizes of the exterior shell, to its credit. I've never experienced a quiet modular in reality, this will be my fifth try, with my Lazer Monaco Carbon being the best so far- but I've yet to try the Neotech- the yardstick by which all mods seem to be measured against.

Also, I've always been up for the Pepsi challenge, or the 95% of performance at half the cost mentality.

Well thank you for sharing this as Revzilla was able to price match my order ! :beerchug:
NYbiomed said:

$248.82
FREE shipping

Fais said:
NYbiomed said:

$248.82
FREE shipping

I hope so too Fais :??: I bought the Ibuki after riding with the Shark Evoline 3 and the Ibuki is a better helmet. I really hope you like your as much as I like mine!

:beerchug: just messing with you Mike ;D

It seems we have both been through almost every windscreen and ended up back with VStreams.  I even bought a damaged VStream to cut down to a summer shield  :great: So, if this helmet works for you behind the air of the same screen I use I'm willing to try it. My Neotec has 25,000mi on it in 9 months and it has been LOUD. And the screen has been too short; never know where center is. So, we are all different and different combos work differently. If you look at reviews the majority of people LOVE their Neotec. I guess we aren't all alike?! ;D ;D

Everybody chases the noise issue around the bike with windscreens, vents, holes and then tries a helmet.

One word, earplugs!

Attachments

• Z-0J70fo5oy.JPG
    Z-0J70fo5oy.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 95
Fais, so true about the Neotech. It's puzzling to me why the Neotech is much quieter with the face shield fully up than with it being fully down. But with no bug splat protection, that's not an option.

One time I rode my C14 without the windshield to buy parts at the local Kawi dealership. I was amazed at how quiet the ride was. It also made the bike "feel" more nimble, in my mind. But again, not a good option with no bug splat protection. Plus, I've got neck issues that would prevent me from riding without wind protection for very long.

The one thing I did like about my test ride of a K1600 GTL was that the windshield went much higher than I needed it to for a quiet ride with great wind protection.

I've got the biggest windshield that Cee Bailey makes, and at the size of a barn door, I still need it to be 2" to 4" taller to provide the same quiet space of the Beemer.

Sailor_chic said:
Everybody chases the noise issue around the bike with windscreens, vents, holes and then tries a helmet.

One word, earplugs!

I haven't ridden without earplugs in 20 years:) The same ones I use while drumming - LG Tones - are the best I've ever had.

Just read some articles on the Iron Butt site about wind noise. The guy who owns Aeroflow is an Iron Butt guy and he posted some interesting thoughts. Bigger screen = more noise; for example. His Concours screen is curved out far away from the dash as much as possible - so you get some of the clean air one can feel by riding for a mile without a windscreen. Also the reasoning behind my VStream modding.

It would be nice if the C14 looked as good as it feels without the windscreen. I could live with some bugs in the summer to have that clean air . . . what a great, quiet ride the C14 is with no screen.

The Aeroflow guy has been modding helmets - but to little avail - it seems the helmet can handle the wind blast from one direction - probably like the wind tunnel they test them in But, when we put a big screen on, and add a tailbag, etc, we are dealing with air swirling(whistling) in lots of directions all around us.

Best helmet I had was three helmets ago - the original Nolan flip-up. SHOEIs are good quality = safe. But I have high hopes for this Kabuki based on the reviews by sport tourers who previously had a Neotec. I mean the whistle that comes in around the ears on the Neotec will not be missed.

BTW - I saw an ADV Rider link where a guy had stuffed extra insulation behind the ear-pads of his helmets for reduced noise. That looked like a worthy ten minute project. It's just the things you dial in when you ride long days often. To each their own. I suppose I could slow down, or get a Camry. But, I'll keep getting better at touring on my motorcycle in my own little ways :great:

Sailor_chic said:

One word, earplugs!
Nicole, I do use earplugs and my Neotech is still loud. I'm willing to try the Kabuto at 1/2 the price of a Neotech.

Mike, thanks for starting this thread! Good info! Now to see if Cycle Gear carries them so I can get the right fit.

Sailor_chic said:

One word, earplugs!

Don't you have an aftermarket windscreen, which vents by bulging out allowing air in behind it, and a nice helmet?

Oh, and doesn't the GIVI screen have holes? And the MRA Vario? And the 2015 and up Kawi screen have holes/vents. . .

Some of us are very happy with the way things are yet still look for improvement. Progress!!

Jim, Cycle Gear doesn't have them (online anyway, I looked) - I also wanted to try one on first . . .

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Next year, I might even get an even better helmet :great:

Fais said:
Sailor_chic said:

One word, earplugs!

Don't you have an aftermarket windscreen, which vents by bulging out allowing air in behind it, and a nice helmet?

Oh, and doesn't the GIVI screen have holes? And the MRA Vario? And the 2015 and up Kawi screen have holes/vents. . .

Some of us are very happy with the way things are yet still look for improvement. Progress!!

Jim, Cycle Gear doesn't have them (online anyway, I looked) - I also wanted to try one on first . . .

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Next year, I might even get an even better helmet :great:

Im not looking to start an arguement on whats better, rather just offering my input on what works for me. I just simply stuff my earplugs in my ears and listen to the crazy voices that I hear in my head.

Your completely correct, I have an aftermarket windscreen, but dont know about bulging airflow. I believe it has the same curvature as the stock. I chose my screen for it looks and not the function. The CB is the only one out there that offers a dark tint.

As far as my helmet, I have a Shoei RF 1200. I dont have facts on this, but I would imaging that it has the same airflow characteristics as the Neo tech, so the same noise levels as well?

^^^^ heck no! Modulars suck more when it comes to airflow. We might be stubborn to not wear a good helmet like yours.

And check out the way your windscreen bulges out in front to scoop air behind it. Very nice :great:

No argument. Just a comment about earplugs in a helmet thread where we all have tried every windscreen, and are buying helmets every few years, we have surely tried earplugs.

:nananana: :nananana: :nananana:

I'm sensitive and argumentative tho - so BRING IT  :))

Fais said:
:beerchug: just messing with you Mike ;D

It seems we have both been through almost every windscreen and ended up back with VStreams.  I even bought a damaged VStream to cut down to a summer shield  :great: So, if this helmet works for you behind the air of the same screen I use I'm willing to try it. My Neotec has 25,000mi on it in 9 months and it has been LOUD. And the screen has been too short; never know where center is. So, we are all different and different combos work differently. If you look at reviews the majority of people LOVE their Neotec. I guess we aren't all alike?! ;D ;D

I know you're messin' with me but I still hope you like it as much as I do :great:!

Now, I LOVE my VStream but it was still noisy...until I added the MRA XCreen spoiler to it and that solved the noise issue! Adding the spoiler was the best solution to the whole "windscreen" battle yet! :) So much so that when I get the new bike in about a year I will add the MRA spoiler to the stock screen and call it good :beerchug:!

Bigfoot_16 said:
Sailor_chic said:

One word, earplugs!
Nicole, I do use earplugs and my Neotech is still loud. I'm willing to try the Kabuto at 1/2 the price of a Neotech.

Mike, thanks for starting this thread! Good info! Now to see if Cycle Gear carries them so I can get the right fit.

Hi Jim and I'm glad you appreciate the thread! Unfortunately Cycle Gear doesn't carry the Ibuki. I looked all over when I was buying mine. I found it at a Honda dealership in North Hollywood so I made the 1.5 hour drive through Los Angeles traffic on a FRIDAY so I could try it on! It was definitely worth the drive!

Order 2 sizes from Revzilla and try them on and then return the one that doesn't fit. They cover the return shipping on your first order.

Mike

MikeB_CA said:
I looked all over when I was buying mine. I found it at a Honda dealership in North Hollywood so I made the 1.5 hour drive through Los Angeles traffic on a FRIDAY so I could try it on! It was definitely worth the drive!

I was much luckier, Mike.  I did the "Find a Dealer" search on the Kabuto USA website, and found three in my hometown.  Might just have to check them out.  :great:

Solomookie said:
MikeB_CA said:
I looked all over when I was buying mine. I found it at a Honda dealership in North Hollywood so I made the 1.5 hour drive through Los Angeles traffic on a FRIDAY so I could try it on! It was definitely worth the drive!

I was much luckier, Mike.  I did the "Find a Dealer" search on the Kabuto USA website, and found three in my hometown.  Might just have to check them out.  :great:

Sweet! You're fortunate because dealers that carry the helmet are few and far between!

Solomookie said:
MikeB_CA said:

If they stock some different sized pads you should be in really good shape. Take the price with you from the link in this thread and maybe they'll match $248 too! Great resource 'find a local dealer' I did not use. Good one :beerchug:

Fais, I'm very interested to know your thoughts of how the Ibuki compares with the Neotech. Please include your comments after you receive it. Thanks!

Bigfoot_16 said:
Fais, I'm very interested to know your thoughts of how the Ibuki compares with the Neotech. Please include your comments after you receive it. Thanks!

Jim, I can tell you how they compare...Ibuki fit and Neotech didn't. How's that for a comparison? Neotech wouldn't fit my head in that it had a lot of hot spots when wearing it. The Ibuki's fit and comfort were great right out of the box!

MikeB_CA said:
Jim, I can tell you how they compare...Ibuki fit and Neotech didn't. How's that for a comparison? Neotech wouldn't fit my head in that it had a lot of hot spots when wearing it. The Ibuki's fit and comfort were great right out of the box!
Thanks, Mike. I'm particularly interested in whether or not it's quieter than the Neotech. I found a motorcycle shop about 20 miles away that sells them, so I'll probably visit it and see how it fits me. One review I read about the helmet is that the sun shield slider knob can interfere with the com device placement on the left side. Plus, some folks prefer a D-ring versus a ratchet-type chin strap. I have no preference, so that's no big deal to me.

Bigfoot_16 said:
MikeB_CA said:
Thanks, Mike. I'm particularly interested in whether or not it's quieter than the Neotech. I found a motorcycle shop about 20 miles away that sells them, so I'll probably visit it and see how it fits me. One review I read about the helmet is that the sun shield slider knob can interfere with the com device placement on the left side. Plus, some folks prefer a D-ring versus a ratchet-type chin strap. I have no preference, so that's no big deal to me.

My pleasure Jim!

I can tell you it's quieter than the Shark Evoline 3 I was wearing. Also, the "Wake Stabilizer" on the helmet really helps smooth out the air no matter which way your head is turned! Opening the vents up top is like rolling down the windows...loud so don't expect quiet when they're open but they do vent very well!

I have my comms mounted on the left side of my helmet and have ZERO issues activating my sun screen lever. It's never been an issue. I have the SENA SMH10 mounted there and it works great!

I had a meeting about 45 minutes away this evening. It was the first ride since I can remember without the tail-bag. Wow, it was quieter than quiet.

When I traded in old Betty for new I didn't have the tail bag but I had the stock screen, so there was a difference today that makes me rethink my packing strategy. I might ditch the tail bag and gear behind me and switch to having everything behind me.

Anyway, was thinking of some posts here and all the pages of stuff I read the other night when I should have been doing other stuff  :-[ lol.

I could have my helmet as soon as Wed - I'll hope to report good news soon  :great:

MikeB_CA said:

Crap!  I've got a Shoei shaped head and my Neotec fits perfectly.  Which by your description means the Ibuki probably will not.  I'll check them out anyway, but my optimism definitely has taken a hit.    :(

Solomookie said:
MikeB_CA said:

Crap!  I've got a Shoei shaped head and my Neotec fits perfectly.  Which by your description means the Ibuki probably will not.  I'll check them out anyway, but my optimism definitely has taken a hit.    :(

Haha...Solomookie, the Shoei issue on my head could have been a "padding" issue. The word is the Ibuki fits along the lines of the Shoei but for me was much more comfortable than the Shoei I tried on.

BTW, I just noticed my name for the forum was "Mike" and is now "MikeB_CA"...when did that happen :eek:?

Fais said:
Kawi Ken said:
These Kabuto Ibuki's are on close out now at Revzilla for $359.Just ordered one. :)
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kabuto-ibuki-helmet

Shoes has all metal clasps and latches in the modular action. Others have plastic. Is this a modular with metal hardware? I'll have a look later. My Neotec is loud loud loud....

Fais, I have a good feeling you're going to like the mechanisms for the chin bar and the sun shield on the Ibuki. They're very solid!

Bigfoot_16 said:
Hey Fais, have you had a break from the rain to try out your new Ibuki?

Hey Jim - yes I have. Rode 4 hours yesterday - and in some rain - have 8 hours today and again tomorrow so I'll really have a feel soon.

I am blown away really. The quality is high on build and feel. The sound seems slightly more isolated than any other modular I've ever tried. The large fits me snug and I'll probably go for XL cheek pads if these don't break in. How a company can come out and compete with Shoei and the rest is beyond me. Awesome helmet and at $248 I will be a 2wheels customer again.

Bonus - it's a great looking helmet.
Con - the sunvisor could come down further. Plenty of provisional space for sunglasses so not a biggie. And, I'll probably get used to it. 

Not only am I trying the new helmet but also my summer VStream. The combo will keep me very cool in the summer. Heat makes me impatient and so I think this will be the ticket for Texas and FL riding.

Thanks for your initial impressions, Fais. Several reviews I've read on RevZilla stated that there's very little effect when turning their head sideways. With my Neotech, I can almost get whiplash at 80 MPH doing that. Maybe it's because the Neotech is rather oblong in its shape.

I'm interested to know your opinion about the noise level between the Neotech and the Ibuki. Let me know after you've had more time to evaluate it. Thanks!

^^ Just got mine today, very nice, very happy! Fit and finish is the best I've owned, it's as light as my Lazer Carbon Monaco that doesn't come with a drop sun visor- which it doesn't need because it came with a Transitions visor. Just so comfortable and the way the pinlock fits into the recess of the visor is a nice touch. I like ratchet chin straps, quick and easy, but that may be otherwise for others who only believe DD is the way to go. Going up to 60deg today, so hopefully I can test it out. This will probably become my primary helmet, so I'm going to pull the Sena 10R from the Gmax and install it in this Ibuki. Happily, the helmet doesn't seem any bigger than it needs to be, but the next size up, LRG, uses a larger exterior that some complain of bobble head.

Question: Does the pinlock ever need to get replaced, other than because of scratches/abuse?

Man I love mine. I flip(pun intended) a few cars a year and this was one I couldnt sell. Bought it with a blown read end, 4 ruined tires and it was headed for repo. Now it's a 2-seater, Bilstien suspension, made a cushion to level the rear for max camping comfort. Nicest, newest car I've ever owned personally. TRD Edition and all:)

I believe I have the best car and bike for me :great: I wouldn't trade either  :beerchug:

Bigfoot_16 said:
One time I rode my C14 without the windshield to buy parts at the local Kawi dealership. I was amazed at how quiet the ride was. It also made the bike "feel" more nimble, in my mind. But again, not a good option with no bug splat protection. Plus, I've got neck issues that would prevent me from riding without wind protection for very long.

Hmmm... This makes one wonder. 
Maybe the copperdawg is the ultimate way to go?

Fais said:
Man I love mine. I flip(pun intended) a few cars a year and this was one I couldnt sell. Bought it with a blown read end, 4 ruined tires and it was headed for repo. Now it's a 2-seater, Bilstien suspension, made a cushion to level the rear for max camping comfort. Nicest, newest car I've ever owned personally. TRD Edition and all:)

I believe I have the best car and bike for me :great: I wouldn't trade either  :beerchug:

TRD edition!?!?  Very nice!  Love mine too .. can't believe how happy I've been with it.  It's paid for and holding its value very well.  Now you need to get some proper off-road tires on it!  :D

Okay - enough thread hijacking!

2ZP6_8urAGfn_OATEe-vfwIYSqsFecMTnjVjU_hGrpbS4dAWg7QSVTi3ufEjNuS6-VyEnAw5uRWCT_ytj9icKSsg9EXkTle_3ekJpbyZn8MBYKko-NBjzU6JCfIk5Vvpu4OG0CzrWbYAU4nX2Znmm225CXJMSg22VBHDiOSTx3ji8dxC-bGcPMlr5HScPL81QuJjJK_bdE9wpOn9Dk3nNzBkPqsPPuxZLEDpoztSVwwmPyg9LaIDpMNRngpqX79KBAkOOi6b0Yh9lkRDY8cYk5Je8LuzfX0PorzPgSKu0FEYVH_q3JQBahOECw0PTWFMKIcA8A-udYFN0dAODC9lD3wPdMXAcqTitF59khWrA5TUFaVuxsr3s0k91qA_i9R_fzR3JFGeC6i7sfq12pkXeLSa9AU8WUbWMBGSJe47G_cLvFRDlE59nVYuEZR2ayD-94WBAPu1UA_1DMdIrHvxzaXQKE4xSNHZH4yJkIvo8V-gkC8SAS2g-4dhS8P4xV0rLn3yOq9Q0KP6LRKQRxVDyvqnPuWOdv_ZsiFOkfuItCRq2WAUOiB1NY0ancilHLGx=w1280-h816-no

talcon said:

My Bell helmet turns out to be a bit tight on the forehead - must be my egg-shaped head.  I'm going to give it some time and see if it "settles" like my last helmet did.  If I had seen the reviews on the Ibuki before I purchased it, I probably would have gone that route.  I do like all the features on the Bell modular though.

Over 1,000 miles now and I love this helmet.

Jim, I have turned my head to the side many times to be able to report: it is very calm at a 90* angle to the direction of travel.

Pinlock recess in the shield is cool. Clasp is cool. Looks awesome. Large shield offers a large view.

Found it even cheaper @ www.motorcyclecloseouts.com for $238 - wow - I was sure my next helmet would need a 2nd mortgage. Nope.

Sidenote, My Neotec isn't a bad helmet. Just a bad fit for me. As with all farkles we will have to find the one that suits us personally. I just got very lucky as my last three helmets were $$$ down the drain. Some helmet builder in Japan has my shape head :great:

Fais said:

Jim, I have turned my head to the side many times to be able to report: it is very calm at a 90* angle to the direction of travel.

Pinlock recess in the shield is cool. Clasp is cool. Looks awesome. Large shield offers a large view.

Found it even cheaper @ www.motorcyclecloseouts.com for $238 - wow - I was sure my next helmet would need a 2nd mortgage. Nope.

Sidenote, My Neotec isn't a bad helmet. Just a bad fit for me. As with all farkles we will have to find the one that suits us personally. I just got very lucky as my last three helmets were $$$ down the drain. Some helmet builder in Japan has my shape head :great:

So glad you like it! I've had mine for a while and still loving it! Isn't that "Wake Bar" awesome!!?? You can turn your head and there's NO DIFFERENCE in the wind across the helmet! And you're right, the helmet looks awesome!

Fais said:

OK, Fais. You've got me thinking more about this. I measured my head the other day. It's 6 1/4" wide and 8" long. What are the measurements of your head? It's too bad helmet manufacturers don't take these measurements into account - at least what I've seen.

I'm glad to hear this helmet works well for you!

I'm within 1/2" of those dimensions according to a quick measure - my sisters say I am an egghead ...

:rotflmao: at myself. Hey, any laughter is good laughter. At me, with me, glad you're smilin'!

I bought an Ibuki last week from 2wheels.com.  It is quite a bit quieter than the Gmax that I have been using and is lighter too.  The build quality looks good and the wake stabilizers really do work.  My head measured 23-5/8 and I bought a large based on their sizing guide.  The fit is good so I think you can trust their sizes.  The airflow is good and the open and closed positions are oblivious when you are wearing the helmet.  The only downside is that it is wider than the Gmax and will not fit into a C10 saddlebag.

Uncle Rob said:
I bought an Ibuki last week from 2wheels.com.  It is quite a bit quieter than the Gmax that I have been using and is lighter too.  The build quality looks good and the wake stabilizers really do work.  My head measured 23-5/8 and I bought a large based on their sizing guide.  The fit is good so I think you can trust their sizes.  The airflow is good and the open and closed positions are oblivious when you are wearing the helmet.  The only downside is that it is wider than the Gmax and will not fit into a C10 saddlebag.

You have the new helmet...now time for a new C14 so you can put it in the side bag :great: :beerchug:!

MikeB_CA said:
Uncle Rob said:

You have the new helmet...now time for a new C14 so you can put it in the side bag :great: :beerchug:!

I am treating C14s like cocaine.  If I never try it, I won't know what I'm missing.

Not only am I trying the new helmet but also my summer VStream. The combo will keep me very cool in the summer. Heat makes me impatient and so I think this will be the ticket for Texas and FL riding.

[/quote]

Did you custom cut that windscreen?

^^^^ yessir - I've cut many and this one is pretty close to perfect.

I've used a bandsaw and belt sander one after the other. I like to tape the area I want to cut and cut along a sharpie line...

Door edge trim on the lip helps hide my haste :great:

fordtruck said:
You guys convinced me.  I ordered one from 2Wheels.com as well.  I can't wait to try it out!

No one can argue that it's not lightweight, plush, quality and comes with Pinlock, all for $238. It's a bargain. I got the hi-viz and can really say it the best helmet I've ever owned, with that said, I've never tried a $600+ Schuberth or Shoie. I wouldn't mind throwing a few reflective stickers on it if I can only find some that I like....

Uncle Rob said:
The only downside is that it is wider than the Gmax and will not fit into a C10 saddlebag.

That's a deal breaker for me.  Unless I can convince Murph to make some more of those Shad side case mounts for C-10s.  The Shad has the same shape as a 14's case, so there is much more room inside.

Help me, Obiwan Murph; you're my only hope... 

Well, hope these are really good, I just ordered also one also, what a timely post, just about ready to start shopping for a new helmet, I think my current HJC is like ten years old now!

I've now had some time to try out this helmet with both of my bikes.  My other bike is a 1977 KZ1000.  I'm really impressed with the helmet.  It fits just as well as the Shoei's that I've worn for years.  Like others have stated, you can turn your head sideways and the wind has almost no affect on it.  Amazing.  I mounted my Sena 10 in it and made a phone call.  My wife said that she couldn't hear any wind noise even though I was at highway speed.  The only thing I don't like is the chin bar release is on the left.  It's right where the Sena boom mike is.  It's not a big deal, but I think it would be better if the release was in the center or on the right.

I'm getting ready to order one of the Kabuto helmets based on comments here on the forum.  I would appreciate any comments on the sizing for this helmet.  I typically wear a size L, so is the sizing similar to other brands or should I go bigger/smaller?

slarson said:
I'm getting ready to order one of the Kabuto helmets based on comments here on the forum.  I would appreciate any comments on the sizing for this helmet.  I typically wear a size L, so is the sizing similar to other brands or should I go bigger/smaller?

I'd say the sizing is right-on, so yes, large if that is what you normally wear.

NYbiomed said:
slarson said:

I'd say the sizing is right-on, so yes, large if that is what you normally wear.

+1

630 miles in the rain today and I wanted to report that it is still impressing me. No earplugs, no headphones for hours today.

Fit for me was super tight and broke in nicely. I ordered a L and then ordered XL cheek pads for the winter - when I wear a thicker beanie/head sock.

In regards to sizing, I used Kabuto's sizing chart and it was spot on.  I'm pretty sure that I wore a large in Shoei, but I'm a medium with the Kabuto. 

A buddy of mine received his helmet today.  He called me from the interstate, and I'm not exaggerating here, I had no clue he was calling from the bike.  Absolutely zero wind noise.  He's using the new Sena 20s so that might make a difference. 

He also showed me how to route the boom mike around the chin bar release to where it doesn't get in the way.  I haven't tried it out yet, but I may have to revise my complaint about the release being on the left side.  Again, this is just a minor complaint that in no way makes me wish I hadn't bought it.  It's a great helmet.

fordtruck said:
In regards to sizing, I used Kabuto's sizing chart and it was spot on.  I'm pretty sure that I wore a large in Shoei, but I'm a medium with the Kabuto. 

A buddy of mine received his helmet today.  He called me from the interstate, and I'm not exaggerating here, I had no clue he was calling from the bike.  Absolutely zero wind noise.  He's using the new Sena 20s so that might make a difference. 

He also showed me how to route the boom mike around the chin bar release to where it doesn't get in the way.  I haven't tried it out yet, but I may have to revise my complaint about the release being on the left side.  Again, this is just a minor complaint that in no way makes me wish I hadn't bought it.  It's a great helmet.

I can tell you from experience that regardless of what SENA model is being used it's going to be quiet in that helmet! People I talk to while riding (SENA SMH10) are amazed at how clear I sound at highway speeds of 80-ish mph.  The helmet's just plain awesome!

I ordered a Kabuto Ibuki from 2wheels and should get it this week.  My question, with all of the great reviews, why is this helmet getting closed out by the on-line shops??

SATXRIDER said:
I ordered a Kabuto Ibuki from 2wheels and should get it this week.  My question, with all of the great reviews, why is this helmet getting closed out by the on-line shops??

Who knows and who cares...grab it while you can! It's a great helmet and when the writers reviewed the helmet last year it got high marks in pretty much every category, including it's safety rating. The only thing I'm really bummed about is that I was told the "mirrored sun visor" that they for the helmet in Japan would be available for sale here in the U.S. but that's not actually going to happen. I want a mirrored sun visor sooooo bad :'(!

I went to a BMW dealer 45 minutes from  my house and they stock the Ibuki helmets, not sure if they will ship and I did not ask a price, but I got a good deal on a jacket there ,cheaper then any on line shop.

Helmet came in last week and had a chance to ride with it this past weekend.  Feels like a high quality helmet and for $250 will be hard to beat.  I measured my head at 23cm, so right in the middle for sizing between M & L.  I went with medium and it is a good fit.  Since the helmet is modular, the cheek pads are not as tight as you experience with a full face.  Shoei's for some reason just feel too tight on my head.  Not the case with the Kabuto.  Definitely quieter than my previous helmet, but will keep the ear plugs in cause the wind noise is noticeable, especially with the top vent open.  But happy with the purchase, thanks for the thread, saved me at least $300.

I ordered the Kabuto Ibuki from 2Wheel and received it in 2 days.  Had a chance to try it out this weekend, what an awesome helmet!  Comfortable and much quieter than my old modular helmet, I can now hear my Bluetooth music even at 80+.  The strap buckle can easily be put on with gloves, not like the usual D-rings.  Ventilation on top and back work well, although you get a bit more noise.  Thanks to the COG members who recommended this! :)

I like my Shoei neotec imenent helmet, BUT I went to CycleGear store yesterday and my buddy was tryin on helmets, so I showed him what I have ,the guy working In. The store could not believe I was wearing a xtra large helmet, after trying  on three different sizes he told me I need a medium In that helmet,not knowing much about sizing and the person who sild me mine I guess the one I have is to big and I plan to buy another helmet,probably the ibuki,  anyone need a xtra large helmet with 700 miles on it?

So today I finally got around to pulling my Sena SMH10R from my back up/passenger helmet (a G-MaX) and installing it into this Ibuki, what a PITA!!....there are so few flat planes on the exterior, that it's difficult to stick the COM system and route wires. I finally made it happen, but I was kinda forced to pick away at some of the foam in the very back of the interior to create a cavity to stash the battery, normally I stuck it on the exterior/back with double sided tape. I'm sure there's a bit of compromise, I mean picking 1/4" of foam away that it meant to cushion your head in an accident may not be the wisest thing I've done- the recess is about 1/2 the size of a 5 stick pact of Wrigleys Juicy Fruit.....I just didn't seem to have any alternative unless I was willing to shell out the extra dough and buy a different COM system that mounts with a clamp or something, but I so like the 10R's svelte profile and it sounds fantastic! There are recesses in the Ibuki that is molded in to receive the speakers, but the Sena comes with 1/4" spacers (I've never used them previously) that allow you to fill that void and place the speakers closer to the ears. This is the closest I've come to having true fidelity in a helmet, the other 2 installs I've done sounded fine, but I've only just found that I was missing out on the fullest capability of the Sena SMH-10R. I was rocking out to some CSN in my house with the helmet on, lol....
:))

Glad to hear everyone's liking the helmet! One can only hope that when posting about something like a helmet and claiming how good it is that when others try it they feel the same way. I'd feel horrible if all of you bought the helmet and hated it...that would suck!

Well, since I keep finding good deals on other gear (seat, tank bag, exhaust...), I keep setting myself back to square one towards getting my C3 Pro.
SO!  I pray that this helmet is as good as you guys are claiming.  I just bought one, Revzilla matched price.  As well as I picked up the Sena 10c to go with it.  Still paid less than the C3 Pro alone.
But I had to do something, because this heap of crap Z1R Eclipse that I have been riding with is driving me crazy.

Oh well....either way, too late now!  lol!!!!!

Helmet showed up today along with the 10c.
Life got in the way, and I wasn't able to go for an initial ride just yet to try it out.  But I did get the 10c all mounted up and it's all ready to go.

First thoughts?  Much lighter than my POS Z1R Eclipse, yet feels way more solid. 
Fit and finish are great.  However I did notice that I have to force it to sit on my head straight.  It is a little off.  But that will correct.
The face latching mechanism is very solid and authorative.  As well as the pop down dark visor.
I really like the ease of the chin strap!  I have the old school snap/quick release on my Eclipse.  Still easier than the double ring, but man that new mechanism is smooth.

Can't wait to break away tomorrow and go for a ride.

Graphicjunkie said:
However I did notice that I have to force it to sit on my head straight.  It is a little off. 

FTB530 said:
Revzilla video says this helmet is 3.9 lbs, all the places I looked says 9lbs! Can't be 9 lbs.

NINE pounds!  Maybe that's why Junkie's won't sit straight... it's so darn heavy that it's making his head slump!  :)

3.9 pounds is around what a Neotec weighs, so yeah... that's probably right.

FTB530 said:
Revzilla video says this helmet is 3.9 lbs, all the places I looked says 9lbs! Can't be 9 lbs.

LOL...9 lbs! Your head would be resting on the windscreen if it were 9 lbs :D! Chiropractors would be much busier if that's the helmet weighed ::)! It's lighter than the Shark Evoline I was wearing before the Ibuki!

Although I do still really like my helmet, I have already noticed the interior padding out, and noise levels increase.  And it is STILL exponentially quieter than my previous helmet!

But it does sit straight on me now.  ;)  or maybe my head isnt on straight.....

Drank the koolaid and bought the Ibuki.  I took a 7 hour ride Friday, and could not be happier.  Great price and fast shipping from 2wheel.  Helmet feels like it should cost a lot more.  Thanks for starting the thread!