• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Helmet, New Experience

SATXRIDER said:
I ordered a Kabuto Ibuki from 2wheels and should get it this week.  My question, with all of the great reviews, why is this helmet getting closed out by the on-line shops??

I called the distributor, Western Power Sports, today to ask this question and was told that they were no longer
going to carry the Kabuto helmets. I couldn't get anymore info from the person and he became very tight lipped.
I asked about the warranty and he said I would probably be fine if I purchased one.

Revzilla seems to be out of stock on most sizes/colors but a few other online retailers have a fair amount available.

I'm temped to order and give them a try regardless of the import issues since everyone on here seems to
like them. I'm sure some other company will pick up the importing if there is profit to be made.

After reading these posts about the Ibuki, I decided it was time for a change from my black HJC.  I wanted to go with the yellow, to reduce the heat from the sun, and to be more visible and match my new jacket.  Seems I waited too long.  The rep I talked to said they still make them but won't be selling them in the US anymore, but you can get them in the UK.  ???  strange.  So, in my quest for a more aerodynamic, light, hi vis helmet, I found a different kabuto model, the Kamui.  Not modular, but still has the drop down internal visor.  Reviews were mostly positive and I couldn't believe the price...$145.88 at 2Wheel.com.  Will give it a shot.  I didn't use the modular part of the helmet to bring the chin bar up very much anyways.  Just going through the security gate at work.  My riding buddies at work say they never take off their full face helmets, so I should be fine.
Lesson learned:  if you see something you like and want to try, GET IT before you are unable to.  I waited too long, and large yellow are hard to come by. :-[

juve said:
The rep I talked to said they still make them but won't be selling them in the US anymore, but you can get them in the UK.  ???  strange. 

"Back in the day", Marushin was a Japanese helmet brand that I really liked.  They got tired of the liability laws & litigation tendencies of America and they just stopped importing.  Silver lining... I switched to Shoei and it turns out I have a Shoei head.  Great fitting helmets ever since. 

juve said:
After reading these posts about the Ibuki, I decided it was time for a change from my black HJC.  I wanted to go with the yellow, to reduce the heat from the sun, and to be more visible and match my new jacket.  Seems I waited too long.  The rep I talked to said they still make them but won't be selling them in the US anymore, but you can get them in the UK.  ???  strange.  So, in my quest for a more aerodynamic, light, hi vis helmet, I found a different kabuto model, the Kamui.  Not modular, but still has the drop down internal visor.  Reviews were mostly positive and I couldn't believe the price...$145.88 at 2Wheel.com.  Will give it a shot.  I didn't use the modular part of the helmet to bring the chin bar up very much anyways.  Just going through the security gate at work.  My riding buddies at work say they never take off their full face helmets, so I should be fine.
Lesson learned:  if you see something you like and want to try, GET IT before you are unable to.  I waited too long, and large yellow are hard to come by. :-[

I just picked up the white version of this. I love it. I can move my head all around and feel no change. My previous HJC felt like a sail. I picked this helmet up off this recommendation so thank you.

Bought a Kabuto FF5V about a year ago and have found it to be well suited to my round head. Very quiet. VERY comfortable. Great Value. Old helmet Arai Quantum 2 and could not find one to fit me until the Kabuto. Great choice.

Glad to hear they are still available somewhere - that increases my chances of finding a new face-shield . . .

I scratched mine :mad: right in the center  :-[

I hate to put the downer on the conversation.  But I'm starting to like mine less and less.
The more I ride with it, the faster it is getting padded out and the noise levels are getting right up there with my old POS Z1R Eclipse.  Yes, padding out will happen. But it started out extremely tight(my noggin must be on the larger side of the range), and it seems to just keep getting worse and worse.  I would think that it would have maxed out a while back.
I've also noticed that the tinted visor has lost it's authoritative snap when you rise or lower it.
Looks like I will have to start saving for the Schuberth again.

;)  http://www.biker-land.de/Helmets/SCHUBERTH-C3-PRO-Flip-up-helmet-matte-black.html

I've noticed it to be a bit louder as well- maybe changing out the side/ear pads to the next larger size, which would actually be for smaller heads might help? Truthfully, I don't think Ive ever experienced a truly quiet modular, I believe ear buds/plugs are the only sure way to quiet things down. All in all,  still pretty happy with my Hi-Viz yellow- I actually just mounted a GoPro Sessions camera to it on Friday  ;D

Well I'd sure like to know if that truly is the case (all modulars loud).  Cause if so, I can think of other things to drop a grand into vs the C3 pro helmet.
I like thebstyle of this one better.
As for the ear pads, I have the Sena 10c, which has speakers in front of two separate layers of foam padding.  I love not having to mess with ear buds when putting it on.  And the speakers are excellent quality! 
Maybe tume to switch to full face.....RF1200.  ;)

Almost 20k on mine and love it.

GJunkie - since you are using speakers and not earbuds you might try earbuds from a music store. They block out wind noise only and let the sound from your speakers come through. I haven't slept in a few days so I'm drawing a blank on the brand. I want to say 'hearos' - they come from Guitar Center around my parts and are cheap. I used them for a long time before I switched to LG Tone blue tooth earbuds. Now I use them when drumming with headphones on....

Hope this helps. My only complaint is that I can't find a replacement visor. Was used to hanging the helmet on the rear peg but forgot I lowered the rear pegs before Helen and when I hung it there the visor was touching the concrete for a while :(

Yea, I will probably have to revert back to buds.  I have always used skull candy brand.  Pretty cheap, but surprisingly good sound and low end.  Most importantly, very comfortable for hours. But before going with the 10c, I was going to have some custom hobbies made.  Thought this helmet would be quiet enough to get away from the hassle of buds.  Was at first....

Graphicjunkie said:
Yea, I will probably have to revert back to buds.  I have always used skull candy brand.  Pretty cheap, but surprisingly good sound and low end.  Most importantly, very comfortable for hours. But before going with the 10c, I was going to have some custom hobbies made.  Thought this helmet would be quiet enough to get away from the hassle of buds.  Was at first....

Hearos are just pich deadeners - try them ($10) and keep your speakers. Might be all you need and no cables or new electronics:)

My buddy scratched his visor and was able to get his local dealer to order a replacement from this website:  http://catalogs.wps-inc.com/2016/apparel/#92/z

Fais said:

GJunkie - since you are using speakers and not earbuds you might try earbuds from a music store. They block out wind noise only and let the sound from your speakers come through. I haven't slept in a few days so I'm drawing a blank on the brand. I want to say 'hearos' - they come from Guitar Center around my parts and are cheap. I used them for a long time before I switched to LG Tone blue tooth earbuds. Now I use them when drumming with headphones on....

Hope this helps. My only complaint is that I can't find a replacement visor. Was used to hanging the helmet on the rear peg but forgot I lowered the rear pegs before Helen and when I hung it there the visor was touching the concrete for a while :(

fordtruck said:
My buddy scratched his visor and was able to get his local dealer to order a replacement from this website:  http://catalogs.wps-inc.com/2016/apparel/#92/z

Fais said:

Thank you very much  :beerchug:

They are out of stock but will be back with a new distributor and website in a few months. The guy on the phone is sending me a used face shield at no charge to one of my destinations in Washington this weekend. Excellent service and only because I found a 1-800 number in that catalog.

Probably 4,500 miles on a scratched visor and I am stoked!

My new Ibuki arrived today. I had a chance to go for a short ride to try it out  and had to beat a pop up shower back home.
  I like everything about the helmet except the strap.
It fits super comfortable and fit me perfect. The top vent allows a lot of air to pass through. thats a plus.
Coming from a Scorpion exo400 the difference in wind pressure on my neck is night and day better so is the noise.
  The scorpion wind noise was teribble and while the Ibuki does have noise when the vents are open its not the same.
  Its noise on top of my head instead of busting my ears. I did this ride with out ear plugs just to see but ear plugs are a must.Not because the helmet was overly loud but because they are a must.
  Back to the strap . I wish it has the standard d ring instead of the quick release. My problem is I have a big adams apple so the quick release is a little uncomfortable.. i hope I find a way to make it work .  Never had an issue with the standard d ring type.
  Everything else is great . Overall besides the strap this is a winner.

Well now I am on the hunt again.  The tab that locks the visor down popped off while riding.
Might have to go back to the ways of the ol'  Shoei full face. 

Graphicjunkie said:
Well now I am on the hunt again.  The tab that locks the visor down popped off while riding.
Might have to go back to the ways of the ol'  Shoei full face.

That little tab was broken on mine out of the box.. I didnt have any issues riding with it . ended up selling it to a friend.
I showed that to her and she didnt have a problem with it . waiting to hear her report when she rides.

With my new job, I have been spending way more time on the bike commuting.  It has completely change my mind on this helmet. 

Comfort - completely padded out now.  Huge difference.
Noise levels have sky rocketed.
Build quality is showing its ugly face.  Now the dark visor won't stay all the way up either.  It creeps down.
I don't flip up the face guard hardly ever....but what once was solid...now there is even a little wiggle there.

Garbage.

For the record, I don't slam anything either.  And the helmet is stored gently on my tank bag in the garage, or tucked in a saddle bag when I leave the bike out and about.

2wheel only had X-small left but I found a large on MotorcycleCloseouts.com.  They only had red in large but it was $224.95. (Free shipping) I just bought a 2015 Concours and I only have an open face helmet I use on my Harley and really wanted a modular so I pulled the trigger.  Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it works out.

LOL, yeah I looked and looked myself.  Ended up with the same, a Large Red from MC Closeouts.  Hell of a price though!  I've only ridden with it a half dozen times or so, but it's really comfortable so far and very quiet!  I can talk on the phone over my Scala WITH my foam earplugs in, and I have no problem hearing the caller.  It's the quietest helmet I've ever used, so far...

BTW, the Scala initially tweaked the shell JUST enough to make the sun visor not want to work.  But I adjusted it out, a little at a time, until the visor worked smoothly.  No problems thus far with looseness on the Scala unit or any additional binding with the visor, so all seems good!

I read some bad reviews about MC Closeouts. Did you have any problems?  Most of the complaints were that they charge 10% restocking and do not pay for return shipping.  I was very careful to use their sizing chart so hopefully I won't have to exchange the helmet.

Ordered it on the 21st, got it on the 23rd.  Can't complain about the shipping.  Helmet is a little snug but I'm sure that it will break in over time.  Nice quality.

I have never had to return anything to them.  But as far as accuracy of product information, shipping, and of course PRICE, I have been very happy with them.

Have ridden the full summer with mine now,  I will call it an improvement over my old HJC but not by any great degree. I will have to say that if I had paid the full list price for it I would not be happy.  Happy with the modular concept-can put it on and off without taking my glasses off if I so choose. I knew from reading about it the sun visor would not come down all the way, fact is the built in sun visor is pretty worthless, I have only used it  if I happen to get caught in a setting sun and then you have to tip your head a bit, that was disappointing. Have gotten used to the strap. Ah, somewhat more quiet I guess but not a lot.  That top vent indeed works better than the vent system on my old one, chin vent-not sure it does anything.  Mine still seems as nice as when new and fits the same but I only rode about 3k miles this summer.

So....better than my ten year old HJC (full face) ....my guess is its about as good as most any other $200.00 or so helmet....IMHO I would have hated to have paid the full $449.00 for it.

Take my report with a grain of salt as I have not ridden with any of the other helmet brands other than the previously mentioned ten year old HJC.   

I could not agree more with VisionDonNebr.  Same HJC story from me.  The new helmet is better, but not great.  I blacked out my sun shade completely with black tape, and that solution has worked great for me.  I wear sunglasses when I ride anyway, and the sun shade did little to help when I really needed it.  The "solid" shade now works like a sun visor in your car.  Perfect for heading into a rising or setting sun.  I would do that on any helmet sun shade I buy in the future.  Riding into the sun is really dangerous, especially on our winding mountain roads in Arizona, where most drivers act like they are cannonball run participants.

I am so glade I saw this post, as I was about to purchase that very helmet this week.  I kind of thought this was a cheaper version of a Shoei; at least that is how they are trying to sell it.  I was even told the factory is located on Shoei's manufacturing site and the two companies share idea's with each other.  Looking at the helmets side by side I see several similarities between the two.  However there are some real differences also, like the visor which is much smaller and not as smooth.  The material is softer but does not feel sturdy.  I can not speak to the noise level of the helmet and would be happy to hear that this helmet is as quiet as a Shoei or Schuberth for less than 1/2 the money.  This helmet is now 1/2 price, which really makes me wonder because the last helmet I purchased from this dealer had a manufacturing date of 2011 which was 6 years prior to my purchase and that helmet failed miserably.  I do need a quality Modular that will not break the bank and has Moderate noise levels.  So I hope with the new riding season there will be more great ideas out there. 

Curt,
look at the new scorpion AT950. I love mine. Less than half the cost of my Neo Tec Imminent so I won't be as upset when I crash offroadthis august and scratch it. Pretty light also considering it is a modular.
Matt

I have had the Kabuta helmet for over a year now with no issues.  The only complaint I have is I can't remove the inner sun visor to clean it.  Does not come loose and I am afraid I will damage it if I pull too hard.  So for half the price of the Shoei's, I am happy

As a $200 helmet it is certainly worth a try.  However it appears that all those box stores are getting rid of this Brand and I do not think they are buying more.  Maybe Kabuto is getting out of the US market once again.  I would rate the quality as low to medium  when compared to other helmets.  It is not a premium helmet in my opinion, more like an attempt to copy a premium helmet on a low budget.

Ok I was in the Market for a modular helmet when I read all the post about this helmet.  I was trying to decide between a Scorpion exo 3000gt and a Ls2 strobe.  I don't want to break the bank as I already have a few other helmets.  Well I look at my local dealer which is discounting the helmet for about $400 and thought I did not want to take a chance for a helmet I know little about.  However I found that e-bay currently has this model for $149 and thought how can you go wrong for the price.  Also I saw them at Motorcycle close out for about $200.  Soon as it comes in I will give you my feed back on comfort and quiet.  I don't know about everyone else but I wish these manufactures would concentrate more on reducing the noise on these things and yes I use a noise cancelling earplug so I can still hear things going on around me. 

Got the Helmet and took it on a 60 mile ride today in high winds.  1. First impression is that the Helmet build is good but not great.  2.  The interior is soft but not premium.  3.  The Paint is really good.  4.  The face sheild is thick and clear and the visor is too short but dark.  5.  The fit is comfortable with no pressure points (soft foam but not memory foam).  Riding at about 80 the wind catches the Helmet, it could use a spoiler or two.  6. The noise is quiet until you reach about 70 mph. Then it settles in at about average and take it to 80 and the noise increases proportionately.  With an intermediate oval shaped head a medium fits pretty good with little or no breakin time. This helmet is a good buy at $250 or less, but I do not see paying more for it.  For my my head shape the Ls 2 Strobe fits perfect except some of the pieces fill cheap.  The Scorpion Exo 3000Gt feel more premium than even the Shoei to me, so I think I will purchase that helmet as well and use the Kabuto as a back up, although the Kabuto could also be an all day helmet as well.