• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Pannier retaining brackets SOLD

U want a close up pic with them installed...

Once u figure them out ull want to keep them, unless ur planning on pinning ur bags for extra piece of mind...

I've heard of these, can you give a quick explanation and maybe some pics installed, where to get and how much to buy?

I've heard of these, can you give a quick explanation and maybe some pics installed, where to get and how much to buy?
I dont think they are made any more. Another alternative is

Attachments

• F671A6A3-A145-4E68-84EF-9C44FCE88CDE.jpeg
    F671A6A3-A145-4E68-84EF-9C44FCE88CDE.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 7CE57D37-28FE-49B4-A765-1CDABF0585ED.jpeg
    7CE57D37-28FE-49B4-A765-1CDABF0585ED.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 89
Group was / is there a general loss / failure of locks happening or user error from not properly locking bags onto the machine.

90% of the way to 50K miles, bags on / off machine hundreds of times and never any hint of an issue. Note we ride everywhere with bags on, whether screaming šŸ˜± on ā€˜closedā€™ roads, terribly bumping horrible eastern PA roads and even an occasional 4 wheeler trail.

In addition, loaded quite frequently.

Wayne

Group was / is there a general loss / failure of locks happening or user error from not properly locking bags onto the machine.

90% of the way to 50K miles, bags on / off machine hundreds of times and never any hint of an issue. Note we ride everywhere with bags on, whether screaming šŸ˜± on ā€˜closedā€™ roads, terribly bumping horrible eastern PA roads and even an occasional 4 wheeler trail.

In addition, loaded quite frequently.

Wayne
So here is my take on thisā€¦ I bought a ā€˜13 used 1 year ago. Three weeks in to owning, I choose to ride on on one of the few fun roads around here. I was rollin, went over sink hole in the road, my instinct was to get out of the seat before I get through this, it was a heavy jarring for sure. Next thing I see in side mirrors is BOTH bags flying through the air and tumbling down the roadā€¦ I was heartbroken for sure. Went back and got them, rode home, had them painted then learned how to pin. . Some on here will say I didnā€™t have them latched properlyā€¦ I say BS. What I believed happened is the hardware on the bags latching mechanism gets lose over time from vibrations, wear and tear. I now have another bike (last one totaled) and the bags on this bike seem much tighter on the mounts. So i would suggest, opening your panniers and checking the hardware. Keep in mind, those screws are mounted with rubber washers so if you over tighten, you could damage them. My last thought to you is thisā€¦ if they make these stiff wire, bag braces AND there are several threads on ā€œpinningā€ your bagsā€¦ that tells me that enough panniers have mysteriously fallen off the bike to figure out ways to keep them from coming off.
Btw I apparently ride hard on my bike, on my last one, I sheered the bottom of the frame off from a similar bump in the roadā€¦ bike was T/L.
You decide what is it worth to you.

Last edited:
So here is my take on thisā€¦ I bought a ā€˜13 used 1 year ago. Three weeks in to owning, I choose to ride on on one of the few fun roads around here. I was rollin, went over sink hole in the road, my instinct was to get out of the seat before I get through this, it was a heavy jarring for sure. Next thing I see in side mirrors is BOTH bags flying through the air and tumbling down the roadā€¦ I was heartbroken for sure. Went back and got them, rode home, had them painted then learned how to pin. . Some on here will say I didnā€™t have them latched properlyā€¦ I say BS. What I believed happened is the hardware on the bags latching mechanism gets lose over time from vibrations, wear and tear. I now have another bike (last one totaled) and the bags on this bike seem much tighter on the mounts. So i would suggest, opening your panniers and checking the hardware. Keep in mind, those screws are mounted with rubber washers so if you over tighten, you could damage them. My last thought to you is thisā€¦ if they make these stiff wire, bag braces AND there are several threads on ā€œpinningā€ your bagsā€¦ that tells me that enough panniers have mysteriously fallen off the bike to figure out ways to keep them from coming off.
Btw I apparently ride hard on my bike, on my last one, I sheered the bottom of the frame off from a similar bump in the roadā€¦ bike was T/L.
You decide what is it worth to you.
Thank You for sharing the experience, glad you werenā€™t hurt in either case (double bag ejection or frame sheering), thought our roads were badā€¦

I am starting to note some looseness on the locksā€¦ Grrr