• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Past Attendees and First Timers at the National

connie_rider

Several years ago we started making a special effort to better include the People that are attending their first COG National.
(I refer them as First Timers or Newbies) An Honorable Title!!

The reason for this is: * At the National us Old Timers tend to meet up and ride with our Old Buddies.
                                        (This is great, but sometimes the new guys don't get asked to ride with them).
                                  * At the National the New People don't want to impose and so they don't ask if they can join in a group.
                                        (This is not so great, as the new guys don't get to share the full COG National experience).

Bottom line: What COG is all about is the people of COG.
                  We want everyone that attends the National to thoroughly have a good time.

I told Colin that I would do what I could to help the First Timers.
I'm not sure how I'll do it,, but I will try!!!

1 thing we plan is; that the First Timers to have a colored (red or green) section on their name tag.
  This indicator will help the Old Timers, recognize and include the Newbies.
  To the Newbies; if ya see someone without the special indicator, step up and say hello. (Don't be bashful)    :)

Another item is I'll arrange is a meeting for the First Timers and some of us Old Timers,,,, so that the First Timers can gather and get to know others.

Another item is I'm putting on a Raft Trip to Jackson Hole on August 28th. I really want the New guys there! Do IT!

Ok, I'll add info to this note as we get ready for the Big Day.  :))
      Please join in this discussion and lets talk about ensuring a GREAT Event for all!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: First Timers are NOT only new members.
        Many (long Time) COG members have never attended a COG National.
            They too are considered First Timers in this discussion....

Thanks Ted, as a newbie (to the National) I'll take this personal.  :)  Hopefully the other noobs will join in. One of the
things I would find most helpful (at this point) for trip planning is a rough idea of the rides that might take place during the week.
I'm guessing that other than the raft trip there are no other preplanned official/unofficial rides taking place? I know that
I want to ride the Bear Tooth Highway (and perhaps the Chief Joseph HWY as well) while I'm in the area, is this something that might happen during the week or should
I plan on staying longer to get it in? I know others have mentioned staying in Yellowstone for a few days after and I'm
thinking the same, has anybody been there before at this time of year?...how's the traffic in the park? (I think most public schools
will be in session by then, that should help.)
I've been in the Yellowstone area before, but always in an A/C cage. I'd rather just go home than sit in Yellowstone traffic on a C14.
I would like to hear what others have planned, not so I (or others) can intrude as an unwanted tag along, but just for planning ideas.
For others coming from my neck of the woods: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,39606.msg232367.html#msg232367

(Ted, if this isn't the direction you wanted this thread to go in, PM me and I'll move it elsewhere.  :great:) 

Good questions Marty and I'll do the best that I can in my answers.
To all: If I err, someone answer with the correct answer.

FM:  I'm guessing that other than the raft trip there are no other preplanned official/unofficial rides taking place?
TA: To my knowledge there are no Led Rides. This is primarily because our insurance do not allow Led Rides. There is however a list of recommended rides on the National Home Page. http://concours.org/national/national-2013/riding If you ride any of those rides, you will see other COGgers making miles....
Last year we posted a large Map of the routes in Registration. WE had each route named and a maps available.
Suggestion: Assuming they do the same, gather at the Map. People will be discussing the route they intend to ride that day. Join in the discussion and ask if there is room for one more.....

FM: I know that I want to ride the Bear Tooth Highway (and perhaps the Chief Joseph HWY as well) while I'm in the area, is this something that might happen during the week or should I plan on staying longer to get it in? I know others have mentioned staying in Yellowstone for a few days after and I'm
thinking the same, has anybody been there before at this time of year?...how's the traffic in the park? (I think most public schools
will be in session by then, that should help.)
TA: "I" intend to stay at Yellowstone, raft some of the Yellowstone River,  and do Chief Joseph after the National (as I think it is too far to travel/ride in 1 day). I made reservations for rooms in the park months ago as the rooms go fast. I doubt you can get a room now, but check anyway. Info can be found under Yellowstone Lodging) To do Chief Joseph we're staying very near the North entrance of the park. You can get lodging in the town near the North Entrance.
After I leave there I arranged 1 night in the Old Faithful Inn, just because the place is so great. Even if you can't get a room there, stop and see the Inn!
Riding thru the Park takes some time. Partially because of traffic (But traffic should be relatively light as it is nearing the end of the season), partially because there is so much to see, but mostly because the park is HUGE
My guess is a person needs 2 days minimum to appreciate Yellowstone.

I have to go for now. Can answer more later.
Anyone interested, join in..

Ride safe, Ted

I was looking at the National Schedule.
Each day it has a note that might be what your looking for Marty.
  (I posted day 1 below)
I'll try to get Colin to comment on this.

Ride safe, Ted

Monday, August 26 – Rally Day 1
◾Opening Day
◾8-11am:  Information Center, Registration and Merchandise open in Convention Center  lobby. (Go to front desk to check in for rooms but go to convention center to check in for the rally.  Convention Center is to the north of the main entrance.)
◾8:30 Riders Briefing, to announce the rides of the day.
Open and scheduled riding each day.

◾4-9pm: Information Center, Registration and Merchandise open in The Goldfish Bowl aka Rally HQ found just inside the Hotel Lobby.
◾5:00 Riders Debriefing, to report back on the day’s riding.
◾7-10:30pm: Welcome Campfire and finger food at the Campground. (Free Shuttle)

Have something available at the campground too.

I am not paying too much attention to how close the hotel/headquarters is to the campground. For the one national my wife and I went to, we were in the campground. It was hard to find people to ride with. As mentioned had there little groups they rode with and that is it. Getting into town to headquarters to ask around turned out to be too little / too late. We ended up spending the at least 1/2 of the time or more riding by ourselves. All that way, all them Connie's and no one to ride with. We had a great time. I have a ton of pictures and love to tell about our great trip. But at the same time I tell it more as our summer vacation and not so much as we went to the COG National.

Slybones you just expressed exactly what I've been trying to overcome....

The Campgrounds is something I didn't think about.  :truce:
Not sure what I can do but if anyone has suggestions,,, let me know.

I can/will leave maps etc at some location in the campground, but I don't think it will help the campers meet others....
I'm not sure, but I think there may be a COG Campground Host that knows what is going on?
If not, mebbe we can arrange one...

As soon as I saw your note, I  checked and found out the Campground is close to Rally Central, 20 minute walk, 5 minute Connie ride, and there is a free shuttle available. (See below)

For camping we have made arrangements with the Snake River RV Park & Campground. Its many amenities and tree covered camp spaces, pool and shop should make for a lovely camping experience for everyone. As well as camping sites there are a number of cozy cabins that sleep up to 4. The campsite is a short 20 min walk from Rally Central or take the free shuttle.

Reading the schedule, on the first night there is a campfire and food planned at the Campground.
Plus, (at Ralleye Central) every morning there is a riders meeting and every afternoon a riders debriefing.
To me, those 2 meetings are the best way to find out news..

Ride safe, Ted

I'm a newbie, this year will be my first COG National, thanks for having it on the west best coast this year, looking forward to meetin some of you folks.  :beerchug:

COG folks are great. Your gonna enjoy!
Going to a COG national is like meeting some of the best friends you have,,, but have never met...

Quick note: On Tuesday we have a New Comers Meeting scheduled. See below)

Tuesday, August 27 – Rally Day 2
◾7:30 -9am: Women’s breakfast  - Sawtooth Room.
◾Information Center and Registration open.
◾Open and scheduled riding each day.
◾4-8pm: Information Center, Registration and Merchandise open
◾4-6pm :  Newcomers Welcome and Orientation. (Room ?) Note: to  be agreed
◾5:00 Riders Debriefing, to report back on the day’s riding.
◾6-8pm:  Other activity to be agreed - COG’s got Talent – Open Mike

Ride safe, see ya'll there, Ted

Yeah I don't think maps are the answer to getting more members to meet up. Our rally packet had lots of that info and I also printed out the ride routes from the Rally Pages back then. Knowing where to ride and what routes we wanted to take was not a problem. I would have been happy to be flexible on what days we rode various routes we were interested in. Of course part of it is I was 2up and not going to ride the pace that many of you would want. In any case ....

Looking back I think the key was not knowing where or how to communicate to others who need someone to ride with and want to do a some route.  While I think its great that veterans try to help the first timers, I think the first timers also need to have a way to reach out. And this need to be part of the rally packet. And not in some small print on page 77.

That I can recall back at the headquarters and for sure at the campground, there was no "sign up" sheet. In general it seems most COG members and COG in general does not seem to like / support big group rides. And so I can understand the lack of a "sign up" sheet. But at the same time maybe a "message board" or a "need someone to ride with" message center where a member can put on a note they are looking with someone to ride route B with. Lets meet here at 9:00am. 

Or how about one or two veterans leading a daily 'newb' ride.  Rally Day 1 'newb' ride is route A, leaves 9:00am at this location. Leader is xyz.  Rally Day 2 'newb' ride is route B, leaves 8:30am from this location, leader is abc. Rally Day 3 'newb' ride is .....

Not sure this is the answer either. Just thinking out loud so to speak. My own experience is not where to ride but communicating to others that I wanted to ride with and meet some of my fellow COG members.  I recall one morning walking around the campground from site to site striking up a conversation to see where people were going, only to not find anything I could join in with. I have no hard feeling towards anyone there. I guess the point is really about not knowing where to go or what to do. So I tried something.

Not that Newcomer welcome on day 2 is a bad idea, but that's already 2 days of someone's time riding alone, when they could have been riding along. For the day 2 schedule I see breakfast schedule, I see all the PM activities. But the day time I see "Open and scheduled riding each day". I don't know what that means other than the obvious go and ride. How about an 8:30am-9:00am rider orientation where riders who have questions can come and meet up with other riders looking for a riding buddy.

Thanks for the input folks.

The Plan was Ted pointed out, is to have a riders briefing each morning.
At this briefing we can give out any new information about the routes gleaned from the previous nights post ride briefing, or from those present. For example the food at the Red Barn Cafe is awesome, or watch out on the ABC junction as its real slick with oil.

We MAY and I stress again may have some organised rides for newbies. Most likely it will just be an opportunity for those with or without ride plans/partners to hook up with others with or without the same.

Colin
(At the Bun Cooler in Kamiah ID.)

Slybones, yer a genius.
Ok, this is easy (as I'm already planning it anyway)..
I'll start this out. (Some of you Other Old Timers, consider doing the same on another day)

Wednesday, August 28 – Rally Day 3
■8-10am: Information Center and Registration open.
■8-5pm: Ride & Rafting Trip to Jackson Hole Wyoming. Newbies Invited!

Newbies... come ride/raft with me! I'll have maps and info.
If ya don't want to raft, ride with us and look around Jackson hole while we're floatin'...  :great:
  NOTE: This is NOT a led ride, Ya'll just happen to be going my way at the same time...  <grin>

NOTE: If anyone's wife wants to go, but not ride,,,,
          My wife (Judy) will be bringing a truck/trailer/vulture wagon to the rafting area so we have room (and my wife) for the Newbie Wife's to be with.

Next: Each year there is a message board (outside of COG registration on which you can post notes.
          Good place to post,,, " I want to ride XXX route tomorrow, need someone to ride with"... 

Next: At the morning meetings,,,, there is a way hook people up with other riders.
        If your an Old Timer and willing to take a Newbie, Just speak up!
        If your a Newbie and want someone to ride with,,,  Just speak up!

As far as the day 2, "New timer Meeting", I'll talk to Colin.
    (Generally speaking,,  this was set up at a later day, because it takes me some time to organize myself. Plus I normaly work some in Registration the first day).

More later.
Ride safe, Ted

Us old timers love riding with newbies. We have all told each other our lies and stories so we need new people to tell them to. :)

The biggest problem is people are shy and don't just go up to people and start talking. Coggers are really great friendly people. Just go up to any of them and ask a question or start a conversation and you have a friend for life.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
Us old timers love riding with newbies. We have all told each other our lies and stories so we need new people to tell them to. :)

The biggest problem is people are shy and don't just go up to people and start talking. Coggers are really great friendly people. Just go up to any of them and ask a question or start a conversation and you have a friend for life.

Now, Jim,,, I wasn't telling them that part. (It's easier to tell lies if'n ya don't tell em' its a lie in advance...)

But your correct, the new guys ( I was one myself) [because of shyness or respecting other peoples groups]  don't invite them selves. They wait to be invited.  AND The Older more experienced guys are so busy talking to their buddies, that they forget to ask...
My advise here is ,,, step up and say hello,,, then go from there. You'll find that people in the COG family are very friendly..

Now-a-days I talk to everyone!!! I like being rude.  :)

Ride safe, Ted

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
1 thing we plan is; that the First Timers to have a colored (red or green) section on their name tag.
  This indicator will help the Old Timers, recognize and include the Newbies.

I think the special name tags will be very helpful, assuming that there are more than 3 noobs. While it can be difficult
for me to push my way into a group that seems to be well known to each other, I don't think I'd have a problem if
the group was easily identifiable as mostly noobs like me.  So you ol'timers (I'm not referring to age, just COG nat'l experience )
don't feel too guilty about enjoying yourselves with friends, that's why your there right? Us noobs will be able form our own groups
if we can find each other. We may even invite you more experienced to join us.  :)

Speaking of name tags, I know I'm going to have trouble with names, I always have. I suppose it's too late to have screen names
on the name tag as well eh? It's just that I've come to know many by their screen names and even though I've been to 2 COG events
I have to look up many of the names of people I've met there, because I can only remember their screen name.  :-[ ::)

FartyMarty has a good point about screen names. I was going to make a suggestion we do this for next years Bun Cooler. While I do know some members by their real name, most would be recognized by their user name. 

TimR said:
FartyMarty has a good point about screen names. I was going to make a suggestion we do this for next years Bun Cooler. While I do know some members by their real name, most would be recognized by their user name.

You wouldn't believe the time my wife spent trying to find out the real name of screen names. Some people registered under their screen name and others by their real name. Some probably used a fictitious name because they are wanted. The forums and membership are separate so there is no one place to put it together. The only way I can see it work is if people registered under both. That is a good suggestion and maybe they can work it out to add both if they can figure out how to do it.

I am a newbie to COG and if the Bun Cooler was any type of precursor to the Nationals I'm gonna have a week of good times instead of just a weekend.  Can't wait for more distance riding and telling lies(stories) at night. :great:

+1 on usernames on d'badges. I found it odd that it was not on there so I took a Sharpie and added it to mine at the Bun Cooler. People approached me that otherwise may not have, they recognized Gumby, they do not know who the F Tom is. ;D  I know Jim's wife and the others spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out who was who and where they were from to get all the badges ready. Let's make it easy for them, update all of your information on your profile.

As far as hooking up for rides, DON'T BE SHY. I found everybody to be very friendly and I could of gone on a couple different rides with groups Saturday, but I actually prefer to ride by myself on longer rides. Stop where I want, stretch where I want, eat when I want, nobody worries about me, and I do not worry about others, that's just me. What I am trying to say is, I found the hospitality and comradery most excellent. Two thumbs up!

For those who want Forum names on the name tags, you're in luck.  Fred Boothe is going to do that very thing.

Jim, let me say the work your better half did for the Cooler's name tags and tickets were and is most appreciated. (Just don't let Colin borrow her car any more with the wild stories he manages to come up with) Speaking for me, the Cooler this year was pure pleasure meeting more people. Jim. that was one heck of a nice event this year. I would think having a user name on your name tag could be as easy as having a spot for each member to add it on his own if desired. I also appreciate Fred Booth doing the work but the intent and suggestion here was not to make things too difficult. Gumby I think made a somewhat difficult and time consuming task pretty simple. After all our membership cards have our real names on them and finding the user names a time consuming task with some members using a pretty inventive user names.  But the user names are what I would recognize from being here. sierra hotel to all.  My 2 cents. TimR

For those who want Forum names on the name tags, you're in luck.  Fred Boothe is going to do that very thing.
Charlie,,,

Thanks Charlie.
I was going to send Fred a note to ask him what his plans were.
You beat me to it..

Ride safe, Ted

In an earlier note Slybones sed: Of course part of it is I was 2up and not going to ride the pace that many of you would want. In any case ....

I thought I'd reply to this as others might feel the same way.
My first thought is,,, Don't feel this way! Join in the ride....

A solution can always be found....

Final thought: If you are a new person and want to ride with a group of Old Timers, do it!
If your uncomfortable asking to join a group, I suggest that you assure them that "if you can't keep up, or if you are not comfortable with their pace, you will let them know and meet them later down the road... 

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I may not have said this correctly. Please reply if you want to add to my note..

I sent a question to Fred about the name Tags. Here is his reply.

It will be just like last year.  Those that mark on their registration that this is their first rally will show on their badge that this is their first rally. (We are still discussing if we are going to use a color bar or some other method to indicate the First Timers..) 
Their forum name will be on the badge as long as they have it on their registration..

Fred

Any new guys, or experienced National goer's that want to add to this discussion? Do it!!  :motonoises:

Ride safe, Ted

well, here's a Newbie perspective.... I picked up a used C10 in March.  joined COG shortly thereafter.  did one of the 4th Saturday rides with Dan, it was fun seeing new areas of the state.  did the coast ramble with Steve.  again, great scenery and good bunch of riders.  I will miss the NW regional since one of my sons is coming to visit.  but I do plan on going to the national.  never, of course, been to one.  couple of questions.  is there room on the rafting yet?  is anyone riding out to Idaho Falls from the Portland area on Sunday?  Looks to be a long ride.  ~12 to 13 hours counting gas/food/potty breaks.  just not quite enough miles for an iron butt, but will be a long day.  also for the folks from ID, can you suggest a bunch of scenic day routes out of Idaho Falls?
thanks, i'll be the one at the nationals that looks like I don't have a clue.....
Brian

Hello dbu. We'll raft with anybody!  :-\  Heck, we'll even let you paddle...  :great:
Of course there's room to sign up for the rafting. Just go to that discussion and say "sign me up".
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,40249.60.html

NOTE: Due to the number that have shown an interest, At this point I'm arranging 2 Rafting Starts. 12:00 and 12:30
          We'll work out the details at the National...

As far as someone to ride with to the National; there is another discussion going where it would be better to post that question.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,31512.msg282052.html#msg282052

I'll add the discussions to this note (if'n I can find them).  Done....  :great:

Ride safe,Ted

I'm not going to make the national this year, but can provide some thoughts since I'm sure it will carry over to next years event.  :)

One item that occurs to me which may cause newbs to be tentative is the skill level of various rides.  some may not be comfortable that they can keep up, and finding other OLD GUYS that have a similar riding style may help newbs to blend in better?

Welcome Sport Rider.
Read thru this discussion and you'll see that others have mentioned this concern.
It is a concern that everyone has......
6 Posts before this note, you'll see where I attempted to answer your question.

Here's another attempt.  :)

Others, ("Including" us Old Timers) hesitate joining a new group as we may not be comfortable riding at their speed.
So each year we go to a National and ride with people we met/rode with previously..
The Old Timers have an advantage. We already know people we are comfortable riding with. So, we join up with our Buddies, and ride.
Sometimes this means we didn't ride with others that we would really enjoy riding with.
Sometimes this means the New Guys are "left" setting in the Parking Lot wondering where to go and not getting to ride with others.
It is not intentional and it is not that the Old Guys don't want to share the ride with others.
It just happens.
Speaking from past nationals: By the end of the National the New Guys will meet and begin to ride with others.
It is far better if they can do this sooner.
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
At the past 2/3 Nationals we started working on doing something to solve this delima.
At this one, we'll continue to work on it.

Da Plan:
This year, we have colored name tags to designate the New Guys. The hope is that the Old Guys (Old meaning past National attendees) and New Guys (First time National Attendees) will reach out and talk to one another.
We will have a  meet and greet for the New Guys. (Date to be refined)
We will have a Post It Board on which to post a note saying "who wants to ride XXX Route tomorrow"?
We will have route maps at Registration.
We will post a Map with the various Routes. (Great place to meet others is this map area!)
New Guy Invite: I'm going to Jackson Hole (to go rafting) on Wednesday. I'm inviting all the new guys to go with us. (Information is on earlier posts in this discussion).

More toughts;
Unfortunately; no one wears a sign that says "I ride this pace".
The only way to find out is to meet and talk to others, pick someone that your comfortable with, and go ride with them....
So,,,  Find a group, (In the parking lot, at the fire, in Registration, at the bar, on the road, Colin's Room, the Ice Cream Social, "wherever"...) and join in the discussion.
This is a COG National. You are welcome to join in!!

What I suggest "when you find a group you like,,,,,,,,  is this;    ask them if they mind you going with them.
                                                                                              tell them how you like to ride.
                                                                                              ask them how they like to ride.
                                                                                              tell them "if" you will have someone on the bike with you.
                                                                                              ask them if they wil have riders on the back.
                                                                                              tell them that 'If" you are not comfortable with the pace, you will let them know and/or drop out.
                                                                                              ask them again, if all this is ok with them.
                                                                                              discuss their plan.

NEVER-NEVER-NEVER ride over your head!
If the pace is too fast, follow at your pace until they stop. Explain your concern and discuss with them what you want to do.

If I didn't answer this correctly/clearly,,, let me know.  :great:
If someone can answer it better (or has another idea),,, Let me know!
We want EVERYONE to enjoy the National.

Ride safe, Ted

Good Post Ted..

True confessions around a campfire passing refreshments always breaks the ice.

Ask Al. We had a great time at Moonshine

Gumby said:
Rasmith said:
True confessions around a campfire passing Moonshine always breaks the ice.
FIFY  :beerchug:

Hey thats putting shine in my mouth!!!

I'm a Noob to COG, First Rally with COG as well.
Not new to bikes or riding so if you see my bright name tag, please dont run away

Sport Rider said:
I'm not going to make the national this year, but can provide some thoughts since I'm sure it will carry over to next years event.  :)

One item that occurs to me which may cause newbies to be tentative is the skill level of various rides.  some may not be comfortable that they can keep up, and finding other OLD GUYS that have a similar riding style may help Neb's to blend in better?

You will find some that think every ride is a race and some that stop at every tourist trap or place to take a picture. However, the majority just want a nice relaxed ride. I've led a lot of rides, both sport touring and dual sport, and the one thing I always stress is ride your own ride. No one will be left behind and we will stop for everyone to regroup. I learned that from COG rides when I first started riding with them. Sometimes guys will take off in the twisties, but will slow down at the end so everyone can catch up. You will find that most Coggers want everyone to have a good time and enjoy themself.

Many times newbies worry they will slow down the group and be afraid they will have to ride over their head. I always point out it isn't inconvenient having to wait for someone. It is inconvenient to have to go back and scrape them off the highway. We always want everyone to ride safe and have a good time.

What we did at the last SW regional was post a large message board by the rally route map. You could post there your name, route, where to meet, time to meet, time for kick stands up and skill level (I.E. "I only stop for gas" to "I'm gonna smell the flowers and take lotsa pics"). Seemed to work pretty good. I'm planning to do the same at the Nat. We'll have route sheet copies there as well. I suspect the rally map area will be a social focal point and a great place to meet up. As Colin mentioned we'll also be having ride briefs/debriefs each day where a lot of info can be picked up. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Mark

If you're a new National Attendee, just come find me.  I've never been to one, either, so we can compare notes.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
You will find some that think every ride is a race and some that stop at every tourist trap or place to take a picture. However, the majority just want a nice relaxed ride. I've led a lot of rides, both sport touring and dual sport, and the one thing I always stress is ride your own ride. No one will be left behind and we will stop for everyone to regroup. I learned that from COG rides when I first started riding with them. Sometimes guys will take off in the twisties, but will slow down at the end so everyone can catch up. You will find that most Coggers want everyone to have a good time and enjoy themself.

Many times newbies worry they will slow down the group and be afraid they will have to ride over their head. I always point out it isn't inconvenient having to wait for someone. It is inconvenient to have to go back and scrape them off the highway. We always want everyone to ride safe and have a good time.

Well said, Jim.

In Utah I had a good size group. I knew about half of them and their abilities and riding style, but the other half were new to riding with us. The new guys all came up to me and asked about the ride. I made sure that they knew what to expect... what each leg was like, where we would be stopping, the speed we would ride at, etc. It worked out nicely with everyone having a good time. And while I may have run away from the group every so often in the twisties, I found that I had a few hanging with me as the day wore on and they got comfortable.

A good ride leader will always let his group know what to expect, and will make sure no one feels overwhelmed. This is what sets COG apart from other groups.

Well, execpt for those NW Region guys, they just go balls out.  :rotflmao:

Rasmith said:
Good Post Ted..

True confessions around a campfire passing refreshments always breaks the ice.

Ask Al. We had a great time at Moonshine

Arrrghhhhh, don't say "Moonshine"....
I'll explain in another post.

Ride safe, Ted

Rasmith said:
Gumby said:
Rasmith said:
True confessions around a campfire passing Moonshine always breaks the ice.
FIFY  :beerchug:

Hey thats putting shine in my mouth!!!

I'm a Noob to COG, First Rally with COG as well.
Not new to bikes or riding so if you see my bright name tag, please dont run away

"Shine"?? arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I may go blind... (again)

Ride safe, Ted

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
Sport Rider said:

One item that occurs to me which may cause newbies to be tentative is the skill level of various rides.  some may not be comfortable that they can keep up, and finding other OLD GUYS that have a similar riding style may help Neb's to blend in better?

Well said Jim.
Our group does exactly that. Play in the twisties. Wait periodically for everyone to gather up.
As a general rule, everyone keeps an eye out for the person behind him.  If the following person suddenly disappears, it may be an indication of trouble.

Ride safe, Ted

Old Man on a Connie said:
What we did at the last SW regional was post a large message board by the rally route map. You could post there your name, route, where to meet, time to meet, time for kick stands up and skill level (I.E. "I only stop for gas" to "I'm gonna smell the flowers and take lotsa pics"). Seemed to work pretty good. I'm planning to do the same at the Nat. We'll have route sheet copies there as well. I suspect the rally map area will be a social focal point and a great place to meet up. As Colin mentioned we'll also be having ride briefs/debriefs each day where a lot of info can be picked up. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Mark

Mark I'm impressed. More good info.
We're planning on a Message Board.
Last year we posted a Map on the wall in registration with all the routes highlighted.
I think Mark indicated that they'll do the same this year?
To the Newbies (HINT, HINT) That map is a GREAT place to meet others to ride with.  :motonoises: :great: :motonoises: :great:

Ride safe, Ted

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
If you're a new National Attendee, just come find me.  I've never been to one, either, so we can compare notes.

That is how it starts..... COG Friendships
I love it when a plan comes together....

Ride safe, Ted

JPavlis_CA said:
Jim_Sherman_ID said:
In Utah I had a good size group. I knew about half of them and their abilities and riding style, but the other half were new to riding with us. The new guys all came up to me and asked about the ride. I made sure that they knew what to expect... what each leg was like, where we would be stopping, the speed we would ride at, etc. It worked out nicely with everyone having a good time. And while I may have run away from the group every so often in the twisties, I found that I had a few hanging with me as the day wore on and they got comfortable.

A good ride leader will always let his group know what to expect, and will make sure no one feels overwhelmed. This is what sets COG apart from other groups.

Well, execpt for those NW Region guys, they just go balls out.  :rotflmao:

Another good input. Right on the money. Especially the part about those &^$$%^ NW guys.  <evil grin>  :pDT_Armataz_01_37:

We need More, more,,,, more,,, discussion from the Newbies..

Ride safe, Ted

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
Sport Rider said:

I like that line Jim.  I'm gonna steal that on from you!  :great:

OK, I just got my C14 last month and joined COG. I am only a day's ride  from the COG National Rally.
I have been to several rallies ( BMW, Honda ST, KLR, ADV, Horizons Unlimited, etc)  and enjoy meeting other riders and people to tour with.  Here are my questions.
1)It would be difficult for me to take all 7 days out of my seasonal summer business in order to attend all 5 rally days. I am considering 3 days. Should it be the first 3 days or the last 3 days?
2) Can I bring my bike loving tiny, non barking dog? He is 6 lbs and goes everywhere with me on my bikes, even off road.
3) I rarely make reservations when I travel. If I just show up and register, will I be able to find a room or campsite to share? It's worked for me in 30 years of travel..... 

Do Come!!!! You won't be sorry that you did....

1.  I guess the best would be the last 3 because;
        If you register for the National, you would be able to attend the Banquest. (Which is held at the end of the National)
        Most of the astivities occur during the last days.
2.  Not sure about the dog in the Motel, but other than that.... Defiunitely bring Fido.
3.  Campground should be no problem.
    Rooms will be available at one of the nearby Motels, but not necessarily Rally Central.

Ride safe, Ted

In an earlier post "Slybones" asked;  Not that Newcomer welcome on day 2 is a bad idea, but that's already 2 days of someone's time riding alone, when they could have been riding along. For the day 2 schedule I see breakfast schedule, I see all the PM activities. But the day time I see "Open and scheduled riding each day". I don't know what that means other than the obvious go and ride. How about an 8:30am-9:00am rider orientation where riders who have questions can come and meet up with other riders looking for a riding buddy.

I replied with :As far as the day 2, "New timer Meeting", I'll talk to Colin.
    (Generally speaking,,  this was set up at a later day, because it takes me some time to organize myself. Plus I normaly work some in Registration the first day).

I talked to Colin and he changed the Schedule.

Here's the word: The First Timer and New COGger Meeting is now scheduled for "Monday" afternoon at 5:30 PM.

Also, "each morning" Colin plans to have a morning Rider Meeting to pass out word about Road Conditions etc.

He suggests that the New Guys attend the morning Briefings and use them as a way to hook up with Old Timers for a ride.
                                Sounds like a good plan to me!!!!  :great:

Ride safe, Ted

THANKS for changing newcomer meeting to first day. I am looking forward to this. I haven't found any local C14 riders yet.... 

Define Local? Local to where you are, or local to Idaho?
I think I saw earlier notes where people Local to the area were involved.
Not sure which bike they rode.
Currently in touch with a Idaho Local FJR rider.

Also,I sed; "each morning" Colin plans to have a morning Rider Meeting to pass out word about Road Conditions etc.

I need to confirm that. It's not shown on the schedule. But (when I talked to him) I thought he said the planned to do that to pass out word about new learning's each morning. (With My Texas "ear" and his real English/"English" he's kinda hard for me to understand...)

Ride safe, Ted

Define Local?  Within 100 miles of Flathead Lake, Montana.
And in the winter I will be in the Southwest-- mostly Arizona, so hoping to connect with some riders there. I will be traveling around in my little RV with moto on the back.

I'm just north of Coeur d'Alene, but that's a little more then 200 miles
We do a ride out of Kamiah on hwy 12 in the spring
Bruce

Hi Wasabi --AHhh,  Hwy 12 --Lolo Pass, one of my favorite rides. I like to go all the way to Lewiston, Idaho and then ride 129,the Rattlesnake, to Enterprise, Oregon. I'll be making that ride in early October with 3 of my brothers. GoldWing, ST1100, ZX14 and  me.  We'll do 4 states in 2 days.

shezonit said:
THANKS for changing newcomer meeting to first day. I am looking forward to this. I haven't found any local C14 riders yet....
Lakeside.
Just got my '08 Connie a week ago...

Hi Matt!  Lakeside! I'm in Polson, 45 miles (or about 27 C14 minutes) away. I have another rider friend who lives there. Did you buy the C14 that was on craigslist a week ago? 
I only got mine last month. Use my profile contact info and let's meet for a ride?
Shezonit

shezonit said:
Hi Matt!  Lakeside! I'm in Polson, 45 miles (or about 27 C14 minutes) away. I have another rider friend who lives there. Did you buy the C14 that was on craigslist a week ago? 
I only got mine last month. Use my profile contact info and let's meet for a ride?
Shezonit
No, I traded my 2012 Polaris ATV for it from a fella in Missoula and retired my CBR1000F... I saw the one from Kalispell on Craigslist, but the guy never returned my phone call.

Are there any other women riding their own bikes to the National? I didn't see any on the list of attendees. But today, I can't find the list of attendees..... WHERE is it?

Since I can't stay all the days, I am leaving on Thursday after the slow speed riding course. With the raft trip, that leaves me only one "group ride" day.Tuesday after the women's breakfast. I've already done all the planned rides except the loop to the southeast of Idaho Falls, to the lake.

At this point, I know of only 1 other.  (she's Riding a C-10)
Normally there are several (on their own bikes) that are riding with someone.
For instance, Jen, from Jawjuh.

As they are Registered as a second person under the Husbands name, their names are not as distinct on the List of attendees, and I haven't seen them discussing in the Forums.

My assumption is some of them will be there.

Ride safe, Ted

Well I hope so-- I always like to meet women who ride their own.
I heard from Nancy that I will talk about travel, solo travel and motorcycle solo travel at the women's breakfast. So I hope anyone interested in travel/ riding in SE Asia or Mexico will come and ask many questions. :)

Yay! I hope to meet her! Maybe you will both come to Ladies Breakfast travel talk? Is her Ninja set up with luggage? I've seen some smaller (meaning lower to ground) bikes set up nicely for touring. 

I dobuhlieve Lady Di is coming up from AZ on her C10. My counterweight (she balances me) will be right behind me (about 6 inches to be precise :))) on our 14.

It is set up to tour. It has always gotten more attention then either one of my Connies.

I like to call it a C-6.5

Attachments

• DSC01201.JPG
    DSC01201.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 102
VERY nice setup on your wife's bike!  C6.5 is good.  I had a friend with a V-Strom who put very classy looking decals on the tank that said  "HALFABUSA".

The slowest folks can follow me.  It WILL be my first National without a turbocharger.  :'(

But I'm sure looking forward to seein' some good friends again.  With or without shine.  :beerchug:

I'm bringing some Shine.... (My happy, Shinin', Face)    :)
  So Rev, your volunteering to guide some of the Newbies. Great!
      Ya'll Newbies,,, watch out. He gets lost easily!

How many Nationals have you been to?  (With yer Turbo)? 
OMG,,, just realized,,,,  you sed you won't have your Turbo.  :mad:
      That creates a HUGE dilemma...  arghhhh
          Since you won't "have" to repair it (every afternoon) in the parking lot. 
                    Whose bike will we use to set around and supervise the work?    :))

Ride safe, Ted

I'll put sand in my tank and run over roofing nails if it'll help.  ::)

And I like Shiner.  :beerchug:

I know and like Shiner beer-- from way back, visiting my brother in Texas. I was surprised to see it in Walgreens in Arizona...  Also found in Arizona is Chile Beer, made in Tecate, with a large green chile in every bottle-- a taste sensation......

First time COG Rally for me..Pretty stoked!

Shiner beer. Texas Budweezer.. :beerchug:

Was at a Shell Station in Euless (SW edge of DFW). They had Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, Dogfish Head 60, 90 and a couple other IPA's could belive it in Dallas where the sun rises and sets on Shiner..

Anyway, looking forward to meeting all the great people I've conversed with on the forum and reuniting with those I've had the pleasure to meet in person.

I think this is our 9th. (Geez, I'm almost outa fingers)

I took the wife to one,,, and (ever since) she insists that we go every year.
(clearly,,,, she's a keeper)

Like Rasmith, We're pretty stoked about this National.
Looking forward to meeting old friends and making new ones.

I think I can guarantee,,, Once you new guys do your first,,, your hooked!  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

I like rallies!  I went to the BMW National rally the first year I had my Honda GL650. It was in Spokane, so only 3 hrs away. 4000 riders!!!  I camped-- about 2000 tents at the Spokane Fairgrounds. Everyone so helpful and supportive of a new rider/ first rally. It was fantastic for me, as a total newbie, to walk around and look at hundreds of bikes set up for long distance riding. I got a lot of ideas, and it inspired me to get going.......so the next year, I rode to Hyder solo.

I've been to several other rallies in Idaho, Oregon, Alaska and Canada. I've went to Hyder Seek because I wanted to see what people look like after having ridden 8000+ miles in 10 days. (49 states)  That was cool! out of about 30 bikes that did the 8000 miles, most of them were GL1800s.    It was my first long solo ride- 1400 miles each way, up through BC and back down the Icefields Parkway, which was a marvel.

shezonit said:
Newbies, turbos, beer, rallies....... and that is only page 4!

Nope,,, this tread is about Past Attendees and First Timers at  the National,,,,, and gettin' ta know each other...
The Newbies, turbos, beer, rallies discussion is part of how we're doin' it!! and RIDING is the most important part of the discussion.......  ;)

Now, where'd I put my beer,  is my Turbo ready to go,  what Rally have I been to,,,,  annnnnnndddddd are there any other newbie questions??

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Now, where'd I put my beer, are there any other newbie questions??

Ride safe, Ted
What time you got?

Who cares, it's five-o-clock somewhere.  :beerchug:

Rasmith, if you bring me a bottle of your home brew, I'll bring you a bottle of the most obscure Montana brew I can find.
I like dark beers- porters, stouts.

Would love to but there wouldnt be enough time for the yeast to settle back out after the ride. It would not taste very good. We'll see. I m already removing unneccesary items due to over packing lol

Only "tool" I'm packing is a good cap lifter. Yeah, I know, belt buckle, lighter, door jam. I'm tired of getting cut after opening many beers. I almost wrote 'too many beers" but there's no such thing.      Al

shezonit said:
Overpacking? If you're like most of the rider guys I know, you have 57 lbs of tools you won't need........

This is because if it's not packed you'll need it. Don't pack a front axle tool and see what happens.  ;)

So you 3 guys will be splitting the 57 lbs of tools between you?  I'll have a tire plugger kit.
Actually my moto buddy always puts together a mini tool kit for me when i go on a trip. I limit it to things i recognize......
So far, in about 100,000 miles, have only had to use the funnel. ( for gas out of a barrel in remote Mexico) and i was the only one of 4 riders with a funnel. 
But we ride Japanese bikes so we don't have to carry mas tools, right?

My theory is if my 14 breaks down I'm not going to be able to fix it anyways. Tire plugs, and a few tools not normally available on the road and the poor tool kit is what I'll take. Common tools like screwdrivers and metric adjustables can be had without too much trouble. 

I have a full set of metric cresents..Had to buy them whem I went to metric bikes ;)

Thanks for the tips!

Rasmith said:
I have a full set of metric cresents..Had to buy them whem I went to metric bikes ;)

Thanks for the tips!

You have both the left and right handed ones right? And are they reversible?        :D
Matt     

"My theory is if my 14 breaks down I'm not going to be able to fix it anyways."
oh noooooos......  I was afraid I would hear that.
When the C14 first came out- the first ad I saw---- I WANTED one. So I read everything about it, and when I read about KIPASS, and etc,  I got cold feet, onacounta the more complex, the more things to go wrong, eh? 
So I bought a used  ST1100 instead.  Sold that after 2 years. Then GoldWings- an exercise in heavy bike handling.    And then I test rode this C14.    Computers? KIPASS? Who cares, I WANTED it. But I hope it never leaves me stranded on one of my solo tours, because- can anybody do field repairs on it?
Is there a thread on "by the road repairs I've done"? 

Sure I have roadside assistance on my insurance, but.......  you mean, if it won't start, or it stops running, there's NO fixing it in the field? Whaaat! I thought they called it "The Transcontinental Tourer"?

mattchewn said:
Rasmith said:

Thanks for the tips!

You have both the left and right handed ones right? And are they reversible?        :D
Matt   

They make those?

shezonit said:
Sure I have roadside assistance on my insurance, but.......  you mean, if it won't start, or it stops running, there's NO fixing it in the field? Whaaat! I thought they called it "The Transcontinental Tourer"?

If I didn't have full confidence my 14 would take me to Twin Falls and back without issue, I would hurry up and get the blue bike running. Most issues I've had were hole in the rear tire related. A hole in a tire might delay me a bit but not stop me. I'm more worried about loosing a Fob than breaking down on our fine Transcontinental Tourer.  :)

Dumb question, but has one of the electrical geniouses,,, (And/or motorcycle thiefs)  figured out how to wire around a FOB if it were lost?

Ride safe, Ted

TimR said:
shezonit said:

If I didn't have full confidence my 14 would take me to Twin Falls and back without issue, I would hurry up and get the blue bike running. Most issues I've had were hole in the rear tire related. A hole in a tire might delay me a bit but not stop me. I'm more worried about loosing a Fob than breaking down on our fine Transcontinental Tourer.  :)

Full confidence. Ok, I will, too. And a cell phone.

connie_rider said:
Dumb question, but has one of the electrical geniouses,,, (And/or motorcycle thiefs)  figured out how to wire around a FOB if it were lost?

Ride safe, Ted

Not anything I'm aware of. I understand even Kawasaki can't help you. If I loose a fob, the wife knows where the second one is to over night to me. While I wait for the FOB to arrive,  I'll just relax with a cool beverage in my hand at a local motel. I know a guy who put his FOB in a jacket side pocket and lost it.

Lesson learned. The FOB goes in a deep or zipped pocket.

TimR said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Not anything I'm aware of. I understand even Kawasaki can't help you. If I loose a fob, the wife knows where the second one is to over night to me. While I wait for the FOB to arrive,  I'll just relax with a cool beverage in my hand at a local motel. I know a guy who put his FOB in a jacket side pocket and lost it.

Lesson learned. The FOB goes in a deep or zipped pocket.
Tim,
Now you know 2! DOH!! Cost me 50$ for the non transmit fob and spare key and 20$ more to program the bike.
Matt

But Matt It was not me who lost the FOB. The guy who did got enough grief I won't mention who it was other than his nick name for awhile was "no fob".  This did happen at a COG event when I was checking to see if Concours owners were the sort I wanted to hang out with. And believe it or not some fellow Coggers found the missing FOB on the side of the road about ten miles away from the resort we were staying at.

No Fob called the local Kawasaki dealership right after the FOB was lost and he was told there was absolutely nothing they could do for him. 

This is when the idea keeping my Fob in a deep or zipped pocket came to mind.

Mine is velcroed, zippered, strapped and leashed. Kept at bay like an attack dog in a preschool. Locked down. Thinking about buying a SPOT for it. And no. It wasn't me.

Hi Y'all. I'm a solo newbie from Phoenix AZ heading to the National. Leaving St. George Utah early Saturday AM, Aug 24, from the St. George Econolodge, 460 East St. George Blvd.

If anyone wants to meet up and ride with me give me a shout. Cell 602-524-9365 yotomtaylor@gmail.com. I can receive phone calls while riding and check email during breaks.

My loose ride plan is North on I-15 from St. George. I plan to take 189 up the East side of the Wasatch past Park City UT if smoke from the fire near Park City is not a problem. Saturday destination Hotel on the Falls ID early evening.

Tom Taylor
602-524-9365
yotomtaylor@gmail.com