• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Poll - Help choose our next helmets.

From these 5 please choose helmet of choice. Experience with the helmet preferred, not required.

• AGV Sportmodular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • X_LITE X-1005 UC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
I've had terrific overall wear experience with Shoei. They made for my shape head. Are the ones listed designed for you and the SO shape head? As you say fit is the ultimate decider.

FWIW - I'm a fan of traditional full face for the superior chin/face protection which is the statistically highest impact zones. As far as I know, no modular has Snell certification and none have been tested. I understand that if they were tested the modular latch/hinges are the failure point.

2andblue

I've had terrific overall wear experience with Shoei. They made for my shape head. Are the ones listed designed for you and the SO shape head? As you say fit is the ultimate decider.

FWIW - I'm a fan of traditional full face for the superior chin/face protection which is the statistically highest impact zones. As far as I know, no modular has Snell certification and none have been tested. I understand that if they were tested the modular latch/hinges are the failure point.
I honestly don’t know our head shape.. HJC RPHA-Max was a great fit for us.

Looking to collect the votes from previous experiences of other riders.

Did you vote - machine might not be working, no tally.

gbyoung2

I have a Shoei head – no doubt about it. My first helmet was an open face JC Whitney polycarbonate. Heavy as all git out, but it worked for the time I used it.

Then switched to Shoei’s, going through two RF-200’s, then a Multitec modular. I wore that one out over time, but you can’t hardly find them any longer, nor the similar Duotec/Neotec Modular. In the interim while I looked, I used a Shoei RF-700 that I got for a song way back when from a fella at work. Hardly ever used and in perfect condition, but it too has aged.

Finally, I started looking at the Bell SRT Modulars when size/color options didn't seem to be available with the Shoeis. Price was a consideration too - $265, which included shipping. I like the modulars because I wear glasses when riding, and so its much easier to get them on and off. Also, in this State you cannot go into a business with your face covered like it is with a full coverage helmet. A modular is no problem. You flip it up and you’re good to go.

Know the Bell SRT Modular is not on your list, but mine arrived today, from the Netherlands, no less (Champion Helmets from the Motorgear Store). I was a little nervous that I didn't get to try on a large like I'd ordered, but a local shop here had one of the Bell SRT Modulars in a medium size. It was definitely too small, so I gambled that a large might be okay. It is. So far, so good. Definitely snug, but they all start out that way and will adapt to the head it is sitting on. Look forward to getting out tomorrow and get some miles on it.

Aplology for the hijack, but had to get my .02 in there.

Last edited:

2andblue

2andblue

Poll still open -

After further review and comparison I believe we are looking at the RPHA 90S Carbon as the personal leader for my wife and the NEO-TEC 2 as my leading choice.

From reading the NEO-TEC 2 is a quieter and possibly more sturdy helmet, my wife just cannot take the weight of a 4# helmet when a 2.88# helmet of comparable high quality is available.