• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Raft Trip at the 2014 COG National Rally; Do we wanna do it again??

PS: I just talked to my favorite Cousin.
      I met him a few years ago at a COG gathering and "Immediately" knew he was my Cousin because he had the same name as me.
        WOW!!!!!!        Amazing!!
          Small world, huh??

You mean there is two of ya?  >:D

connie_rider said:
Pinggggg,,,

Hey, I haven't had any more victims err rafters sign up in days.
Are ya'll gonna raft with us or not?
Ya can hold Snarf's and/or Colin's head under the water if'n ya want!

PS: I just talked to my favorite Cousin.
      I met him a few years ago at a COG gathering and "Immediately" knew he was my Cousin because he had the same name as me.
        WOW!!!!!!        Amazing!!
          Small world, huh??

2 COGgers meeting, never knew one another before,,,,  and found out that we're cousins!

yer gonna like this,,,

keep going

little bit more time

the suspence is killin' ya ain't it?

Yepp, his name is Ted!    :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted
Bring it on, Im not scared lol.  Its a small price to pay for the greater good.

Fergot to reply to this. So here goes..

Snarf sed he ain't skert.
He Sez ta go for it,,, (holdin' his hed under the water)

His bride has already volunteered to be chief hed holder......

Raftin' plans have formed up great. We currently have 60 that want to raft with us. Hopefully more will sign up?

This is gonna be fun!

Ride safe, Ted

Just added 2 more "Rafter Wanna Go's: to our List of potential victims  (errrr) Participants.  ;)

With this latest addition we now have 65 COGgers signed up to get wet with us....  :1rij:

But,,, I want MORE!!!! 
                                      :104:

Ride safe, Ted

Guess we'll find out who the chickens are.... >:D

I've been in contact with Mad River Outfitters again.
I think all the preparations (that I can do for now) are done.

The actual Rafting Days are; Wednesday Aug 28 at 12:00 and 12:30.
                                            Thursday Aug 29 at 12:00.

If anyone wants to raft and get the discount,,, but can't raft with us,,,, CONTACT ME before or at the National.
                          I can set you up another day/time and get you the COG discount. (roughly 1/2 price)

If anyone hasn't signed up and do want to raft with us,    let me know so that I can add your name to the list.

Everyone that plans to Raft,,, as soon as you arrive in Rally Central,,, find me (or a Raft representative) in COG Registration to make the final arrrangements and get a deposite,,,  for your raft trip.

More info:
The Outfitter says; that we are supposed to wear swimming suits while rafting, not short cotton pants,,,
                                                                        and more importantly I'm supposed to clear this up for certain people,,,,(Snarf) you have to wear something!!    :-\

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Rasmith, I don't think yer Chicken. However,,, I do suspect that "Rev" and "Old Man on a Connie" are Chicken!!!  :hee20hee20hee:

The Outfitter says; that we are supposed to wear swimming suits while rafting, not short cotton pants,,,
                                                                        and more importantly I'm supposed to clear this up for certain people,,,,(Snarf) you have to wear something!!

Swimming suits?  Is this requirement so we are" quick drying"? (rather than soggy cotton shorts/ tees)  So would a quick drying synthetic tee and bike shorts be permissible?        Just wondering about the activity limitations of my swimsuits..... 

OK, here is the word: Sounds like synthetic Clothing is ok.
NOTE: (I somehow suspect that the Outfitter has heard about Snarf previously.)

Ride safe, Ted

Please wear shoes that can get wet that will not fall off your feet. There is a walk from the take out ramp to the bus up a gravel
path that requires footwear. If you don’t have footwear that can get wet, we have rental booties available upon check in. Please
wear bathing suits and synthetic clothing if possible and avoid cotton. Synthetics tend to keep you warm when wet and they dry
faster than cotton clothing. If you don’t have the proper clothing, we have rental wetsuits available upon check in. Sunscreen and
sunglasses are highly recommended. Waterproof cameras are welcome on this stretch of the river - you never know when wildlife
might make an appearance. If you don’t have a waterproof camera you can rent one before your departure.

Special Note: Nudity not permitted... Snarf MUST wear something! 
  ;)

I sent Jessica (at Mad River Outfitters) a note and told her we now have 65 People signed up to Raft.
Yahooooooooooooooooooo. Keep those notes coming.
I REALLY NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY WANT TO RAFT,, so that I can continue to arrange the Rafts!!!!

Da Plan:            The price is approx $30 (actual $28.80)  (1/2 price) and "please (because we're getting a deal) plan to tip the Guide in your raft".
                          We have approx. 32 Spots reserved for the 12:00  Raft Trip on Wednesday Aug 28.
                          We have approx (30) "more" spots available for a 12:30  (special "COG Only" Raft Trip) on Wednesday Aug 28.
                                (If that doesn't work out), We have 20 more "tentatively" arranged for 12:00 on Thursday Aug 29.
                                    If someone chooses to Raft at another time,,  I can help them arrange the Raft Trip. (at the same discounted price)
                                    If you make your own arrngements at the Rafter,,, you wil have to pay regular price.

In all cases, When you arrive at the National, come to COG Registration and sign up for your Rafting slot.                             
                              At that time, I will assign you a spot/time, and take up a $20 deposit to assure your place in the raft, and give you a Route/map.

To make this all work, I agreed to personally stay in touch with Jessica about the Raft Trip etc. (Don't tell my wife)

Info from Mad River: Please meet at the Mad River Boathouse 30 minutes (or more)  in advance of your departure.
                                                  We are located at 1255 S HWY 89, Jackson WY. (Broadway becomes Highway 89; head 2 miles south of
                                                  the Town Square).
                                You will need approximately 4 hours for this trip from check in time to arrival back at the Mad
                                                River Boathouse. You will spend approximately 2 hours on the river. The exact time will vary due
                                                  to river levels and conditions.

Please wear shoes that can get wet that will not fall off your feet.
                                                There is a walk from the take out ramp to the bus up a gravel path that requires footwear.
                                                If you don’t have footwear that can get wet, we have rental booties available upon check in.

Please wear bathing suits and synthetic clothing if possible and avoid cotton. (SNARF, that means NO BIRTHDAY SUIT) 
                                                Synthetics tend to keep you warm when wet and they dry faster than cotton clothing.
                                                If you don’t have the proper clothing, we have rental wetsuits available upon check in.
                                                Sunscreen and sunglasses are highly recommended.                                                 
                                                Waterproof cameras are welcome on this stretch of the river - you never know when wildlife
                                                might make an appearance.
                                                If you don’t have a waterproof camera you can rent one before your departure.
                                                Trip pricing includes all taxes and fees. Guide gratuity is not included.

YAHOOOOOoooooo,,,,,,,    WE're gonna have a BLAST!!!!    :) 

Ride safe, Ted

I want to go -- IF-- and this is a big IF  ,someone- who LOVES dogs, will watch my little darlin 6 lb  Papillon moto-dog while I am rafting. This could be at Rally Central  (maybe one of you nice women pillion riders who isn't going out that day?) or someone who is going to Jackson, but not rafting. He is very trained, totally quiet and is either good on his leash or will ride in a tote bag on your shoulder and never make a peep. I can demonstrate this for you if you don't believe me. He will be with me at all times during rally.  I will ask at the Ladies Breakfast, too.
Any maybes?  I understand if you don't want to to commit until you meet him.  He is totally personable and used to strangers as he is a retired show dog. ( 3.5 yrs old) google Papillon dog and you will see what he looks like. A black and white one. Too cute, eh? :)

***YIPPEE!! I had a response and have someone to watch Emmett while I raft. THANKS!!!***You COG people are the best!!!

I'm a Arizona newbie COGger in for one for the raft trip. Prefer 8 person boat or kayak if available?? Looking forward to new friends and losing that rookie status. Can't wait!

Hello YoTom.
I'll add you to the list.....

I'm not sure what rafts we're going to have.
I asked for the smaller rafts so that there would be more action.. But things have changed just a bit.

Originally we thought 20 might want to go.
Your the 7th to contact me today.
I THINK that makes you the #71 COGger THAT HAS SAID THEY ARE INTERESTED...
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO............    :))

NOTE: I've been talking with the Outfitter.
I think/hope/pray  I have everything arranged.
If not, I may get hung...  ???
Oh Lord, don't let me goof up!

PS: If I goof,,,, Old Man on a Connie has agreed to buy any beer we need to passify the tribe....

Ok,, I had a vision.  It's gonna work.    Lets Raft!!!
Ride safe, Ted

Coooooo-rec-tion:    73 is the  Latest Total

Ok, I did a map and marked it up with my Crayon...
So,,, here's the route to/from Jackson.

Ride safe, Ted

Attachments

• Rafting.pdf
    110.7 KB · Views: 104
Wow!  73 and counting.... that's like half the rally so far!  connie_rider must be very popular to have so many friends....

so it will be a mass ride over the pass to Jackson- wheeeeeeeeee..........
First time I rode that pass was years ago in early May on a 1984 VFR.  There was at least 8 feet of snow by the side of the road, no fairing, no windshield.....  Rode it last fall on my GoldWing- ahhhh much better. And this time, on the C14-gonna be great!

connie_rider must be very popular to have so many friends....
Nahh, I just owe money to a lot of people.  :great:

I've been talking with the Outfitter again about the Rafting.
Somehow, they screwed things up and scheduled the Raft Ride at 10:00 AM.
So,,, Yesterday when I sed:  I think/hope/pray  I have everything arranged. I was kinda serious.

I had just sent the Outfitter a note explaining that we were in the area for a Motorcycle Ride, the Rafting was secondary,,,,  and was primarily a destination.  :motonoises:
I further explained that we intended to enjoy the ride to Jackson,,,  (Not rush)  and we could cancel the rafting if it messed up our Riding!!

I think I got her attention!!  >:D

More later.
UPDATE: Problem solved......  :great:

Ride safe, Ted

shezonit said:
Rasmith said:
Holy Smokes.. :-[

I thought you were a brew man. Are you bringing the smokes?

You betchya!! I'll be toting a few along with me if I can find room..I've got room for my 4-Stogie case..Small bottle of Bourban but no beer..Will have to stock up in ID Falls.

New rafting Spots:
Because we have over 70 people that want to Raft, I had to modify my plans..
Here it is:  :great:

At this time I plan for 64 of us to raft at 32@12:00 and 32@12:30 on Wednesday..
These times give us time to ride to Jackson, do some sightseeing, and possible eat "before the rafting"..
The first 64 that do the final registration at the National (and are on my preliminary list) will get those spots on the rafts.........

Anyone after the first 64 people to sign up at the National (and are on my preliminary list) will Raft at 12:00 on Thursday.
These times give them time to ride to Jackson, do some sightseeing, and possible eat "before the rafting"..

OR

I've arranged some seats on the Rafts at 10:00 and 10:30 on Wednesday. (not sure of quantity yet).
If anyone wants the earlier Raft Times, or if anyone wants to Raft (that is not on my Preliminary List) can Raft at those times.
note: These times give them time to ride to jackson, WITH MINIMAL sightseeing, and MUST eat "after the rafting"..

OR

I may be able to arrange "other times" if necessary for a few people...  (Somehow)  ???

Any questions:: Please ask now!!

Ride safe, Ted

Wow, Ted, you are workin' overtime on this raft thing..... 
THANK YOU for your HUGE efforts getting this lined up for us.
SHE

Don't tell my Boss.  :-\
He thinks I'm writing a report......  :rotflmao:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Shezonit mentioned that she has rode this area before.
Her note made me think of another concern;
Reason I mention this is:
Even though,,, 60-70 Connie's on the road sounds Cool as heck to me,,, we aren't supposed to all leave the parking lot together.
    (COG insurance frowns on "Led" Rides)....

So, (prior to 8:00) we need to have a group roll out every 10 minutes or so...
Stragglers, (not in a group) roll out whenever you want..

Can some of you,,, (Old Timers, and people familiar with the area),,,, help to lead those smaller groups?
Just leave periodically and get some to ride with you...

MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!
Be "ABSOLUTELY/POSITIVELY" SURE that the First Timers are included in those groups!

I know that a lot of this will happen anyway,,, but I wanted to mention it while I wuz thinkin' about it.

PS: If we "just happen" to meet up on the road and form a larger group,,,, remember to wave at all the people in Cages (and on Harleys),,,,,,
B'kaws,,,They'll all be jealous.     :nananana:

PS: I already printed out a whole stack of Maps to give everyone.

(Boss thinks I'm printing my report).    ;)

Ride safe, Ted

Silence??  ???

Heck, I don't need any names...
Justa,, (yea, we can roll out in smaller groups)  kinda reply.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: IMPORTANT
In my earlier note I mentioned that I intend to give priority (in raft assignments) to the people that are on my preliminary list.
(Preliminary List IS located on page 1/note 3  of this discussion).
This makes it important that you check to see if your name is on that list!!
Any questions?

We're all over rollin in smaller groups.  :motonoises:

Thanks for coordinating all this Ted.  :great:

Cool.............  :)

Ok, here's the proverbial Gauntlet...  :-\ 

To be sure everyone is included,,,
  I'll be leaving the Motel at 8:00 and will be bringing any stragglers and some Newbies with me....

I'm also leaving "last",,,,  "because" I'm riding a C-10,,  :hee20hee20hee: 

As I'm On a c-10,,,, I figured you guys/gals on the C-14's needed a head start.   :nananana:  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted 

Let the flames begin!!  :29:

Rasmith said:
shezonit said:
Rasmith said:
Holy Smokes.. :-[

I thought you were a brew man. Are you bringing the smokes?

You betchya!! I'll be toting a few along with me if I can find room..I've got room for my 4-Stogie case..Small bottle of Bourban but no beer..Will have to stock up in ID Falls.

Stogies? Bourbon? Beer? you going to host the hospitality room?  >:D

I was asked if I would be able to take Charge Cards when we do the deposite money.
I have no way to do charge cards. May be able to wrk thru COG, but good old cash would be the easiest..

Deposite is gonna be $20 a person when you sign up on the Offical Rafting List at Registration...
Then when you arrive at the Outfitter,,, $8 - $10 to them....

Note we now have 76 Rafters on the preliminary list...
Arranging the Rafts is gonna be hectic.
The Rafter is trying to arrange that all the Rafts be 8 man rafts... (More action)

Ride safe, Ted

8 man rafts are their smallest rafts...  :truce:

But, being the nice guy that I am,,,, I have a SPECIAL, high action Raft! just for you,,,  :great:   

I'll bring an Inner tube.  :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted  ;)

NOTE: I See your photo on the tube. I've done a lot of miles/hours that way too... Great fun.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
8 man rafts are their smallest rafts...  :truce:
Huh, that surprises me.

connie_rider said:
But, being the nice guy that I am,,,, I have a SPECIAL, high action Raft! just for you,,,  :great:   

I'll bring an Inner tube.  :nananana:
I'll take what I can get, and I'm looking forward to it.  :great:

Lately, I've been receiving cancellations "and" New additions for the raft Trip as people make their final decisions.....
As of now we have 76 people (on my preliminary List) that indicated they want to raft with us.....
BUT, we only have 64 openings for the 12:00 and 12:30 Raft Trips on Wednesday.

To be fair to all, the first 64 that signup at the National (that are on my preliminary List) will get those spots.
Anyone else will get a choice of 10:00 on Wednesday, 12:00 on Thursday, or I can get you another time at the discounted price.

If anyone wants to Raft that are not on the preliminary list, do contact me at the National and I will  help you with arrangements...

Tomorrow night, I plan to stop taking names for the Preliminary List.
The List is at the start of this discussion....

PS: If some of you are on the Preliminary List that have decided not to Raft with us, please let me know before the National...

Ride safe, Ted

Ok,,,,,  here is the final list of the brave people that indicated they will raft with us.
All that are on this list will get priority on the Wed 12:00 and 12:30 raft times.

To get your spot on the raft,,, sign in at Registration when you arrive...

If you are NOT on this list, I DO have more raft times available!  We can work it out.
If you are NOT on this list, but want ti ride there with us.... DO IT!!!!

To help me, Please inform me if I missed anyone,,,,, or your plans changed.

I assigned a few Honorary Titles for some rafters.    :))

2    Connie_rider    "Me"    MOST IMPORTANT RAFTER
  2    Bwilde
  1    Fartymarty                  Name sez it all
  2    Colin                          Pays for the beer!!!
  1    Jr
  1    Notsluggo
  2    Ranger Jim                  Chief Paddler,
  2    D Gold
  2    Virtualdev
  2    Old Man on a Connie    Co-chief paddler
  2    Oldsawfiler
  2    Rev Rider                    Designated swimmer
  3    Postrucks
  1    Tim R
  1    David F
  2    Paulie
  1    Tom V  (Gumby)          Head paddler
  1    Patrick K
  1    Eddie M
  1    Lane H
  1    Tony P                          Strong paddler
  1    Jay W
  1    ZG                                Drinks Colins Beer
  2    Ernie H
  1    Jim C                            Weak Paddler
  1    Butch
  2    Snarf                              Designated to have head held under water
  2    John C
  1    Chris F                            Ballast
  2    Jean W                             
  3    Chuck L
  2    Rasmith                          Waited to late to cancel Mike D, so he Pays for Cousin' teds beer...
  1    Brian M
  2    Bert L
  1    Roadrunner/Spikey            More ballast
  2    Conversy
  1    Maren (shezonit)              Lady in red/Designated paddler
  1    David S
  2    Cousin' Ted                      Important Paddler (Kin to most important Rafter)
  2    Brian (BIGBAD)
  2    Joe Siegel
  1    Mike D (Daytona Mike)      Loud talker, Peon Paddler
  2    Dan & Shirley A
  2    Abbe & Dan O                    he hehe,,, I'm thinkin' of your title
  3    Todd C
  1    YoTom                              Rookie paddler
  2    Lisa H
  1    Marty G 
  2    Don C                              Last to sign up, pays Tip for everyone

79    Final Total    8/19/13 

This is GONNA be fun!!!!!
If I missed any titles, or put on an incorrect title,,, let me know and I'll add one...... ;)

Ride safe, Ted

Rasmith,, great.... (I take back 1/2 the nasty things I sed about you)...  :)
Jim C,,, not a problem.

I think I have everything covered...  I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope,, etc, etc, etc,  :truce:

I just sent a note to mad River Rafters.
I Told them; I have 79 that have indicated they want to raft with us.
                  I don't expect all 79 to actually raft with us. (Some people may forget)
                  I do expect to have walk in's at the National to take their place.... (Walk in's are VERY welcome)
                  I think we'll have about 75 rafters...  :) 
                  I want our rafting times to be on Wednesday at 12:00, 12:30, and 10:00. (Roughly 82 openings)

NOTE: If anyone wants to raft at 12:00 on Thursday, "or any other time",,, I can help make arrangements at the discounted price...

Question from Ted:  I've been saying that I would collect a $20 deposit from all rafters.
                              Rafters would have to pay the final amount at Madd River.
                              It might be easier on everyone, if I collect $30 a person at Idaho Falls. (includes a small tip for the rafting crew)
                              Does anyone ahve any heartburn with this change???? 

By the way, I need Cash $$ as I don't have a way to accept Charge cards at this time... I will give everyone a receipt...

Ride safe, Ted     

No problem with the change!  I am confident that everyone is very appreciative for your work toward a fun event.  See you Sunday PM.

Judy & Carey

I think it should be everyone pay you at the Rally or everyone paying themselves at the river.

I'm good with paying it all up front at the Rally..
This I feel makes it alot easier on everyone and there's less confusion and delays getting to the rafts or back on the bikes. Additionally, it makes it easier figuring out a proper tip up front.

Just my 2cents

Rasmith said:
I think it should be everyone pay you at the Rally or everyone paying themselves at the river.

I'm good with paying it all up front at the Rally..
This I feel makes it alot easier on everyone and there's less confusion and delays getting to the rafts or back on the bikes. Additionally, it makes it easier figuring out a proper tip up front.

Just my 2cents

What he said. **Up front is SO much more streamlined.** 

Now here's my 4 cents re the group tip. I don't feel $2. is a "proper tip".  I was thinking more like at least $6.00 a person. That is 10% of the normal rate of $60. Since we are getting a 50% discount, I think it would be nice if we tip on the normal amount..... 
I was a tour guide in Asia for 15 years, and trust me, tips are a LARGE part of a guide's income. So 75 people x $6= $450.,divided by how many rafts?  8,9,10?  Really not much per boat guide for 3-4 hours of wrangling a bunch of rowdy bikers, is it? Not to mention getting our butts safely down the river... $50. a boat is basically buying them dinner and a few beers in Jack$on.
Let's make it easy and pay Ted at least $36. up front.    And bring exact change, so Ted doesn't have to have 280 dollar bills? He's done a LOT of work for us already on this.  I'm just thinkin' like a tour guide here. :)

Sheezonit, I like the way you think...

If ya'll want me to collect $35, I can do that.
What I was gonna suggest was everyone put a $5 (or so) bill in their pocket when they head for the rafts.
I assumed the Guides would appreciate that people hand them the $$ and say thanks after the fun trip...

I'm getting excited...  IT's almost time for me to leave Houston and head for Idaho!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Nah, I prefer Rowdy.

Leaving Huston in about 30 minutes.

Last rafting post before I depart.

Contacted Madd River Outfitters for final arrangements.
They set us up with 80 spots so that all of us can go together at 12:00 and 12:30 on Wednesday.
10:00 AM on Wednesday is available for a few if'n they don't want to associate with us ROWDY Bikers/Rafters!!  :nananana:

Old Man on a Connie,and Snarf are the designated submariner's on this here raft Trip.
Der haid's should be held under the water as much as possible, so that they fill this position.
Your help will be greatly appreciated by the others that have to listen to them, (when their head ain't under the water).  :friends:

Dis here Raftin' tryip is gonna be fun!!!    :singing:

By the bye,,, after da raftin' post or send your photo's to the guys that don't go with us!!!
Make em' sorry dey din't go!!
:TPIWWP:

Thanks for all of your work toward the Rafting.  It was great fun, and as far as we could tell, a good time was had by all.

Judy & Carey

I hope Ted got a huge round of applause as a thank you for all the work he put in on the raft trip. It was worth the trip to see the guy with the dreadlocks....

Yes, thanks Ted, the raft trip was a hoot. The guide with the dreadlocks looked he had more of a rats nest up top. Everyone in my boat including the guide had to make a few quick comments about the  motley head of hair. 

Ok, I'm home!

Was fun rafting with (a few of) my friends.
Final count at the River was 75!!

Yahoo.
Lets do it again next year.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Ok, I'm home!

Was fun rafting with (a few of) my friends.
Final count at the River was 75!!

Yahoo.
Lets do it again next year.

Ride safe, Ted
Welcome home Ted. Thanks for all the work on the raft trip. That was a most excellent adventure!  :beerchug:

Let's go sky diving next year.

My wife sez I'm crazy,,, but I'm game.  :great:

But (somehow) I don't think we'll get 75 others to do it with us!!! (buncha Sissies)

Went thru Moab on the way to/from National. They were doing tandem jumps there. WOW!!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Sheezonit; So this means you'll be in Tennessee if I could arrange Sky Diving?  <sly grin>

Can someone please send me photo's/video's of a certain fool (ie; ME) riding on the nose of our raft thru the rapids.

AND falling off the raft, with a Little help from my friends!  :mad:

Ride safe, Ted

By the way,,,,, I have a question;
2014,, do we want to do another rafting trip?

connie_rider said:
AND falling off the raft, with a Little help from my friends!  :mad:

Ride safe, Ted
friend singular :D That was some funny $%^& , sorry I don't have pics. Wasn't somebody taking video on our boat? Where's the video?

Tennessee is probably gonna be too far for me, not the distance, but the direction, eh? I can't get my bikes to go very far East, as it means coming out of the mountains......
But I WILL be looking at events in SW this winter and NW next summer.  And there is skydiving about 90 mins from where I live in Montana.

And yeah, we ALL want to see your falling out of the raft.....

Ok, I've been playing on the computer and making phone calls.
NOTE: If I get involved in this again,,, my wife's gonna beat me up....
          I've been beat up before. Lets plan on getting wet...    :))

Rafting: Pigeon River, Class 3-4 rapids, available Wed June 18
            They open the Dam periodically to assure good rafting.

Rafting: Nolichucky River, probably Class 3-4 rapids, available Wed June 18
            Undammed river so Rapids are sized according to rain..
            Was suggested by Ocoee River Outfitter

Rafting: Ocoee River, Class 4 and 4+ rapids,
            available only on weekends,,       
            They open the Dam on weekends to assure REALLY good rafting.
            Won't work during the National, but hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (thinkin' out loud)
              Possibly,,, Friday after the Nationals, some might want to go do a REALLY GOOD Raft TRIP, and then go home Sat?

Other rafting options may be available, Checking on it....

I was joking about this when I first mentioned it but,,,,  fyi
Skydiving: Located in Dandridge Tennessee, (UPDATE: info for the more adventuresome of you/us). 
    $199 per person, $75 additional for Video person, 3 or 4 persons per aircraft. Can do groups of up to 40 a day...

Thoughts??

Ride safe, Ted         

You know what falls outta the sky? Fools and birds**t! Having said that, I've made three jumps. Hmm, wonder what that makes me? Skydiving or rafting would work.

Hello Butch, thanks' for the reply.
Wish we had more time to talk in Idaho..

As this old discussion is very long,,,,, I'm going to start another discussion: it will be at:
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,46185.0.html
Please reply there....

Late one night,  (while drinking beer in the parking lot) someone asked what we could do to enhance "Ted's excellent Adventure" in 2014?
At the time,,, Skydiving/Tandem Jumps seemed like a good idea ...
So, (since returning home) I looked into it. It is possible.
For now The Skydiving is for discussion. I know that few would do it.
But,,, is here any actual interest???
Let me know.
NOTE: My wife has already told me I'm too old,,,, but Ya'll know "me"..  <evil grin>
By the way, Are there any experience Jumpers out there that could advise us?

I've been talking to 2 raft Outfitters. One on the Pigeon River. The other is on the  Nolichucky River.
BOTH sound like they would be good options. (some info on them is in an earlier post)

The Pigeon assures us rapids as they open the Dam to increase flow. It is shorter, takes a bit less time, and is closer to Rally central. (Awaiting more info on the Pigeon)
The Nolichucky trip would float us (9 miles) thru a deep canyon, has multiple rapid sections (with 1 section) being a 1/4 mile long. A break for lunch could be arranged for us while on the trip.

At this time, I'm leaning towards the Nolichucky, The Pigeon seems to be about equal to this years trip, the Nolichucky sounds better....  :)

The problem is: Cost!  This year we paid $30 a person, Next year, The Pigeon River would cost about $45.
                                                                                                The Nolichucky would cost us $60.
                        NOTE: I'm using my COG Frugalism Training to work on a price cut...
                                  (So far they've only reduced prices about $10)

My question to the COGdom is:  are ya'll willing to go,,, (with the extra costs)?

Ride safe, Ted

Rafting or skydiving are both great ideas.  I was a sport skydiver from 1975 to 1982, and was on the US Army Parachute exhibition team in Germany in the 70s.  It's great fun, and a lot safer than I-5 through Seattle-Tacoma.
I'm in for one or both.