• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

These are the voyages of the....

Pics in one thread would be great. For tech questions, it would help others to post those separately. It will be much easier to find. Just a suggestion.

It was too beautiful of a day to stay in The Swamp, so I decided to get out into some nature!

Left dark and early!

20231005_061542.jpg

Gotta go ATGATT on longer trips:

20231005_061652.jpg

Took about 3 hours to get to the beginning of the fun:

20231005_092913.jpg

20231005_092959.jpg

20231005_094238.jpg

More pics when I get back!!

-x01660

When you're going on a long trip, its important to have (somewhat) healthy snacks:

20231005_101926.jpg

As well as making sure you hydrate!

20231005_102036.jpg

On this ride today, I rode the entirety of Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park. About 102 miles, start to finish (Afton to Front Royal):

1.png

And let me tell ya; it was a a blue bird day:

20231005_120353.jpg

Ok... maybe not blue bird, but it sure as heck was pretty:

20231005_124706.jpg

Last edited:
@x01660 have you ever ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway? If you enjoyed the Skyline Drive you would LOVE the BRP. Further south, especially last 1/3 is simply perfect.

We have ridden the BRP 6 years in a row, some years multiple times and loved it. Rockies have their place but they BRP can be just as enjoyable or more so!!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

@x01660 have you ever ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway? If you enjoyed the Skyline Drive you would LOVE the BRP. Further south, especially last 1/3 is simply perfect.

We have ridden the BRP 6 years in a row, some years multiple times and loved it. Rockies have their place but they BRP can be just as enjoyable or more so!!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I have not!! I moved to DC 2 years ago, and this is the first solo trip over 50 miles I've made since I moved here.

However BRP (and Tail of the Dragon down in TN) are DEFINITELY on the bucket list of things to do. And soon!

-x01660

Looks like a great ride. I grew up nearby in Ellicott City but somehow have never been on Skyline drive.

Must have been tempting to just follow the sign to the BRP.

Peace and Tranquility -x01660

Looks like a great ride. I grew up nearby in Ellicott City but somehow have never been on Skyline drive.

Must have been tempting to just follow the sign to the BRP.

Peace and Tranquility -x01660

Its beautiful country out here.... reminds me of the hills of Santa Ynez in CA:

IMG_20150209_133554986.jpg

IMG_20150209_133448587.jpg

And yes. I was SUPER tempted to go South instead of North today, but alas... I had to get back to ye ol' swamp...

šŸ˜«
šŸ˜Ž

-x01660

Very nice. I spend time with family in Front Royal, which is at the north end of Skyline Drive as you know. Beautiful area.
"Canoe Capital of Virginia." My wife was born and raised in Front Royal, I was born and raised in Loudoun County although I left many years ago.
I have been considering a BRP and Skyline Drive ride, now that I'm retired.

A beautiful walk in the vineyards of MĆ¢connais, Beaujolais :love:
1696569047-20201025-081052.jpg

1696569162-20201025-082044.jpg

1696569206-20201025-090031.jpg

1696569250-20201025-091547.jpg

1696569344-20201025-081719.jpg

Last edited:
A beautiful walk in the vineyards of MĆ¢connais, Beaujolais :love:
1696569047-20201025-081052.jpg

1696569162-20201025-082044.jpg

1696569206-20201025-090031.jpg

1696569250-20201025-091547.jpg

1696569344-20201025-081719.jpg

Bernard!! WOW!!!! Just, wow!!

I LOVE vineyards! They're so scenic to ride through! And that hillside is gorgeous!

This picture was taken along Santa Rosa Rd, a famous winery area right outside of Lompoc, CA:

20171103_131607.jpg

And I took this picture in Santa Barbara (Montecito to be specific, looking West (the mountains and ocean in SB face south, and run East-West) after a rain:

IMG_20141203_162655.jpg

-x01660

Don't see too many GS1150's anymore. I used to have an ES in that color scheme. Nice.

Oh, Pandora was my baby!!! And a TOTAL hooptie with an ENTIRELY too fast engine in it (had an 1166 kit installed in it). Yes, that's a Cherry Bomb that I used as a muffler (and random pipe fittings as bar-end stabilizers):

IMG_20150118_164748.jpg

And I've been riding a motorcycle exclusively for the past 10 years or so. When you gotta transport stuff, you somehow find a way:

IMG_20141001_085453.jpg

But she got me out and into the world. Being in SB also didn't hurt as relates to seeing AWESOME cars:

IMG_20140503_143417.jpg

IMG_20140503_142858.jpg

šŸ˜Ž

-x01660

Tell me that's not a refrigerator on the back of the blue 1150.šŸ˜³šŸ‘

HA!! They're the same bike (I had 2 tanks), and yes. That's a mini fridge (only about 20-30 lbs-just large). Had to deliver it to my boss's rental property in Isla Vista (UCSB students).

Rode 10 miles on surface streets to get it there.

I had the cords tied in such a way that it wanted to lean towards me, instead of off the back of the bike, and I used it as a backrest.

Worked GREAT! šŸ¤£

Edit: I think I posted this picture before, but this was on my trip moving from Ventura to Modesto (2nd trip to grab my stuff-310 miles each way):

20191216_090817.jpg

-x01660

Last edited:
OK...my impression of you just went up in some categories...down in others.
Certainly inventive and creative categories you're way up...crazy category šŸ¤
My brother had only a motorcycle for a couple of years a long time ago, he lives in Chicago...yes, I told him he was crazy also.
Good on you that you've found a way to get what.yoi need done on 2 wheels.

OK...my impression of you just went up in some categories...down in others.
Certainly inventive and creative categories you're way up...crazy category šŸ¤
My brother had only a motorcycle for a couple of years a long time ago, he lives in Chicago...yes, I told him he was crazy also.
Good on you that you've found a way to get what.yoi need done on 2 wheels.

Mind you, that was back in 2014.... I'm a lot older and safer now, lol. I'd never do something like that anymore.

But when you're young and dumb, well....

šŸ˜Ž

-x01660

I have not!! I moved to DC 2 years ago, and this is the first solo trip over 50 miles I've made since I moved here.

However BRP (and Tail of the Dragon down in TN) are DEFINITELY on the bucket list of things to do. And soon!

-x01660
If you head down the BRP way, let me know. We can meet up at the VA/NC linešŸ‘šŸ‘

If you head down the BRP way, let me know. We can meet up at the VA/NC linešŸ‘šŸ‘

I'll definitely do that! I actually have a question about BRP; obviously, you can't do the entire thing in a day (at least at the speed limit), so I assume that there are campgrounds and hotels all along the way? This would be something that I'd want to start in Front Royal, and ride along the crest until I get to TN. Then I'll take superslab back to DC. Going at a moderate pace (I was doing about 50-55 on my ride yesterday-PERFECT speed for the empty roads), how long does the whole ride take? I'm assuming I'd probably want about 3 days to do the whole thing and get back; that sound about right?

Also, when is the best time of year to go? For me, the best time of year is when there's minimal traffic and road obstacles. I can deal with a little cold or a lot of heat, and I'll probably try to go during the week, or when there's a big sporting event going on.

Thoughts?

-x01660

I'll definitely do that! I actually have a question about BRP; obviously, you can't do the entire thing in a day (at least at the speed limit), so I assume that there are campgrounds and hotels all along the way? This would be something that I'd want to start in Front Royal, and ride along the crest until I get to TN. Then I'll take superslab back to DC. Going at a moderate pace (I was doing about 50-55 on my ride yesterday-PERFECT speed for the empty roads), how long does the whole ride take? I'm assuming I'd probably want about 3 days to do the whole thing and get back; that sound about right?

Also, when is the best time of year to go? For me, the best time of year is when there's minimal traffic and road obstacles. I can deal with a little cold or a lot of heat, and I'll probably try to go during the week, or when there's a big sporting event going on.

Thoughts?

-x01660
You could do the whole route in a day from the VA line to Cherokee NC where it ends but youā€™d miss out on the scenic overlooks and such. Iā€™ve been riding it the last 5 years and still pull over to enjoy the views. Speed limit goes from 35 to 45 in spots. National Park Service patrols it and Iā€™m told a speeding ticket is Federal. During the week is best to avoid a lot of traffic. Wouldnā€™t go later than the first week of November as it is a lot colder on the ridge than down below and has had cases of snow and ice. Theyā€™ll shut the road down for that.
There are places to stay relatively close by in spots.
Hope this helps
57E4F745-4AE3-454A-9067-FCD44522B88F.png

Thoughts?

-x01660
Suggest you take 5 days starting and ending in the DC area.
  1. 3 days down the Skyline and BRP.
  2. 1 day for the Smokey Mtns and regional roads
  3. 1 day slabbing it back
Trust me on thisā€¦. Above is a minimum of days needed, if you add just one more day it will be a much better trip.

If you need assistance PM me weā€™ll talk about me building you a trip. Iā€™ve led a few groups down through the region and theyā€™ve all been a blast! Also to the point of @cragantler stop at the many overlooks and roadside attractions, you must experience the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains not just burn through them.

You can cut some time out but you are here to enjoy the area and the fun roads. About the roads you will have over 800 miles of twisty fun roads and at the least 2 dozen stops at points of interest over the days, some will be 30 second stops and others an hour - if I were building the trip.

Then regarding tickets (performance awards) the DOE will give you a solid 10 over, and thereā€™s plenty of space for safe fun above that.

After school starts in fall is best - even right now is very good. Get too much later it is roll of dice on weather.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I would love to travel this route, I think to fully appreciate it you have to travel in different seasons and in both directions and of course take your time to appreciate the scenery ;)

We have this in France, it is not bad and very picturesque in places, in addition to the departure and 2 hours from home by the highway.

Last edited:
Got a quick shot of these lights that I got from @Jpd11958 (Jeff) while I was out last night. The combination of the Hella spot lights plus the LEDs makes for LOTS of vision, far down the road. Its GREAT!

20231021_200050.jpg

-x01660

Some shots of the lighting.
  1. Bike off
  2. Low beams
  3. High beams
  4. Low beams with aux lights
  5. High beams with aux lights

20231026_222222.jpg

20231026_222237.jpg

20231026_222247.jpg

20231026_222331.jpg

20231026_222340.jpg

You can modify the antler covers to cover the hole with the antlers in place.
Looks even better.

Ride safe, Ted

Is there a writeup on how to do that, because I'll do that RIGHT NOW, lol. Thanks!

-x01660

Search is your friendšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Thanks Crag.
I didn't remember that discussion.
The photo's (that M in SC posted) did a good job of showing the drilling process, and the covers in place {after the holes are added}.

When I did mine, I didn't have a pointy (body) bolt to use.
I had to cut the head off a bolt and sharpen the end on a grinder.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I take back 1/2 the nasty things I sed about you. šŸ˜µ

Last edited:
@connie_rider , here's that picture you requested of my rear chicken strip:

View attachment 37329

-x01660
Ok, some of the experts need to jump in here.
I see;
About 1/4" left of good rubber near the edge, so you're not leaning past the edge.
Also see that it's not as squared off as I suspected from your post.
Also seems to be a belted/maybe older tire?
,,, So, rubber may be getting hard.
No feathering on the leading/trailing grooves.
Most of the groove depths are still ok for water on the road. (But the center is getting close to gone)

Ride safe, Ted

Look what I found on Ebay and bought!!!!

1.png

I should be able to bolt the backrest from that other backrest I bought to that, and I have a buddy who's welding a little extender platform for my GIVI topcase, so I can move it slightly off the back of the bike (and not break it this time; Archimedes was right....) and have my topcase AND a rigid backrest for the missus.

Will report back with results!

-x01660

View attachment 37524

I should be able to bolt the backrest from that other backrest I bought to that, and I have a buddy who's welding a little extender platform for my GIVI topcase, so I can move it slightly off the back of the bike (and not break it this time; Archimedes was right....) and have my topcase AND a rigid backrest for the missus.

-x01660
Great price!! Good find.

View attachment 37524

-x01660
That's where I found mine years ago too .

Attachments

• 20211230_123029_HDR.jpg
    20211230_123029_HDR.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 33
Ebay is on a ROLL!!!!

1.png

I bought this specifically for those spacers and bolts, since I lost mine (stupidly).

So i'll have this rack for sale (minus the spacers and bolts) as soon as I get it, if anyone needs one. And I'll sell it cheap. $10+ shipping. :)

šŸ˜Ž

-x01660

Went out today and did something I've been needing to do since I got Voyager. Freaking FINALLY!

20231213_154756.jpg

BTW, I've got a spare centerstand and 2 spare sidestands if anyone needs one or the other.

šŸ˜Ž

-x01660

Reactions: Bud
Here's a serious question. Humorous, but serious.

Can anyone recommend a good cupholder for a C10? Something that will hold, say, the largest drink that Wendy's or McDonald's has to offer? And something that will have some stability to it. Maybe gyroscopic...

Love to hear your recommendations. Bonus points if you actually have used it on a Connie before!

-x01660

A later version and more versatile. Can RAM ball it a lot of places. Can take off if not needed. Still use it today on a RTIMG_3223.JPGIMG_3224.JPGIMG_3225.JPGšŸ˜Š

Used a bicycle bottle cage on a couple C10's. Bolted to the inner black piece that has the pocket. That's a average size cage but larger ones may be available. It's on the right side but might be handier on the left. HTH View attachment 37540

Your bike is pretty.... I LOVE Voyager's gold, but Red, Blue, and Black ALL look SO good....

Ugh.... I see more C10s in my future..... my (soon to be) wife is gonna kill me.... And I still haven't brought Off-Kilter from CA yet.....

šŸ˜

-x01660

Ok, y'all have a few hours to help me out here;

I'm gonna go on another all day ride tomorrow. Planning on leaving at 6am, and would prefer to be back in DC by the time the sun goes down (mostly because of the cold and not because of visibility), though I can push that out a bit.

I was planning on heading south to Afton, VA and doing Skyline Drive again, but if anyone can recommend a better ride that ends up in a loop, I'll make the trip! And if you're along the way, I'll come say hello.

So let me know! I'll respond on here by 10pm EST to let y'all know what I decided.

Thanks!

EDIT: I think I'm gonna ride down to Lexington, VA, then take BRP/Skyline Dr. back. Will leave at 4am to get there by 9, and have all day to ride back. So if you want me to come visit, let me know soon! :p

-Z

Last edited:
If anyone gets this; I have a high pitched whine that's coming through the fairing starting at 55mph and getting higher until I can't hear it after about 70. Sounds like air almost. Could it be tire noise? I took my bike to a shop. Also notice that my mirrors are a little vibraty. Bike feels fine. I'm in the road, so ill check soon. Thanks!

Some do have a sound like that. My 05 with 50k didn't. My son's 87 with 100k and my 01 with 50k do. IIRC it's only on throttle and goes away off throttle. If this is what you're talking about it's good. There's also a balancer down on the bottom right side that can make noise. We don't hear much about those though. The fix is to loosen the holder and adjust. I think that's mentioned in the shop manual. HTH

Some do have a sound like that. My 05 with 50k didn't. My son's 87 with 100k and my 01 with 50k do. IIRC it's only on throttle and goes away off throttle. If this is what you're talking about it's good. There's also a balancer down on the bottom right side that can make noise. We don't hear much about those though. The fix is to loosen the holder and adjust. I think that's mentioned in the shop manual. HTH

That's exactly what it is. Thanks!!!

Though I wonder why it started after my tire change. Maybe the mechanic tightened something..

-Z

If anyone gets this; I have a high pitched whine that's coming through the fairing starting at 55mph and getting higher until I can't hear it after about 70. Sounds like air almost. Could it be tire noise? I took my bike to a shop. Also notice that my mirrors are a little vibraty. Bike feels fine. I'm in the road, so ill check soon. Thanks!
In really COLD weather (~20), my speedo would occasionally begin to squawl, as opposed to a whine. Annoying, but it would usually clear up after a few miles, or the temps started getting up in the high 20s.

Quick update; sound is there, but bike is fine. Did 200 miles, mix of 75, 60, and 55. Got 36.4 MPG. Need to check plugs. Also, BRP was closed about 12 miles outside Waynesboro:

1000002186.jpg

1000002187.jpg

Ended up going around and catching Skyline Dr from Afton again. Taking a chow break, and headed back.

1000002189.jpg

It's a beautiful day. Was COLD this morning. Down to about 27F. Need to get better cold weather gear. In the mountains now, it's about 48F. Perfect riding weather. At least compared to this morning.

In any case, ill see you all later!!!

1000002183.jpg

šŸ¤Ŗ

-Z

Attachments

• 1000002185.jpg
    1000002185.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 10
@x01660 Nice ride this morning!

For cold weather riding - Electric Heated gear IS a game changer. I resisted and layered up for years then, after half reluctantly making the investment, wondered why I wasted so many years being uncomfortable with a stay puffed marshmallow like figure. Also the layers really bothered my wifeā€™s neck and shoulders.

FWIW we use the Cycle Gear / Revzilla house brand Hotwired gear (jacket and pant liners) and have no complaints. Ours are plug-in to the C-14 with a basic low, medium, high controller carbon filament heating system which delivers instant, equal heat. Also there are battery powered options (I have no experience with these) as well and even Bluetooth options for finer temp control via your phone.

Recently riding with heat setting on low or medium I could not tell the difference between an 80*F day in July vs low 20ā€™s in November. This ride was with my regular clothing, no layersā€¦!

Words to the wise - bring your layers (especially on a long committed ride) just in case something goes wrong with the electronics. Testimonials though show the gear we have has been very reliable and may be partly because thereā€™s not all the extra controllers and hardware to go blink-oā€¦

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I'm back!! And now I'm gonna take a nap. I'll debrief a bit later.

But all in all, not a bad day:

20231223_050325.jpg

20231223_153413.jpg

Also:
For cold weather riding - Electric Heated gear IS a game changer. I resisted and layered up for years then, after half reluctantly making the investment, wondered why I wasted so many years being uncomfortable with a stay puffed marshmallow like figure. Also the layers really bothered my wifeā€™s neck and shoulders.

I agree about the heated gear. Especially for multiday trips. That said.... I hope this doesn't come across as "macho" or "manly" or whatever BS, but.... I'm a firm believer in the fact that today's society is much too easy.... it makes you (general) soft. Nice weather when you go outside, AC in the car, in your work, in your house.... And I work from home in IT.... its too easy to become soft. I specifically choose to ride in cold/heat specifically to acclimatise myself to the different temps. And to endure. It was cold this morning. VERY cold. But you tough it out. Because that's what you do. Same thing with heat. I'll drink water, but I'll be ATGATT and literally have sweat dripping down my sleeves. Same idea. Toughens you up a bit.

I'll say this; the happiest time I had during my time at West Point was when I was doing orienteering in November in the cold and wet, exhausted, yet pushing to find that point on the map....

šŸ˜Ž

-Z

Last edited:
Yes, I haven't done it, but I have read that section of the manual. It's an unexpectedly simple and crude procedure. You loosen the balancer locking bolt, start the engine, then rotate the balancer adjustment shaft until you hear "a whirring noise", then back off a tiny bit before it made noise and tighten the bolt down.

Nice ride Zach!
One accessory you may want to look into are the two spoilers, or wings, or wedges, that mount to the rear edge of the fairing.
Their shape is like what is found on the trunk lip of some performance cars, and they punch a wider hole through the air.
I had a set for my C10 (2005 like yours) and I think they're worth about 10 degrees F for your lower body because they keep your lower body out of the airflow. I would put the on in October and take them off in late March- they are great.

I specifically choose to ride in cold/heat specifically to acclimatise myself to the different temps. And to endure. It was cold this morning. VERY cold. But you tough it out. Because that's what you do. Same thing with heatā€¦.
I appreciate the man vs nature/ element dynamic. We have ridden a handful of challenging 1,000+ mile days and the sense of completion is awesome.

That said, average day being 500 miles, there comes the time and point I would rather use technology and tools vs mind over matter and being miserable or less comfortable. Not much different than GPS vs Map/Compass.

Glad you got out today looks awesome!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I appreciate the man vs nature/ element dynamic. We have ridden a handful of challenging 1,000+ mile days and the sense of completion is awesome.

That said, average day being 500 miles, there comes the time and point I would rather use technology and tools vs mind over matter and being miserable or less comfortable. Not much different than GPS vs Map/Compass.

Glad you got out today looks awesome!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Oh, I agree 100%. I'm gonna look at that heated gear that you recommended and probably get it in Feb. A MAJOR part of how exhausted I was/am was the cold fatigue. I had some battery heated mitts and I'm REALLY happy I brought those because they at least kept my hands not numb in the morning time. I lost feeling in my toes until around 11am....

So yes on heated gear. I have a question about that, though, since I've never used heated gear; how do connect it to the bike, and how much voltage does it take? After I mount my tip over bars, I think I'm gonna get some KC Hilites Xenon pods that are gonna use around 130W for the pair. Will there be enough wattage left over for say, gloves, vest, and socks?

-Z

Oh, I agree 100%. I'm gonna look at that heated gear that you recommended and probably get it in Feb. A MAJOR part of how exhausted I was/am was the cold fatigue. I had some battery heated mitts and I'm REALLY happy I brought those because they at least kept my hands not numb in the morning time. I lost feeling in my toes until around 11am....

So yes on heated gear. I have a question about that, though, since I've never used heated gear; how do connect it to the bike, and how much voltage does it take? After I mount my tip over bars, I think I'm gonna get some KC Hilites Xenon pods that are gonna use around 130W for the pair. Will there be enough wattage left over for say, gloves, vest, and socks?

-Z
Power is 12V.

I am unsure for C-10 what the available wattage is, without doubt itā€™s available here on the site.

You can easily attach a direct power lead to the battery with the correct plug to connect your gear. I would advise looking at installing a keyed powered outlet or fuse box.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Unless you want to upgrade the alternator to a zzr1200 model, you might want to go led on lights if you're going to get heated gear. 130 watts for lights alone is sucking a lot of juice. I second Jorge's suggestion regarding the fairing extenders. Go to Murph's site and you'll see my 01 with them installed.

Power is 12V.

I am unsure for C-10 what the available wattage is, without doubt itā€™s available here on the site.

You can easily attach a direct power lead to the battery with the correct plug to connect your gear. I would advise looking at installing a keyed powered outlet or fuse box.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Pretty certain guy young has already done the math a d posted that here somewhere on the forum. Do a search by his name, itll list all the threads he's participating in.

I actually found that article a while ago, along with the savings from switching everything over to LEDs.

I think the total idle wattage available after the switchover was 54 watts. Here's the post:

I currently have those Hella HIDs and those Nilight LEDs on there. It is enough lighting (though I ALWAYS want brighter, lol), so I'm hoping I'll be ok with heated gloves, vest and socks.

Looks like I'm gonna have to install a voltmeter on Voyager!

Edit: I just checked wattage for the heated gear from Revzilla.

• Glove inserts: 22W
  • Vest: 74W
  • Pant liner: 74W
  • Soles: 17.W
That's 187W total for all the gear.... The alternator puts out what? 300 at peak?

Think that'll be an issue with the lights I have? I may actually need to upgrade to a ZZR1200 alternator....

-Z

Last edited:
For reference the Cycle Gear heated gear comes with a battery lead with a 15 amp fuse. The control is built into the gear and it turns off when power is turned off. I got gloves, and a heated jacket liner for myself and my wife. I have a standard vest liner in my old leather jacket and found that my arms still got cold. With the full jacket liner even on my Versys 650 I was good down to 36F this fall. I had the vest on low and the gloves at medium. With both liners and the gloves on high they draw real close to the 15 amps so I the SEA to gear wiring adapter so my wifes can be powered by my battery tender lead.

Actually, I think I can make this work. If I get two of these:

And mount them on my tip over bars, and get rid of the rest of the lights, I think I'll be good. That will be MORE than enough lighting, at only 60W.

Expensive, but what price can you put on visibility?

šŸ˜Ž

-Z

Got a question about the C14; how much more powerful is it than the C10? And can a decently adept rider push it hard in the mountains? I know the answers are "a lot more" and "yes", but I'd like some elaboration. I want my next bike I get to be the one that I'm gonna have for a long time. I am keeping Voyager, but I do also want something a bit more modern. Trying to decide between the C14 and an FJR. Y'all have gotten to know me a bit and my riding style, so I'd like to hear your comparisons of the C14 and C10 and FJR. I'm also considering a ZX-14 and putting bags/bars, etc.

Please let me know what you think about all or a part of the above. Thanks!

-Z

140 HP vs 90...
With a flash, header, and slip on, mebbe150 VS 90..

The biggest difference is how Fuel Injections makes the power instant.

Last edited:
140 HP vs 90...
With a flash and slip on, mebbe150 VS 90..

The biggest difference is how Fuel Injections makes the power instant.

What about handling? I know she's a big girl, but could I do a track day with a C14? Or get into some tight mountain twisties? How good is the handling of a C14 in the hands of someone who's a decent rider? And how does it compare with an FJR?

-Z

Both are great fun in the twisties and can-do track days.
A C-14 just does it better.
I've done several Track Days with the club.

Ride safe, Ted

What about handling? I know she's a big girl, but could I do a track day with a C14? Or get into some tight mountain twisties? How good is the handling of a C14 in the hands of someone who's a decent rider? And how does it compare with an FJR?

-Z
Canā€™t tell you FJR handling from experience.

C-14, with proper suspension setup and inputs is a rather flickable machine. The platform is nimble, light (feeling) and has more than enough power to overcome the weight. I gather you enjoy the interaction with the machine when riding and not afraid to add input - thatā€™s all the C-14 needs - a little extra input on the handlebars and sheā€™ll dig deep, hard and do it fast.

I have pondered a ZX-14 but keep coming back to: The C-14 has more than enough power for our current needs and a ZX-14 would only bring a couple items to the table then scuttled the thought.

Having owned both the C-10 and C-14 the performance difference is maybe similar to Fordā€™s 4 cylinder and a 5.0 Mustang lineage. Some may say itā€™s not quite that large of a gap but the differences are significant.

Now if youā€™re never going to ride 2-up and want some serious out of the box power then yes I would say a ZX-14 or even ZX-14R are affordable used options. Then thereā€™s the newer technology H2 SX-SEā€¦

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Canā€™t tell you FJR handling from experience.

C-14, with proper suspension setup and inputs is a rather flickable machine. The platform is nimble, light (feeling) and has more than enough power to overcome the weight. I gather you enjoy the interaction with the machine when riding and not afraid to add input - thatā€™s all the C-14 needs - a little extra input on the handlebars and sheā€™ll dig deep, hard and do it fast.

I have pondered a ZX-14 but keep coming back to: The C-14 has more than enough power for our current needs and a ZX-14 would only bring a couple items to the table then scuttled the thought.

Having owned both the C-10 and C-14 the performance difference is maybe similar to Fordā€™s 4 cylinder and a 5.0 Mustang lineage. Some may say itā€™s not quite that large of a gap but the differences are significant.

Now if youā€™re never going to ride 2-up and want some serious out of the box power then yes I would say a ZX-14 or even ZX-14R are affordable used options. Then thereā€™s the newer technology H2 SX-SEā€¦

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Thanks for this. 2 up is very important. And comfort while doing 2 up (to the point that I'm seriously considering a GL1800r1 for touring with the missus). How much more comfortable is the C14 vs C10 for the pillion?

My one concern is range; isn't the C14's tank a lot smaller? Will I be able to hit at least 200 on a tank?

I don't wanna go with too new technology. I think the C14 is perfect in terms of modernity/simplicity. I'm also a sucker for analog gauges.

Off the line, in a straight line, how would the C14 pull compared to, say, a same year ZX-6R?

My C10 is fantastic, but there are times where I was wishing I had a bit more power; I'm assuming that won't be the issue with a C14?

And between an ECU flash, slip ons, etc, what's the most amount of power I can reliably add without getting into the motor/FI? With the limiter removed, what kinds of top speeds will a C14 see? And for that part, how fast can you go on a C14 comfortably? Like, I feel I can sit at about 90 MPH on my C10. More than that, and things start to get a bit buzzy and floaty a bit. What about the C14?

Thanks!

EDIT: Has anyone on here turbo'd their C14? I'd love to see that thread.

-Z

Zach, a couple of comments that may help:
My brother has had Hurricane 1000 since new. One time we swapped and I LOVED how responsive it was, compared to my C10.
2 years ago he tried out my C14, two of his comments were "OMG, THE POWER!" and how flickable it is. He bought one in June.
Yes, tank is way smaller, but with Steve's flash, I get about 5 MPG better, and can do over 180 miles.
Tires and suspension have a lot to do with how they feel, and seats with comfort, even how they fit you. My brother has the OE seat (and likes it), I have the Corbin modular; my bike "feels" larger.
I have a 55 series rear, and he thinks mine feels twitchy.
Gotta find your happy settings.

Again my personal opinions below:
Thanks for this. 2 up is very important. And comfort while doing 2 up (to the point that I'm seriously considering a GL1800r1 for touring with the missus). How much more comfortable is the C14 vs C10 for the pillion?
For 2-Up I think a stock C-10 is more comfortable than a stock C-14.
My one concern is range; isn't the C14's tank a lot smaller? Will I be able to hit at least 200 on a tank?
You can get 200 miles per tank, without trying very hard either.
I don't wanna go with too new technology. I think the C14 is perfect in terms of modernity/simplicity. I'm also a sucker for analog gauges.

Off the line, in a straight line, how would the C14 pull compared to, say, a same year ZX-6R?
C-14 will best the ZX-6R to 60MPH then the ZX-6R will come around you just before the 1/4 mile mark. Guessing if kept going though the C-14 would eventually return the favor at higher speeds.
My C10 is fantastic, but there are times where I was wishing I had a bit more power; I'm assuming that won't be the issue with a C14?
Nope no issue.
And between an ECU flash, slip ons, etc, what's the most amount of power I can reliably add without getting into the motor/FI? With the limiter removed, what kinds of top speeds will a C14 see? And for that part, how fast can you go on a C14 comfortably? Like, I feel I can sit at about 90 MPH on my C10. More than that, and things start to get a bit buzzy and floaty a bit. What about the C14?
Supposedly low to mid 160ā€™s HP with AreaP full exhaust and tune, love mine. Now thereā€™s the question of practical street-able power as well. See Ivan and Steveā€™s pages for ECU Tuning and what exhaust combos etc. lots of reading on the site in this topic.

Closed Track, youā€™ll find the C-14 is very comfortable almost too comfortable at speeds well WELL above 100mph.
Thanks!

EDIT: Has anyone on here turbo'd their C14? I'd love to see that thread.

-Z
Search the forum YES someone possible a few have turbocharged. Read about the considerations before even thinking about it. I wonā€™t ever bother for this machine.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Yeah. It seems from what everyone has said on here, a C14 is gonna be the way to go for me.

The only thing I want is extra fuel capacity. I saw a post on here about an ST1100 that had a 3.6 aux fuel tank on it, for a total of 11(!!!) gallons. That sounds like a dream. Though I suppose having over 9 gallons (5.8+3.6) would be fantastic. Anyone recommend a good aux fuel tank with some capacity for a C14?

-Z

Yeah. It seems from what everyone has said on here, a C14 is gonna be the way to go for me.

The only thing I want is extra fuel capacityā€¦.
The way I look at it - the limitation of the C-14ā€™s 200 - 230 miles helps get you off the bike, (forcing) interaction with the culture in the areas you are passing by, is a fatigue buster (safely, more easily / thoroughly stretch) and refocuses your mind. I have one official completed Iron Butt - Saddle Sore - and a couple others that I didn't bother to document. The one I documented was on a C-10 but I assure you we never ran farther than 230 miles without a stop and the others on the C-14 we stopped somewhere in the 200 - 230 mile range. All the 1,000+ miles per 24 HR period are 2-up. Note: Although the C-14 tank is only 5.7-5.8 gallons it is nothing to get 40 - 44 mpg on the open road and far better can be had too if riding more consciously.

Search the site for auxiliary fuel tanks - there are some that were documented to be made. I recall one - VERY NICELY manufactured and fully integrated to the main tank (rather spendy at somewhere nearing $2K - few years ago - that was not including labor) added around 4 Gallons. The farkle I refer to was / is the Cadillac of an auxiliary tank for the C-14. Search it, was done, can be done and only limited by your imagination and how good you want it to look and of course goes without saying SAFETYā€¦

Very relevant detour - Couple years ago at a ride meetup involving some of us COGgers and another group there was a member from the other group who had a (guessing somewhere between a half and full gallon) aluminum auxiliary fuel tank. Before we shoved off for the afternoon's trip the rider wanted to top off her tank without needing to go to the gas station so she grabbed her auxiliary bottle, which was mounted on side of the bike by a saddlebag and opened it. Either the air vent was manual and was never activated before opening OR the air vent malfunctioned and fuel sprayed all over the bike and her. This was a blazing hot sunny day and now there was atomized fuel hitting many VERY hot surfaces of the motorcycle that just sat in the sun for the duration of lunch. Thankfully, nothing happened but this was a close call for the rider and those around. So, weigh the benefits and choose wisely in product purchases or design development.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

The only thing I want is extra fuel capacity. I saw a post on here about an ST1100 that had a 3.6 aux fuel tank on it, for a total of 11(!!!) gallons. That sounds like a dream. Though I suppose having over 9 gallons (5.8+3.6) would be fantastic. Anyone recommend a good aux fuel tank with some capacity for a C14?

-Z
Unless ur planning on doing alot of iron butt events, not worth the effort and expense. I get 200+220 mile to the tank, loaded with a Givi trunk on the back. The best I could go on my c10 was 230.

Unless ur planning on doing alot of iron butt events, not worth the effort and expense. I get 200+220 mile to the tank, loaded with a Givi trunk on the back. The best I could go on my c10 was 230.

I've done 280 on my C10 already. That was awesome. And yes. I plan on doing a LOT of IBR events. My goal is to eventually do the Keys to Barrow ride, but that in the future. So fuel capacity is important. And I can go a LONG time in one go; I stretch on the bike. Stand up, twist around, get the blood flowing.

I saw the thread with the custom made 3.6 gallon tank that sat in the pillion area. I would be willing to get that made. That's the perfect amount of fuel.

But barring that, I suppose I can get a 20L fuel bladder that's designed for motorcycles/offroad capabilities, and just have it strapped to the back.

-Z

20L of fuel weighs over 31lbs. That's a lot of weight to attach to the back of a motorcycle. I certainly wouldn't do it. Not to mention you still have to stop, get off the bike, unstrap it and pour it in the tank. Not worth the hassle IMO.

Reactions: Bud
It seems you'd want a semi-permanent auxiliary fuel tank; ine that is plumbed-in to the standard tank.
Since the C14 tank is "tall" (meaning there us a decent height difference betwen top and bottom points in the tank), it might be possible to use a couple of lines so fuel fills both tanks at same time, and drains both tanks, seamlessly. The aux tank would beed to be installed low, somehow, but I think it would be possible.
There are plenty of fuel quick-connects available so that could be done in a way tou can remove the aux tank when not needed and plug up the ports.

Got another 210 miles in today, and this time with the missus!!

We ended up going to Point Lookout State Park. Was a Union prison camp for Confederate soldiers:

1.png

And let me tell you.... it was cold (41F), but goddamn was it a BLUEBIRD day, and GORGEOUS. Like, WOW!! These photos are completely unedited:

20231230_114114.jpg

20231230_115536.jpg

20231230_114208.jpg

And I'm SO proud of Maryann (my fiance); she did 210 miles today and didn't complain once! For someone who had ZERO motorcycle experience before meeting me, she's really taken to it. BOSS lady. :)

Hope y'all got some miles (or maintanence) in today!!

-Z

Wow, that's
Got another 210 miles in today, and this time with the missus!!

We ended up going to Point Lookout State Park. Was a Union prison camp for Confederate soldiers:

View attachment 37655

And let me tell you.... it was cold (41F), but goddamn was it a BLUEBIRD day, and GORGEOUS. Like, WOW!! These photos are completely unedited:

View attachment 37656

View attachment 37657

View attachment 37658

And I'm SO proud of Maryann (my fiance); she did 210 miles today and didn't complain once! For someone who had ZERO motorcycle experience before meeting me, she's really taken to it. BOSS lady. :)

Hope y'all got some miles (or maintanence) in today!!

-Z
Wow, that's awesome and looks like a lot of fun! Impressive especially considering the cold weather!

I'm hoping my wife will enjoy some longer rides on the Connie this spring. Her comfort limit on my sportbikes prior to this has been about 30 minutes, so I'm hoping this will expand our radius a lot more, especially with a backrest.

Wow, that's

Wow, that's awesome and looks like a lot of fun! Impressive especially considering the cold weather!

I'm hoping my wife will enjoy some longer rides on the Connie this spring. Her comfort limit on my sportbikes prior to this has been about 30 minutes, so I'm hoping this will expand our radius a lot more, especially with a backrest.

Yeah, Maryann told me that the backrest was the single biggest thing that made that longer trips possible; it allows her to relax a bit and not have to sit upright and/or lean forward.

I also have a little cushion that I keep in my saddlebags for her that helps a lot. But as I've mentioned on here before, I'm gonna end up getting a GL1800r1 for us to go on super long trips. I'd ride a Connie to the end of the world, but I'm a biker, and a distance biker at that.
for longer trips, she'll need some comfort accoutrements...

Eh, its ok. N+1 and all that jazz....

šŸ˜Ž

-Z

My wife and I have been riding together for 45 years now. Back in 1980 I almost rolled her off the back of our KZ550 (first weekend ride). The next week we had a backrest. Every bike we have owned has had one, until the 1999 C-10. It was the first bike she felt comfortable on without a backrest. Of course by then she knew when I am going to crank it up or brake hard almost before I do. Several years later I added the factory backrest and rack to the 99 and our 05 has a Givi trunk. I added passenger floorboards also.

20190707_125440.jpg20210704_103256.jpg

We got to test a new Gold Wing a couple of years ago. She didn't like the position of the passenger floorboards. The drivers seat forced her knees out and the boards were tucked in too far her feet to reach comfortably. We have done 12 hour days in the rain on the C-10.

My wife and I have been riding together for 45 years now. Back in 1980 I almost rolled her off the back of our KZ550 (first weekend ride). The next week we had a backrest. Every bike we have owned has had one, until the 1999 C-10. It was the first bike she felt comfortable on without a backrest. Of course by then she knew when I am going to crank it up or brake hard almost before I do. Several years later I added the factory backrest and rack to the 99 and our 05 has a Givi trunk. I added passenger floorboards also.

View attachment 37663View attachment 37664

We got to test a new Gold Wing a couple of years ago. She didn't like the position of the passenger floorboards. The drivers seat forced her knees out and the boards were tucked in too far her feet to reach comfortably. We have done 12 hour days in the rain on the C-10.

Was this the GL1800r2? After the facelift and the addition of the 6th gear? I'm talking about the first revision GL1800 with the bug eyes.

Is that the one you tested? This is really good info. I guess we'll have to go sit on a few bikes.

I REALLY hope she doesn't end up liking a Harley the best.... šŸ™ƒ

-Z

Quick question about TC-W3;

Is there a benefit to running it in the bike if the bike is being run year round? The most either of my bikes (mostly the Vulcan) sits is about a week. And Voyager is run daily. Maybe I'll go at the most 3 days between running her.

In that case, is there a benefit to putting it in my fuel? I read that it helps against corrosion and tank rust, but does that apply if fuel is being run through it constantly?

And if not, what should I be doing to help with fuel woes? I have no access to ethanol-free gas anywhere near me, so I'm stuck with whatever is at the regular pump.

-Z

I wouldn't bother with it since you ride all the time.

Is there anything I CAN be doing to help with keeping the fuel system clean? Or anything I should be looking out for?

And if I need to replace a leaky petcock, is there some "upgrade" or enhancement I can do? I'm pretty sure my petcock is buggered....

-Z

Was this the GL1800r2? After the facelift and the addition of the 6th gear? I'm talking about the first revision GL1800 with the bug eyes.

Is that the one you tested? This is really good info. I guess we'll have to go sit on a few bikes.

I REALLY hope she doesn't end up liking a Harley the best.... šŸ™ƒ

-Z
It was a 2019 or 2020 Gold Wing Tour DCT. I wanted to see what the DCT was all about and any bike I look at she is part of it. At this show we rode a Versys 1000 and one of the Indian cruisers. I didn't ride but wish I had was a Zero and the HD Pan Am. All of our bikes are paid for so it makes it hard to look at a $28000 plus bike. There have been several bikes we have tested. Some didn't fit me, some didn't fit her. She liked the 99 C-10 so much she recommended we get a 2nd one.

Quick question about TC-W3;

Is there a benefit to running it in the bike if the bike is being run year round? The most either of my bikes (mostly the Vulcan) sits is about a week. And Voyager is run daily. Maybe I'll go at the most 3 days between running her.

In that case, is there a benefit to putting it in my fuel? I read that it helps against corrosion and tank rust, but does that apply if fuel is being run through it constantly?

And if not, what should I be doing to help with fuel woes? I have no access to ethanol-free gas anywhere near me, so I'm stuck with whatever is at the regular pump.

-Z
I treat the gasoline all summer long - every tank when I'm home. It's inexpensive, a shot glass or two at a time. Can't hurt the engine and the plugs don't mind. I want to see some color in the clear as water gasoline we now use.
Honestly, I've never had any small engine issues I could blame on ethanol; at work before I retired we had 6 chainsaws, push mowers, a Honda generator, pole saws, 4 back pack leaf blowers. We tried to treat that gasoline with TC-W3 consistently.
Ethanol free gas around here is at least a dollar more a gallon so I mostly only use it to top off on the last ride of the season.

It was a 2019 or 2020 Gold Wing Tour DCT. I wanted to see what the DCT was all about and any bike I look at she is part of it. At this show we rode a Versys 1000 and one of the Indian cruisers. I didn't ride but wish I had was a Zero and the HD Pan Am. All of our bikes are paid for so it makes it hard to look at a $28000 plus bike. There have been several bikes we have tested. Some didn't fit me, some didn't fit her. She liked the 99 C-10 so much she recommended we get a 2nd one.

This is the GL1800 I was talking about:

gl_1800_bike.jpg

Was it that one, or this one?

324812_21YM_HONDA_GL1800_GOLD_WING.jpg

I would be looking at getting the former.

-Z