• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

All my oil leaked out - I think this little hole is the culprit

scuba_ref676

Good day to all of you smarter than I Concours owners. I have a 2004, I'm not very mechanically inclined, and on the last ride (a few months ago at this point) I heard a popping sound. I parked the bike in the garage and over the next couple of days all of the oil leaked out of the bike. I'm finally at a point where I can look at it, so yesterday I pressure washed the area of the engine that was covered in oil and refilled the oil reservoir. I started the bike to get the oil dispersed and then laid down underneath to watch for oil.

I discovered what looks to be a manufactured OEM hole in a horizontal cylindrical section underneath the bike near the reservoir. I have a couple of pics, one with the oil wiped away and a second showing the oil starting to drip out of it. I'm wondering if this is some sort of a sensor location and I blew out the sensor by having the reservoir too full creating excess pressure.

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and resources are limited. The Bike shop here told me my bike is too old for them to work on. Any help I can get to figure this out would be fantastic.

It won't let me add a picture. I'm happy to send the pics to anyone that wants to see.

TIA
Stefan

Well apparently that hole is the water pump weep hole. Just found a youtube that is walking me through this. I have seen that topic all over this forum. Can anyone point me to a concise recap and how-to?

Hmm. If I remember correctly Steve (from shoodaben engineering) does a YouTube video (I think) about the water pump and replacing the oil seal within the pump. I believe that's where ur problem lies

Last edited:
.....if u were a full member you would be able to access the c10 technical area, I know its covered in there....

Membership has its privileges.....

Join for the bike and stay for the people....aloha

A bad seal at the Water Pump is known for leaking, but it's VERY doubtful that all you oil leaked from it.

What makes you think that all the oil had leaked out?

A bad seal at the Water Pump is known for leaking, but it's VERY doubtful that all you oil leaked from it.

What makes you think that all the oil had leaked out?
Because it was all over the garage floor and the view window was empty. I was able to catch the last quart an a half in a pan once I saw that it was leaking (the next day). It took a few days for it all to come out, I'm guessing at this point that the pop I heard was the seal coming completely unseated.

I can access the c10 Technical pages and found the write up. I will look for the youtube video as well. Have the parts ordered...just have to wait for them to get to Hawaii.

Hmm, when I had a c10 I had an issue with oil leaking out of the weep hole. It was most noticeable at start up. I watched the YouTube video and replaced the water pump seal and problem solved. I never lost as much oil as you are talking about or have I heard of any one else losing that much oil. I guess anything is possible. As the saying goes " YMMV"😁

The water pump oil seal is covered with oil when the bike is on the side stand. If the seal is blown all the way out it might be possible to leak a lot of oil onto the floor. It might even leak enough that oil would not be visible in the sight glass. It would take a long time to leak out of that small hole. You should start by fixing the water pump seal but look for other leaks before you put all the fairings back on.

My apologies: I don't know how long you've had the bike nor experience with changing the oil?
I asked about "all" the oil leaking out because I suspect the bike was seriously overfilled with oil.
When you said the "and the view window was empty", it makes me wonder more.
ie; The View Window "LIES".

What you've sed so far makes me think your unfamiliar with the filling and reading the oil level (??).
ie; On the C-10 there is a specific way to drain/fill and check the oil. EZ to overfill.
I'll try to find an article for you if needed?

Ride safe, Ted

A strange thing about the oil sight glass on a C-10 is that the oil drains out of sight of the glass after it sits for a while. No idea why, just the way it’s made. It’s still there. I guess that’s why there are two drain plugs. Don’t over fill it.

A strange thing about the oil sight glass on a C-10 is that the oil drains out of sight of the glass after it sits for a while. No idea why, just the way it’s made. It’s still there. I guess that’s why there are two drain plugs. Don’t over fill it.
Glad I never had that happen otherwise I certainly would have over-filled it.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Glad I never had that happen otherwise I certainly would have over-filled it.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

It’s common I think. Most people seem to open both plugs, drain the oil, put the plugs back in, dump in three qts, and don’t look back for 5,000 mikes.

I don’t doubt it’s common place.

I haven’t owned a c-10 for several years however the one I just restored has been sitting still for nearly 2 months and oil still same in the glass. Been sitting waiting for fork bushings as test drive proved the seals we toasted, that is a nightmare I’ll share another time.

Be well,
Wayne, Carol & Blue

Thank you all. The water pump seal and O rings are on on the way. I will swap them out and then see how she does. It was on the side stand and the oil leaked out over the course of a week or more, so it wasn't really quick.

Curious, what happens in an "oil overfill situation"?

Thank you all. The water pump seal and O rings are on on the way. I will swap them out and then see how she does. It was on the side stand and the oil leaked out over the course of a week or more, so it wasn't really quick.

Curious, what happens in an "oil overfill situation"?
For a serious amount it will be coming out the air filter , blows put of the crankcase vent.

I wouldn't be real surprised if the pump is ready for rebuild or replacement. I'm not sure that I would bother pulling it without doing one or the other.

I wouldn't be real surprised if the pump is ready for rebuild or replacement. I'm not sure that I would bother pulling it without doing one or the other.

IMO Replace is a much better long-term fix than rebuild.

I did a rebuild on the water pump on my 05. So far it is holding up. By the time you locate all the parts there is still a savings as opposed to buying a new one. Then you have to factor in the time it takes. Mine was leaking at the water seal not the oil seal. The oil seal can be replaced by just taking the pump off, the water seal needs the pump internals disassembled. Plus a leaking water seal will wash the lube out of the bearings, so they will rust. The replacement of the water pump on the C-10 is only a couple of hours, the rebuild adds more to that. I would do it again, but be prepared to purchase a new one if I damaged the housing or impeller. Murphs has a listing for them. I wouldn't rebuild it unless you see signs of bad bearings or water mixed with the oil.

What is the rebuild process?
I also had this happen to my C10. When the pump was removed, I found the seal was pushed out (towards the inside of engine) and actually in working condition. A NEW seal was used anyway, and after installation I used a centre punch to peen the metal edges in two places around the seal. There was nothing wrong with the water pump. This repair is still working as I know the current owner. IMHO. replacing the seal is the way to go. NOTE: Drain oil and water before removing the water pump.

I know you have your pump and seals/gaskets etc. on the way but a couple of things you said has made me curious.

You said you heard a popping sound. Was it a single pop or multiple pops? You also said all the oil drained out.

I would think the waterpump is mounted too high up on the engine case for oil to passively drain out. I experienced oil leaking from the waterpump on my 86 C10 but the amount of oil lost was nothing like what you describe. This same bike also blew oil up into the airbox on a long uphill grade I rode in top gear but the airbox would not hold 1.5 quarts.

So based on the amount of oil you say was lost I'm wondering if the oil filter plate seal failed - like maybe it was not sufficiently tightened and the oil pressure blew out the o-ring, ie popping sound? If most of the oil is gone already it might not hurt to inspect that o-ring.