• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NE Fall Foliage Rally 2012

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
Save the dates....  The 2012 Northeast Fall Foliage Rally dates and location have been locked in.

When: Thursday October 25th thru Sunday the 28th
Where:Best Western Inn at Hunt’s Landing, Matamoras, PA, 570-491-2400
This is a first rate hotel, with restaurant, lounge, indoor pool and fitness center. Situated in the beautiful Pocono foothills near Milford, PA, on the banks of the Delaware River, within easy reach of the Poconos, NY Hudson Valley & Catskill regions, and northern NJ.  This area offers spectacular riding in any direction and easy access for those traveling from a distance.  More details will follow in spring, so save the dates, and book your rooms early.
What:A Saturday night banquet will be held, menu to be decided soon.  The rally fee will be determined once the menu is decided.
Register: Click here to go to the Fall Rally web page

This event will have special room booking requirements and cut-off dates to get the special negotiated prices. Details should be ready and published in the next Northeast Newsletter and then posted here and the COG-Online Calendar.

Lodging Update: Best Western Inn @ Hunt’s Landing, 120 Rt. 6 & 209  570-491-2400  www.bestwestern.com/innathuntslanding
Room rate $91/night+tax+fees up until June 30, 2012
Reservations received after July 1, 2012 will be $129/night + tax.
Room reservation includes a full complimentary breakfast. No charges applied until check out.  Mention Concours Owners Group to get rooms held in our block.

Another delema. To stay at the hotel so close to home, or go home. And I will feel like I'm at work! But there's some nice riding in the area.

Cap'n Bob said:
Another delema. To stay at the hotel so close to home, or go home.
Going home at night requires too much sobriety for me.  And getaways like this are the only time I do much drinking.

Outback Jon said:
Cap'n Bob said:
Another delema. To stay at the hotel so close to home, or go home.
Going home at night requires too much sobriety for me.  And getaways like this are the only time I do much drinking.

Good point. Drinking with the bunch definitely creates problems going home.

Nice place, we stayed there back in 2009. The lobsterfeast is an amazing piece of entertainment. All you can eat; it's amazing how much people will pig out. So noisy in the dining room, it was tough to hold a conversation.  ::)

Cap'n Bob said:
Another delema. To stay at the hotel so close to home, or go home. And I will feel like I'm at work! But there's some nice riding in the area.

My brother-in-law lives 10 miles from the hotel in Milford, PA. but I still think I would stay at the hotel as long as I can afford it.  The bigger question will be whether I have a
medium.png
or
medium.png
football game at Meadowlands Stadium to work that weekend.  I got lucky this past fall rally that both teams were away that weekend.  Could I get that luck two years in a row?

COG-528 said:
The bigger question will be whether I have a
medium.png
or
medium.png
football game at Meadowlands Stadium to work that weekend.  I got lucky this past fall rally that both teams were away that weekend.  Could I get that luck two years in a row?

You could just take the days off like we all do to make it to the rallies and quit whinging.

S Smith said:
COG-528 said:
medium.png
or
medium.png

You could just take the days off like we all do to make it to the rallies and quit whinging.

Excuse me for being so poor that I need to work two and sometimes three jobs.  With your cavalier attitude you must be part of the 1%.

COG-528 said:
S Smith said:
COG-528 said:
medium.png
or
medium.png

Excuse me for being so poor that I need to work two and sometimes three jobs.  With your cavalier attitude you must be part of the 1%.

Not 1%, but not in agreement with the"occupy" attitude.  :-\

Sorry Mike, but your post came across slightly boastful [to me] about how bad it is being at a Giants/Jets football game.  Maybe a simple... "I may have to work that weekend" would not have been misunderstood as "I've got a better opportunity."

S Smith said:
COG-528 said:
S Smith said:
COG-528 said:
medium.png
or
medium.png

Not 1%, but not in agreement with the"occupy" attitude.  :-\

Sorry Mike, but your post came across slightly boastful [to me] about how bad it is being at a Giants/Jets football game.  Maybe a simple... "I may have to work that weekend" would not have been misunderstood as "I've got a better opportunity."
Why would I be boasting that I have to spend ten hours on my feet dealing with a hoard of obnoxious, argumentative, abusive football patrons?  When you teach an MSF class how often do you get cursed at and told you don't know what the f*** your doing?  When was the last time one of your students hit you with a motor? 

I only do it because the money is very good for a part time job.  But not good enough for me to be able to give up riding a 17 year old C-10 for something newer or attend rallies without worrying about the cost.

If I could afford it I would have quit a long time ago and gone back to enjoying Sunday rides in the fall.  This past season's Fall Foliage Rally was the first one I could attend in this century and only because I got lucky that both teams were out of town and Outback Jon was looking to share a room.  I'm hoping I get that lucky for this rally. 

COG-528 said:
Why would I be boasting that I have to spend ten hours on my feet dealing with a hoard of obnoxious, argumentative, abusive football patrons?  When you teach an MSF class how often do you get cursed at and told you don't know what the f*** your doing?  When was the last time one of your students hit you with a motor? 

Second jobs are second jobs and we all do what we must to get by.  The grass is always greener on the other side...  but I bet you will find many similarities.  MSF instructors are on their feet up to 10 hours a day, for a few consecutive days, deal with the public and some get irate and get in your face and some are wonderful.  I've had to jump out of the way of an out of control motor many times in my career and only struck once, and have been threatened more than once by an unsuccessful student.

We digressed enough. Let's get back to rally discussion.  PM me if you wish to continue our discussion.

Fall Rally Lodging Update: Best Western Inn @ Hunt’s Landing, 120 Rt. 6 & 209  570-491-2400  www.bestwestern.com/innathuntslanding
Room rate $91/night+tax+fees up until June 30, 2012
Reservations received after July 1, 2012 will be $129/night + tax.
Room reservation includes a full complimentary breakfast. No charges applied until check out.  Mention Concours Owners Group to get rooms held in our block.

Talk about early bird. You have to know for sure almost four months before the rally in-order to only pay the $100 per night.  :))

Cap'n Bob said:
Talk about early bird. You have to know for sure almost four months before the rally in-order to only pay the $100 per night.  :))

I did not negotiate the deal...  neither did you.  Want better rally deals... organize a rally yourself. Otherwise don't whine.  :))

The NFL schedules are out and I have to work a
medium.png
vs
medium.png
game on Sunday the 28th.  So I guess my participation in this fall rally will be limited to taking a ride out on Saturday to say  ^-^. 

I believe the rally dates are after Kundla's Open Pit Bar B-Q in Hamlin, near Lake Wallenpaupack, will have closed for the year.  But if there is any interest from the rally team I could layout a ride to
safe_image.php
through Northwest Jersey for the rally participants.  There is a lot of nice riding available in Jersey that will surprise people from outside this area.

COG-528 said:
  There is a lot of nice riding available in Jersey that will surprise people from outside this area.

I've heard that Chemical Coast has some nice riding. And you don't even need to bring your day glow riding gear.    :))

Way to go Wayne. Get in early and take advantage of room and rally fee discounts.
Any problem making reservations?

First signed up at COG. I'll call the Hotel tomorrow.

I've stayed there before, nice place. The all you can eat lobster night can be a bit entertaining, though. It's like a feeding frenzy with claw crackers.  :rotflmao:

Steve if you want to do something merchandise-wise specifically for the fall rally, let me know we can talk about it.

Anyone want to share a room? I don't snore! I'm thinking of coming up on Friday night and leaving Sunday morning. If you've already booked, I'll bring cash up front.

S Smith said:
RBean said:
Any camp grounds suggested for this event?

The rally host did not coordinate camping.  Google found this place about a mile away, but I know nothing about the place and can not be held liable for how good or bad it is.
http://www.tristatervpark.com/

It's a camp site right down the road from the hotel. It sits on the Delaware river right adjacent to I-84 and the I-84 Delaware bridge. It's mainly a RV park. I do not remember a lot of wooded area over there. And another question is weather they would even be open that late in October.

Thanks for info on campsites--as you know--a few of us former "Jarheads"--like the camping- Grunt style still!!!

Devil Dog said:
Thanks for info on campsites--as you know--a few of us former "Jarheads"--like the camping- Grunt style still!!!

Some of my best friends are former Marines.... well, "former" is hardly accurate even though they no longer have military ID cards.

Even us former Army guys like camping. I always camped until the last 15 years it got too painful just getting in and out of a backpacking tent, much less a small sleeping bag, so I can no longer camp unless its a big walk in tent. And where's the fun in that?

You folks who still camp, I'm envious of you. I have to stay in boring, clean, comfortable motel rooms.

BUMP....

Please remember to book your rooms now to get the best price...  the special room rate is $91/night+tax+fees up until June 30, 2012.  After this date the room rate jumps to $129/night+tax+fees. 

Best Western Inn @ Hunt’s Landing, 120 Rt. 6 & 209, Matamoras, PA, 570-491-2400
www.bestwestern.com/innathuntslanding

Room reservation includes a full complimentary breakfast.
No room charges applied until check out. 
Mention Concours Owners Group to get rooms held in our block.

I just checked, and they've got me in a room just off the lobby, so easy for me to hobble to. LOL.

So that verified, back to thinking about Kalyumet....

Devil Dog said:

Oh if you are looking for Grunt style camping you can always try Stokes State Forest or High Point State Park in New Jersey.  High Point is the closer of the two to the rally site.  Just know that Alcohol is prohibited in these campsites.

Room booked, hotel reservations made, see you fellows in October  ;D

I made sure my room was far away from Terry and his "love sheep"  :D :D

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
Terrynyc said:
Okay room booked and registered.  Even got me a roomie!  Let's do this!

Not the inflateable love sheep again...

Nope, my patch kit is on back order, and not even my usual roomie...I hope he doesn't get jealous! ;)

Cap'n Bob said:
Gigantor said:
Thanks for the reminder, I'm booked and ready to go, the next 4 months are gonna crawl.

Don't rush it too much. Winter is right behind it.    :eek:

True dat.... when we ride home from the Fall Folliage rally, for a lot of people, that is pretty much it..

Not me.  I might come by Saturday morning to go riding but that will be the extent of my participation.  I have to start a 10 hour shift at 7 AM Sunday morning for the Jets vs Dolphins game at Met Life Stadium.  Being poor sucks!

COG-528 said:
Not me.  I might come by Saturday morning to go riding but that will be the extent of my participation.  I have to start a 10 hour shift at 7 AM Sunday morning for the Jets vs Dolphins game at Met Life Stadium.  Being poor sucks!

You could just say that you have to work. Must we always get an itinerary?  Or the I'm so poor speech?  :rotflmao:  The "I have to work" would cover it all fine. And you would probably get less grief from azz hats like me that have to mess with ya.  ;)

COG-528 said:
Outback Jon said:
Reservation made.

Now I need a roommate.  Mike?
There.  Happy now?  :nananana:

Still need a roommate.  (I snore!)

P.S.  I had just finished an 18 hour shift when I made my reservations, so I don't want to hear you whine about 10 hours.  :nananana:  (And a total of 50 working hours since Tuesday!)

I bow to your longer work shift.  :truce:  I'm not trying to be competitive.  I was just talking about my second job getting in the way of my attending.  We all know at my age I badly need my beauty rest. ::)

COG-528 said:
  We all know at my age I badly need my beauty rest. ::)

Which is why I had to chuckle to myself when you mentioned you might meet for the Saturday morning ride.  Everyone knows you & mornings are arch enemies.

S Smith said:
COG-528 said:
  We all know at my age I badly need my beauty rest. ::)

Which is why I had to chuckle to myself when you mentioned you might meet for the Saturday morning ride.  Everyone knows you & mornings are arch enemies.

My roomy at the National was not a morning person, I think 9am was considered way too early to wake up. LOL. I'd get up at 6am and take a shower, get dressed, go have breakfast, and he'd still be asleep.

I shouldn't talk, when I was his age I was exactly the same.

We just signed up for this today- didn't want to wait unti lthe last moment  ::)  Looking forward to another event with you folks.

Brian

Eh, even driving in for a few hours would be interesting.

I'm stuck in the middle east, so no road time regardless of the work schedule.

Plenty of pictures please.

Just joined COG and I am interested in this Rally but wanted to get more info. I'm new so what happens at a Rally? Are there scheduled rides or do you just do your own thing? Sorry for the dumb questions!

jkenny said:
Just joined COG and I am interested in this Rally but wanted to get more info. I'm new so what happens at a Rally? Are there scheduled rides or do you just do your own thing? Sorry for the dumb questions!

You can do your own thing. Or like most folks, just hook up with other folks there and make plans. COG isn't big on scheduled rides. Although there are sometimes scheduled rides. They are normally more of non-rally rides. Although there sometimes have been scheduled rides at rallies. It's just not normally the what folks do.

jkenny said:

COG regional rallies like this are not like what you may be used to or heard about. They are all about the riding and camaraderie. The rally hosts will have sample ride routes and GPS files that can be downloaded form the member library (they just got posted in the NE Ride & Activity section of the library). Most folks head out in the morning and ride and then most are back by mid afternoon to kick tires and  tell stories in the parking lot or other common area around the motel.  No vendors... nothing planned... except the group banquet dinner on SAT evening (the rally fee predominantly covers the catered meal cost).

I think Steve has missed the mark entirely here. COG functions have little to do with motorcycling and are basically social in nature.

Rally functions usually start off in the closest parking lot after dinner. There are the nightly tellings of 'The Cat Joke' followed by abusing those smoking cigars and laughing at anyone caught in the high splash zone. Then there are helpful seminars; the one I remember from the Spring Fling was how to improve your story telling by injecting useful phrases at the right time.

But seriously, the COG rallies Andrea and I have been to are some of the best social events we have ever been a part of. Concours owners and COG members are about the nicest group of people I have ever met. If you are inclined in the least, try on a local rally; they are usually very inexpensive and a tremendous amount of fun.

Brian

S Smith said:
jkenny said:

COG regional rallies like this are not like what you may be used to or heard about. They are all about the riding and camaraderie. The rally hosts will have sample ride routes and GPS files that can be downloaded form the member library (they just got posted in the NE Ride & Activity section of the library). Most folks head out in the morning and ride and then most are back by mid afternoon to kick tires and  tell stories in the parking lot or other common area around the motel.  No vendors... nothing planned... except the group banquet dinner on SAT evening (the rally fee predominantly covers the catered meal cost).

My experience with COG, and its what keeps me participating, is the format is so enjoyable. Ride to the event, get room / campsite, go out in the parking lot, mingle, find He of the Cargo Shorts of Cold for a bear, and eventually go to sleep.

Get up the next day, go riding with a small or medium group, ride good roads, maybe eat some good food, return to event site. Rinse and repeat.

And its always different, even though the format is the same, because the mix of people changes.

Next year with my mc, I'm going to adapt this format to what has traditionally been a ride-together club but make the focus socializing and entertainment at the destination, not along the way. Or something to that effect.

Jkenny,  basically I go to the rallies to hang out with a great bunch of people.  I can ride anytime I want but I don't get to hang out with this crowd too often and when I do it's always been a great experience. 

All I can say is watch out for one guy in particular whose name won't be mentioned (Brian aka BDF, COG # 9125), he tells funny stories and is usually the life of the party but when he says "high splash zone", that's anywhere under his balcony or walkway.  And don't let him get a hold of your fob, he's been know to get them drunk.

Thanks for the info, and the heads up!! Ive been to rallies before just not one with this group, sounds like a good time. Where do I sign up, or do I just show up??

jkenny said:
Thanks for the info, and the heads up!! Ive been to rallies before just not one with this group, sounds like a good time. Where do I sign up, or do I just show up??

Go in the member area / calendar of the main site (click the gear symbol at top left of this page) and find the event in the appropriate month. Click the event title on the day it starts, and you will see if registration is needed.

Generally the major rallys (spring, fall, ....) cost money and require registration.

S Smith said:
jkenny said:
Where do I sign up, or do I just show up??

Signing up ahead of most club events is preferred as it gives an activity host an idea of head count.  All planned club activity is put on the Calendar of Events that you can find on the club's main web pages at: www.cog-online.org. If you are logged in on those pages your calendar will default to your home area. Click on this link to bring you right to the fall rally event page.

Spoken like a true AD.      :beerchug:

I'd love to attend this.....but it depends on whether I'm still in the NE area by then. I may have to sign up last minute.....

kathybrj said:
I'd love to attend this.....but it depends on whether I'm still in the NE area by then. I may have to sign up last minute.....
You'll still be welcome if you ride up from the Carolinas.  ;D  It's just hosted by the NorthEast section, not for the exclusive enjoyment of the NorthEast section.  :rotflmao:

Outback Jon said:
kathybrj said:
You'll still be welcome if you ride up from the Carolinas.  ;D  It's just hosted by the NorthEast section, not for the exclusive enjoyment of the NorthEast section.  :rotflmao:

No clue where I'll be living by then. If I'm down south that means all of Blaise's vacation time is done- he'll have to use the rest to pack the rest of our stuff and get this place vacated.

Sux not knowing where I'll be living next month..... ???

kathybrj said:
Sux not knowing where I'll be living next month..... ???

Could be worse. You could be in the position of not knowing where you'll live tomorrow.  :eek:  It may suck. But I'm sure that things will work out soon for y'all.  :a012:

kathybrj said:

Oh come on Kathy.  Are you trying to say that you can't ride the 537 miles from North Carolina to the rally? :motonoises:  It should only take you one day and you are allowed to attend without Blaise if he can't make it.
;)

COG-528 said:
kathybrj said:

Oh come on Kathy.  Are you trying to say that you can't ride the 537 miles from North Carolina to the rally? :motonoises:  It should only take you one day and you are allowed to attend without Blaise if he can't make it.
;)

Nope......my rump says "No Mas" after 300 miles!!

Hey Bob-= I'm a GIRL so I'm allowed to complain!!!  :mad:  :)

kathybrj said:
COG-528 said:
kathybrj said:

;)

You are confusing the signal "time for a break" with "quit for the day"  :rotflmao:  Btw, whose is this Bob you speak of? :confuse:

COG-528 said:
kathybrj said:
COG-528 said:
kathybrj said:

;)

You are confusing the signal "time for a break" with "quit for the day"  :rotflmao:  Btw, whose is this Bob you speak of? :confuse:

Nope...300 is it...I'm not speed demon!

I was referring to Capt Bob's post earlier.....yes I should be happy I know where I'll be living tomorrow, but I'm still complaining! ;)

[/quote]

I don't blame you Kathy, I just did 480 and even though I'm not sore or tired, it wasn't fun.
BTW sorry we missed you at the rally but it was nice to meet up with Blaise again.  Take care.

Gigantor said:

I don't blame you Kathy, I just did 480 and even though I'm not sore or tired, it wasn't fun.
BTW sorry we missed you at the rally but it was nice to meet up with Blaise again.  Take care.
[/quote]

Thanks Alex...I missed seeing you guys too. If it hadn't been such a busy weekend here I might have jumped on the bike and shown up!

jkenny said:
Thanks Cap'n. Anyone out there need a roommate?

Ask again you will probably find a roommate, eventually.

I'd do it, but as the years go on, I have had to start using the disabled (ADA) rooms closest to the entrance when there is no way to park right outside the door.

Last weekend, at the Dog Days rally, I had one near the office, but if I had know what the Inn was laid out like, I could have gotten a ground floor where everyone else was. Next year thats what I'll do. So on that one I'll be able to share the room.

All ADA rooms I've ever seen have a single king bed though. So I have started asking if I could just get a ground floor with the main COG group where I can walk-in from the parking spot. Fall Rally 2012 we are at Hunts Landing Best Western, and they have a main entrance and hallways to the rooms, so I can't do that there.

Let's put our heads together and list some things to see, do, eat, & ride while attending the fall rally...  List them by state: NY, NJ, PA. 

NEW YORK

Hawks Nest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawk%27s_Nest,_New_York

Bethel Woods Center for the Arts
http://www.bethelwoodscenter.org

PENNSYLVANIA

Grey Towers National Historic Site
http://www.fs.fed.us/na/gt/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Towers_National_Historic_Site

Zane Grey Museum
http://www.nps.gov/upde/historyculture/zanegrey.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zane_Grey_Museum

Manning Farm Dairy (great ice cream), Dalton, PA

S Smith said:
Let's put our heads together and list some things to see, do, eat, & ride while attending the fall rally...  List them by state: NY, NJ, PA. 

New Jersey

High Point State Park Monument  Sussex, NJ
Provides a great view of the three states.  Rustic camping is available along Sawmill Lake for $20/night

Franklin Mineral Museum Franklin, NJ

Paulinskill Viaduct Station Road, Knowlton, NJ
6285806449_7b32786704.jpg

When it was built in 1910-1911 it was the world's largest concrete structure.

Tillman Road past Tillman Ravine Stokes State Forest Branchville, NJ

Morristown National Historic Park, Morristown, NJ
  Jockey Hollow, site of Continental Army 1779-80 Winter Encampment
  Washington's Headquarters Museum and Ford Mansion

[size=12pt]Speedwell Village & Iron Works
http://www.morrisparks.net/speedwell/home.html, Morristown, NJ
  Birthplace of the Telegraph

Thomas Edison National Historic Site, West Orange, NJ
  Laboratory where modern American was invented
  Glenmont Estate, Edison's 29 room Queen Anne style mansion

Long Pond Iron Works, West Milford, NJ
  Ruins of three furnaces, other structures and musuem.  Museum is open Sat & Sun 1-4 PM.  Lots of nice roads in the surrounding area as well as Greenwood Lake.

NEW YORK

Hawks Nest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawk%27s_Nest,_New_York

Bethel Woods Center for the Arts
http://www.bethelwoodscenter.org

Bear Mountain & Harriman State Parks 
You can't tell where one ends and the other starts.

Tours are available but you no longer can ride your motor around the base :(

Storm King Mountain

Storm King Highway (NY-218) a rider's delight. :great:  Route 9W isn't bad going over Storm King either and you get a view down into West Point if going Northbound.

http://youtu.be/lpEoT_qmyCU
http://youtu.be/iQg94k-eL9c

Storm King Art Center Mountainville, NY

Newburgh, NY
A collection of just under 400 motorcycles from 1897 to the present.  Admission $10.  Group discounts available.

PENNSYLVANIA

Grey Towers National Historic Site
http://www.fs.fed.us/na/gt/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Towers_National_Historic_Site

Zane Grey Museum
http://www.nps.gov/upde/historyculture/zanegrey.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zane_Grey_Museum

Manning Farm Dairy (great ice cream), Dalton, PA

Easton, PA
I've laid out a three hour Ride to Eat at Fat Daddy's from the Best Western for Saturday.  The return route is shorter but could include a stop at the Pennsylvania Long Rife Museum.

No. 9 Coal Mine & Museum Lansford, PA
Haunted Halloween Mine Tours 5-10 PM Friday & Saturday during the rally. 
Regular Mine Tour Saturday & Sunday only, 11-3 PM.

Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine & Steam Train, Ashland, PA
Weekday Mine Tours -11 AM, 12:30 & 2 PM.  Weekend Train & Mine Tours Continuous, 10 AM - 5 PM.

Centralia, PA (Columbia County North of Ashland, PA)
As a result of an underground mine fire that started 50 years ago in May 1962, burning beneath the borough, Centralia is now a ghost town.  Its population has dwindled from over 1,000 residents in 1981 to 12 in 2005, 9 in 2007, and 10 in 2010.  Cracks in the pavement closed old PA-61 and heat and smoke can be observed when standing by the cracks. 
Google Centralia, Pa to learn more.

Asa Packer Mansion, Jim Thorpe, PA
An early railroad magnate whose estate at the time of his death in 1879 was worth $54,500,000.

The Mauch Chunk Museum, Jim Thorpe, PA

The Old Jail Museum, Jim Thorpe, PA
Site where the Molly McGuires were hanged in 1877. 

Skirmish USA, Jim Thorpe, PA
Paint Ball

Steamtown National Historic Site, Scranton, PA

Electric City Trolley Excursion & Museum at Steamtown National Historic Site, Scranton, PA
Trolley Excursions Thur-Sun, 10:30-3 PM

Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour, Scranton, PA
Continental #190 Slope Coal Mine.  Tours 10-3 PM daily.

Not responsible for lost kids, wives or ways but here's a gpx list of Steve's, Mike's, Jon's POIs that, if I remember correctly, can be loaded with POI Loader as...  wait for it... POIs.  YMMV
;D

I believe I've included all suggested stops.  I won't be modifying this again before Thursday so if you've got more places to suggest, please include the lat/long so others can easily add them to their own files.

See y'all on Thursday.  S'pose to be perfect weather until the trip home and, by then, who cares.

Attachments

• Fall Rally POIs extended edition.gpx
    27.5 KB · Views: 98
There is plenty to do in the area. In addition to other things listed. You could have a really great day ride out to Newburgh (not Newburgh itself do much). But there are some nice roads you could take out and back to Newburgh. Motorcycepedia is in Newburgh. Also Orange County Choppers and Paul Jr. Designs are right in that area as well. All with in a few miles if you so choose on or all.

http://motorcyclepediamuseum.org/

Well, I reserved a room at the Best Western, so far, I'm in.. Hopefully work will not interfere with
my entire life, again! I'll register prior by the end of the month, if all goes well.. I HAVE TO GET AWAY!!!  :mad:

Almost forgot about this one:

Dingman's Ferry Bridge  and the Wiki page.

The Dingman's Ferry Bridge is the last privately owned toll bridge on the Delaware River and one of the last few in the United States. It is owned and operated by the Dingmans Choice and Delaware Bridge Company.

Christmas Day is the only day of the year which finds the toll booth unmanned; everyone may cross for free. Dingman's Bridge is also remarkable in that there is a single toll collector who stands in between the single lanes of traffic, collecting toll fees by hand.

Because the Bridge Company is responsible for its own repairs, it employs an engineering firm certified for bridge inspection to regularly and thoroughly inspect the bridge from the tops of the trusses to the underwater foundations. Each year, the bridge company closes the bridge the second week after Labor Day to conduct any repairs needed to maintain the structural integrity of the bridge and to replace or flip the salt-treated B.C. fir planks. These floor boards are held in place with anchor plates and collar nails which results in a characteristic rattling of the deck with the traffic moving.

It's kind of quaint, and if I'm in the area crossing the Delaware, I'd rather give my money to them than pay the state.

BJ_CT said:
Not responsible for lost kids, wives or ways but here's a gpx list of Steve's, Mike's, Jon's POIs that, if I remember correctly, can be loaded with POI Loader as...  wait for it... POIs.  YMMV
;D

Fall Rally POIs.gpx (1204 kb - downloaded two times)

You will need to add to your POI file because Outback Jon added another one and I modified my original list with ten more sites.  :nananana:

Outback Jon said:
Almost forgot about this one:

Dingman's Ferry Bridge  and the Wiki page.

The Dingman's Ferry Bridge is the last privately owned toll bridge on the Delaware River and one of the last few in the United States. It is owned and operated by the Dingmans Choice and Delaware Bridge Company.

Christmas Day is the only day of the year which finds the toll booth unmanned; everyone may cross for free. Dingman's Bridge is also remarkable in that there is a single toll collector who stands in between the single lanes of traffic, collecting toll fees by hand.

Because the Bridge Company is responsible for its own repairs, it employs an engineering firm certified for bridge inspection to regularly and thoroughly inspect the bridge from the tops of the trusses to the underwater foundations. Each year, the bridge company closes the bridge the second week after Labor Day to conduct any repairs needed to maintain the structural integrity of the bridge and to replace or flip the salt-treated B.C. fir planks. These floor boards are held in place with anchor plates and collar nails which results in a characteristic rattling of the deck with the traffic moving.

It's kind of quaint, and if I'm in the area crossing the Delaware, I'd rather give my money to them than pay the state.
But they don't take EZ-Pass and the toll collector has been known to get grumpy :character0029: when he has to wait for a group of motorcyclists to take off their gloves to dig into their pockets for $1 toll.

The National Park Service has closed Route 209 between Dingmans Ferry PA and Milford PA due to a sink hole.  All other roads leading to and from the Dingmans Bridge are open, including Route 209 south of Dingmans Ferry and Route 739 West to I84.

COG-528 said:
The National Park Service has closed Route 209 between Dingmans Ferry PA and Milford PA due to a sink hole.  All other roads leading to and from the Dingmans Bridge are open, including Route 209 south of Dingmans Ferry and Route 739 West to I84.

Mike forgot to include a vital piece of info.... The National Park Service states "It is hoped to have Rt. 209 repaired by the Fall of 2012."  We all know how long it takes to make repairs of this kind and the flood damage may affect other routes and riding in the rally area.  The best thing to is check the Delaware Watergap National Park Service road closure info on the web:  http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/area-and-road-closures.htm

COG-528 said:
BJ_CT said:
;D

Fall Rally POIs.gpx (1204 kb - downloaded two times)
You will need to add to your POI file because Outback Jon added another one and I modified my original list with ten more sites.  :nananana:
I keep thinking of other things in the area too.  So that POI file will probably keep growing.

Hot Dog Johnny's roadside hot dog stand in Buttzville, NJ.  One of my favorite places to eat in the area.

If you like trains, Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton, PA.

Yuengling, America's Oldest Brewery, is about 120 miles away in Pottsville, PA.  They offer tours.

COG-528 said:
But they don't take EZ-Pass and the toll collector has been known to get grumpy :character0029: when he has to wait for a group of motorcyclists to take off their gloves to dig into their pockets for $1 toll.
So have your $1 ready.  Or, if you're in a group, collect the money beforehand and the first rider pays for everyone.

We stopped there last year on the way to the spring fling in Wellsboro. We did not actually enter the museum as we were short on time but I have wanted to see the 'Big Boy' on display there for years now. I think a lot of COG folk would find that locomotive impressive, and I know I certainly did. Hey, anything that weighs a million and a quarter pounds (1,250,000 lbs.) and still travels at 80 MPH just has to be impressive. And for frugal Coggers, the Big Boy is located on the edge of the parking lot where you can visit it without paying the entrance fee to the museum. It does look like a place one could spend an entire day visiting though.

Brian

Outback Jon said:
<snip>

If you like trains, Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton, PA.

<snip>

Bike (the Connie) checked out (oil/ filter/ fluid changes, etc.) and serviced for this event. We're ready, and looking forward to it.  :))

Regarding the closures, there are a gazillion routes around the affected area. Rte. 209 was going to be my chosen route for the final miles to the event. If the road is still closed, we'll find a work-a-round. It's the adventure that makes the ride more enjoyable.  :))

Never allowed anyone to piss on my Wheaties, and it ain't happening now.  :motonoises:

Rte 209 is closed as of 20 August from Dingmans Ferry Rd, Rte 739 junction to Rte 209 and Rte 2001 junction per the toll taker at the bridge. Detour is rte 2001 (Milford Rd jct with 739) to rte 2001 and Raymondskill rd. Take Raymondskill rd East to Rte 209 N.

connieklr said:
Bike (the Connie) checked out (oil/ filter/ fluid changes, etc.) and serviced for this event. We're ready, and looking forward to it.  :))

:rotflmao: @ Guy

Never too early I guess, but it will be a while until October 25th gets here.

Is this rally going to have any vendors, or is it mainly about riding the area and hanging out?

COG rallies are always about the riding and rarely ever have vendors.  Usually it is ride from 9 till 3 or 4 PM.  Then hang out socializing and enjoying adult beverages.