• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NE Fall Foliage Rally 2012

JR said:
connieklr said:
Bike (the Connie) checked out (oil/ filter/ fluid changes, etc.) and serviced for this event. We're ready, and looking forward to it.  :))

:rotflmao: @ Guy

Never too early I guess, but it will be a while until October 25th gets here.

I was waiting for parts on other bikes in here, so decided to get it done while I had the time. Hate to try and do stuff like that at the last minute.

Is there anyone looking for a roommate still?  I will be arriving on Friday, so need to split the costs for two nights please! 

Helene has school on the 25th, so she'll be driving up on friday morning. That means...I get to ride up with no luggage on the bike. ;D So, it'll be backroads all the way on thurs morning.

:s_hi:

I've created a couple of BBQ ride routes for rally attendees to enjoy that are attached to this post.  These are in addition to all the ride routes that Jerry Gowen has already accumulated for use at the rally.  You can either go North to Arkville in the Catskills or South via some nice roads in New Jersey to Easton. 

The restaurant choices are:

I can't make up my mind as to which I like more.
421.gif

I will be posting the return routes later this week.  The return route from the Catskills will include a stop at
748px-Woodstockpla.jpg
the site of the Woodstock Music & Arts Festival, formerly known as Yasgur's farm, now it is the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts.  Bethel Woods includes the above pictured monument and The Museum at Bethel Woods, dedicated to remembering the sixties and Woodstock's 3 Days of Peace & Music.
WoodstockPoster.jpg
  Wearing your tye-dyed shirts is option.  ;D

Edit: Sept. 27th
Return routes have been added as attachments to this post.

Attachments

• Cha Cha Hut BBQ-Fall Rally.gpx
    255.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Fat Daddy's Bar-B-Q - Fall Rally.gpx
    321.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Cha Cha Hut BBQ Return - Fall Foliage.gpx
    246.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Fat Daddy's Return - Fall Foliage.gpx
    176.8 KB · Views: 98
S Smith said:
IIRC, one of Jerry's routes already includes Bethel Woods.

That is no surprise.  I'm just going to include it as a possible return stop for anyone who chooses to go to the Cha Cha Hut BBQ.  I have not looked at Jerry's routes so I don't know how similar or different this one will be.  In any case it will just be another option for rally attendees to pick from.  May be we should consider doing this rally again in the future as a week long rally so attendees will have more time to ride to all the different points of interest. 

Btw, I rode through Hawks Nest on Saturday.  South bound is nice fresh paving with more places to pull over than prior to the construction.  North bound is older paving but in very nice shape.  I'm sure most of the routes going North are going to include Hawks Nest. 

We need to check with the NPS to find out if Rt-209 has been re-opened from Dingman's North to Milford yet. 

COG-528 said:
May be we should consider doing this rally again in the future as a week long rally so attendees will have more time to ride to all the different points of interest.  [/font][/size]

Great idea...  All that is needed is someone to organize the event.  You volunteering?

We need to check with the NPS to find out if Rt-209 has been re-opened from Dingman's North to Milford yet. 

I've been monitoring this and it is not completely open yet.  Check here for DWG road closure info...
http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/area-and-road-closures.htm

Just got off phone with Parks. 209 Detour still in place and well marked. Adds about 5 mins to travel time. Dingmans to Milford.

Thanks for checking  Jer... 

BTW - Do the Old Mine Rd closures affect any of the routes? 

Jerry Gowen said:
Just got off phone with Parks. 209 Detour still in place and well marked. Adds about 5 mins to travel time. Dingmans to Milford.

I can verify. Coming home from West Point we came down 209, and had to take the detour. It was fine, but I think it was more than 5 minutes added, we were on it a good 20 minutes.

COG-528 said:
Btw, I rode through Hawks Nest on Saturday.
I rode it on Thursday.  At speeds I won't admit to on an open forum.  :motonoises:  Did three passes playing with a really cheap video camera that I bought my daughter a while ago.  ($40)  Although it claims 720p, it doesn't do action very well at that resolution.  I should have tried at the 640x480 setting...

I am absolutely going to get myself a decent video camera before the rally.

NY-97 (Hawks Nest) is a nice ride, but this section is the most interesting part.  It is just too short, but at least there are convenient turn-around points.

Hawks Nest

The audio was nothing but noise once I got out of second gear, so just imagine a C10 at 5k~9k RPM.

Outback Jon said:
OK, I was just poking around the area, figuring out a nice ride to one of my favorite lunches in north NJ, Hot Dog Johnny's, and I came across Jenny Jump State Forest. 

I have Johnny's on my route going up, for lunch. +1  :great:

I did a little research on Jenny Jump forest.... found the NJ astronomy club has a good telescope on the mountain. On October 27th (Sat) they are having a presentation on the Mayan Calendar and the Doomsday Prediction, and will show the public that attends through the telescope which bodies will align (they will be getting close by then) and some other observations the Mayans made long before anyone had lens, much less telescopes, and which are not visible to the naked eye.

Seems the Jenny Jump forest is on a mountain, and there is little light there, making it perfect for telescopes. And for Denali D2 LED driving lights.  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug:

JR said:
Outback Jon said:
OK, I was just poking around the area, figuring out a nice ride to one of my favorite lunches in north NJ, Hot Dog Johnny's, and I came across Jenny Jump State Forest. 

I have Johnny's on my route going up, for lunch. +1  :great:
If I don't get hit for mandatory overtime that morning, I might make it my lunch stop "on the way" down.  It's only a 2 hour detour.  ;D  (4 hour trip vs. 2 hour trip to Matamoras.)

Maybe I'll check in first, and make Johnny's for dinner.

I've passed Hot Dog Johnny's (est. 1944) so many times over the years but I've never stopped to eat.  But oddly enough I never became a big hot dog lover despite growing up in Fort Lee which was home to two competing NJ hot dog institutions, Callahans (est. 1950) and Hirams (est. 1932), that were situated across a small street from each other. 

Callahan's ended up more famous and was the place everyone had to visit and all the cool kids hung out once they got to drive.  But Hirams is the one that is still around after Callahan's sold their property and eventually went out of business at their other location.  Considering that my taste in food has changed as I've gotten older, may be I should go try a nice deep fried ripper at Rutt's Hut (est. 1928) and see how I like it. 

Hot Dog Johnny's might be a good place to stop on my way up.... depending on the detours I may encounter. I'm always up for a good dog with all the fixin's.

Hold the mayo............................    :))

Plugged into the GPS.

Jerry Gowen said:
Rte 209 is closed as of 20 August from Dingmans Ferry Rd, Rte 739 junction to Rte 209 and Rte 2001 junction per the toll taker at the bridge. Detour is rte 2001 (Milford Rd jct with 739) to rte 2001 and Raymondskill rd. Take Raymondskill rd East to Rte 209 N.

When headed north on Rt 209. Do yourself a favor and just take Bushkill falls Rd. (Rt 2001 / Milford rd.) all the way to Rt 6 in Milford (rather than following the detour back down to 209).  Once in Milford, then take a right onto Rt 6. Then run up to the light and make the left onto Rt 209 / Rt6. Then it's about 6 miles down 209 to the hotel.
  IMO, 209 has some nice views and rides along the Delaware river. But IMO, Milford Rd. is a much better riding road. So I wouldn't waste my time cutting down to 209.

Obviously it's the opposite way going south on Rt 209.

Darn I can't make this rally! Sure wish I could see all of the colors. :16:

Biggest way we in FL know that it is fall, is by the changing of the license plates colors changing :rotflmao:

Enjoy..include pics on post ride info!!

Jo said:
Biggest way we in FL know that it is fall, is by the changing of the license plates colors changing :rotflmao:
I'd imagine most of them change to NY's colors.  ;D

At least our new plates are more of an autumn motif...

blog%2Blicense%2Bplate%2Bny

Cap'n Bob said:
Jerry Gowen said:
Rte 209 is closed as of 20 August from Dingmans Ferry Rd, Rte 739 junction to Rte 209 and Rte 2001 junction per the toll taker at the bridge. Detour is rte 2001 (Milford Rd jct with 739) to rte 2001 and Raymondskill rd. Take Raymondskill rd East to Rte 209 N.

When headed north on Rt 209. Do yourself a favor and just take Bushkill falls Rd. (Rt 2001 / Milford rd.) all the way to Rt 6 in Milford (rather than following the detour back down to 209).  Once in Milford, then take a right onto Rt 6. Then run up to the light and make the left onto Rt 209 / Rt6. Then it's about 6 miles down 209 to the hotel.
  IMO, 209 has some nice views and rides along the Delaware river. But IMO, Milford Rd. is a much better riding road. So I wouldn't waste my time cutting down to 209.

If you are North bound on Rt-209 and you have less than a full tank of fuel you might want to cross over into NJ so you can fill up with the significantly cheaper fuel that is available in NJ before arriving at rally headquarters.  :72:

There are 6 or 7 gas stations just across the state line from Port Jervis along Rt-23 that cater to all the NY & PA people who want to avoid the high cost of fuel in their home state.
I haven't compared the cost of beer :beerchug: in the three states so I don't know if you want to get that too in NJ.  :))

Edit

I just checked and there is also Meloi's Liquor Store along Rt-23 selling beer for less than in NY & PA according to a review on Yelp. 

Meloi's Liquors
10 State Route-23
Montague, NJ

3/13/2011

Decent liquor/wine/beer store just barely on the Jersey side of the tri-state border. Prices are less than PA and NY so it's worth a stop while you hop over to Montague to fill up the tank.

Wine selection includes boxes, jugs, and a ton of Yellowtail. However, search hard enough and there are some decent wines at good prices. I picked up an organic low-sulfite California Merlot for under $15 that became a new favorite.

Liquor selection is very limited and pretty standard.

Now if you want fireworks, that you have to get in Matamoris.  :)

The top half of my route runs in NJ along the PA state line. So my final gas stop is in NJ, which apparently is good (though not planned).

Okay, the return routes are attached to this post for the two BBq rides to the

cchLogo.gif
&
fatdaddys_logo.png

The routes have been also added to Post #106 which has the routes going to the BBQ spots. 

The route back from the Cha Cha Hut BBQ does stop by the site of the Woodstock Music & Arts Fair in 1969. 

The route back from Fat Daddy's Southern Bar-B-Q stops at the Pennsylvania Long Rife Museum at the Henry Homestead giving you a chance to learn more about the black powder rifles that helped open the American Frontier.

Attachments

• Cha Cha Hut BBQ Return - Fall Foliage.gpx
    246.1 KB · Views: 106
  • Fat Daddy's Return - Fall Foliage.gpx
    176.8 KB · Views: 98
Mike - Thanks for posting the sample routes (just wondering if you are getting a kick back each time you post and report the graphics?  ::) )

All the other sample ride info for this event were posted in the member library a while back and available for download.  There is a link on the event calendar page.

I posted the two graphic links so it would be more obvious that the most recent post was a follow up to the earlier post.  It will be interesting to see with all the ride routes that are available whether anyone will do one of these BBQ rides.  Both of these rides offer some very nice roads and great food.  But I'm sure many of the other routes have the same attributes.  Rally attendees should enjoy some great rides exploring the tri-state area. 

Hi all,

I am going to try to go to this event on the bike, which will be the longest I have ridden since the accident in June.  I plan on getting on the bike around the 2nd week of October and take short rides, building up to longer ones as time allows.

Does anyone have a spare bed they would like to share?

Thanks,

Tom Kerrigan

TMK45 said:
I am going to try to go to this event on the bike, which will be the longest I have ridden since the accident in June.  I plan on getting on the bike around the 2nd week of October and take short rides, building up to longer ones as time allows.

Awesome news Tom...  Looking forward to seeing you.

COG-528 said:
  It will be interesting to see with all the ride routes that are available whether anyone will do one of these BBQ rides.  Both of these rides offer some very nice roads and great food.  But I'm sure many of the other routes have the same attributes.  Rally attendees should enjoy some great rides exploring the tri-state area. 

Yup - who knows, but it is nice to have a choice.  We also added an Ice Cream Run that was slightly modified version provided by our friends at Backroads Magazine.

Presently 51 attendees signed up for this event.  The rally hosts are doing some final prep work.  All sample ride routes and GPS files (including the 2 new ones provided by Mike)  have been added to the ZIP file in the member library.  There is a link to the library on the rally web page, where any event news & updates will be posted. 

Two weeks before it starts. Getting to be close.  :rotflmao: :great:

Checked my reservation and made sure its a 1st floor with rest of COG. But who knows what it will be when I arrive.

I think I'll wear my heated jacket liner and gloves on the ride up, since I'll be leaving right after sunrise. Be a good shake down for them.

I guess this is my first Fall rally ... I've missed to previous ones.

Looks like next year may have to be my first Fall rally. The VA is talking about admitting me on the 23rd to do knee replacements. All we need to work out is getting the hospital to confirm an intensive care room for 1 week and a physical therapy room for 3 weeks.

We'll miss ya JR but just think, next year you'll be runnin laps around the rest of us! :)

See if they have a new neck lyin around while you're there, mine's a bit of a mess! ;)

btw got the pally up to 90 workin on the preist next!  :))

Terrynyc said:
We'll miss ya JR but just think, next year you'll be runnin laps around the rest of us! :)

See if they have a new neck lyin around while you're there, mine's a bit of a mess! ;)

btw got the pally up to 90 workin on the preist next!  :))

I quit WOW, after they nerfed Holy Priests. One day I could heal a final boss encounter heroic (say, Champions) either as MT healer or Raid Healer and have plenty of mana if I played it smart. The next day after the patch, I couldn't heal the final boss in a heroic daily dungeon no matter what I did. And my spec was optimal, I lived on Jerks and theorycrafted in my sleep. So WOW lost me forever.

I quit WOW, after they nerfed Holy Priests. One day I could heal a final boss encounter heroic (say, Champions) either as MT healer or Raid Healer and have plenty of mana if I played it smart. The next day after the patch, I couldn't heal the final boss in a heroic daily dungeon no matter what I did. And my spec was optimal, I lived on Jerks and theorycrafted in my sleep. So WOW lost me forever.
[/quote]

But you can be a panda now!!! :))

No I can't bring myself to actually roll up a pandaran....yet!

Given I am on the West coast, I will not be joining you on this ride...but would love to see pics.  I've heard great stories of the Northeast scenery this time of year.

Ha!! Just booked my room for Saturday 10/27! I will find the rally sometime Saturday morning... hope you all don't get yr bikes fired up too dang early! I am looking forward to joining the conga line.

Be seeing a bunch of you in Metamoras!!

I'll be heading up to Matamoras early morning, Friday, 26 Oct, from NoVa.
Happy to join anyone coming up this way.
Also, have room to share.
Paul V.

Still looking for a room to split with someone.  Would like to come out on Friday, and stay until Sunday?  Any takers?

Tom

You're welcome to share my room.  My wife cancelled on me.
I'm arriving sometime friday afternoon, from the northern virginia area.
Paul V.

Just finished reading 10 pages of 'information' to get my butt current on important COG doings.  I'll update the POI file this week.  I was in Joisey over the weekend and Sat am at about 6:30AM it was 28F by my bike display (which I think reads a couple degrees low).  By 9AM, it was approaching a balmy 40F.  I would highly recommend keeping an eye on the forecast.

Along my Saturday route, I topped High Point.  On a clear day, you could see San Fransico if the Rocky's weren't in the way.  If it's sunny and clear, try to get there.  I did not run into the big log jams of HD riders or RVs that I thought I would.

For Mike - I didn't think the Jets were playing anymore football this season.

Terrynyc said:

You can tell WOW is losing subscribers, can still buy Collectors Edition of Mists just about everywhere. This is the first time they weren't all pre-sold.

JR said:
Terrynyc said:

You can tell WOW is losing subscribers, can still buy Collectors Edition of Mists just about everywhere. This is the first time they weren't all pre-sold.

No doubt.  I don't think they'll make it past one more expansion before it finally goes the way of everquest.

WHOOO HOO!  My family calendar just cleared for Sat-Sun.  Just completed registration and snagged a room at the group rate.  Life is good! 

I am really going to miss going to this, but I am clearing everything off my calendar in anticipation of being admitted for surgery sometime between next Monday and mid-November.

I know I am going to suffer excruciating pain for 4-6 weeks afterward, but then the pain will go away forever.

JR said:
I am really going to miss going to this, but I am clearing everything off my calendar in anticipation of being admitted for surgery sometime between next Monday and mid-November.

I know I am going to suffer excruciating pain for 4-6 weeks afterward, but then the pain will go away forever.
It is going to suck if you have to miss the rally and they don't admit you until sometime afterwards.  But I guess that is to be expected when it comes to the VA. 

I hope they do a good job and everything heals nicely for you. 

Hi what are the plans for Friday the 26th. Is there a certain ride you are doing that day? I am not available for the weekend but we may take off from work for the day and head up.

Paulmc said:
Hi what are the plans for Friday the 26th. Is there a certain ride you are doing that day? I am not available for the weekend but we may take off from work for the day and head up.

Rides are self guided and depending on the length of the route folks tend to start pulling out between 7am and 9ish.  If you can get to the parking lot early I'm sure you'll be able to find a group to ride with.

I'm heading up Thurs morning between 8 and 9am after the rush dies down. That's if I don't hook up with the anyone else.  Anyone interested in joining me lemme know and maybe we can meet up in Jersey.

Don't forget to download any GPS files or print any route sheets you may want for the rally.  The ZIP file is available in the member library.

For all the folks going to the rally. The foliage is still pretty decent as of today in the area. (it's normally totally gone by now). But there's still some pretty good viewing still in most of the area. And a nice surprise for me was the High Point monument was open to the public (today was Sunday). It's a pretty good climb to the top (similar to Mt. Greylock). So if your want a better view yet. You can climb the 300 (give or take) steps to the top of the monument. Either way the views were nice today with a nice clear day.

Hey Guys,

I would like to head up and meet up with a group if you wouldn't mind a tag along with you? I am in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area and my plan would be to leave early from home, get together with some riders, and leave later in the afternoon. Concours 14, not sure when you are going up but I would go up with you, if my schedule is anything like what you are planning?
This would be my first event and since I don't really know all that many riders, so if you wouldn't mind a newbie hanging out with you, let me know and we could meet up.

Thanks,
Craig

Good news. Thanks for the update.

Cap'n Bob said:
    For all the folks going to the rally. The foliage is still pretty decent as of today in the area. (it's normally totally gone by now). But there's still some pretty good viewing still in most of the area. And a nice surprise for me was the High Point monument was open to the public (today was Sunday). It's a pretty good climb to the top (similar to Mt. Greylock). So if your want a better view yet. You can climb the 300 (give or take) steps to the top of the monument. Either way the views were nice today with a nice clear day.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM....I GOTTA MAKE A FAST decision....anyone have a desire to split a room?
I fart quietly, and usualy without too much odor, I tend to buy rounds at the bar for my friends, I do snore, but everyone does...if they don't, they are lying...

I really need to get a rally in this year, and this seems to be the one..... :))
shoot me an e-mail via the old forum, or new, I can get those, and as for phone, I'm dealing with my Va. cell phone still, my number in the directory will not reach me...
shoot me a p/m, and I'll give my number...
planning to ride up , oops, I mean OVER....Thursday, and arrive in the evening....442 miles....6hrs-38 mins.....so says S&T...... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:motonoises:

man, it's sure good to be back on my bike..... :) :motonoises:

oh, and by the way....as long as nobody posts here that I am actually gonna be there....the weather will be fantastic....(seeing as Jimmie Miller dropped the harbinger of bad weather thang on me 5 years ago....bastich)

Someone posted a link for POIs for the Fall Foliage rally. Lost it. Anyone point me to where I cam get it?

Jerry Gowen said:
Someone posted a link for POIs for the Fall Foliage rally. Lost it. Anyone point me to where I cam get it?
Cancel that request, found it posted on forum................

H,MMMMMMMM
BEEN GOOGLIN, AND FOUND A PLACE FOR $59 A NIGHT...
just a short stroll, about a mile, from rally central....
The Erie hotel & restaurant...very cool....thinkin this will be my roost...
sorry, MOB don't drinky-and drive anymore, so I'll invite y'all over there...

845.858.4100 --- 9 Jersey Avenue, Port Jervis, NY 12771

did I mention $59 a night..... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :) :-\

see ya Thursday....... :))

The Erie hotel has pretty good food in the tavern/restaurant. But it will be a hike into PA to the Best Western. It's a handful of lights and crossing the Delaware river on a steel grate bridge. But it's a 5 minute ride. The only real downside of the Erie hotel itself, is it isn't a hotel like rally central. It's an old time gone past hotel from the old railroad town of Port Jervis. As so parking isn't quite a easy and secure from dangers as the Best Western. But the older and arguably less creature comforts is off set by it's character of being a nice old days gone by type hotel.

MAN OF BLUES said:
H,MMMMMMMM
BEEN GOOGLIN, AND FOUND A PLACE FOR $59 A NIGHT...
just a short stroll, about a mile, from rally central....
The Erie hotel & restaurant...very cool....thinkin this will be my roost...
sorry, MOB don't drinky-and drive anymore, so I'll invite y'all over there...

845.858.4100 --- 9 Jersey Avenue, Port Jervis, NY 12771

did I mention $59 a night..... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :) :-\

see ya Thursday....... :))

Does anyone know what the "official" state detour route is around the closed section of Rte. 209 heading north? Just trying to see what my options are.  :)

Jim said:
Hi... I'm riding to the meet solo from Franklin Ma area. Looking to ride down on Thursday. Anyone else from MA/CT/RI area riding down that day ?

Plus.. I may have a room share avail. My cohort has to work (she thinks) so there may be a spare bed to share our room rate with (we have a room in the host hotel.. Thurs - Sun). Note... I am pretty quiet, bed early, up very early by most people's stds, non-smoker... would want the same else I'll just stay in the room solo.

Thanks !

Jim Dunlea

Jim,
  I will be leaving Long Island Thursday morning, taking the Ferry across the Long Island Sound to Bridgeport CT. From Bridgeport CT, I will be traveling north on CT 25 to I-84 ... then West to the rally site (i.e. Best Western). If possible, I would be willing to ride with you along I-84 to the rally, and would be willing to share a room with you. Originally, I was going to find a local less expensive motel. I do not want to spend $129+ per night, so would be willing to split the room cost with you at Best Western. I will be staying at the rally through Sunday. If above doable, please contact me via phone or email.
Richard W. Wackett
631-244-0968
wackettrw@yahoo.com and/or wacketr@sunysuffolk.edu

Let's see...

Rally 1 day and a wakeup away.

Routes and POIs loaded on to GPS. √
Picking up beer (Fullers ESB and Ithica Flower Power IPA) tomorrow after work. √
Bottle of Port. √
Cigars, lots! √
Clothes and gear packed. (Not so much.)
Route plotted to Rally Central...winging it. √

I'm riding up on Thursday morning and Helene is driving up Friday morning, which means that the bike will be unladen for the ride up and back.  ;D

Last minute addition to the downloadable sample ride files...  Our friends at Backroads Magazine have provided some destination ideas and a nice ride route to one of them.

connieklr said:
Does anyone know what the "official" state detour route is around the closed section of Rte. 209 heading north? Just trying to see what my options are.  :)

Hey Guy,

This was something posted back a little earlier in the thread. The detour takes Bushkill falls/Milford rd (2001) then goes back onto 209 up at Dingmans ferry using 739. You can take 209, but if you follow what I suggested here rather than going back to 209. It will be quicker and is actually the better ride. (much better turns and hills) But 209 does have better views of the Delaware. it's up to you.

Bob

Cap'n Bob said:
Jerry Gowen said:

Jim said:
Hi... I'm riding to the meet solo from Franklin Ma area. Looking to ride down on Thursday. Anyone else from MA/CT/RI area riding down that day ?

Plus.. I may have a room share avail. My cohort has to work (she thinks) so there may be a spare bed to share our room rate with (we have a room in the host hotel.. Thurs - Sun). Note... I am pretty quiet, bed early, up very early by most people's stds, non-smoker... would want the same else I'll just stay in the room solo.

Thanks !

Jim Dunlea

Hi Jim, I am leaving Tewksbury, MA at 9:00 a.am. Thursday with Wayne Geiser. I tried to email you directly but it was rejected.  Contact me and we can discuss a connection off 495 possibly.

Thanks
Bob Watkins

bxrbob.watkins at gmail dot com

Well, the bike is 99.9% packed and we’re ready to roll out of here in the (early ??) a.m. Just need to add the DOP kit and me, then we’re outta here.

But dammit Jim, wouldn’t ya know. Was eyeballing the bike for a final once-over and noticed that the LH fork seal is beginning to weep. With over 184K on the original seals, I supposed I can forgive them for finally giving up the Ghost. I have seals and fork oil, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to tear stuff down at this late hour; we’ll deal with it when I get back home.

Intended route will take me up near Belvidere (NJ) and Hot Dog Johnny’s for (a late) lunch, then back across the river and north to Rally Central. Depending on the time I finally roll out of here, I-95 traffic, and how many dogs I chose to consume at Johnny’s, I hope to be in Matamoras sometime around 4:00.

Those of you going, please ride safe and we’ll see you at the rally. Look forward to seeing old, and meeting new.

@ Capt. Bob: Thanks for the note. Saw the post but wasn't sure if that was the 'official" detour.

Guy

connieklr said:

This certainly not the official route but if you are North bound on Rt-209 and you have less than a full tank of fuel you might want to cross over into NJ at Dingman's Ferry so you can fill up with the significantly cheaper fuel that is available in NJ before arriving at rally headquarters.  :72:

The alternative if coming from Hot Dog Johnny's is just to pick up County Route 519 a few miles West of Hot Dog Johnny's and follow it North to Route 23.

There are 6 or 7 gas stations just across the state line from Port Jervis along Rt-23 in Montague, 3.1 miles via I-84 from Rally Central, that cater to all the NY & PA people who want to avoid the high cost of fuel in their home state.
You can also save on the cost of beer :beerchug: at Meloi's Liquor Store also on Rt-23, near the Shoprite, which sells beer for less than in NY & PA according to a review on Yelp. :)

Now if you want fireworks
RolandChayerFireworksSmiley02.gif
, that you'll have to buy in Matamoris.  :))

connieklr said:
Intended route will take me up near Belvidere (NJ) and Hot Dog Johnny’s for (a late) lunch
I'm hoping to check in early and head down to Hot Dog Johnny's for lunch.  Maybe we'll see each other.

I'm just day tripping on Saturday and not planning on attending the banquet so I will not be an official, paid, rally attendee.  I plan on being at the Best Western around 8:30 AM on Saturday morning to do one of the two BBQ ride routes I laid out for the rally.  Which one will be determined by who might want to join me for the ride and BBQ.
very-hungry.gif

COG-528 said:
connieklr said:

This certainly not the official route but if you are North bound on Rt-209 and you have less than a full tank of fuel you might want to cross over into NJ at Dingman's Ferry so you can fill up with the significantly cheaper fuel that is available in NJ before arriving at rally headquarters.  :72:

The alternative if coming from Hot Dog Johnny's is just to pick up County Route 519 a few miles West of Hot Dog Johnny's and follow it North to Route 23.

There are 6 or 7 gas stations just across the state line from Port Jervis along Rt-23 in Montague, 3.1 miles via I-84 from Rally Central, that cater to all the NY & PA people who want to avoid the high cost of fuel in their home state.
You can also save on the cost of beer :beerchug: at Meloi's Liquor Store also on Rt-23, near the Shoprite, which sells beer for less than in NY & PA according to a review on Yelp. :)

Now if you want fireworks
RolandChayerFireworksSmiley02.gif
, that you'll have to buy in Matamoris.  :))

Mike, does CR 519 have a name? Found route numbers above and below it, but no 519.

??

COG-528 said:

I'm a little curious. Why would folks want to cross back down 739 over 209 (even if they are going back on 209), then pay the $1 toll each way for Dingmans bridge, and ride into NJ just to get gas at that point? Then once they have fuel, they ride back out towards the hotel. It puts folks a little bit out of the way.
    Instead it might be better if they just continue on the 10-15 miles towards the Town of Westfall / Matamoras (the hotel). The Best Western is literally about a mile up I-84 from NY/NJ Exit 1. The entrance ramp to I-84 east bound is literally across the street from the hotel. If folks jump on I-84 and go about the one mile to Exit 1 (on 84 east bound). Then make a left turn off the bottom of the  ramp. In about 50 feet, they are in NJ and have access to about 6 gas stations in the first 1/4 mile. Then they are topped off for the next day. So other than riding over digmans bridge and pay a toll each way. What's the point? Not knocking your suggestion Mike. But I don't see the point.

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
Let's see...

Rally 1 day and a wakeup away.

Routes and POIs loaded on to GPS. √
Picking up beer (Fullers ESB and Ithica Flower Power IPA) tomorrow after work. √
Bottle of Port. √
Cigars, lots! √
Clothes and gear packed. (Not so much.)
Route plotted to Rally Central...winging it. √

I'm riding up on Thursday morning and Helene is driving up Friday morning, which means that the bike will be unladen for the ride up and back.  ;D

Hey Wayne,
I don't get to the rally until Saturday AM, but I will also be bringing some fine porto and a few Padron maduros... looks like a Saturday night taste test may be in order!
I'm wearing a yellow Roadcrafter, hi-viz helmet, Atomic Silver '11, CT "MOTHRA" plate. Make sure to say hi!
See you out there..

Outback Jon said:
connieklr said:
Intended route will take me up near Belvidere (NJ) and Hot Dog Johnny’s for (a late) lunch
I'm hoping to check in early and head down to Hot Dog Johnny's for lunch.  Maybe we'll see each other.

Here's hoping.

I'll be on a faded maroon (or whatever they called it)  '95 with a leaking LH fork seal.    :))

Guy

:mad: :mad: :-[
well...he we go again....seems I have been a little hard on the tire since I got back on the road, and the rear skin ain't-a-gonna make 1,000 miles like I planned....dammit Jim....
I guess my trip ain't happenin',l but at least I can get out and burn the rest off locally over the next couple days....migh get another 600 mi outta it....maybe...... :motonoises: :'( :'(

Y'all ride safe, and swill one for me while kickin' 'tars, kick a couple for me also....I'll be doin the same.... >:D

connieklr said:
Mike, does CR 519 have a name? Found route numbers above and below it, but no 519.

??

Guy, CR-519 goes by a number of different names as it passes through different towns and county but is very well marked along the route with the blue county route signs.
70px-County_519.svg.png
  All you have to do is go West on US-46 from Hot Dog Johnny's to the first traffic light, which is the intersection of US-46 and CR-519 aka Bridgeville-Hope Road.  Turn North towards Hope, NJ and you are on Cr-519. 

An even better ride is to pick up CR-521
70px-County_521.svg.png
in Hope.  Here is a link for a google maps route from Hot Dog Johnny's to the Best Western via CR-521.  I've even attached a GPS route file below if you want to follow the CR-521 route from Hot Dog Johnny's.

Attachments

• Hot Dog Johnny's to Rally Central via CR-521.gpx
    154.6 KB · Views: 100
COG-528 said:
connieklr said:

??

Guy, CR-519 goes by a number of different names as it passes through different towns and county but is very well marked along the route with the blue county route signs.
70px-County_519.svg.png
  All you have to do is go West on US-46 from Hot Dog Johnny's to the first traffic light, which is the intersection of US-46 and CR-519 aka Bridgeville-Hope Road.  Turn North towards Hope, NJ and you are on Cr-519. 

An even better ride is to pick up CR-521
70px-County_521.svg.png
in Hope.  Here is a link for a google maps route from Hot Dog Johnny's to the Best Western via CR-521.  I've even attached a GPS route file below if you want to follow the CR-521 route from Hot Dog Johnny's.

Got it. Had to be one of the ones off of 46, but there were no associated route numbers.

We're good..... now to make a decision.  :)

Thank you.

Cap'n Bob said:
COG-528 said:

I'm a little curious. Why would folks want to cross back down 739 over 209 (even if they are going back on 209), then pay the $1 toll each way for Dingmans bridge, and ride into NJ just to get gas at that point? Then once they have fuel, they ride back out towards the hotel. It puts folks a little bit out of the way.
    Instead it might be better if they just continue on the 10-15 miles towards the Town of Westfall / Matamoras (the hotel). The Best Western is literally about a mile up I-84 from NY/NJ Exit 1. The entrance ramp to I-84 east bound is literally across the street from the hotel. If folks jump on I-84 and go about the one mile to Exit 1 (on 84 east bound). Then make a left turn off the bottom of the  ramp. In about 50 feet, they are in NJ and have access to about 6 gas stations in the first 1/4 mile. Then they are topped off for the next day. So other than riding over digmans bridge and pay a toll each way. What's the point? Not knocking your suggestion Mike. But I don't see the point.

Bob, you misunderstood the intention of my suggestion.  If you are on US-209 in PA you can cross the Dingman's Ferry bridge and continue North to NJ-23 in Montague, NJ.  Buy fuel & beer in Montague then hop on I-84 and be at Rally Central after riding 3.1 miles. 
That way you have cold beer to enjoy
beer.gif
and a full tank of cheaper fuel for the next day's ride.  Thus leaving you more money to buy more beer! :72:

MAN OF BLUES said:
:mad: :mad: :-[
well...he we go again....seems I have been a little hard on the tire since I got back on the road, and the rear skin ain't-a-gonna make 1,000 miles like I planned....dammit Jim....
I guess my trip ain't happenin',l but at least I can get out and burn the rest off locally over the next couple days....migh get another 600 mi outta it....maybe...... :motonoises: :'( :'(

Y'all ride safe, and swill one for me while kickin' 'tars, kick a couple for me also....I'll be doin the same.... >:D

I can't/won't chastise/ridicule you for being cautious, but you know me; I run them to the very end.

I headed to Lake George a number of years back for another Fall Foliage rally on a rear tire, I thought, was marginal. Every time I stopped for gas or a smoke, I eyeballed the thing. Figured that once I got there I'd just hang around town and sight see. As it turned out, the tire still looked okay and I decided to head out and just ride. IIRC, put another 300-400 miles on the bike when I was there and headed home once the festivities were over. That tire stayed on the bike several more months for my daily commute to 5900 Eastport Blvd.

Tires are good for this jaunt, but that damned fork seal is bugging me. Will swap it out once I get home.

519 starts at Colesville New Jersey at Rte 23. It then heads south to Stockton NJ and Rte 29 which is where 519 starts. Has a lot of names on the way, but marked with blue CR 519 signs.

Jerry Gowen said:
519 starts at Colesville New Jersey at Rte 23. It then heads south to Stockton NJ and Rte 29 which is where 519 starts. Has a lot of names on the way, but marked with blue CR 519 signs.

Thanks Jer.

Looking forward to seeing Kat and you.

I'm currently packing up.  Bringing a bunch of cigars along, but I'll probably buy my alcohol down there.

I saw a couple on a silver C14 on 9W in Catskill this afternoon, headed south with the bike all packed up.  Guessing it is someone headed down there early.

I'll be there in the morning, Thursday.

COG-528 said:
Cap'n Bob said:
COG-528 said:

Bob, you misunderstood the intention of my suggestion.  If you are on US-209 in PA you can cross the Dingman's Ferry bridge and continue North to NJ-23 in Montague, NJ.  Buy fuel & beer in Montague then hop on I-84 and be at Rally Central after riding 3.1 miles. 
That way you have cold beer to enjoy
beer.gif
and a full tank of cheaper fuel for the next day's ride.  Thus leaving you more money to buy more beer! :72:

Ahhhhh that makes more sense now.  :-[

Our calendar cleared for Saturday so we will be headed over Friday to spend one night.  I just booked the room.  Looking forward to it.  I'm glad we are able to make it even though it is just for one night.

;)

Leaving from Syracuse Friday morning around 9 am heading down 81 then picking up 17 if anyone is going that way and wants company let me know.

SUE Zookey said:
Our calendar cleared for Saturday so we will be headed over Friday to spend one night.  I just booked the room.  Looking forward to it.  I'm glad we are able to make it even though it is just for one night.

;)

I'm happy to be riding there with you guys on Friday

Some pics from today.

Check in:
DSC_0654.jpg

Dinner:
DSC_0653.jpg

Tri State Monument - Stand in all three states:
DSC_0633.jpg

DSC_0632.jpg

DSC_0636.jpg

Elks Memorial Park, Skyline drive in Port Jervis:
DSC_0637.jpg

DSC_0638.jpg

DSC_0639.jpg

DSC_0640.jpg

On a clear day...High Point in NJ:
DSC_0641.jpg

Delaware River from Hawks Nest:
DSC_0644.jpg

DSC_0646.jpg

DSC_0645.jpg

DSC_0643.jpg

DSC_0642.jpg

Bikes:
DSC_0651.jpg

DSC_0650.jpg

DSC_0649.jpg

DSC_0648.jpg

;

Home!  :great:

All I have to say is; Hurricane? What hurricane? Not a drop of rain here in South Jersey.  ::)

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
Home!  :great:

All I have to say is; Hurricane? What hurricane? Not a drop of rain here in South Jersey.  ::)
I'm starting to think there's some huge weather conspiracy.  According to the radar, it had been raining in Matamoras when we were having breakfast.  And was raining even harder when I got on the road.  Up near me, in the Catskills, a large band of rain had moved through.

But in reality, I didn't find so much as a drop on my ride home.  I even took a little detour up and down the mountain to get some video.  Everything is dry.  Not even any evidence of rain.

The weather guy said this morning that most of the rain was falling in the upper atmosphere and would probably not be seen on the ground yet for most of today.