• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?

Zorlac said:
Rev Ryder said:
Texas Toast unsliced is the ticket... may not be available in Joysie though.  :beerchug:
EDIT TO ADD:
You MUST use real buttah... no fake stuff.
Hmmm, what's wrong with this picture? :eek:
2f06qgn.png
HOLY SAM HOUSTON!!!
1.  You don't put garlic on Texas Toast.
2.  New York City?!?!?  Git a rope.

http://youtu.be/res1kG3HOEk

The bike originally came with radials, I've used bias ply too, the bias tires seem to wear better obviously. I'm running the second radial rear, we'll see, but to answer your question, I can't tell the difference between the two other than wear.

This winter I will be replacing tires on my 86 for the first time. After much reading this is what i was thinking for 200 lb rider with full bags and almost empty trunk commuting and touring, or similar sized passenger with empty saddlebags on Sunday afternoon rides... Avon Cobra 150/80B16  load rating 77 with Michelin Pilot Road 3 -110/80/ZR18 up front. Was thinking that the Avon's 77 load rating would be good for my use, also liked that neither of these tires have a centerline either straight, ziggy or broken which I have found wear faster and start cupping. And yes my deceleration wobble is getting worse, I'm afraid to share my bike in case my friends get hurt. Last spring I replaced the head bearings so this winter Ill readjust them, full service on rear suspension just completed.

or I might just get a set of Avon's new Storm 3-D XM's. I'm sure they would be great, I only use Avon for my Commando. My guess is the front will wear (cup) around the same rate as the rear wears out, but it's all just a guess. I guess.

• Okay....'splain sumthin' to me, Lucy.

What is meant by "Gold Wing sizes?"  Isn't a size just a size? What makes the stock 110/80-18 front  & the 150/80-16 rear "Gold Wing" sizes? They look like Connie sizes to me.

I see something like, "The Avon Venoms in Gold Wing sizes work well."

Aren't these sizes stock?

Confused.....

Also....I know there are lots of opinions about choices...much depends on your size, load, riding style, and typical conditions.

Soooo, here's my deal:
    • Currently running Avon Venoms (AM41 & 42).
    • About 7,000 miles deep
    • Been quite happy with them, rain or shine
    • I'm about 5'-11, 180 lbs
    • 98% 1-up rider
    • Often carry 80 lbs of camping gear on trips
    • Love a spirited run, but mostly conservative rider
    • Av. 7,000-8,000/miles/yr
    • 80% commuting (40 miles, RT), paved secondary roads
    • Will ride in dry, wet or cold (MI)
    • I like the idea of getting 10K+ out of tires, if possible

A new round of suggestions for everyone!    :beerchug:

Gold Wing sizes are 160/80x16 rear, 130/70x18 front. The rear will change your gearing about 250rpm +/- at 80mph. The front will make the bike handle like a truck.

What I and some others use:

110/80x18 Michelin PR3 on front. I'm on my fifth one. Sweet handling and riding tire with excellent wet/dry grip, all the way to the end which will be at 11-13k miles.

150/80x16 Shinko777 on the rear. I'm on my fourth one. Slightly larger in diameter than most others resulting in about 150 fewer rpms at 80mph. Nice handling, good grip wet or dry, last about 10-13k miles.

This combo is obviously a mixture of radial and bias. This combo works very well for me and others. Bonus: the Shinko is only about $90 to your door.

Good Luck.

Thanx, Steve.  What's the advantage to going with the larger tires? 2-up? Heavy loads?

BTW, my existing front Venom is a 100/80-18. That's 10 narrower than stock. Unusual?

LessPaul said:
Thanx, Steve.  What's the advantage to going with the larger tires? 2-up? Heavy loads?
Wingsize tires get more miles per dollar.  Their larger circumference create about an 8% overdrive effect as well. They can carry heavier loads as well due to the heavier construction.  However, in my opinion, they ride like a truck and handle about the same.  Handling is substantially slowed down from the stock sizes, particularly up front where I believe the 130 wing tire is seriously oversized for C-10 rims. When Michelin Pilot GTs were available, they had quite a following.  The only wing tires I ever rode on were these and they are reupted to have been the best ones ever.  Discontinued and no longer available so....

This is all MY personal opinion of Wang Sized tyres and in no way represents anyone important's summation.

I'm kinda on board with the Rev. It's all disadvantage with the Wing size, unless you want the gearing change in the rear. IMO, not worth it for what you give up. Unless you seriously over load the bike, weight hauling is not an issue.

IMO Wing size tires have a big advantage in mileage. As Rev said get more miles per dollar. In addition to the gearing change, they are way more stable. They don't track tar snakes, pavement grooves, etc near as bad as the smaller tires. -- Yes they do steer slower and are a bit harder on the pot holes. But some models ( not all ) have plenty good traction. So once you get them leaned over, they can carve a line pretty good. Just takes a lot more effort on the bars.

But all it all it depends on your need and riding style. There are plenty of people who use their Connie for freeway commuting and general moderate pace rides. For these folks they you don't give up that much ( you are not riding hard in the twisties ) , and you gain a lot in mileage and stability. This could easily be worth the trade off for some people.

Myself I have the PR3/777 combo. Been using the PR3/BT45 combo for a while, and just now went to the 777 on the last rear tire change.  But that is based on my desires. Depending on your needs and riding pace, Wing tires are not a bad choice for some.

Anyone got a good link for the PR3 Front and 777 Rear tires?  Who's found the best price and best service lately?  Seeing a lot of old links and expired sales.

Just getting started searching for myself.  Will post what I find.

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/michelin-pilot-road-3-motorcycle-tire?b=2800397

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/street-tires/t11ce7qc

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ26283

Right now between those two links, free shipping and whatnot, it should total $222.46

Yosef said:
Anyone got a good link for the PR3 Front and 777 Rear tires?  Who's found the best price and best service lately?  Seeing a lot of old links and expired sales.

Just getting started searching for myself.  Will post what I find.

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/michelin-pilot-road-3-motorcycle-tire?b=2800397

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/street-tires/t11ce7qc

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ26283

Right now between those two links, free shipping and whatnot, it should total $222.46
Google is your friend. In the past, I've found the best price on the PR3 at Dennis Kirk.

I'm not sure what the best tire on the rear is, but I know one I'll never put on again:  :mad: :'(

I got one of those Roadriders in stock size from the Motorcycle Superstore and it started getting the cracking problem on me.

IMG_0980.JPG

Turns out that tire manufacturers and tire salesmen don't like giving warranties on the crap they sell you, so if I can assist your tire choices, please take the roadriders off your list.

(I love the tire for the tire, if there was no cracking I'd have a rave review about it, but Motorcycle Superstore is making this more painful to me than it needs to be).

It looks like we're about 5 years down the road from where this post started, but I'm looking to buy a 2005 CL10, front tire is new (Michelin) but can't find the matching one for the rear (currently Dunlop on the back).  I'm most concerned because the front is radial and I assume just as with cars, we don't won't to mix Radial and Bias ply, however looks like many of the rear options are Bias ply.

I'm kinda leaning towards an Avon for the rear, at least preserving the Radial/Radial balance.

mtkseattle said:
I'm most concerned because the front is radial and I assume just as with cars, we don't won't to mix Radial and Bias ply.
Have you perused all 22 pages of this thread?

Zorlac said:
mtkseattle said:
I'm most concerned because the front is radial and I assume just as with cars, we don't won't to mix Radial and Bias ply.
Have you perused all 22 pages of this thread?

Or at least some of them? It's all in there.

Cannothas said:
I'm not sure what the best tire on the rear is, but I know one I'll never put on again:  :mad: :'(

I got one of those Roadriders in stock size from the Motorcycle Superstore and it started getting the cracking problem on me.

IMG_0980.JPG

Turns out that tire manufacturers and tire salesmen don't like giving warranties on the crap they sell you, so if I can assist your tire choices, please take the roadriders off your list.

(I love the tire for the tire, if there was no cracking I'd have a rave review about it, but Motorcycle Superstore is making this more painful to me than it needs to be).

I have run two sets of the AM 26 Roadriders from MSS with no issues. Those must have been in the warehouse for quite a while.

Well I heard one too many problems with Avon tires, altho I had 6 on my Norton that I loved...
For the much heavier C10 with accesories and a big trunk I finally decided to try Michelin.
PilotRoad3 and Commander 2 in stock sizes.
So that's a premium sport touring front radial / reinforced cruiser rear bias combo.
Excited to be rid of Metzler ME junk. Nervous about this expensive choice.
Updates to follow.

I just purchased a set of Pirelli Sport Demons from Motorcycle Superstore for $212 and change for both front and rear this morning.  When you see the prices in cart, when you check out, use code on main page, and you get an extra 5% off when you pay, giving you the 212 and change price, with free shipping.  Chaparall Motorsports has the Avon Storm 3D XN's for $246.76 for both.  Almost bought those, until I read about ball bearing feel on highway posted a few days ago.

Hi Y'all

I was looking online at tires today and notice that the "Michelin Pilot GT" is listed any more, and the replacement GT line doesn't list a 16" rear tire. So what's a fellow going to do? I'm not a Dunlop fan! I'm open for suggestions from the group.

Just got in a new 3D XM Avon for the back of my 06 bike to go with the Storm 2 Ultra on front.  Both are stock 110/80-18 and 150/80-16 sizes.  This will be my first try with the new XM.  I have a little less confidence in this tire going in than in the old Azaro.  WE'll see how I like it soon enough.

RodWpg said:
michelin pilot road 3 front 110/80zr18.....michelin commander II cruiser rear tire
So yeah, I just had the same set installed on my '86. I'm sure the front tire will be perfect. Just hoping the rear was a good choice. What is your opinion of it, so far ?

I've had a Michelin commander II on the rear for awhile now and it's hands down the best commuter tire I've tried since the pilot GT's went away.

nic1965 said:
RodWpg said:
michelin pilot road 3 front 110/80zr18.....michelin commander II cruiser rear tire
So yeah, I just had the same set installed on my '86. I'm sure the front tire will be perfect. Just hoping the rear was a good choice. What is your opinion of it, so far ?

I don't have these tires....yet....I was just replying to the post above mine who was asking what michelins he could buy. Someone said they weren't happy at all with their performance on wet. After watching Rick's videos travelling across the country on them twice and slogging thru alaska mud and still buying another pair when he replaced them I gotta think if they are good for him they would be good for me.....I dunno :/

Jim Snyder said:
I have run two sets of the AM 26 Roadriders from MSS with no issues. Those must have been in the warehouse for quite a while.

Turned out the date-code was from December of 2012, I purchased it in August 2014.
I went to AmericanMotoTire.com and got a Storm 3D XM for $143 to replace it and I'll fight with Avon for the warranty on the Roadrider. (I'll post the results of the warranty in my other thread where I asked about the Cobra AV72)

Strawboss said:
Just took off an azarro rear radial, around 13000 miles, it was spent, probably should have replaced it at 10,000 miles, guess I was used to wing size bias Metzlers. Replaced it with the new style/compound Storm ultraX 3-D, only put 100 miles on it in the last week, will know more next year, supposed to be the best thing since sliced toast. $144.00 to my front door.
Any report on the Storm ultraX 3-D
Did you use the front or rear?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 108
After reading all (many) of the posts, the tire issue seems incredibly complex.  I just obtained through a trade a 2001 C10 and the tires are Michelin Commander II (130-70-18 front, 150-80-16 rear) 5/32 front and 8/32 rear manufactured in December of 2013.  I am a novice rider, not overly aggressive and keep speeds at or below 70.  Are the 130s on the front too oversized?  My mileage will be less than 5,000 per year, so I may hit an age limit before I hit the wear out mileage limit.  Is 4 years about the maximum age I should let the tires go before replacement?  I know that 1/32 is the recommended limit, but Louisiana gets lots of rain and roads are not the best.  Should I change out at maybe a more conservative 3/32?  Is it best to change both tires at the same time with like model tires?  In relative terms, the tires are one of the least expensive operating costs for the bike.  ($0.01 / mile)

Rebel Longhorn said:
Are the 130s on the front too oversized? (I think they would be)  Is 4 years about the maximum age I should let the tires go before replacement? (Some would if they seem hard & less grippy)  I know that 1/32 is the recommended limit, but Louisiana gets lots of rain and roads are not the best.  Should I change out at maybe a more conservative 3/32? (If it feels squirrelly when it's wet probably)  Is it best to change both tires at the same time with like model tires? (I don't, I mix & match change em when they're done)

A 130/70-18 is the stock size tire for a GL1500 and often referred to as "Wing" size on the forum. The 130/70 in a bias ply tire ( which GL1500 and most Cruiser tires in that size ) will fit on a 3.0" rim which the Connie has on a 94-06 model. Its too big for the older 86-93 front wheels. These tires will steer slower, requiring more handle bar input to get them to turn. On the other hand they tend to be much more stable, tracking straighter and wandering less over tar snakes and grooves. They also get way better mileage. Like many tires traction varies depending on MFG / Model. Some models have plenty good traction for non-aggressive riders, great mileage and nice stable ride. They can be a good choice for some.

In the car world, I believe 6 years is the limit. I don't think any of the tire shops around here will even rotate tires, they won't touch them period past 6 years. For M/C's I might be more conservative. Do you know how to read the date code on tires?

Opposed to the 1/32, 2/32 thing I would run them to the wear bars. Maybe change slightly early of the wear bars. For the wet weather I try to not run past the wear bars. I would change them according to the wear bars and/or age which ever comes first.

I too mix and match tires. If we have the luxury of tons of tire choices for the C10 I would stick with matched sets. But since we have so little choices in that regard, I have mixed MFG's, AND mix bias and radials with the taboo Radial Front, Bias Rear.  -- I currently have PR3 front, 777 Rear combination.

At 15K front, 10K rear typical mileage I tend to change them independently.

Slybones said:
A 130/70-18 is the stock size tire for a GL1500 and often referred to as "Wing" size on the forum. The 130/70 in a bias ply tire ( which GL1500 and most Cruiser tires in that size ) will fit on a 3.0" rim which the Connie has on a 94-06 model. Its too big for the older 86-93 front wheels. These tires will steer slower, requiring more handle bar input to get them to turn. On the other hand they tend to be much more stable, tracking straighter and wandering less over tar snakes and grooves. They also get way better mileage. Like many tires traction varies depending on MFG / Model. Some models have plenty good traction for non-aggressive riders, great mileage and nice stable ride. They can be a good choice for some.

In the car world, I believe 6 years is the limit. I don't think any of the tire shops around here will even rotate tires, they won't touch them period past 6 years. For M/C's I might be more conservative. Do you know how to read the date code on tires?

Opposed to the 1/32, 2/32 thing I would run them to the wear bars. Maybe change slightly early of the wear bars. For the wet weather I try to not run past the wear bars. I would change them according to the wear bars and/or age which ever comes first.

I too mix and match tires. If we have the luxury of tons of tire choices for the C10 I would stick with matched sets. But since we have so little choices in that regard, I have mixed MFG's, AND mix bias and radials with the taboo Radial Front, Bias Rear.  -- I currently have PR3 front, 777 Rear combination.

At 15K front, 10K rear typical mileage I tend to change them independently.
Slybones, perfectly said.

I was happy to see this info gathered into one thread... my 2005 needs tires, and all the info here has been helpful for me to catch up on the latest recommendations.

I did read someone asking about "geeking this out" (or something to that effect). That kind of describes me. Whether I'm looking for tires, a GPS unit, or a tablesaw, I typically do a lot of research and try to gather together all that info in one place for easy comparison. Usually that means an Excel spreadsheet.

Attached is my updated tire comparison workbook, FWIW. It's far from complete. But if anyone finds this useful and wants to pick this up to add more info, I'd be happy to answer questions or help out. I just can't see having enough time to continually maintain it.

Thanks again, COG and COGgers for pushing me in the right direction!  (BTW, just ordered the Avon Storm 3D X-Ms in the stock C10 sizes.)

Attachments

• Concours_Tires v3.3.xls
    56.5 KB · Views: 157
Noted the price comparo. Cool. Thanx.

I've done business with Rocky Mountain ATV before, no issues. I intend to order up a new 777 plus a tire or two for the KLR from them, soon.

I see the Avon 3D X-M is in the 120/70ZR18, seems like we pretty much figured out that is just a bit oversized?  Same as the original Dunlap's?  Otherwise were I to buy tires today I could go with Rocky Mountain Avon front, 777 rear......seems like we had a post on this before......??  Of course that is assuming Rocky Mt is free shipping on an over $100.00 order, they all seem to be that way.

VisionDonNebr said:
I see the Avon 3D X-M is in the 120/70ZR18, seems like we pretty much figured out that is just a bit oversized?  Same as the original Dunlap's?  Otherwise were I to buy tires today I could go with Rocky Mountain Avon front, 777 rear......seems like we had a post on this before......??  Of course that is assuming Rocky Mt is free shipping on an over $100.00 order, they all seem to be that way.

Here's the Storm 3D XM in the 110/80-18 size.
http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_61_1079&products_id=6594

Rev Ryder said:
Just got in a new 3D XM Avon for the back ( how's that back tire doing ) of my 06 bike to go with the Storm 2 Ultra on front.  Both are stock 110/80-18 and 150/80-16 sizes.  This will be my first try with the new XM.  I have a little less confidence in this tire going in than in the old Azaro.  WE'll see how I like it soon enough.

After reading every page of this over the last week or two I just installed a Shinko 777 on the rear of my '86 today.  It was $88.49 shipped from Revzilla and arrived in 3 days.  This is the first non Dunlop this particular Connie has had.  Between the cost and the being worn out in 5k miles I just couldn't do another stock Dunlop. 

Thanks for everyone sharing their experiences here.  I'm looking forward to getting 1500 miles on my new 'economy' tire next weekend in NW AR.

Well, i think I'm done. Two sets of Avon 3D X-M stock sizes left me with a unsettling ride above 50. I decided to try one last thing since Avon's specs showed the 120 70ZR 18 fit a 3 1/2" rim, I got a 110 80ZR 18 for a 3" rim (which we have) and tried it with an old E3 bias ply on the rear. The speedo was 1.5% slow but seemed pretty steady last nite.
Today, I put the  150 80ZR 16 on the rear and rode it this evening. Everything seems OK with easier turn ins, but not as stable as E3 or Venom bias plys.
So Avon has a matched set of radials 110 80ZR 18 front and 120 70ZR 18 rear that will work.
If you want a long lasting (15k mile) tire that steers and rides like a truck and really stable, get the Dunlop ELITE 3 (not DUNLOP AMERICAN ELITE, it's not the same) in Goldwing sizes DUNLOP ELITE 3 130/70B-18 M/C 63H, FRONT  and DUNLOP ELITE 3 160/80B-16 M/C 80H, REAR (MULTI TREAD)
This took over two months and 70 emails to find the problem. Avon has not admitted a size problem. A forum monitor pointed it out to the the factory rep months ago. They knew but never suggested the cure for 'riding on marbles'.

Mike, it was on pg 110 of the paper issue. I'll see if I can find a link for you.
Ron

Mike-didn't find it either. I guess they lag the paper copy with the online posting to encourage subscription. Sorry.

Mike said:
Rev Ryder said:
Just got in a new 3D XM Avon for the back ( how's that back tire doing ) of my 06 bike to go with the Storm 2 Ultra on front.  Both are stock 110/80-18 and 150/80-16 sizes.  This will be my first try with the new XM.  I have a little less confidence in this tire going in than in the old Azaro.  WE'll see how I like it soon enough.
Finally put it in and rode about 700 miles this weekend.  It did fine for me.  Not overly confidence inspiring just comfortable, but then I did half of my riding or more on wet roads or in the rain so never really pushed it.  It never slipped a bit and felt predictable enough..  The wiggle is there in turbulent air (behind trucks) but that is just gonna be there IMHO due to Connie's big plastics and relatively small tire size.  Never felt unsettled and I rode some distance up to 115 mph without issue.  Rode a lot of rain grooves and reground highway too , but it didn't follow the lines as badly as most tires.  That was nice.  So far I have no complaints. 

Mike said:
If you want a long lasting (15k mile) tire that steers and rides like a truck and really stable, get the Dunlop ELITE 3 (not DUNLOP AMERICAN ELITE, it's not the same) in Goldwing sizes DUNLOP ELITE 3 130/70B-18 M/C 63H, FRONT  and DUNLOP ELITE 3 160/80B-16 M/C 80H, REAR (MULTI TREAD)

I have these on mine and really like them a lot. They feel very predictable on multiple surfaces and track extremely well through the corners (just pick a line and go). Hope Dunlop keeps making these.

I'm hesitant to jump into a tire thread when I'm so new to this forum.....  but, I just purchased a 95 Connie the other day, which came with Avon Azaros front and rear, which the PO said he put on 4 years ago- mileage average was 2000 a year, according to him.  Tires look great- a lot of tread, no cracking, nothing.  And they have felt fine (better than fine- very solid).  Well, date code says rear is from 2004, front is from 2003.  I expect that the date code doesn't lie, but the tires sure do look good.  Now I'm paranoid to ride the bike at all.

So, I just ordered a pair of Avon Storm 3Ds, front and rear, stock sizes.  I hope I like them.  I have been using Dunlops on my current daily driver (77 GL1000), but have not been happy with them at all.  After I went through the last one in 4600 miles, I decided I would pay the premium for high quality tires.  That, and I expect to put on more than 10,000 miles in the next year, and I would rather not replace tires any more often.  Thus the Avons.  Sure hope that I like them.  I did pay a bit too much- wish I had seen Crashcup's spreadsheet, but I did price them, and eventually went with MC Superstore because they had them in stock- everyplace else I checked said the rear wouldn't ship until early May.  Of course, I've never heard of Rocky Mtn. ATV, so.....

Ultrarunner said:
I'm hesitant to jump into a tire thread when I'm so new to this forum.....  but, I just purchased a 95 Connie the other day, which came with Avon Azaros front and rear, which the PO said he put on 4 years ago- mileage average was 2000 a year, according to him.  Tires look great- a lot of tread, no cracking, nothing.  And they have felt fine (better than fine- very solid).  Well, date code says rear is from 2004, front is from 2003.  I expect that the date code doesn't lie, but the tires sure do look good.  Now I'm paranoid to ride the bike at all.
(Wow! those tires are old if you read the code right!
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11
Tires Manufactured Since 2000

Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year.

Example of a tire manufactured since 2000 with the current Tire Identification Number format:
DOT U2LL LMLR 5107
51 Manufactured during the 51st week of the year
07 Manufactured during 2007

So, I just ordered a pair of Avon Storm 3Ds, front and rear, stock sizes. 
( I had a problem with the stock size 120 70zr 18 because it was for a 3.5" rim. I cured it by replacing it with a 110 80zr 18. The 120 is too big for your rim. http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/storm-3d-x-m  ...) 
I hope I like them.  I have been using Dunlops on my current daily driver (77 GL1000), but have not been happy with them at all.  After I went through the last one in 4600 miles, I decided I would pay the premium for high quality tires.  That, and I expect to put on more than 10,000 miles in the next year, and I would rather not replace tires any more often.  Thus the Avons.  Sure hope that I like them.  I did pay a bit too much- wish I had seen Crashcup's spreadsheet, but I did price them, and eventually went with MC Superstore because they had them in stock- everyplace else I checked said the rear wouldn't ship until early May.  Of course, I've never heard of Rocky Mtn. ATV, so.....

Hasn't been an Azaro front (for the ZG1000) made in awhile. Since that time we've seen what... STORMS, STORM ULTRAS, STORM ULTRA I Is, STORM ULTRA 3Ds, and now the STORM ULTRA 3D XMs. Yep, been awhile. I'm happy to hear you're changing them out.  :great:

I really wanted that "0" to look like a "1" on the date code, but as hard as I try, it's still a "0".  Thanks for the heads up on the front sizing - cancelled the order on the front - maybe I'll be able to save a few dollars as well.  I'm anxious to get them on so I can ride!

nic1965 said:
I finally decided to try Michelin.
PilotRoad3 and Commander 2 in stock sizes.
So that's a premium sport touring front radial / reinforced cruiser rear bias combo.
Excited to be rid of Metzler ME junk. Nervous about this expensive choice.
Updates to follow.
Tires are mounted and look great, PR3 front required NO weights to balance, Commander2 rear needed 3 chicklets.
no dots on the tires to line up valve stems, the shop foreman said the better made tires don't need them anymore...the front tire will loose a few pounds of air between rides, might have to have it remounted,,,
After 2 short rides and 2 afternoon rides, I'm happy. Bike handles great with no wobble or headshake. Have not been out in the rain yet tho.

I couldn't help but notice that this discussion mostly addresses stock tire sizes (16" rear and 18" fronts).  And that lovely spreadsheet that someone generously built contained no info on 17" rubber.

I bought an '02 a few months ago, and I am in the process of converting both wheels to 17".  Is it safe to assume that the described characteristics of 16 and 18 inch tires will apply to the 17" equivalents?

I've read enough here to know that mixing biases is not a big deal.  But given that I'm buying both tires at the same time, wouldn't it be better to buy a matched set? 

FWIW, I weigh 225, and I am not an aggressive rider (though I want to be).  I hope to take 1-2 medium/long distance solo trips per year.  The rest of my miles are spent on occasional commutes and weekend day/joy rides.  Tires are likely to expire by date than by mileage for me.  Having said all that, can someone out there recommend their favorite choice for 17" tires?  Or should I just make my choice based on the information for 16"/18" tires?

Dude- I am running Dunlop Roadsmart 2 front and rear - 120/70 front, 160/70 rear. I really like these tires but find the front very noisy on these rough Texas roads. The front tread on the Roadsmart has very aggressive rain grooves. I may try something else next time.

Dano 44 I have heard that all the cool people only ride the best..Pirelli sport demons front and rear, Nice grip and good wear, great in the rain >:D

The Dude said:
I couldn't help but notice that this discussion mostly addresses stock tire sizes (16" rear and 18" fronts).  And that lovely spreadsheet that someone generously built contained no info on 17" rubber.

I bought an '02 a few months ago, and I am in the process of converting both wheels to 17".  Is it safe to assume that the described characteristics of 16 and 18 inch tires will apply to the 17" equivalents?

I've read enough here to know that mixing biases is not a big deal.  But given that I'm buying both tires at the same time, wouldn't it be better to buy a matched set? 

FWIW, I weigh 225, and I am not an aggressive rider (though I want to be).  I hope to take 1-2 medium/long distance solo trips per year.  The rest of my miles are spent on occasional commutes and weekend day/joy rides.  Tires are likely to expire by date than by mileage for me.  Having said all that, can someone out there recommend their favorite choice for 17" tires?  Or should I just make my choice based on the information for 16"/18" tires?
Michelin PR4, PR3, PR2, in that order.

Just got off the phone with a local, private bike repair shop. Wanted to get his mount/balance price if I brought the tires & wheels in to him. Asked me what I was going with for tires. I figured I'd go with the "consensus" here - Michelin PR3 front and Shinko 777 rear.

His disdain for the Shinko was palpable. Like he wasn't sure he'd even agree to mount it.

"Junk. Absolute junk."

And he owns the '03 Connie I see parked outside his shop.

Why the hate, ya think?

LessPaul said:
Just got off the phone with a local, private bike repair shop. Wanted to get his mount/balance price if I brought the tires & wheels in to him. Asked me what I was going with for tires. I figured I'd go with the "consensus" here - Michelin PR3 front and Shinko 777 rear.

His disdain for the Shinko was palpable. Like he wasn't sure he'd even agree to mount it.

"Junk. Absolute junk."

And he owns the '03 Connie I see parked outside his shop.

Why the hate, ya think?

Old opinions are difficult to get away from...I remember getting some Shinkos when I was a parts manager...20 years ago...and they were junk!  Then they buy Yokohama's motorcycle technology...apply it to their product line...and, a few years later, they are competetive in the bike tire marketplace...

But, first impressions are difficult to leave behind...

I have Shinkos front and rear on my bike...and, there's a 17" Verge 2X waiting to be mounted on my MS wheel...I have no problems running their tires.

Years ago I can remember being at Daytona for Bike Week and hearing this new brand of motorcycle tire called
"Dun-flops"...how time and improvement changes things!

LessPaul said:
Ask him for a price on the Michelin Commander 2 rear & the PR3 front.

LessPaul said:
I figured I'd go with the "consensus" here - Michelin PR3 front and Shinko 777 rear.

There can be no consensus in a tire thread...why that's just plain un-American.

Rev Ryder said:
LessPaul said:
I figured I'd go with the "consensus" here - Michelin PR3 front and Shinko 777 rear.

There can be no consensus in a tire thread...why that's just plain un-American.

Yeah, why can't there be a clear winner like there is with oil?? ;)

Want to replace the front Dunflop 120/70 18 the PO put on. About 3,000 miles on them but after a 300 mile day yesterday found them to be very twitchy/wiggly. Gotta say it pierced my confidence a bit.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time finding the Avon Storm 2 Ultra or the Venoms in that size tire or preferably the OEM 110/80 18. Anyone have a line on where I can find them? I checked several vendors and couldn't find them.
Thanks, 

Can't answer that right now. But I have a more basic question.

Does anyone (other than Avon) make a radial for the 16" rear wheel on a Connie?
I think everyone (except Avon) has stopped production of 16" radials.. (gloom)

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Can't answer that right now. But I have a more basic question.

Does anyone (other than Avon) make a radial for the 16" rear wheel on a Connie?
I think everyone (except Avon) has stopped production of 16" radials.. (gloom)

Ride safe, Ted

dunlop

I've run many a mile on the Dunlop Elite 3 Radials on my GL1800. In looking at the sizes available it appears they are at least 30mm wider than the stock size called for on a C10. ???

The dearth of manufacturers for "stock" sized tires is what is causing me to go to the Mean Streak conversion (in the works as I type this). I'm sick of not being able to get tires (been waiting 2 weeks so far  :mad: )

Ranger Jim said:
I've run many a mile on the Dunlop Elite 3 Radials on my GL1800. In looking at the sizes available it appears they are at least 30mm wider than the stock size called for on a C10. ???

I see that my front is a 130 grrrr sad face. Dunlop does make a roadsmart in a 110, but that's not what I have, wonder how it would be to put a roadsmart on the front and e3 on the back.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/sport-trackday-race/sport-touring/roadsmart-ii/

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/road/touring/elite-3/

I was Wrong  ::) Dunlop does NOT make a matched set of radials for this bike.....the rear E3 radial is apparently too big, They do make a E3 bias which fits the rear, and a roadsmart II radial which is correct size for the front......and that is as close as you get for dunlops .....so sorry if I caused confusion.

if I am still wrong talk to Camper Dave
J/k
if I'm wrong let me know so I can apologize again :/

RodWpg said:
I was Wrong  ::) Dunlop does NOT make a matched set of radials for this bike.....the rear E3 radial is apparently too big, They do make a E3 bias which fits the rear, and a roadsmart II radial which is correct size for the front......and that is as close as you get for dunlops .....so sorry if I caused confusion.

if I am still wrong talk to Camper Dave
J/k
if I'm wrong let me know so I can apologize again :/

I reckon you'd be right if it wasn't for the K701/700G combo.  ;D

oooooo I missed that one! thanx, altho it is a 120 front as opposed to 110 it would work, odd looking tires and they don't tell you anything about them on the dunlop website

RodWpg said:
oooooo I missed that one! thanx, altho it is a 120 front as opposed to 110 it would work, odd looking tires and they don't tell you anything about them on the dunlop website

If you look a the specs that 120 is only as wide as a 110. That is whats so screwed up about this whole thing.  Using them calculators 110mm = 4.33", 120mm = 4.72". That Dunflop 120 is only 4.37 inches wide according to their site back when the posted it. Its only .04 wider than a 110 and no where near 120. It is designed for a 3.0" wheel the Connie has. It is designed for the Connie.  So yes that one fits. -- Problem is now the manual says 120, people see 120 and go buy 120 radial tires that are higher performance, newer design, etc. All these regular 120 radial tires are 4.7x in size and designed for 3.5" wheel min.  -- So essentially Mamma K screwed us all up by spec'ing and getting Dunlop to produce this bastardized tire.

am curious if any of you have tried the Michelin Commander II's on BOTH ends.....
they make a 130/70x18 for the front, and I'm wondering if these would slow down and take the
wind wobbles - wandering on the road groove  wiggles out of the Connie..... I know it would be an
oversize tire for the front, and have read that it would help some...?

bike is a '95 so it has the wider front wheel....

I'm old (67), and am not going very fast around the corners anymore.... I should add that I'll be carrying my Wife of 47 years with me sometimes, so stability is paramount....if it was slow and predictable, I'd be happy ?

whaddya think ?

Skip

Old OutLaw said:
am curious if any of you have tried the Michelin Commander II's on BOTH ends.....
they make a 130/70x18 for the front, and I'm wondering if these would slow down and take the
wind wobbles - wandering on the road groove  wiggles out of the Connie..... I know it would be an

I'm old (67), and am not going very fast around the corners anymore.... I should add that I'll be carrying my Wife of 47 years with me sometimes, so stability is paramount....if it was slow and predictable, I'd be happy ?

whaddya think ?

Skip
                      I put those on my old 87 750 Vulcan- the only thing on the bike I liked-the stator eating piece of junk

I had a Commander II on the rear, real scary on wet corners. They slip out way too easy. I could nail it on wet roads going straight, though.

I whined to Michelin about it and they refunded my $$.  :great:

Old OutLaw said:

whaddya think ?

Skip

On the forum a 130/70-18 and 160/80-16 are referred to as Wing size tires as those are what a GL1500 call for. And the GL1500 has the same size front and rear wheels as the Connie. So a 130/70-18 in a bias ply tire is designed for and fits the 3.0 inch rim just fine. You will have to pull 2 of the fender bolts on one side to slide the tire up and into place. One there the fender bolts can go back in and has all the right clearance.

As mentioned the 130/70 will steer slower. It will take more pressure on the bars to get them to steer. I will take 1-2 days to get used to, and then you wont even realize it any more. Saying they "drive poorly" all depends on your priorities. They will do exactly what you want. They will help a lot with decal wobble, stability, tracking on grooves and tar snakes, wind wobbles, etc. For most they make the inaccurate speedo accurate. Using Wing Tars front and rear, the bike will be easier to get on the center stand, lean over more when in the side stand, raise your seat height about 1/2 inch.

Overall since you are not running the corners hard, ride 2 up regular and stability factor is your top priority,  I think a set of Wing Size tires would be a great choice for you.

Which ones is the question. ME880's and Commanders have had complains about wet weather traction. But that is also from a more SPORT/touring crowd. Probably not an issue for the more sport/TOURING oriented rider.  Dunlop Elite 3's are posta handle fine in the wet. I rode a Connie with them for a 1/2 day once and they steer slower like the ME880's did. But from those who have tried them they do fine in the wet. Note these are bias ply E3's for GL1500 not radial E3's for GL1800. There are other GL1500 tires as well.  For a while Michelin made the much loved Pilot GT specifically for the GL1500 and people loved them on the Connie. I tried a set and for Wing tires they were the best of the bunch. And worked great in the rain. Too bad these are not around anymore.

Well....allrighty then, Mushlin's it is.....

I've always liked mich's anyhow, on a truck, (Big Rig), they are about the ONLY tire
that is actually Round, and they also take much less weight to balance.....I run them
on everything I own, and sounds like they will be just the ticket for me Connfabulation...

I don't ride atall in the rain, so that's notaproblemmo....

Thanks Gents, I sure do 'preciate the info..... now, if only ya'll could cure me low RPM blues....

*SIGH* ....

Skip

now, if only ya'll could cure me low RPM blues....

Probably carb passages, or pilot jetts stopped up.

Contact Steve!! (Shouldaben Engineering)
He can clean and rebuild carbs and add the 2 minute jet kit (for better response)
  (He also sells parts to improve low end power)...

Do that, and Problem solved......

Ride safe, Ted

Now, back to tarrrrs,,,,,,,,,

Old OutLaw said:
Well....allrighty then, Mushlin's it is.....

I've always liked mich's anyhow, on a truck, (Big Rig), they are about the ONLY tire
that is actually Round, and they also take much less weight to balance.....I run them
on everything I own, and sounds like they will be just the ticket for me Connfabulation...

I don't ride atall in the rain, so that's notaproblemmo....

Thanks Gents, I sure do 'preciate the info..... now, if only ya'll could cure me low RPM blues....

*SIGH* ....

Skip

Note that last sentence. The much loved Michelin Pilot GT's for the GL1500 are no longer made. At least last I heard.  I also have a GL1800 in addition to the Connie and was looking at tires the other day. Something I spotted while looking was the Dunlop Elite 3's for the GL1500 were redesigned not too long ago and getting good reviews from that crowd. I don't know of anyone on the C10 using the new E3's for the GL1500. Not talked about that much any more.

I have the E3 on the front and will be switching it to the dunlop roadsmart II at the end of the month as it comes in 110 size....e3 only in 130, I thought I had an E3 on the back, but it does not come in the correct size either and it turns out mine is a E3 'BIAS' ...not radial but it does come in correct size

The E3's for a GL1500 are bias ply tires. The E3's for the GL1800 are radials. My observation while out looking at GL1800 tires was the GL1500 E3's have a fairly recent redesign of the tire. And they are getting good reviews. --  A GL1500 has the same exact size wheels front and rear as the C10. So any set of tires that are designed for a GL1500, albeit bias ply tires, will fit the C10 wheels and be within the tire specifications. No its not the size listed in the C10 manual, but they fit and have no clearance problems other than removing the fender bolts to get the installed. They have their advantages and disadvantages. For Old Outlaw it seems the advantages are items he has high on the priority list, and the disadvantages he is willing to live with. Sounds like a good choice for him.

yep, the "Disadvantages"  are only Diss's if they impact the way you ride.....

the Michelin Commanders are heavier tires and should give more stability because of the increased
Gyroscopic effect also....

and the rear is a "B" spec rated tire, which will work well when carrying the Wife.

Win - Win.... and Michelin Quality...  Win.

Skip

Well, I recieved the Michelin Commander II Front tire today, got it mounted, and
test rode the bike.....slowed down the steering nicely, got rid of the "riding around
on a sheet of Ice" feeling that the front end had, still corners better'n I can ride, and
it's a LOT smoother, and more stable in crosswinds and the turbulence found behind
trucks on the Freeway.....I like it a lot......

when I get the corresponding Commander II tire on the rear, I think it's gonna be Wondermuss .....

thanks for all the input guys, it helped a lot !

Skip 

Well, I sure hope so.....be nice to have the back one also improve the stability a
bit, as this bike is still a bit on the goofy side....I did get down on all fours and
took a good look at the rear, and it's definitely cupped a bit too.....

I also just walked back in the house after changing that stupid tank Valve over
to a manual valve....no mo vacuum operated whatchaMacallits for me.....that's
what's wrong with this world nowadays, everybody, (well, MOST everbody),
wants things to work with no effort....where's the fun in that ?? ...now it's more
in line with my "Old School"  way of wanting things...

she ain't gonna leak no mo.....  :great:

Skip

UPDATE :

finally got the rear tire on, and all I can say is WOW !  what a difference.....much
more stable in the crosswinds - turbulance....still corners very well, much less "Turn
in" doesn't try to fall in to the corner, lot more predictable...and somehow, it's still
light and "Flickable" thru the twisties....Love these Commanders.

P.S.  best price I found was Jake Wilson....excellent, fast service too.

Thanks

Skip

Good for you old outlaw,
                                      If your ever near forest grove give me a shout, I'll let you ride mine to try out the Pirelli's , We can do the twisties at Hagg Lake,
                    Steve

sounds like fun, but I don't go very fast anymore LOL....at 68 years young,
I have gotten over it..... Almost anyhow

Skip

Old OutLaw said:
sounds like fun, but I don't go very fast anymore LOL....at 68 years young,
I have gotten over it..... Almost anyhow

Skip

I am like a spring chicken-54 years old LOL :) I also like to go slow too, or the speed limit 3/4 of the time.

2 year,  2002 C-10 owner, after buying the bike from the original owner with 14,000 miles both tires needed replacing, went with Bridgestone BT-45's. Wasn't hip to the Radial/Bias thing. Front was a 110/70-18 (correct is 120/70-18) Rear 150/80-16. Seemed fine, handled OK, wore fast.  Replaced both at 6+ K miles. Went with stock Dunlop front, and Shinko 230 150/80-16 (bias) rear. Felt good, But after 2500 miles rear looked like it might not go another 3K anticipated for the trip to, and back from the Nationals. So dismounted the 230, and mounted the Shinko 777HD (bias). Handled way better than the Bridgestone's, felt about the same as Dunlop front, 230  rear. but the 777HD,  after 2980 miles looks like it will do another 6K. Not bad! But after riding with (Island) Bob Rainey for 300 + miles during the Nationals, my next set of tires will be: Michelin Pilot Road 4 front (correct size) and Shinko SE890 160/80-16 rear (both radials).  Because every time we stopped to rest, or take pictures Bob said "Man, I like these tires!"  This is his 5th C-10.  Good enough for me  :great:
Oh, I've got 25,840 on her now, I love my C-10, when I wear it out I'll get another  :motonoises:

Dunlop roadsmart II 110/80ZR18 front tire (radial)......I put one on today and have been riding all night, very very pleased. Dunlop Elite 3 Bias on back 160/80B16.

Had a dunlop elite3 radial on the front, but it was a 130....came on the bike,have used it 2 1/2 seasons.....glad to switch to a 110 size.

I have been wrestling with this bike for 2 1/2 seasons at low speeds, I'm talking mostly about doing right hand turns from a stop, pulling away when the light turns type situation. I figured it was cause I was getting old and fat....which I am, but switching to a 110 helps.

The bike has a much lighter feel to it.

Haven't been out on the highway much yet but it would have to be pretty terrible for me to change my mind.