• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

RUN WITH THE WOLF

Ranger Jim

Sport Tourer
RUN WITH THE WOLF, SECOG's Spring Rally, is up on the calendar. This the the 19th annual RUN WITH THE WOLF, making it one of the longest running rallies in COGdom. The rally is returning to the Wildcat Lodge & Campground in Suches, GA, dates are April 19-21. Rallymaster Jen Simons has a great rally planned; the only thing missing is you. Make your plans now, get registered and meet up with us in the middle of some of the greatest riding in the USA. Meet some old friends, make some new ones, share stories around the campfire and discover or re-discover what it is that makes COG such a great organization to be part of.

Jean and I will be there, and we are coming up on Thursday this time to have one extra day of riding  :great:

Do you know if they rebuilt the house that burned down?  That was a nice place to stay, as "rustic" as it was  ;D

From what I know, it didn't "burn down." They had a fire in the walls and some pretty bad smoke damage. Jen and Al have more info.

I spoke to them a few weeks ago. They indicated the house would not be ready. There was major damage in the upstairs area, guess building code's may be an issue???

Cool, 2 years in a row now with it the week before my oldest son's birthday!  I will see you guys there!  This is a great place for a rally, hope we get to see some new faces.

Ranger Jim said:
Rain? That wasn't rain!  The rain was for the 16th Annual RWTW at High Valley Resort.

I beg to differ. There's a difference between 'rain' and 'monsoon'...

The rain monsoon only lasted five hours. We even had our own private lake.

But we had free beer!  :beerchug:

I believe Tom said he was bringing the beer this year. Thanks Tom!

MotoCommuter said:
The rain monsoon only lasted five hours. We even had our own private lake.

But we had free beer!  :beerchug:
I believe Tom said he was bringing the beer this year. Thanks Tom!

And all along I thought you were coming for the skills enhancement, comaraderie, fresh air, and chance to play with your camping toys. Shows how little I knew...  :rotflmao:

I was coming up from Gainesville in the really THICK "fog" on Saturday morning, wiping it from my, well, everywhere, thinking, "Boy, I get to go to my first rally with COG in the rain and do my first poker run in the rain." (I got enough rainy camping with Boy Scouts for 11 years). Then,  when I got to Union Powersports, everybody was wimping out and saying we were going to have a Poker Walk INSIDE the dealership! What???? All the big talk about riding in all weather, year round, and here we're walking around inside a building looking at motorcycles. Sheesh.. But it was fun. Some silly talk about safety or something....

But my afternoon ride to Tellico Plains and back with a couple of the guys more than made up for that! It was about the people, not the bikes. Hmm..... Can't wait to do it again.  :motonoises:

Can't wait,Already been talking to Carol about it and told her to make sure and get it on the vacation schedule at work before anybody else does and I'll do the same-YAHOO! :beerchug:

Roger

BBerry said:
I spoke to them a few weeks ago. They indicated the house would not be ready. There was major damage in the upstairs area, guess building code's may be an issue???

Huh, that's troubling. I emailed with them the begining of this month to reserve the Lodge House. They said it was available and someone would call me within the week to get my credit card #. Now that I think about it they never did call...but they also mentioned nothing about the place possibly not being available either. Hmmmm. Think I need to make a call.

I am a Princess you see, and do not tent camp whilst on motorcycle trips. With the horses or cub scouts, sure. But at the end of day of riding I want climate control and waterproof conditions.  ;D

Lots of nice cabins and B&B's in the area. Contact the Fannin County Chamber of commerce in Blue Ridge or Union Chamber in Blairsville for some recommendations.

Regarding the Lodge: I got off the phone not long ago with folks from the Wildcat and as it turns out just the upstairs is unavailable (due to the fire damage). And they do have me down for having it reserved for the 19th and 20th. :celebrate:  I know there are other places to stay locally, but I don't want to miss out on the campfires.  :beerchug:

My understanding is that there is a double bed, and a few twins they moved into the dining area(?) on the first floor. Can any of you confirm that for me? As long as the double bed is in a separate room, we would be open to sharing the Lodge with other Coggers. PM me and we can figure it out.

Patti, You are correct, the bottom floor will be open. The small bedroom will have a full bed and there will be three twin in the dining area. But, I understand you have reserved all of them. This could make you the most proper person at the rally.  :)

Looking forward to this years Run with the Wolf.  Already marked on the Calendar.  I'll be coming from Columbus, GA so I'm sure I'll be hooking up with a few COGers enroute.  A few have already expressed interest in riding up together.  PM if we haven't exchanged contact info yet so we can keep in touch as these dates near. 

Mike ;)

BBerry said:
Patti, You are correct, the bottom floor will be open. The small bedroom will have a full bed and there will be three twin in the dining area. But, I understand you have reserved all of them. This could make you the most proper person at the rally.  :)

I highly doubt I'll be the most proper.  :D 
J/K  I get what you were going for.

Yeah, not trying to bogart the beds, but I guess that is just how they rent it (whole house to one person). They said that if others stay in it, I'm to collect the money ($25 PP per night) and just give it them and let them know.

I'll accept beer and dark chocolate as methods of winning favor should there be a run on the beds.

I plan on being there, y'all need a least one smiling face from the middle of Arkansas there. Making it the first ride of the year.

Cliff  :beerchug:

I'm the "new guy" and I have registered for the rally!!!!!  Truth be told, I won't be getting any awards for traveling the farthest for this.  This is my back yard and typical area for most of my "romps" through the hills.  I live less than an hour away.  This is a beautiful area with plenty of technical riding. 

But, I'm bringing my tent and planning on being there for every moment.

I believe I'm all set with COG registration (I have my green dot on the calendar), but I am assuming we ALSO need to contact the campground to make tent site reservations.

Since I don't have far to travel I will be over-packing my tramp with some beer, Jack Daniels, and some munchies for all to enjoy!  (how's that for brown-nosing my way to get new friends?). LOL

Can't wait!!!

:beerchug:

Since I don't have far to travel I will be over-packing my tramp with some beer, Jack Daniels, and some munchies for all to enjoy!  (how's that for brown-nosing my way to get new friends?). LOL

Paul, that's pretty much the way the SE rolls. You just left out the cigars.  Al

Kurt, I'm thinking we'll need two, but we'll see how registration goes. We have the possibility to be near 100 this year, which isn't a stretch from the 70 riders last year.
Guess everyone was happy with the Killians Red?????      Al

IronButtAl said:
Kurt, I'm thinking we'll need two, but we'll see how registration goes. We have the possibility to be near 100 this year, which isn't a stretch from the 70 riders last year.
Guess everyone was happy with the Killians Red?????      Al

I think everyone was happy with Free beer. Killians Red is fine with me.

Kurt

I happen to LIKE Killians Red,  :great: and LOVE free beer  :beerchug:

Some home brew would be nice as well (hint, hint)

I'm a newbie too!  Riding up from Central Florida.  I'm looking forward to a change of scenery,
as well as some great riding.  Never been a serious camper.  Don't have the gear for starters.
Probably going to rent a cabin nearby.  I've already started looking around.  Most local cabins
are at least 2 BR, so anyone looking for luxury and comfort, I'm willing to split costs.
Also thinking about a Thursday ride up, and poking around a bit... Stocking up beer...etc.

Too much mention of the "R" word 'round here so early.... let's keep bright sunshiny thoughts!

Time to turn my commuter Connie into a weekender!  Woot!

High Valley Resort has some primitive 2 bed cabins (no toilets in cabin, basically a hard sided tent). They are reasonably close (IIRC ~6 miles). Wildcat also has a bunk house; it's called the "Door" house (army cots). Has the advantage of being right on site.

Ranger Jim said:
High Valley Resort has some primitive 2 bed cabins (no toilets in cabin, basically a hard sided tent). They are reasonably close (IIRC ~6 miles). Wildcat also has a bunk house; it's called the "Door" house (army cots). Has the advantage of being right on site.

Amenities Jim.... Amenities.  Indoor plumbing and Satellite TV....  It's well worth the extra $$$.  :beerchug:
That hot shower in the morning, in my own bathrooom, is priceless.
Appreciate the input though!!  ;D 

Mcfly said:
Ranger Jim said:

Amenities Jim.... Amenities.  Indoor plumbing and Satellite TV....  It's well worth the extra $$$.  :beerchug:
That hot shower in the morning, in my own bathrooom, is priceless.
Appreciate the input though!!  ;D

Different strokes and all that, but by not staying on site, you lose a lot of the essence of the get together, IMHO. For sure, you lose out on the deep philosophical discussions around the camp fire involving free beer and various interpretations of the "finest" cigars.

Regardless, see ya there. We usually have a FL contingent that leaves EARLY Thurs morning, stay tuned.

SteveJ. said:
Different strokes and all that, but by not staying on site, you lose a lot of the essence of the get together, IMHO. For sure, you lose out on the deep philosophical discussions around the camp fire involving free beer and various interpretations of the "finest" cigars.

I completely understand the "it's my loss" aspect SteveJ  :( , but I also know if I'm a cranky b!t*h because
I got no sleep, I'll be ruining more than just my good time, but a good motorcycle as well.  Besides, I can
have a pretty good time watching people get sauced, I'm usually the DD, so I'm no stranger to it.
(That's WHY I keep really good beer at home)

SteveJ. said:
Regardless, see ya there. We usually have a FL contingent that leaves EARLY Thurs morning, stay tuned.

I'll be watching for that "early FL contingent" update!

If any one is needing camping gear let me know. I'm trailering the KLR up there as im spending the entire week up there camping.

kurt

Nope, towing the RV with the Connie...  :rotflmao:  KLR is not large enough to hold all the gear this boy owns.... 

My first RWTW, John Carver was the first guy to greet me.  He & I hooked up a couple times to ride up in Kentucky, then we spent a night hinkey-tonkin' in Nashville.  Now, if John is well enough to make an appearance this year, I'll point my bike towards Suches just to shake his hand.  I've had plenty of lame excuses to miss RWTW, but to see how a friend is doing sounds like a good excuse to ride to me....

I was hoping to sign up for this, but now I'm not sure where I'm going to be around this time of year.  We might be moving.

Volcantour said:
Nope, towing the RV with the Connie...  :rotflmao:  KLR is not large enough to hold all the gear this boy owns....

Just wait and see. I don't leave until the truck & trailer are full.

Kurt

Kurt is the man! That's some set up. I'll be "budget camping", no AC or hot tub! Just bourbon  :beerchug:

Phil
Cog 5879
'99 'lectric

Rock said:
Kurt is the man! That's some set up. I'll be "budget camping", no AC or hot tub! Just bourbon  :beerchug:

Phil
Cog 5879
'99 'lectric

Unless it's really, really hot, you'll make more friends wit dat bourbon!  I'm hopin'  Kurt will let us put some
beer in one of his walk-ins.

I'm seein' some new names on the attendee's list  :great:. Still needing more folks, including some of you "ol' timers. This is a great rally in what is, arguably, the best riding area in the country. It's a pretty easy ride over to the Tail of the Dragon but it's right on Wolf Pen Gap Road, which is easily as challenging as TOD (just doesn't have the same PR dept.). Then there's US 60 between Dahlongea and Blue Ridge and US 129 over Blood Mountain and ...  :motonoises:. Well, you get the idea. Wildcat Lodge & Campground is a great location, friendly folks. They can provide breakfast and have a general store to handle whatever sundries you may require. SECOG will be providing supper on Friday (rumor has it there will also be a chilled container of a beverage made of malted barley, hops, yeast, and water  :beerchug:) AND there will be a sumptuous repast for all on Saturday. Campfire conversation each night. Great time. The only thing missing is you  :)! Don't miss out, you'll regret it. :-[

Ranger Jim said:
I'm seein' some new names on the attendee's list  :great:.

Jim, I just checked it out and there are some names I don't recognize which is great to see.  I have registered, but in the past I waited until the last minute.  :-[  After hosting a few COG rallies I know how important it is to register early so the rallymeisters can get a good idea as to what to plan for.

Since I have registered  :) I urge everyone to register early.  It is only $10 for COG members to register so you won't be out much if you find out you can't go.  :great: This will be my 13th RWTW and looking to see everyone there 

You talked me into it. I normally wait till the last mintute also, but I'm registered now.

Cliff  :beerchug:

COGnosticat0r said:
reid53 said:
Done!  See you guys there Thursday afternoon. :motonoises:

Is Joni going?  Jean will be there, on her bike if it doesn't crap out on the way, in the car if it does  ;D
Right now Jerry no, Joni isn't coming.  She's not much for camping and there are no beds left in the lodge.  Just me this time. :motonoises:

Reid, sounds like camping time??? No problem, just hate to haul all that stuff!! But, once you get the A/C & 300 ft of cord balanced it is not bad!!  :)

Just jumped into the pool. I figure even if I don't have the bike with me at work in Atlanta, I'll drive up in the *gasp* car. Gonna get my tent site reserved now too. Sorry I can't ride up with some of the Floriduh crowd, but hope to ride with y'all up here.

Mike

Bugnut said:
Just jumped into the pool. I figure even if I don't have the bike with me at work in Atlanta, I'll drive up in the *gasp* car. Gonna get my tent site reserved now too. Sorry I can't ride up with some of the Floriduh crowd, but hope to ride with y'all up here.

Mike

Will Gnomeo be able to handle riding in the cage???? 

Bugnut said:

Mike
:great:

I wanted everyone to know that I'm working with Bill Johnston, the new owner of TWO, and we'll have overnight accommodation options listed here for our non-camping riders soon. The main lodge has been completely remodeled with a new high end commercial kitchen, and over the lodge will be a ten to twelve bed arrangement configured in a four room layout. One or two rooms will have a queen bed, which might appeal to couples.
I'm working out the details with him right now, as everything is so new they don't have a price set yet. As soon as details are final, the information will be here ASAP  Al

IronButtAl said:
I'm working out the details with him right now, as everything is so new they don't have a price set yet. As soon as details are final, the information will be here ASAP  Al

Al, thanks for keeping us up to date, not for the RWTW but for other trips I will make to the area  :great:

The March issue of RIDER magazine has a nice write-up about the roads in the area  :mad:. Don't these people know we want to keep it a secret?  :motonoises:

This follows articles in Motorcycle Consumer News about NW Georgia (June 2011), Johnson City TN (Sept 2011), and Barber Vintage Festival (Jan 2012). We're doomed... :'(

Ranger Jim said:
The March issue of RIDER magazine has a nice write-up about the roads in the area  :mad:. Don't these people know we want to keep it a secret?  :motonoises:
I'm thinkin it's a bit late on that secret thing. We have been quite successful on keeping Floriduh's best roads out of the limelight, however.  :great: :rotflmao: :beerchug:

SteveJ. said:
Ranger Jim said:
I'm thinkin it's a bit late on that secret thing. We have been quite successful on keeping Floriduh's best roads out of the limelight, however.  :great: :rot :great:flmao: :beerchug:
:great:

Go figure.

Ranger Jim said:

:mad:  is just how I felt when I saw the article. I started riding those roads in the mid-70's when I was in college in the area and you could ride all day without seeing more than 1-2 other bikes. Seriously. But now.....  But those roads are indeed superb.

The rally team has been hard at work getting this year's RUN WITH THE WOLF rally squared away  :). We are putting together some rally swag and working on the meal issues. Presently it looks like our dear leader, AL, is going to spring for burgers (with trimmings) on Friday night  :great:. Rumor has it that he'll also be providing some kind of beverage made of malted barley, some kind of plant called "hops," yeast (yeast?) and water. Can't imagine what that might be. :rotflmao:  If you haven't signed up yet, what the heck are you waiting for  ??? ? It's the prime chance to get your "twisty" fix at the start of the prime riding season  :motonoises:.  We had about 70 folks attend last year's rally and we want to break 100 this year but we can't do it without YOU. If you don't show up we'll talk about you. :nananana: 'Course we'll talk about you anyway but you'll have the opportunity to defend yourself if you're there. Come one, come all. :welcome:

I was up there today and it was really foggy. I saw 1 bike, a KLR soldiering on through Woody's Gap in the mist. Beautiful.

Just signed up.... no excuses since this is so close to home! Look forward to meeting everyone!

Russ :beerchug:

THANKS JERRY ! :You_Rock_Emoticon: :sign0098: :pDT_Armataz_01_37:  Anybody got any RIDING pictures? BUGNUT! YOU OUT THERE?

Here's a ridin pitcher....go Brenda!! :motonoises: :motonoises:

Attachments

• P1040828 (Medium).JPG
    P1040828 (Medium).JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 101
Here's a couple more......nearly riding :)

Attachments

• P1040840 (Medium).JPG
    P1040840 (Medium).JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 101
  • P1040846 (Medium).JPG
    P1040846 (Medium).JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 102
Ranger Jim said:
THANKS BRIAN! :great: :)  You showin' up this year?

It's a long shot, but I would not rule it out. It'd be great to see you guys AND get me some of that Krambonzzzz Q >:D

I have yet to find a better place for ribs.  :103:

2Fast said:
Ranger Jim said:
THANKS BRIAN! :great: :)  You showin' up this year?

It's a long shot, but I would not rule it out. It'd be great to see you guys AND get me some of that Krambonzzzz Q >:D

I have yet to find a better place for ribs.  :103:

Krambonz does not suck.

Nice pics. You managed to catch some Florida Steves in action, sort of. :motonoises: :motonoises:  :great:

coffee_brake said:
MMmmmmm Krambonz....and Jim's Smokin' Q. It's hard to decide which is better!
Jim's Smokin Q is awesome.  Then followed by a night time dash up Wolf Pen Gap Rd. to get back home!  Wheeeeee.... :motonoises:

reid53 said:
coffee_brake said:
MMmmmmm Krambonz....and Jim's Smokin' Q. It's hard to decide which is better!
Jim's Smokin Q is awesome.  Then followed by a night time dash up Wolf Pen Gap Rd. to get back home!  Wheeeeee.... :motonoises:

You have a strange appetite...  >:D

Ok dash may not be the best choice of words. But it was a neat ride and experience riding that road at night back to the Wildcat.  Love to do it again.  :motonoises:

reid53 said:
Ok dash may not be the best choice of words. But it was a neat ride and experience riding that road at night back to the Wildcat.  Love to do it again.  :motonoises:

You're crazy, you know that? Hwy 60 at night was bad enough. On Wolf Pen, It would have been a race between Tom and me to see who was last!! But then, I'm a straight and level road Floridiot!

There was no race.  Looks like I might be solo on this one.  Sure beats going all the way back thru Blairsville to get back. 

After many emails and phone conversations with Bill Johnston, the new owner of TWO in Suches, GA, here-to-forthwith referred to as Two Wheels Suches (TWS), the available information is listed below. This has been done to allow options for riders wishing to attend the 2013 RWTW rally in Suches, GA, but through a variety of reasons cannot camp with us at Wildcat Campgrounds.
Bill is going through the process of updating and modernizing all of the supporting structure and facilities in the campground, but is 90% confident that he will be open at the beginning of April. The entire lodge has been gutted and rebuilt with everything new. The variant on all of this process is getting the new permitting for the new commercial kitchen, water and septic, safety features, food handling certification....the list goes on and on. Here's the nitty gritty of the overnight accommodations;
There will be two rooms with two beds, and one room with three. Base price for one person occupying one bed in one room is $50.00/night, and the second bed would be an additional $10.00. Two riders in one room sleeping in separate beds = $60.00/night, or $30.00/night per rider. If members can get together and rent the whole loft, with a potential of sleeping seven riders, that would come to a $23.00/night share. Cost of the loft for a group is $160.00/night. There will be one shared shower in the loft. I plan on talking to Bill again on his one rider/one night price structure, but this is what he is looking at for price presently. The one negative at this time is the lack of a reservation system, as he's going is so many directions it hasn't occurred to him to do the details such as this. My recommendation would be to have a COG member who is considering this option take over this and start a separate thread titled something similar to RWTW Overnight  Options, as the way things are going now, there will be thirty pages under the RWTW header by rally time. We'll have more information available in three weeks when Bill and I talk again. There might also be some adjustment or modifications to some of this information, but I'm confident this will be a good option for rally attendees.
Someone should start this rolling soon, so riders on the fence can make a decision.  Al

IronButtAl said:
After many emails and phone conversations with Bill Johnston, the new owner of TWO in Suches, GA, here-to-forthwith referred to as Two Wheels Suches (TWS), the available information is listed below. This has been done to allow options for riders wishing to attend the 2013 RWTW rally in Suches, GA, but through a variety of reasons cannot camp with us at Wildcat Campgrounds.
Bill is going through the process of updating and modernizing all of the supporting structure and facilities in the campground, but is 90% confident that he will be open at the beginning of April. The entire lodge has been gutted and rebuilt with everything new. The variant on all of this process is getting the new permitting for the new commercial kitchen, water and septic, safety features, food handling certification....the list goes on and on. Here's the nitty gritty of the overnight accommodations;
There will be two rooms with two beds, and one room with three. Base price for one person occupying one bed in one room is $50.00/night, and the second bed would be an additional $10.00. Two riders in one room sleeping in separate beds = $60.00/night, or $30.00/night per rider. If members can get together and rent the whole loft, with a potential of sleeping seven riders, that would come to a $23.00/night share. Cost of the loft for a group is $160.00/night. There will be one shared shower in the loft. I plan on talking to Bill again on his one rider/one night price structure, but this is what he is looking at for price presently. The one negative at this time is the lack of a reservation system, as he's going is so many directions it hasn't occurred to him to do the details such as this. My recommendation would be to have a COG member who is considering this option take over this and start a separate thread titled something similar to RWTW Overnight  Options, as the way things are going now, there will be thirty pages under the RWTW header by rally time. We'll have more information available in three weeks when Bill and I talk again. There might also be some adjustment or modifications to some of this information, but I'm confident this will be a good option for rally attendees.
Someone should start this rolling soon, so riders on the fence can make a decision.  Al
Anybody with a last name of Johnston is OK in my book. :great:

Nice work, Al. I'm strictly a camper dude, so no help from me.

Edit to fix speeling, I gotta get more practice typing my name, apparently.  :rotflmao:

NO Reid, you won't be solo on the ride back. I think Mr. ohnston and myself might be able to hold on with our C10's ;)                  Al

IronButtAl said:
NO Reid, you won't be solo on the ride back. I think Mr. ohnston and myself might be able to hold on with our C10's ;)                  Al
I believe I'll be with Mr. ohnston  :s_laugh: and won't have any problem holding on because Black is faster.  :beerchug:

Y'all boys be careful on that road at night and listen out for banjos............

reid53 said:
There was no race.  Looks like I might be solo on this one.  Sure beats going all the way back thru Blairsville to get back.
Reid, Jennifer and I will be right behind buddy .. Wonder if she will laugh all the way again.. :rotflmao: